'Mosque' debate: where's Rudy Giuliani?

While discussing the mosque that is not a mosque planned for Lower Manhattan last night at dinner, it hit me: where is Rudy Giuliani?

We have heard repeatedly from a chorus of callous Republicans who think nothing of using the murderous acts of 19 Muslim terrorists to trash all of Islam while professing to respect religious freedom. Former House Speaker Newt Gingrich was particularly noxious yesterday on Fox News when he said, "Nazis don't have the right to put up a sign next to the Holocaust museum in Washington." Not as noxious but nevertheless odious yesterday on MSNBC’s “The Dylan Ratigan Show” was former New York governor George Pataki. Parroting the suspicion that the the backers of Park51 (the official name of the mosque that is not a mosque) are some sort of sleeper cell, Pataki said, “If it’s truly about sensitivity and understanding why do they do that?” Pataki asked. “Why does it have to be so close to Ground Zero? It raises questions in my mind that this is not about tolerance. This is not about worship....It’s about really poking a finger in our eyes and reminding us of this.”

Dana Milbank catalogs more of the ugliness in his column today. But the most tame comment came from Giuliani. "Come on,” he said, “we're going to allow that at Ground Zero?" Sure, the former mayor of New York City who escaped from his collapsed emergency command center near Ground Zero on Sept. 11 called the project a “desecration” and had some other choice things to say about its imam and his alleged ties to extremists. But Giuliani made these comments on a conservative radio show last month. That we even know he said this much is due to an Aug. 2 blog post from my former Daily News colleague Maggie Haberman, who is now at Politico.

Maybe Giuliani is too busy enjoying the summer in the Hamptons to jump back into the muddy puddle the ‘mosque’ controversy has become. Or maybe the rhetoric has gotten so heated, so over-the-top that even the man who became “America’s Mayor” on Sept. 11, 2001, has decided that it’s better for him to sit this one out.

By Jonathan Capehart  | August 17, 2010; 8:02 AM ET
Categories:  Capehart  | Tags:  Jonathan Capehart
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Stop being so mean to the 'Ground Zero mosque'
Next: More lame duck killers

Comments

I hadn't thought about Rudy commenting but it does beg the question why hasn't he been on all over TV as he usually is when the talk is about anything remotely connected to September 11th.

I wish the media would let the public know exactly where Park 51 is located and what else is on "sacred ground". I think the public would be surprised.

Posted by: rlj1 | August 17, 2010 10:00 AM | Report abuse

"As a Citizen, as the President of the United States, AND as a Muslim, I feel I should weigh in on all of this. I was BORN Muslim. My Father was Muslim. My Step Father was Muslim. My Mother converted to ISLAM. Let me be clear...I was raised in Muslim Kenya and Muslim Indonesia. I attended Muslim Schools. I remember they would teach us to KILL THE JEW that was hiding behind a rock. Death to America. Death to Israel. America is the BIG SATAN and Israel is the LITTLE SATAN."
"I knelt on my Prayer Rug, facing Mecca, 5 times a day, and prayed to ALLAH. I have taken NASA's Space Exploration Mission away from them, and instead, have directed them to bolster the Self Esteem of my Muslim Brothers. I am using TAXPAYER MONIES to pay for the CONSTRUCTION OF MOSQUES overseas. I have instructed my STATE DEPARTMENT to give the IMAM of this 911 Mosque, FREE TRAVEL in a U.S. Gov't. Jet, paid for by the American Taxpayers, all over the Middle East. I attended the Muslim Ramadan Dinner, but NOT the National Prayer Breakfast."
"In conclusion. You people are either too STUPID or too P.C. to confront what I'm doing, right in front of your STUPID WHITE FACES. Enjoy the new Mosque. And I'd like to thank all of the Dead Americans, that my fellow Muslims MURDERED on 911, for making this all possible. Good night, and ALLAH AKHBAR."

Posted by: GoomyGommy | August 17, 2010 10:05 AM | Report abuse

Gee Jonathan, are you as curious as to why Chuck Schumer hasn't weighed in on this, or are you reserving your curiosity for Rudy? Schumer can't resist opening his mouth about anything, but on this one, he's strangely silent. Why is that?

Posted by: Sally14 | August 17, 2010 10:24 AM | Report abuse

Jonathan: I appreciate your consistency. You supported South Carolina's constitutional right to fly the confederate flag over its Statehouse, you supported posting the Ten Commandments in a courthouse, and a creche in the town square in a display of support for First Amendment protections of religion, and you showed courage in publishing the Danish cartoons of Muhammad. And of course you vigorously condemned then-Sen. Obama's characterization of middle-America as "bitter" people "clinging to guns and religion".

Right?

Posted by: Irishmike1 | August 17, 2010 11:27 AM | Report abuse

Trust me! When groups start paying speakers to comment on the mosque ... Giuliani will be in the line up just like Gingrich, Palin, Dr. Laura, Dr. Joyce brothers and the rest of the GADFLY's.

Posted by: knjincvc | August 17, 2010 12:56 PM | Report abuse

please check out http://www.islamicsolutions.com/if-it-is-extreme-it-is-not-islam/

Posted by: Nabihah | August 17, 2010 1:59 PM | Report abuse

" former Mayor Rudy Giuliani said that the mosque would be a "desecration," and that "decent" Muslims should not object to his opinion."

examiner.com

Posted by: mbunatank | August 17, 2010 2:43 PM | Report abuse

goomy, pretty stupid post. In fact, real stupid post. Doesn't deserve anything further.

Posted by: mikel7 | August 17, 2010 6:02 PM | Report abuse

One reason for Rudy to be silent is that whenever he starts blurting out his fascist views, he knows he'll be on Comedy Central dancing in drag and spouting campaign rhetoric that directly contradicts whatever he's currently saying. Rudi tried to capitalize on 9/11 all the way to the White House, failed miserably, and now should just go away.

Posted by: dnahatch1 | August 18, 2010 8:28 AM | Report abuse

If you had your facts straight you would know that Giuliani came out against the Mosque at Ground Zero.
In fact if he was still mayor, it would never have been an issue in the first place.
Where are all the loud mouth New York politicians, Schumer and all?
Too chicken to do what's right?

Posted by: joanz3 | August 18, 2010 12:51 PM | Report abuse

Are you a paid hack for the Democratic Party?

Where does Andrew Cuomo, Democratic canddidate for governor stand on this issue? Where to the two NY Senators up for re-election stand on this issue?

Is it worse to be a callous Republican or a spineless Democratic, like Senator Harry Reid? Who, not only has taken a stand against the mosque, but is in the leadership, third ranking Democrat in the country after the President and Speaker of the House.

And speaking of Madam Speaker, she has come out not only for the mosque but againt political speach, callign for an investigation of the groups opposing the construction.

Posted by: krush01 | August 18, 2010 12:58 PM | Report abuse

No one in NYC cares where Rudy is!

He killed enough NYers by not providing working radios to the FDNY, by putting his Emergency Center in the WTC complex & following the GWB EPA false announcement of "clean air" as the pile continued to burn for months.

Rudy's down in Texas serving his old/new bosses.

Posted by: nyer11 | August 19, 2010 1:05 AM | Report abuse

Whoa, just a minute. Schumer said last week he WASN'T opposed to the mosque being built.That means he thinks it's okay to build the mosque there. This sneaky piece of garbage is trying to play both sides here. Get this arrogant, pompous bum out this Novemeber and that pig Gillibrand as well. She also is playing both sides saying she isn't opposed to mosque being built but is for moving it if community decides to. WTF? Take a side you bums.

Posted by: VotersOfNY | August 21, 2010 5:47 PM | Report abuse