The political gospel according to Rep. Paul Ryan

Y’all know I have a soft spot for Rep. Paul Ryan (R-Wisc.). Today’s Post profile of the Wisconsin Republican shows why. The budget hawk of the GOP has the cojones (thanks, Sarah Palin) to actually propose real ideas to bring the federal deficit under control. Many of those ideas would cause a firestorm if they were debated, let alone adopted. But at least he gives us something to consider.

In the story, Ryan also delivers what I’ll call the political “Gospel according to Paul” that explains why the daring, 40-year-old congressman is a leader in the GOP despite the leaders of the GOP keeping him at arm’s length.

"Political people always tell their candidates to stay away from controversy," said Ryan, 40. "They say, 'Don't propose anything new or bold because the other side will use it against you.'"

"It's really important, I think, not to run campaigns on some vague platitudes and rip down the other party, to hopefully win an election by default," he said. "You have to win an election by acclamation, by aspiration, by telling people who you are and what you are going to do, and then go do it once you get there."

That certainly reads like an indictment of the principles currently guiding the Republican Party today. At least someone within the party has the guts to say it.

By Jonathan Capehart  | August 2, 2010; 7:24 AM ET
Categories:  Capehart  | Tags:  Jonathan Capehart
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Get out of the race, Rep. Rangel
Next: Did the Bush tax cuts reduce revenue? Of course.

Comments

let's see , randy paul wants a pound of flesh from the middle class, and he wants to give it to the rich

Nice.

Posted by: newagent99 | August 2, 2010 12:48 PM | Report abuse

Gospel (ie:Good News)
I really could use some "good news". I think what Rep. Paul Ryan has proposed to bring our economy back is worth hearing but may be to much of leap of faith for a baptism in conservatism. I admit I'm a believer. It may be that others out in the congregation may want to make a commitment to such a radical theology. It could be that voice in the wilderness being raised could create that transformation within the people of the nation to bring about real change. I know how many people have come to believe they're being innoculated into accepting low growth, high unemployment, and falling wages for years.
Maybe that's only true if we keep on adding to the deficit, slow small business down with mandatory health care provisions and have the Federal government in charge of the economy by picking winners and losers. All of us could use some good news from Paul preaching the gospel, but only the choir may be listening.

Posted by: Sjspring | August 2, 2010 1:05 PM | Report abuse

Rep. Ryan has some good ideas, but on one major point he is flat-out evil: there is no way we working (and unemployed) Americans are going to let thieves and speculators pay no taxes on their investment and inheritances incomes.

Doesn't anyone remember the French Revolution? Is this what Rep. Ryan and the other "only the little people pay taxes" Republicans want for the U.S.?

Some people never learn, do they?

Posted by: roblimo | August 2, 2010 2:50 PM | Report abuse

Not sure why you like him- but....save that for another day

Rep Paul Ryan was on cspan washington journal --the day after Obama took office—and blamed Obama for the $12T debt and 20 M illegals!

Hard to listen to people that spin for ths sake of thier party and not facts or LOGIC!

Just can't follw the MURDOCH style for AMERICA- March 2009-- Dumb it Down Mr President!

Posted by: sasha2008 | August 2, 2010 2:54 PM | Report abuse

Ryan has great ideas to shrink our debt: Decrease retirement benefits for those under 55, tax SS benefits on the wealthy (no big deal to them--SS pmts to them are nothing compared to their cap gains/div/interest) and ELIMINATE taxes on capital gains, interest and dividends.

I call him RRR--Reverse Robinhood Ryan! People like him are the biggest reason I vow to NEVER vote Republican.

RRR is a good follow up act to RR:

Posted by: yogahelps2 | August 2, 2010 5:22 PM | Report abuse

Could I admire Paul Ryan any more than I do right now?! No, I don't think so.

He's smart and fearless ... a great American combination, if you ask me.

Posted by: bladyblah | August 2, 2010 8:14 PM | Report abuse