A limp response to Palin

I resisted. Really, I did. I saw Sarah Palin at the Glenn Beck rally and barely mentioned her. Bristol made it onto Dancing with the Stars (I guess this makes Bristol a star), and I stayed mum. Not a word about Palin's plans to go to Iowa. And I had no intention of mentioning the nasty new Vanity Fair piece about Palin -- not even the "roughly $3,000 worth of underwear" supposedly purchased for her by the RNC or the alleged hurling of canned good during a typical Sarah-Todd spat.

But then she goes and does it again. Makes me write about her.

Two words made me do it. "Impotent" and "limp."

As in Palin's comments to Sean Hannity about the Vanity Fair piece: "Those who are impotent and limp and gutless and they go on their anonymous -- sources that are anonymous -- and impotent, limp and gutless reporters take anonymous sources and cite them as being factual references."

As it happens, I think Palin had a legitimate beef with the Vanity Fair piece. It was very short on identified sources. You could hear a lot of axes being ground in the background.

But couldn't she have chosen different adjectives? The Vanity Fair writer, Michael Joseph Gross, is gay, which makes matters worse -- conjuring the stereotype of "limp-wristed." But whatever the sexual orientation of the offending reporter, Palin should not have been questioning his manhood.

There are sexist aspects to the commentary about Palin, as with other female politicians. Sometimes sexism is imagined or overplayed; sometimes it is real and deserves to be called out. A new campaign, Name It, Change It, has been launched to expose such episodes.

Governor, there were any number of other adjectives you could have used. You didn't need to go there -- and you shouldn't have.

By Ruth Marcus  | September 3, 2010; 3:40 PM ET
Categories:  Marcus  | Tags:  Ruth Marcus
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Let Rahm off the hook on that UAW expletive
Next: Barack Obama: Behind the teleprompter

Comments

Lay off Palin. She's going nowhere, and it's beating a dead horse to keep repeating it. The Conservatives love her, but she doesn't command enough respect from them to be anything more than a symbol, and a failed symbol at that. Give the poor lady a break, and let her enjoy her brief time in the sun.

Posted by: samsara15 | September 3, 2010 4:56 PM | Report abuse

Trying to turn poor little Michael into the victim of the evil Palin won't work.

Posted by: gatshanson1 | September 3, 2010 4:56 PM | Report abuse

samsara15: Oh please, she's had so much time under the sun that she should be a raisin by now.

Posted by: aksala | September 3, 2010 5:17 PM | Report abuse

You're being too hard on her. tee hee

Posted by: martymar123 | September 3, 2010 5:31 PM | Report abuse

Real sources have publicly disputed the numerous, outrageous lies in the VF article. Why don't you address that instead, Ms. Marcus?

I saw the Name It, Change It video and found it far more offensive than Palin's descriptors for Gross' writing.

Posted by: haiyaku | September 3, 2010 5:48 PM | Report abuse

The mere fact that she attacks with the vengeance she does is why people want to stay anonymous. Wasilla is still quite a small town and speaking about Sarah can cost one more than you know.
I believe a full media black out of Palin is the only way to make her go away! Period.

Posted by: Betty11 | September 3, 2010 5:56 PM | Report abuse

Look for Shannyn Moore's letter on Dave "the Journolist" Weigel's site about the sources that Gross used as "anonymous." We already know who they are. It's a cabal of like-minded haters that have joined together making up stuff about Palin since she was picked for VP candidate. They have public blogs and sites - it's no secret who they are in AK.

To say that Gross used anonymous sources because they are quaking in their boots from Palin is hilarious.

Posted by: haiyaku | September 3, 2010 6:12 PM | Report abuse

I don't mind that she questions his manhood.... Who doesn't like a a good catfight? Sarah Paliv vs the Gay Blogger? Heck, that's better than bikini mudwrestling.

My objections are more fundamental: she repeats herself. I try to avoid using the same adjective twice in one sentance. She repeated 3, and they were doozies... Does the poor woman even know what a Thesaurus *is*?

Think about it. She could have said "Those who are smart and intelligent and clever and they go on their reliable -- sources that are reliable -- and smart, intelligent and clever reporters take reliable sources and cite them as being factual references" and she would still sound completely scatterbrained.

She used the word "and" *six* times in one breath. (We should not call that utterance a sentance!)

This woman has a college degree in "communications" and "journalism"! Shouldn't this be what she is best at?

Strunk & White must be spinning in their graves...

Posted by: rwolf01 | September 3, 2010 6:13 PM | Report abuse

I write like palin...
limp, and lame journalists and blogers ....
they must be incinerated

Posted by: lucwelshman | September 3, 2010 6:47 PM | Report abuse

You tried to resist? Really? You write about Sarah Palin every chance you get. I'm no Sarah Palin fan, but it borders on some sort of unnatural obsession the way that you constantly write about her.

Just ignore her. She'll eventually go away.

And while you're at it, Ruth, update your picture. I saw you on PBS, I didn't even recognize you. That picture is like 20 years old.

Posted by: d-35 | September 3, 2010 6:58 PM | Report abuse

Don't miss Michael Gross' statement of regret to the AP today!

Posted by: haiyaku | September 3, 2010 7:23 PM | Report abuse

How does a "happy"-woman journalist ignore Sarah Palin?
How does Al Sharpton ignore fried chicken?

Posted by: lucwelshman | September 3, 2010 7:26 PM | Report abuse

This blog post is kinda lame you think?

Posted by: matt_1344 | September 3, 2010 9:45 PM | Report abuse

Funny. I never knew Mr. Gross was gay. Not until Ms. Marcus informed me of it. Even so, I figure its none of my business what Mr. Gross's bedroom partner preference is.

What is also funny to me is hearing Mr. Gross say he had the best of intentions going into the article and he was shocked at the terror Mrs. Palin inflicted on poor, unnamed people. I'm sorry, but if I see a writer who contributes to Vanity Fair and The Nation magazines, I'm guessing its a sure bet they don't have the best of intentions going into an article about any Republican, much less Mrs. Palin.

Ms. Marcus, along with Jonathan Capehart, should get over their obsession with Mrs. Palin.

Posted by: Rschrim1 | September 3, 2010 11:02 PM | Report abuse

Sarah Palin is the most exciting political figure to step on to the stage in years, in large part because she hits back harder than she gets hit and never apologizes. Here's a lady that can get in the ring with Vlad Putin and, well, not look like a limp wristed, impotent little puke. Palin has a lot more support out here than any of her detractor's yet realize, though a few are beginning to get an inkling.

Posted by: DaleSwingle | September 3, 2010 11:31 PM | Report abuse

Flip Wilson had a comedy routine years ago as Geraldine, who was always blaming his/her misdeeds on the 'devil' as in "the devil made me do it. Poor Ruth, she tries to cover up her fear and loathing for anything related to Palin by proclaiming her need to write about her.

Get a life Ruth, there are many topics that could be worthwhile reading about, but your obsession with Sarah Palin is not one of them. I manage to skip right to the comments without bothering with a repeat of a previous column.

Posted by: annetta3 | September 3, 2010 11:43 PM | Report abuse

This is the silliest article I have read in a long time. You can't be serious Ms. Marcus? If I were the Vanity Fair writer I would be incensed that you had made me into a victom. Sorry, but you've gotta be a dingbat. Let the gay man speak for himself.

Posted by: ilikemudflats | September 4, 2010 12:10 AM | Report abuse

So, Ms. Marcus,

The Atlantic can run a marathon series impugning the birth of Trig
but its bad taste for Palin to give a second-rate hack the back of her hand after writing a blatant hit piece?

The left is so morally bankrupt that it scalds republican party leaders for bon mots but becomes outraged and calls it a witch hunt when a sitting democratic president is spanked for soliciting oral sex from an intern in the freaking oval office.

This is the kind of perverse morality pandemic on the left that with mathematical certainty will tame the democratic party for years to come.

Posted by: jcarpenter06 | September 4, 2010 12:26 AM | Report abuse

When Mrs. Palin used the word "limp", I don't think she was referring to Mr. Gross' wrist. I think she was referring to an area a little further down. Given the nature of what many on both the left and the right consider to be a hit piece, he deserves whatever she slings back at him. Get down in the mud and expect to wrestle a pig. Even one with lipstick.

Posted by: lopence | September 4, 2010 1:54 AM | Report abuse

Marcus is correct - but the whole is the tempest in a teapot...

Sarah Palin, hurled objects or not, is nothing.

Americans that believe she is admirable. Anyone who believes she has leadership qualities, are a real problem. People that dumb actually vote.

As for Palin's need to spit sexually defining words at men, hurl expletives at all members of the press, open her mouth and speak potty about all the folks that would have to vote for her or her endorsement, it is what it is... like a prostitute that hates men, earning a living from them anyway.

Posted by: dutchess2 | September 4, 2010 7:29 AM | Report abuse

So let me get this straight: for you it's ok to attack a woman for how she looks, sounds, and how many and what kind of children she has birthed, but to call a man a limp d@#K is off the charts? Really? Let her respond- have you ever had half the country HATE you and write articles on you even though you are not even running for anything? And once again you loose for even mentioning her name you idiot- you fall for it EVERY TIME

Posted by: dcjayhawk2 | September 4, 2010 7:40 AM | Report abuse

After all the relentless crap that you and your fellow lefties hurl at Palin, she is entitled to call you every name in the book. And tell your friend Capehart that his obsession with Palin should be discussed with a mental health professional.

Posted by: WashingtonDame | September 4, 2010 8:47 AM | Report abuse

Republicans certainly have sexual hang-ups! They rant and rave abiut sexuality, apparently because they have many unresolved issues, at least in their minds.

Palin? She is obviously sexually frustrated. She is far too obsessed with it. Next she'll be telling us whether she is a nymphomaniac or hubby is impotent, or she is impotent. Not that it matters, but it's the logical result of her obsession.

Posted by: AMviennaVA | September 4, 2010 8:48 AM | Report abuse

She could have said, "Queer"...

Posted by: jpmenavich | September 4, 2010 8:49 AM | Report abuse

Palin criticizing one of her many critics. How dare she! Journalists know that if they write a "hit" piece on Palin, they will be published. She and her family have been disected personally and professional since her run for VP. "Anonymous source" is an easy out for personal opinion.

This article is hypocritical. Where is your moral outrage over the daily attacks on Palin and her family? My guess is that your "resistance" to write this piece was nonexistent.

Posted by: bethg1841 | September 4, 2010 9:16 AM | Report abuse

Sexism against female candidates including Hillary Clinton
has been off the charts. But for you it's a priority to
call Sarah Palin out for using the words limp and impotent to describe a reporter - words (look them up) that could be reasonably used to describe anyone without the courage of their convictions. When you say women need to take the high ground, you mean, in Palin's case, that she'd better not be touching the ground at all.

In the vein of taking personal responsibility for what you put out there Ms. Marcus: Sarah Palin does not make you write about her any more than a bottle makes you drink.

Posted by: MaryLouR | September 4, 2010 9:17 AM | Report abuse

I usually agree with you, but this time I think you're wrong. First of all, her mishmash of words that she put together as a semblance of a sentence to use those three adjectives together as many times as she could were obviously feed to her by someone, probably that witch that writes her Facebook posts.

Secondly, "Game Change" used anonymous sources, and newspapers do it all the time. Why are reporters criticizing Michael Gross? He made it clear why many people were afraid to identify themselves. You're giving her a pass in her effort to delegitimize the press so that her adoring fans will not believe anything coming from, shall I call it, the "sanestream media"?

Posted by: MassaD | September 4, 2010 9:29 AM | Report abuse

Ruth Marcus writes on the topic that is sure to attract readers - Sarah Palin.

The reason that Sarah Palin can rally so much anti-Democrat sentiment in the U.S., is that the MSM hates Palin so much. Palin's popularity is directly attributable to the media's cluelessness. Here, Ruth Marcus demonstrates her own cluelessness.

Posted by: pilsener | September 4, 2010 10:22 AM | Report abuse

Lay off Palin? We would be happy to do that if she would just stay out of our face. But the media keep shoving her down our throats.

Look. It would be one thing if she held some political office, or if she announced her intentions, or if she would subject herself to the normal scrutiny other candidates for office gets. But--just like her counterparts in the right wing noise machine of talk radio--she hides out, making glib and ridiculously partisan statements, some of them flat out lies, from her smelly little perch on Facebook. Just as Limbaugh hides behind his "Golden EIB microphone from the farty confines of his pathetic broadcast booth, never ever subjecting himself to the crucible of back-and-forth scrutiny his television counterparts get when they make controversial statements, so Sarah hides behind her silly little Twitter enterprise, where she doesn't have to face public scrutiny.

Why is it that the right is so cowardly about subjecting themselves to scrutiny? Can it be because they know they will be exposed for the lying hypocrites they are?

Posted by: jaxas70 | September 4, 2010 10:45 AM | Report abuse

What a hoot! Anonymous sources eh? Well, now the shoe is on the other foot isn't it? The media have been happy as little piglets wallowing in feces to float every single anonymous source for some of the unimaginably silly wacko conspiracy charges against President Obama. POLITICO happily printed up every unfounded sludgy piece against Obama but now, Ben Smith is desperately trying to debunk Gross' charges against Palin.

How does it feel Sarah? You've been slinging feces at Obama and now some of it has come back to hit you right in your smug, little right wing face!

Posted by: jaxas70 | September 4, 2010 10:53 AM | Report abuse

After reading some of these comments it is quite obvious, once again, that liberalism is a mental disorder manifested politically much like religious conviction seen during manic episodes of BiPolar disorder. Lithium tinged drinking water, as with flouride, should do the trick.

Posted by: cunn9305 | September 4, 2010 10:58 AM | Report abuse

Liberals' Sticks and Stones Losing Potency

Posted by: skillssss | September 4, 2010 11:10 AM | Report abuse

Sarah Palin will never appeal to her detractors, and they will attack eveything about her, her politics, her family, her religions, Etc, if she is so dumb and stupid why all the fuss and money invested to write about or against her, the called her stupid and some other names in the book, but anyone that would like to have an inteligent debate wont address her directly, I am not a fan of her, but I admire her perseverance and determination, as any human being, she has made made and will make mistakes, but she has a track record, contrary to our president, he did not, he was elevated almost to a superhuman level and he has shown that he is not the answer for all our troubles, however some people sees on him a figure of perfect nature,almost mesianic, and the solution for everything, he and whoever sits on the Oval Office in the future will never be the answer, we need someone that will bring balance to our nation, unfurtunatelly now we are leaning more to democratic socialism that has been proven to fail, I am not advocating to vote for Palin for president, but she might have more in common with regular americans, probably more common sence and the experience that we all have , Mr Obama's past is intriguing,the outcome of the past elections could have been different if we would have more information about him however I do admire him for his achivement, his advisors conducted a masterful campaing and was elected president, but the policies now in place and the people that were appointed to key positions do not reflect the majority of the people,I hope that we cast our votes in the next elections with our intelligence and not our feelings

Posted by: sermaus01 | September 4, 2010 12:22 PM | Report abuse

I didn't read the papers much last year, have I missed something, who is Sarah Palin, anyway?

Posted by: johnnormansp | September 4, 2010 12:42 PM | Report abuse

I'm looking forward to the day that jourbalists like this and many of these posters to have to write and say the words "president-elect Palin" and "President Palin" because I can hear the gnashing of their teeth and hair-pulling from way back here in 2010. I will personally raise $2 million dollars for Governor Palin and their are tens of millions of supporters like me. Do the math.

Posted by: sandbear | September 4, 2010 1:36 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: sandbear | September 4, 2010 1:38 PM | Report abuse

Gross, appropriately names is worked up because palin attacks President Husain? Well, I voted for President Husain, and he has done very well untill he sided with the Muslims on the Mosque issue. Well, all negro americans have a soft spot for muslims. Many feel that is their reiligion. Its founder was a negro, wasn't he? So, I don't blame President Hussain for siding with the Muslims. Just that I decided to distance myself and probably vote for Repubs from now. I hope the Democratic party is the inclusive party of all the negros of all kinds, Muslims, Gays, Lesbians, Bi, Transgender peoples of all races and nations, and no one else. May be include the most liberal fringe and of the feminist. No one else, please.

Posted by: lucwelshman | September 4, 2010 2:45 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: lucwelshman | September 4, 2010 2:49 PM | Report abuse

So Ms. Palin says nasty things about journalists who say nasty things about her. Not much of a stateswoman, is she?

The journalists, by contrast, are nature's noblemen, aren't they?

It really would be much more interesting to see a column that attempts to explore Palin's visceral appeal to what seems to be a significant minority numbering in the millions.

But it's easier to write about the mud-wrestling and to pass over the inconvenient truths (sorry, Al Gore!) behind it.

Posted by: hambya | September 4, 2010 3:19 PM | Report abuse

Gee whiz, without Dr. Ruth here ~ this is THE Dr. Ruth, right? ~ anyway, without her knowledgeable gaze I would have never guessed this Gross guy was gay ~ he is, after all, so terribly well closeted.

I guess he won't be making that trip to Dubai Fur Shur.

Posted by: muawiyah | September 4, 2010 7:34 PM | Report abuse

jaxas70 ~ sounds like you don't like Sarah, but i bet you totally despise Eskimos, right?

Typical Leftwingtard racist of the worst sort ~ gets all worked up over folks in multi-racial marriages.

Did you realize we've never had a major party VP or VP candidate who was married to someone of another race except for Sarah Palin!

's fact.

We;ve gotta' do something here to make inter-racial dating before marriage MANDATORY. Drag these people out of their closets and into the streets and make' em go TECHNICOLOR before settling down.

See what it's like on the other side.

Posted by: muawiyah | September 4, 2010 7:40 PM | Report abuse

The veneer is cracking more and more with Palin. She has no class; she never has. McCain's campaign tried to clean her up, buy her some clothes -look how that turned out. Did you ever know another Vice-Presidential Candidate of so little consequence that she/he couldn't provide his/her own clothes? We have a trashy culture. Now her daughter who is known only for being her daughter and having a daughter out of wedlock is on Dancing with the Stars. This country needs to take a deep breath and look in the mirror.

Posted by: withersb | September 5, 2010 7:16 AM | Report abuse

Marcus,

Palin was specifically directing her ire at what she called "yellow journalism"... reporters who use "anonymous" sources.

Curiously you missed the point.

As the Advocate pointed out "impotent, limp and gutless" are not associated with being gay.

Perhaps dear Ruth.. are you hiding any homophobia ?

Posted by: pvilso24 | September 5, 2010 8:47 AM | Report abuse

Poor Todd.

Can you imagine being married to this shrill harpy?

"You have no cajones, Todd."

"You're impotent, Todd."

"You're limp, Todd."

"You need to get some V!agra from Limbaugh, Todd."

"I have a bigger willy than you do, Todd."

Posted by: areyousaying | September 5, 2010 9:57 AM | Report abuse

The last sad and pitiful refuge of a Glenn Beck Christian:

Posted by: lucwelshman

Posted by: areyousaying | September 5, 2010 10:02 AM | Report abuse

Probably the first thing the Post should do when hiring a columnist is to make sure they have a good understanding of the English language. The leap of logic here is enough to make English teachers all over the US cringe. The term "limp" in the context of Ms. Palin's speech/comments does not equate to the term "limp-wristed," nor when one says "limp" in the context of "impotent" does it immediately conjure up an image of gays or connote gay-bashing any more than it conjures up thoughts of the Long Island Motor Parkway or calling a bet in poker. It does connote something without power or ability, likening it to male virility, such as a "limp" argument. In Palin's case it was a criticism of a reporting source that does not have the power of facts or a strong argument so they weakly snipe using unsubstantiated fact and innuendo, such as the cost of clothing, marital arguments, or the choice of a TV network as to their guest contestant. None of these items make any argument against the political prowess or public popularity of Ms Palin. They are mudslinging, blunt, pointless, impotent (without power), and limp as a piece of wilted lettuce. Ms Marcus would do well to learn colloquial English before attempting to make the argument that Ms Palin is disparaging the sexual orientation of the Vanity Fair writer. Her argument is also "limp".

Posted by: bluedog_IQT | September 5, 2010 10:37 AM | Report abuse

Po' wittle Sarah.

When she walked out on that stage in '08 and threw the first punch, SOMEBODY should have told her she was getting in the fight of her life.

She has continued to sling punches and mud.

Well, what goes around, dearie, comes around.
***

Posted by: Evenfoolsarerightsometimes | September 5, 2010 10:49 AM | Report abuse

"Evenfoolsarerightsometimes" said: "Po' wittle Sarah.

She has continued to sling punches and mud.

Well, what goes around, dearie, comes around.
***"

Sounds like you had a point in there somewhere, but I can't for the life of me see what it is. Perhaps you and Ms Marcus should both go back to writing school.

Ms Palin hasn't whined or complained but has taken the struggle to the opposition and not let them get away with poorly constructed arguments, personal attacks, half-truths and made-up "facts". So when she calls Vanity Fair on their poor journalism -- you know, the great news and commentary periodical Vanity Fair; just "People" magazine for high brows -- the Marcus reply is a clueless response and yet another unsubstantiated personal attack. Another in the continuing slide of the Post's journalistic reputation.

Posted by: bluedog_IQT | September 5, 2010 12:11 PM | Report abuse

There are plenty of on the record criticisms of Palin, ranging from former Wasilla city councillor Nick Carney, who groomed her for her first ever race to Republican state legislators John Harris and Lyda Green; all can be found online and are dated at the time she was picked as McCain's running mate.

Second, anyone who does a cursory glance at FactCheck, PolitiFact, AP, Reuters, Anchorage Daily News and Juneau Empire can see most if not all of her claims have fallen apart under critical review.

Lastly, anonymous sources have been a staple of political reporting and any reporting for that matter for some time. Woodward & Bernstein anyone? Last night, after Cardinals QB Matt Leinart was cut, his former teammates and opposing coaches all spoke derisively of him, off the record. Are they incorrect too? Their statements have been proven by his on and off field performance; seeming obsession with Hollywood and celebrity and not becoming an elite QB like Kurt Warner.

Palin is the same way. Obsessed with the spotlight and leveraging her past elected posts and VP run to inject herself into every issue and debate without actually debating. She was given a chance to speak her piece to VF and refused. Sorry, but that is her own fault. She refuses to speak to any media but Fox but when someone says or writes critically of her, she runs right to Fox or Hannity's radio show and whines that the evil media is picking on her.

Is this the type of person we want at the helm of the awesome machinery called the United States of America? Could ANYONE honestly imagine her at the G-20, speaking to world leaders like Sarkozy, Hu Jintao, Cameron or Medevedev? She is tawdry, unsophisticated, undeducated and cheerfully ignorant of anything that does not exhalt or profit Sarah Palin.

Posted by: Handsome19781 | September 5, 2010 3:30 PM | Report abuse

I find Mrs Marcus' comment ("No male politician accused a female reporter of being hormonal or frigid") curiously egocentric. More important in my estimation, is that a male politician (Obama) would make an insultingly sexist remark about a female opponent (Hillary Clinton) during the primary in 2008. More egregious is that the mainstream media in its blind support of Obama paid no attention to Obama's comment. To quote Obama: "I understand that Senator Clinton, periodically when she's feeling down, launches attacks as a way of trying to boost her appeal." The Daily Kos link that discusses Obama’s statement is:

Posted by: Paaa | September 5, 2010 4:03 PM | Report abuse

Ruth,
How did you equate Palin's "limp" comment to "limp-wristed" thence to Michael Joseph Gross? This type reasoning would lead one to conclude that if you were asked why grass is green, you would opine that someone had spraypainted the dirt green.

Posted by: mhodgkin | September 5, 2010 4:23 PM | Report abuse

Post#2
Ruth, I am curious about something that has intrigued me ( and possibly others) what is it that enrages persons such as yourself (and NOW) to denigrate women like Palin or Dole?
I have yet to see any pro-womans group decry the hideous torment that women in the Middle
East, Somoli, to name but a few, undergo? Yet you

Posted by: mhodgkin | September 5, 2010 4:38 PM | Report abuse

Post#2
East, Somolia, name but a few, undergo? Yet you will unashamedly bash your fellow "sisters" for accomlishing the very acts that you championed for years. Your hypocrisy betrays you; the only successful woman you could support is yourself, or the one that could propel you along your own path.

Posted by: mhodgkin | September 5, 2010 4:48 PM | Report abuse

Homesexuals and women are synonamous. They're both limp wristed and undecisive, and of course, femine. Who cares? Men will always dominate. OK! Standing by for the homo and famale rhetoric. LMAO.

Posted by: ioweioweoff2workigo | September 5, 2010 5:50 PM | Report abuse

Tina Fey hosted a Saturday Night Live rerun last night. Is Palin still paying Tina royalties for her help in creating an on-air persona?

Posted by: roblimo | September 5, 2010 6:35 PM | Report abuse

Palin's power?

She LISTENS to people's legitimate concerns about governance under our Constitution, and ACKNOWLEDGES those concerns via mass media.

There is no better example of the rarity of the listening skill ! Thank you Sarah.

Posted by: DiscerningCitizen | September 6, 2010 6:16 AM | Report abuse

Palin's response was very appropriate after that gay writer wrote such a stupid piece about her. He writes for Advocate magazine and yes Ruthie its a gay publication. Some how they feel threatened by Palin and they think Obama has done so much for the gay movement. Too funny. He hasnt done anything for them or the black community but they havent awakened yet... Palin is not threat to gays and Tina Faye has made a fortune mocking her. Palin will have the last laugh on November 2nd and the headlines will read "Democratic Disaster"- and that will be the direct result of the radicals who took over the democratic party and rammed Obama down our throats.

Posted by: JUNGLEJIM123 | September 6, 2010 6:38 AM | Report abuse

Palin never whines or apologizes. So, do not try to defend her. Just take the criticism and give it back twice as forcefully. Do not fear, do not try to be politically correct.

Yeah, why hasn't President Obummer Hussain not done much for the negro americans? I wish he would give the negro american women a special stimulus money. It would be nice if Pressident Obummer Hussain expresses sympathy for Gross. If the economy had been better he would have come out very strongly in support gay marriage and declares that america deserved a gay supreme court judge.
Unfortunately, the economy is bad, so the negros are not getting billions in compensation and gays are not celebrated in the military and the US supreme court.

Posted by: lucwelshman | September 6, 2010 7:04 AM | Report abuse

Ms. Palin has the intellect of a flea. Simply being an aggressive narcissist doesn't qualify her to "get in the ring with Vlad Putin." Her kind of belligerence is not desirable in a leader. When did Republicans stop wanting their leaders to be smarter than themselves? The new criterion seems to be "the more ignorant, the better."

Posted by: Reason7 | September 6, 2010 8:27 AM | Report abuse

Of course that explains everything. That VF article was a poorly written hatchet job on Sarah but she shouldn't have said the article was limp?

It was a stereotypical catty piece. It did say more about the author than the subject.

Sarah was not diminished by those limp words.

Posted by: mlemac | September 6, 2010 9:36 AM | Report abuse

Palin is the Baghdad Bob of American Politics:

Posted by: jimmyzuma | September 6, 2010 10:01 AM | Report abuse

To Dale Swingle: For God's sakes PLEASE send Palin a couple of million and encourage her to run for President in 2012. You absolutely love her and I think that is just great! I'd love to see a debate between her and Obama and for that matter, and even better, a debate with Palin and Hillary Clinton!!! Bring it on Dale....go for it!!!

Posted by: ginger470132 | September 6, 2010 10:21 AM | Report abuse

Hey bethg, regarding your comment on Palin and "Disected personally and professional." Guess you forgot the Republican's "Witch Hunt" by the Republicans on Hillary and Bill Clinton for 8 plus years and the millions you and I paid in our taxes for that B/S huh? The "Impeach Clinton" bumper stickers appeared before his inauguration!

Posted by: ginger470132 | September 6, 2010 10:31 AM | Report abuse

Palin is Dead; Leave her buried!

If she weren't in the News she would be soon forgotten.

"Let the Dead Bury the Dead." And get on with the business at hand.

Posted by: ddoiron1 | September 6, 2010 10:48 AM | Report abuse

for crying out loud--when are people going to stop addressing the quitter as "governor?" She didn't complete even one term as governor, and doesn't deserve the honor of even being addressed as "former governor."

Posted by: melindamc | September 6, 2010 10:57 AM | Report abuse

Why, Ruth, is an intellectual and a superb writer such as you, so obsessed with Sarah Palin?

This is a simple word directed to a very bright, educated journalist. Jealousy? What else could it be? You just cannot not write about Sarah Palin.

Have you ever thought of making an appointment with a good psychiatrist?

Posted by: Kansas28 | September 6, 2010 11:18 AM | Report abuse

Guess Palin prefers journalists and sources that are "Hard" and "Potent."

She knows what they ant to do to her, and she wants to enjoy it.

From a genetic standpoint, it's easy to understand how Bristol failed so miserably at abstinence.

Posted by: interactidiomas | September 6, 2010 11:18 AM | Report abuse

Ruth, the first step is admitting you are powerless over Palin, that your life has become unmanageable. One day at a time-then start counting days. You know, eventually it will be like "it has been 20 days since my last Palin screed". It get's easier with time.

Posted by: carolinadreams | September 6, 2010 1:12 PM | Report abuse

Ruth--obsession is a disorder for which you can receive help--but only if you want it. That might not be good for your paycheck or even your paymasters' newspaper.

I have to laugh when I read at the end of the comments the request by said paymasters about the kind of comments they wish to receive. So impotent and limp. Sigh. I do miss the Grahams.

Posted by: mezzonotte | September 6, 2010 1:18 PM | Report abuse

Well, next to Berstein and Woodward, Ms. Marcus. ... You know. Context... Outing of.

Posted by: deepthroat21 | September 6, 2010 1:38 PM | Report abuse

"Got Tape"? wink. You know. For watergate lite.

Posted by: deepthroat21 | September 6, 2010 1:44 PM | Report abuse

I note the 'explanations' about limp referring to the wrist. For the time bong set aside the assumption being made. What is the expalanation for 'impotent'?

Posted by: AMviennaVA | September 6, 2010 3:57 PM | Report abuse

Palin makes this comment and you label her homophobic? I think you are a stupid, aging bimbo, so what does this make me?

I must admit, however, this wasn't your dumbest column of the past 12 months. The "Caroline Kennedy will restore Camelot" was. Nothing like supporting a dunce who cannot string two words together without a "you know" between them.

Posted by: brianc2221 | September 6, 2010 4:39 PM | Report abuse

Thank you for yet another lame, ridiculous attack on Palin. She just gets stronger and stronger because of it.

I guess you can't teach an old dog new tricks. Forget about implying my use of the word "dog" as an insult aimed at your gender. I freely admit it.

Posted by: TheLastBrainLeft | September 6, 2010 4:46 PM | Report abuse

"I'd love to see a debate between her and Obama and for that matter, and even better, a debate with Palin and Hillary Clinton!!! Bring it on Dale....go for it!!!"

Be careful what you ask for. These days Palin's arguments resonate with the masses far more than anything from Obama or Hillary. Carter couldn't wait to debate Reagan in 1980. How'd that work out?

Posted by: TheLastBrainLeft | September 6, 2010 4:52 PM | Report abuse

The Palin Derangement syndrome! Journolist-like rubbish from Ms Marcus. Impotence and erectile dysfunction is not a homosexual or heterosexual issue but Ms Marcus apparently thinks that homosexuals are all impotent. How bigoted of her.

Posted by: GiveMeThat | September 6, 2010 5:02 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Reason7 | September 6, 2010 8:27 AM
=====================================
At least the flea has a brain. You're dumber than a rock. Talk about Palin as a narcissist? Laughable. Especially with Obama: a classic malignant narcissist if there ever was one. I'd say get some professional help but you're well beyond reach now. Kook on!

Posted by: lure1 | September 6, 2010 5:20 PM | Report abuse

Ruth Marcus....what a sad sad little woman.

Posted by: bricko | September 6, 2010 5:38 PM | Report abuse

The two words impotent and limp brought Marcus out of the bullpen to throw a couple of brush back pitches. The quote, Fine, but women politicians have to keep to the high road if they don't want men making fun of their high heels. Impotent and limp? No male politician accused a female reporter of being hormonal or frigid.

This is called wild pitch or just missing the plate.

Posted by: ZebZ | September 6, 2010 7:23 PM | Report abuse

This is called wild pitch or just missing the plate.

Posted by: ZebZ | September 6, 2010 7:37 PM | Report abuse

NewsBusters| WaPo's Marcus: Palin Is Homophobic for Calling Reporters Limp and Impotent

Posted by: StewartIII | September 6, 2010 8:08 PM | Report abuse

Both Palin and Beck are a diversion created by the "Corporate-Political Elite" to get our focus off of the things that are really happening in our government. Let's keep our eye on the ball!

New conservative candidates, and a chance at a new day.

Remember the Democrat arrogance, how they forced the Health Care Scheme down our "collective" throats, Nancy Pelosi, Harry Reid, and Barack Hussein Obama. Remember how they wouldn't listen to the majority of the American People, and how they've passed legislation which is against the interest of the American People.

LET'S REMEMBER IN NOVEMBER!

Posted by: barrysal | September 6, 2010 8:50 PM | Report abuse

Oh good, another democrat media sock puppet who hates Sarah Palin like a good little flack. Really, groundbreaking stuff, WaPo.

Evidently, Eugene Robinson has competition for the title of "biggest wingnut mouthpiece."

And the newspaper industry doesn't understand why they're no more relevant than the telegraph.

Posted by: AverageBear | September 6, 2010 9:01 PM | Report abuse

Sarah Palin was born in the wrong state. She is the perfect "Redneck". She lies, is ignorant, throw things at her husband and had a pregnant daughter.

Does she have all her teeth??

Posted by: COWENS99 | September 6, 2010 9:08 PM | Report abuse

Um, COWENS99? Not to interrupt your irrational hatred of Governor Palin (good liberal! sit liberal! roll over, liberal! hate people different from you liberal!)

But by your definition, the moment Chelsea's new husband knocks her up - Hillary Clinton is living in a trailer park in Arkansas...ooooh...awkward.

Posted by: AverageBear | September 6, 2010 9:23 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: AverageBear | September 6, 2010 9:24 PM | Report abuse

I just listened to the interview Sarah Palin did with Sean Hannity. He started to mention the Vanity Fair article about Palin and he opined that Palin probably shrugs off bad press like "water off a duck's back" because these kind of attacks don't bother her. She replied by calling the writer of the article a limp, impotent reporter and asserted that reporters today are "wack". Hannity ignored her personal attack on the reporter and again asserted that criticism rolls off her "like water off a duck's back. Not only was the conversation sophomoric but very disingenuous. Of course the article bothered her or she wouldn't have launched the personal attack. Typical Palin; I think these two have their own version of reality.

Posted by: CMAN27 | September 6, 2010 9:33 PM | Report abuse

Palin says and does many things that are hypocritical. She called Obama and the Democrats "socialists" while governor of a state that collected royalties from oil and natural gas companies and distributed the money to the people. She talked of "death panels" being part of the health care bill while neglecting to mention that she signed a proclamation as governor encouraging patients to discuss end-of-life issues with their doctors AND LAWYERS. She derided Obama for using teleprompters during speeches while using the palm of her hand to keep track of the answers to pre-arranged questions in a one-on-one interview. She called her self a "mamma grizzly" but resigned her job supposedly because she was being harrassed by opponents. She feigned innocence when a protestor accused her of resigning her governorsip to become a celebrity, this after a book tour and numerous speaking engagements. The list goes on and on. All I needed to know about Palin I learned watching her first speech; the winking and the smirking were used by Palin to cover up the fact that her message was totally without substance.

Posted by: CMAN27 | September 6, 2010 9:45 PM | Report abuse

CMAN27: I couldn't help but notice none of your assertions have anything to do with Ms. Marcus's pathetic attempt at character assassination.

Posted by: AverageBear | September 6, 2010 9:55 PM | Report abuse

How about this for interesting...

Posted by: atlmom1234 | September 7, 2010 1:48 AM | Report abuse

How about this for interesting...

Posted by: atlmom1234 | September 7, 2010 1:48 AM | Report abuse

Interesting. I seem to recall that Sarah Palin did NOT mention anyone was gay. SO...is Marcus saying gay men are "impotent, limp and gutless"? Seems to me Marcus is making a leap in logic with no foundation. But then I expect no less.

Posted by: ChiefPayne | September 7, 2010 10:16 AM | Report abuse

First of all, I seriously doubt that Sarah Palin had any idea that Michael Joseph Gross is gay, not that it matters anyway. Second, Gov. Palin's comments appear directed at more than one reporter.

The real issue, as I see it, is Ruth Marcus' abject contempt and hatred for Sarah Palin, an antipathy that is shared by many of Ms. Marcus' cohorts among the liberal elite. It's high time for them to get over it.

Posted by: austinrl | September 7, 2010 10:49 AM | Report abuse

Ms. Marcus: I am not a Palin fan, but the way you interpreted her comments reveals more about you. Even if Palin meant to use a thinly-veiled swipes at the authors' sexuality in her comments, they are presumably big boys and can handle a little push back. I'm sure they knew that they were risking starting a food fight, so your mock horror at a what you infer to be Palin's innuendo falls flat. You mess with the barracuda, you get the teeth?

Posted by: pburich | September 7, 2010 11:47 AM | Report abuse

If anyone damages the reputation of gays it is lying ash wipes like Michael Joseph Gross, Perez Hilton and Bawney Fwank.

Posted by: FreedomFan | September 8, 2010 2:38 AM | Report abuse