GOP parade of horribles: Rich Iott

One of the reasons some Democrats are confident that they'll retain the House (by their fingernails, perhaps) is because "we have better candidates," as one senior Democratic Party official said at a briefing last week. That's a polite way of saying that the Republican Party is saddled with some truly problematic candidates. Case in point: Rich Iott of Ohio.

Joshua Green of the Atlantic unearthed this gasp-worthy photo in a story on Iott, second from the right, in a Nazi Waffen SS uniform.

RichIottNaziUniform.jpg

Iott explained that he was a part of a Nazi reenacting group called "Wiking" as "a father-son bonding thing." He added, "I've always been fascinated by the fact that here was a relatively small country that from a strictly military point of view accomplished incredible things. I mean, they took over most of Europe and Russia, and it really took the combined effort of the free world to defeat them. From a purely historical military point of view, that's incredible." He says he quit three years ago after his son lost interest.

I don't care what Iott's explanation or rationale is. He donned the uniform of the military of a murderous regime that spread across Europe and slaughtered millions of people -- Jews, gays, Jehovah's Witnesses, to name a few -- because they didn't meet the Aryan "master race" ideal. Iott's actions are so repugnant that he must not be elected to Congress. Ever.

By Jonathan Capehart  | October 11, 2010; 11:53 AM ET
Categories:  Capehart  | Tags:  Jonathan Capehart
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Rangel speaks -- about the draft
Next: Is Vince Gray worried about a Fenty write-in campaign?

Comments

Just hoping that Capehart could forgive me being a Confederate reenactor even though I'm Yankee born and bred. I reenact as a Confederate because I live in a West Virginia community that raised troops for the Confederacy (and our local group portrays one such unit). I also consider reenacting as (wait for it . . ) "acting." I love the history of the Civil War and happily choose to honor the men of both sides. Am I a Confederate or even a Confederate sympathizer? No, I'm a Confederate reenactor!--big difference.

So, Jonathan, do you forgive me for being a Confederate reenactor or not? Come to think of it, I don't care. As for Iott, he could be a scum bag (or not) for things that matter. Ask him about what he stands for.

Posted by: post_reader_in_wv | October 11, 2010 12:59 PM | Report abuse

What? No teabaggers posting to defend Iott's right to freedom of expression & free speech? Clearly this guy is one of their own--c'mon teabaggers, let's see some pride in one of your candidates! Iott represents everything you guys are for! Where's Palin et al--I'd love to hear what they have to say about this. Hypocrites & bullies who are beneath contempt.
At least Iott is upfront about what he believes in... after all, I'm quite sure plenty of teabaggers admire the Nazis & their agenda.

Posted by: nyskinsdiehard | October 11, 2010 1:07 PM | Report abuse

Oh MY GOD the horror! A low life Republican in Ohio no one has ever heard of in a WAFFEN SS uniform??? What will those evil Republicans do next???? THIS ONE IS A NAZI TEABAGGER! Now we have proof!!! THEY'RE ALL NAZI TEABAGGERS!!

OTOH, Jonathan I don't seem to recall you getting all fired up, upset and umbragey over this:

But I guess when the Democrats do it to defame a sitting Supreme Court justice it's all good, eh? At least they remembered the swastika. Good on 'em!

Hard to believe you get paid to repeat some third grade dribble that's been all over the net for quite awhile- especially after Republicans disowned the guy.

You're disgraceful.

Posted by: nolongersubscrtibe | October 11, 2010 1:34 PM | Report abuse

The way I see it Iott is not a member of a Neo-Nazi group. There is no record he is anti-Jewish or Black. What he is interested in is MILITARY HISTORY!!! To me there is a big difference between the two. Iott is like a Civil war reenactor who dresses up as a Confederate soldier because he is interested in the CSA. But just because he does doesn't mean that person supports slavery or secession!!! Iott has never said he admired Hitler or the Nazis only that he is interested in the military forces of that time. So before he is called a racist we should judge him on his record.. not some COSTUME he wears...

Posted by: sovine08 | October 11, 2010 1:50 PM | Report abuse

post_reader_in_wv @ October 11, 2010 12:59 PM wrote "Just hoping that Capehart could forgive me being a Confederate reenactor even though I'm Yankee born and bred."

Posted by: AMviennaVA | October 11, 2010 2:02 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: sovine08 | October 11, 2010 2:10 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: AMviennaVA
____
Dressing up as a Confederate does NOT defend slavery. It's HISTORY!!! It teaches kids what it was like during the Civil War. Tell me how do you do a reenactmet at Gettysburg withOUT Confederates???

Posted by: sovine08 | October 11, 2010 2:15 PM | Report abuse

sovine08 @ October 11, 2010 2:15 PM wrote "Tell me how do you do a reenactmet at Gettysburg withOUT Confederates???"

I don't care.

Posted by: AMviennaVA | October 11, 2010 2:28 PM | Report abuse

Let's take Iott at his word that he is not a white supremacist at all. And those Waffen SS re-enactors are all supporters of Israel, even though Dr. Josef Mengele was a member of the real Nazi division that they idolize. And, what a great bunch of guys for his teen son to bond with, and learn a few German commands from. Oh, and let's assume there was a legitimate reason for Iott to kick a black Santa Claus out the Toledo Christmas parade that he sponsored. No, there's no sign of anything wrong here, and I'm so glad the Republican Party agrees.

Posted by: WHill1 | October 11, 2010 2:34 PM | Report abuse

This is not the same as being in a Civil War group AT ALL! First off, this group's own web page has praised the SS as heroes. They call them brave soldiers fighting for their way of life. They clearly have issues and lean toward glamorizing the SS Nazis. Iott had all his pictures removed from their site. I wonder why?

Posted by: teacherman3 | October 11, 2010 2:44 PM | Report abuse

It's not just dressing up and reenacting. He was in awe of the Nazis -- just look at his own words: "I've always been fascinated by the fact that here was a relatively small country that from a strictly military point of view accomplished incredible things. I mean, they took over most of Europe and Russia, and it really took the combined effort of the free world to defeat them. From a purely historical military point of view, that's incredible." I mean, they took over most of Europe?? It took the free world to defeat them? That's a GOOD thing? To be admired? This guy is too clueless to be in Congress even if he's not a Nazi.
P.S. Glenn Beck? This is what they actually look like.

Posted by: fmjk | October 11, 2010 3:06 PM | Report abuse

Am I missing something ??? The guy, second from right, is in a Scottish Kilt with and WWII Scottish infantry top, he is not in a Waffen SS uniform. No German unit, I am aware of, ever wore kilts. The other 3 guys in the picture, Rightmost, Leftmost, and 3rd from the right, are in quasi Waffen SS uniforms. Is there an actual photo of Rich Iott in a Nazi Uniform. Probably not in the "best judgment" for an American Politician to wear a SS uniform, but I'm not seeing Rich Iott in a Waffen SS uniform. I'm not even seeing any Swastika's in the picture.

Posted by: asatorhessian | October 11, 2010 3:22 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: asatorhessian | October 11, 2010 3:24 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: teacherman3
_____
I haven't read the website so I don't know if they used the term "heroes" which would be wrong.. but "brave"? Again you don't think Confederate Civil War groups think the Confederate soldier was brave??? Yet they were fighting to continue slavery. Look the CAUSE can be wrong but that doesn't mean the soldier fighting it can't be brave. And certainly you have to say dressing up as Confederate soldier leans toward glamorizing them also. And why take the pictures down?? well maybe he knew people would get the wrong impression of him. BTW he played a Union soldier to for reenactments.. good thing he wasn't a Confederate or you'd say he must hate Black people too.

Posted by: sovine08 | October 11, 2010 5:33 PM | Report abuse

I don't care.

Posted by: AMviennaVA
_____

Posted by: sovine08 | October 11, 2010 5:39 PM | Report abuse

Was Capehart gasping at the Nazi uniforms or the fact that his socks don't match his kilt?

Posted by: peterg73 | October 11, 2010 6:47 PM | Report abuse

What is Iott reinacting, murdering Jews?

Nessus

Posted by: Nessus | October 11, 2010 7:11 PM | Report abuse

What is Iott reinacting, murdering Jews?

Nessus

Posted by: Nessus | October 11, 2010 7:13 PM | Report abuse

RICH IOTT = HOLOCAUST REINACTOR

Nessus

Posted by: Nessus | October 11, 2010 7:39 PM | Report abuse

RICH IOTT = NEVER MET A NAZI HE DIDN'T LIKE

Nessus

Posted by: Nessus | October 11, 2010 8:15 PM | Report abuse

RICH IOTT = NEVER MET A NAZI HE DIDN'T LIKE

Nessus

Posted by: Nessus | October 11, 2010 8:16 PM | Report abuse

sovine08 @ October 11, 2010 5:39 PM wrote "Yup and that's the sad part.. if you ask most school kids today they probably couldn't tell you what state Gettysburg was fought in or even what war. Of course I'm guessing you don't care if our kids know history or not either..."

Not only do I know in what state Gettysburg is, I can draw the state and locate Gettysburg on it. I can do that with many battlefields the world over. And I have not been to any of these enactments.

You see, junior, there are many ways to learn. Most importantly, you don't have to honor or pay lip service to bigots.

Posted by: AMviennaVA | October 11, 2010 8:50 PM | Report abuse

AMviennaVA wrote:
[responding to my comment about being a Confederate reenactor]
"Too bad. The Confederacy defended slavery. And the Confederates, after the Civil War, and many of their descendants until recently have been bigots. Not just against blacks, but just about everyone including whites who are not like them.

So shame on you for honoring them in any way. They are the kind of heritage that had best be flushed down the toilette with the rest of the excrement."
____________________________

And shame on you for being either so self-righteous or unintelligent (or both) as to be unable to distinguish between reenacting history so we can learn from it and actually advocating for the causes that historical characters espoused. Apparently such subtleties don't square with your rigid sense of propriety and aggrieved ideological rectitude. And apparently my telling you that I am not (and for the record, never have been) a Confederate sympathizer counts for nothing.

Are there Confederate reenactors that ARE such sympathizers? Of course there are, including some very unsavory ones, but I am not among them. (BTW, our unit is completely apolitical; a number of the guys reenact as Union soldiers when events need additional Union soldiers. Some also belong/have belonged to Union companies).

The irony here is that I in fact don't display the Confederate flag on my vehicle or my home because _I_ am not a Confederate (hey, dude, there IS no Confederacy!). But as an ACTOR, I'll march with that flag because it is historically appropriate to the occasion. And you can lump it while I do. But when the Klan shows up, I'll be marching against them. If you can't see the difference, you can probably see through a keyhole with both eyes.

So, were Peter Cushing, Lon Chaney, Bela Lugosi, and Vincent Price evil men because they often played evil characters on the screen? Gawd, grow up!

For you adults in the room, my entire point was to get persons to be able to distinguish between persons' historical interest involving reenacting and their personal beliefs. The fact the some reenactors DO espouse the beliefs of the persons they portray doesn't mean that all do.

As for Iott--Capehart (and Eric Cantor) should ask him what he believes. He MAY be a Nazi-sympathizing jerk. If so, I hope he's never elected. But in cases like this, rushing to judgment does nobody any favors.

Posted by: post_reader_in_wv | October 11, 2010 9:12 PM | Report abuse

This is a non-issue, because Iott was always a long shot at best. He never polled within single digits of the incumbent he was trying to unseat, so he was never actually electable.

Posted by: Simon23p | October 11, 2010 9:36 PM | Report abuse

Actually, there is at least one record of Iott being racist. He bullied his son's white roommates for money after Iott the Younger decided to break his lease, filing a lawsuit against the youths. Among other threats, Rich Iott said he would rent a room in the house to a person of color, claiming such persons are all thieves and practice animal sacrifice.

No. I am not kidding.

And, post_reader, yes, most Civil War re-enactors are part of the neo-Confederate movement. Even if a person were not, he would hear plenty of bigoted talk from those who are. Your willingness to associate with people who claim the South should have won the Civil War is troubling.

Posted by: query0 | October 11, 2010 10:46 PM | Report abuse

"And, post_reader, yes, most Civil War re-enactors are part of the neo-Confederate movement. Even if a person were not, he would hear plenty of bigoted talk from those who are."

Prove that. I don't believe it for a minute- I think you're the one carrying the prejudice. The Post Reader in WV is right- you need to grow up and learn the difference between espousing a cause and re-enacting history. Part of the reason there's been a resurgence of Nazism in Germany today is because many Germans haven't faced the past and gloss over that part of their history.

I can understand also Lott's fascination with Germany in WWII (note he didn't say Nazi's). They almost did conquer the western world- with very limited resources and manpower. Their combat kill ratio was 7 to 1. Any military historian will tell you that what they accomplished was an incredible feat and a very interesting facet of history.

As for Capehart trying to make hay out of this- it is deplorable. All he did was promote partisanship and division- to the detriment of civil discussion.

Posted by: nolongersubscrtibe | October 12, 2010 8:36 AM | Report abuse

nolongersubscrtibe @ October 12, 2010 8:36 AM: WHY are you still here, if you no longer subscribe? Are you another one of those who wants the government to stay of your MediCare?

That said, a slight correction on Germany in WW2: The Germans were clobbered! They did well on the western front, to be sure. But they were scared of the eastern front. Remember: They had to keep 2 million troops just to control Serbia and Greece; and Russia was the bogeyman (that's where Germany lost the war you know!).

But that has nothing to do with the traitors who waged war on the Union and the bigots who have gone after everyone who is not like them, since!

Posted by: AMviennaVA | October 12, 2010 9:57 AM | Report abuse

post_reader_in_wv @ October 11, 2010 9:12 PM: Temper, temper. Your tantrum aside, that flag flies over the SC Capitol for a reason. And the modern bigots waive it, and have it on their cars and trucks.

I have no need to differentiate between the true believers and the actors.

By the way, there never were such things as vampires and werewolves. But there were Confederates who waged war on the Union. You might try to distinguish between them.

Posted by: AMviennaVA | October 12, 2010 10:04 AM | Report abuse

Of course they were clobbered! But think how different history might have been if they had not gone after Russia and the UK much less bringing the US in the war- Europe might be a German superpower today and God help the Jews and the others who were (and would have been) murdered. IMO that's what makes their foray into WW2 so fascinating- a small country, lead by a madman, conquered continental Europe and started a world war....and then there are the parallels with Napoleon. From a social, military and strategic standpoint it is an incredibly interesting period. Not to mention one we should never forget or repeat.

Posted by: nolongersubscrtibe | October 12, 2010 10:35 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: nolongersubscrtibe | October 12, 2010 10:36 AM | Report abuse

to all,

and any of you readers wonder WHY "the average American" is turning AGAINST the DIMocRATS Party after reading the STUPID BILGE, hate-FILLED fiction & IGNORANT DRIVEL posted by the "progressives" on this thread?

sorry DIMocRATS, but brain-LESS, ignorant, SILLY attacks on decent people like Mr Lott for being an amatuer historian, WWII re-enactor & other similar FOOLishness is precisely why your party is going to LOSE BOTH houses of Congress in about 3 weeks & soon to be as DEAD as the Whigs are.

note to all: IF you are angry at & throughly disgusted with the DIMocRAT Party, join your local TEA PARTY group. - you will be WARMLY WELCOMED & then "put to work" to recapture our republic from the grasp of BHO, the "ruling class" & the DIMocRAT "party professionals".
(after that, we'll go after the RINOs & other worthless "seat-fillers".)

yours, TN46
coordinator, CCTPP

Posted by: texasnative46 | October 13, 2010 12:55 PM | Report abuse

to all,

(after that, we'll go after the RINOs & other worthless "seat-fillers".)

yours, TN46
coordinator, CCTPP

Posted by: texasnative46 | October 13, 2010 12:56 PM | Report abuse

to all,

(after that, we'll go after the RINOs & other worthless "seat-fillers".)

yours, TN46
coordinator, CCTPP

Posted by: texasnative46 | October 13, 2010 12:57 PM | Report abuse

Hello All:

Let us not forget Republican Tony Zirkle,
who helped celebrate the 119th. birthday
of an unlamented politician.

Some things never change.

Karl Laszlo

Posted by: klaszlo | October 13, 2010 1:26 PM | Report abuse

klaszlo,

let's ALSO not forget that the DIMocRAT Party warmly accepted Orville Faubus, Jim Eastland, Bull Connors, Jim Johnson & a HOST of other BIGOTS as office-holders in their party
AND
until his recent death had a sitting KU KLUX KLAN NATIONAL OFFICER as a DIMocRAT US Senator (Robert "KKK" Byrd, DIMocRAT of WV), who BHO described in 2009 as a "leading & shining light of our party, of whom we are all so very, very proud."

as long as it was in the "informed self interest of" the DIMocRATS to embrace the KLAN & to promote RACIAL SEGREGATION, voting fraud, the poll tax, literacy tests, LYNCHING & other obvious signs of RACIST behavior, they HAPPILY did that.

DIMocRATS, thy name is HYPOCRITES!

yours, TN46