Meghan McCain's Palin problem

The closest I've come to meeting Meghan McCain was outside a gala for the Trevor Project last year in New York City. I was waiting for a friend while she was working the red carpet. But after reading "My Palin Problem," I'm eager to shake her hand. She's the only person in the Republican Party, it seems, who has the guts to say something critical of Sarah Palin.

Sure, Joe Miller wouldn't directly say that Palin would be the most qualified person to be president. Doing such earned the Alaska Senate candidate a stern e-talking to from Alaska's former first dude, Todd Palin. But it's nothing compared to what McCain wrote in her piece for the Daily Beast.

McCain laments that all anyone wanted to talk about on the tour for her book, "Dirty Sexy Politics," was Palin. "In every interview and review it was all Sarah all the time," McCain writes. She recognized that there would be some fascination with her thoughts about the former Alaska governor and the tumult around the time of her selection as the vice presidential nominee of Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.). But for McCain's daughter, "Palin started haunting my book tour from day one." She says that the media obsession with Palin "has become a fetishization." I suppose my writing about this contributes to said malady.

McCain then gets to the nub of her argument. "[I]t seems that the only thing that gets any kind of major media attention when it comes to women in politics is either Sarah Palin or her numerous impersonators." She goes on to write, "Are women only interesting in today’s political discourse if they are Sarah Palin or Sarah Palin impersonators (no matter how bad or poorly knocked off the impersonation is)?" Ouch. Was that a knock on a certain non-witch?

McCain says that Palin made it known to McCain through a third party that she was none too pleased with what the young lady had to say about her. McCain's response?

It seems the Sarah Palin media obsession goes both ways. They are both mutually obsessed with one another, and the relationship is cyclical. It is the chicken or the egg conundrum. Every tweet of Sarah's makes headlines, and every network puts what she says on its newsfeed. This is the era that we live in, and I'm just hoping both Sarah and the media will at some point make room for other opinions. In the meantime, I won't hold my breath, but I also won't quit speaking out for the women who aren't just imitating her.

How I wish others in the Republican Party would imitate Meghan McCain.

By Jonathan Capehart  | October 7, 2010; 7:00 AM ET
Categories:  Capehart  | Tags:  Jonathan Capehart
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Take Biden-Clinton Veep swap off the table -- for now
Next: Netanyahu and Obama on the brink -- again

Comments

what a waste of time. this article sounds like something from people magazine, not a prestigious newspaper

Posted by: pierce23 | October 7, 2010 7:55 AM | Report abuse

I don't agree Pierce. I'm not particularly interested in Meghan any more than Sarah, but I was surprised to see that M. McCain is articulate and has a reasonable grip on reality.

Just goes to show that not being Republican is not a complete synonym for being ignorant.

CB

Posted by: chrisbrown12 | October 7, 2010 9:05 AM | Report abuse

i was born and raised in arizona and when mccain chose this fool as a vice president,it just caused me to think,does this man suffer from ptsd?i am also a former paratrooper deployed numerous times,having someone with this questionable judgement being cic?palin is an intellectual lightweight,but with the majority of the electorate voting for this community organizer why should i be surprised at this?seems to me that a majority of my fellow americans are simply fools,airborne

Posted by: AIRBORNE82nd | October 7, 2010 9:05 AM | Report abuse

I don't agree Pierce. I'm not particularly interested in either Meghan or Sarah but I was suprised to see that M. McCain is articulate as well as critical.

Just goes to show that being Republican is not synonymous with being ignorant. CB

Posted by: chrisbrown12 | October 7, 2010 9:08 AM | Report abuse

In that all publicity is good publicity and Sarah Palin's platform, devoid of creditable positions and ideas, consists of nothing but one publicity event after another it's hard to see why she objects to supposedly leaked e-mails. What she is objecting to isn't any more clear than why she should be in the running for president, but she clearly isn't objecting to either the publicity they generate nor the additional publicity she generates when she complains about them. Sarah is John McCain's lasting legacy to the country. As a country we have survived a second rate actor as president, but can we survive a third rate sports caster. The surprising endorsement of Sarah Plain for any old thing she wants to be by Mr Drop is discussed by Misters Drip & Drop of The 6:01 News at http://saintpeterii.com
free no log-in editorial cartoons

Posted by: saintpeterii | October 7, 2010 9:13 AM | Report abuse

I am amazed that Ms. McCain can spell conundrum. Sarah got all the publicity and Meghan only got 7 or 8 minutes of her 15 minutes of fame. Of course by bashing Sarah, it got her on the View or as I call it, the Barbara and Joy anger management rejection show. So now Meghan is up to 13 minutes of fame. Ironically, it was Tina Fey that kept Sarah alive and kicking after Obama got elected with 6 or 7 different impersonations of her on SNL. I agree...this belongs in People magazine, not the Washington Post. I just couldn't resist commenting. Meghan said she is still pissed off that she only found out one hour before it was announced that her father was picking Sarah Palin as his running mate. I guess her Dad should have gotten her approval first due to her vast political experiences instead of the team of 50 advisors that he surrounded himself with. By the way, Meghan's book has now fallen to $8.00 on Amazon. Hey Meghan, I heard that nobody has written a book criticizing the Gettysburg address yet!

Posted by: penseller | October 7, 2010 9:18 AM | Report abuse

I find it amusing how Ms. McCain wonders how Republican women can be taken seriously without being Palin clones. The answer is simple: they need to renounce the Republican pact with Satan and its alliance with al Queda.

As long as the Republican Party works to impoverish American workers and to advance the Hayek/Koch antiChristian (and antiJewish) agenda, no one can take Republicans seriously unless they suffer from mental retardation or Alzheimer's Disease.

Posted by: roblimo | October 7, 2010 9:27 AM | Report abuse

Meghan can and does spell and use lots of 'big words' like conundrum.She also is capable of writing her own sentences.
The problem was the lack of this ability on the part of Sarah Palin who was running for an office Meghan is not- VP of the United States. I may be a pushover, but I would really like my presidents to know how to spell, write coherently on their own, and that Africa isn't a country- little things like that.
Go Meghan. I would love to have seen more of Meghan and her Mom than Bristol and her Mom. Like big words versus very small ones.

Posted by: dcunning1 | October 7, 2010 9:28 AM | Report abuse

A pox on McCain for unleashing Palin on America.

Posted by: jckdoors | October 7, 2010 9:39 AM | Report abuse

Are you sure that Megan is John McCain's daughter? I demand a DNA test! She is intelligent and articulate and her thought processes run deeper than just shallow, water cooler one-liners. If Daddy McCain was smart and really wanted a woman for his VP, he would have chosen his daughter.

Posted by: Blackman2 | October 7, 2010 11:59 AM | Report abuse

The press has constantly failed to ask Sarah Palin the right questions, and in general failed the American public relative to Palin, Glenn Beck, Rush Limbaugh, and the Tea Party, too. Somebody out there get tough, demand some details, some commitments to potential actions than can actually be evaluated critically, instead of just reporting the rhetoric.

Posted by: jjparasite | October 7, 2010 12:22 PM | Report abuse

Sad how a once great newspaper has descended to such propaganda and such lightweight "analysis" as Capeheart.
Capeheart cannot criticize Obama, yet he is impressed by non-Democrats who don't praise Palin?
What is that all about?
Capeheart is the biggest fanboy and rah-rah boy for Obama.
It makes me laugh how he twists anything to hit out at his man's opponents, all the while putting on a fake act of being "objective" or a "reporter".
Now that the left no longer controls ALL media and ALL popular culture (only 90% now), it is harder to control information like you used to.
Makes you cry and whine and wish for more control, doesn't it?

Posted by: johnL1 | October 7, 2010 1:05 PM | Report abuse

Read the book,
Sarah Pain vs Meghan McCain

Posted by: thomaschiinc | October 8, 2010 4:19 AM | Report abuse

Meghan McCain's thinking that, as a teenager, she should have been involved in her father's choice of a Vice Presidential candidate, or that, as the privileged daughter of a millionaire mother and a Senator father, she has any real connection to the real lives of younger or other potential voters, are ludicrous. Didn't she realize that practically everyone realized that no Republican on earth was going to win in 2008 and that fact was one reason why John McCain, who I happen to like, got stuck with the nomination, and a campaign organization that couldn't organize a good panty raid? Some us tried but knew we were going to lose.
As for Palin's qualifications or lack thereof, I challenge anyone to name one competent Democratic politician of the day who actually believed that Harry Truman would be competent to assume the Presidency or could get elected on his own. He turned out OK for not even having been told about the A-bomb, but blew some domestic things later.
Now if Meghan can somehow do something with her young life, that might be worth reading about, I'd be pleased.

Posted by: peterschamberlain | October 8, 2010 6:56 PM | Report abuse