O'Donnell: 'I'm you.' And I'm creeped out.

A key rule in public relations, especially in crisis PR, is don't repeat a negative. Christine O'Donnell, the erstwhile witchcraft-dabbling Republican candidate for Senate in Delaware, has broken this edict big time with her first campaign ad. But leave aside her out-of-the-gate "I am not a witch" declaration. What creeped me out was her other pronouncement: "I am you." If you're me, then I'm in serious trouble.

If O'Donnell is me, that means I've been sued five times by my university since 1994 for unpaid tuition. It means the IRS placed a lien against me for unpaid taxes and penalties. It means the mortgage company sued me and won a judgment of more than $90,000 against me after I stopped making payments on my house in 2008. It means that the Federal Elections Commission has cited me eight times for not reporting contributions between 2007 and 2009. It means a campaign watchdog group has filed a complaint against me for using campaign funds to pay my bills. And this is just the financial stuff.

If O'Donnell is me, then that means I question evolution; I think masturbation goes against God's teaching in the Bible; I mislead people into thinking I studied at Oxford; I believe that American scientists have made mice with fully functioning human brains, and I believe that the Chinese are trying to take over the United States based on "classified information that I am privy to...."

People have money troubles. People pad their resumes. People might even live on the grassy knoll of conspiracy theories. But when one person is a roiling mix of all three, you better watch out. By saying she's not perfect, O'Donnell is not only stating the obvious, she's also trying to make a virtue of her many troubles without talking about serious issues. Voters send people to Washington because they believe the person they've pulled the lever for has the judgment, temperament and smarts to make the right decisions for their state and for the country. If I lived in Delaware, and if, as O'Donnell says, she's me, I wouldn't want me anywhere near Washington.

By Jonathan Capehart  | October 5, 2010; 11:07 AM ET
Categories:  Capehart  | Tags:  Jonathan Capehart
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Germany's terror mosque
Next: Levi Johnston is 'After love' in all the wrong places

Comments

O'Donnell is just trying to cash in on what Palin started: golddigging celebrity conservatism. O'Donnell is in it up to her elbows for the money. After all, spending campaign money on fancy hotels, private planes and lavish meals will make up for the poverty she has subjected herself to while working so hard trying to make herself into something she is not. Not honest, not hardworking, not financially responsible, not moral.

Posted by: Chagasman | October 5, 2010 12:51 PM | Report abuse

Yep - you are perfect, so of course she is not you. But she does represent a real cross section of everyone else.

The voters of Delaware don't get to pick between Christine and anyone else. They get to pick between Christine and a man who believes that anyone who owns property is rich and can afford annual tax increases until they hit the sky 3%, 9% and then a whopping 25%.

Ask any senior who owns a home and lives on a fixed budget whether they can afford Coons as a Senator, then Christine looks like perfection.

Posted by: SeattleRain | October 5, 2010 1:02 PM | Report abuse

Right on. She is just another crazy numb nut, like Boehner, Palin and all the others.

Posted by: mackiejw | October 5, 2010 1:04 PM | Report abuse

She totally lacks creditability. I think she's out for herself, so maybe she is a good fit for the DC political culture after all. I know if I lived in DE I wouldn't be voting for her, and I tend to vote Republican more often than Democrat.

Posted by: AudiOso | October 5, 2010 1:09 PM | Report abuse

Sarah the Quitter & Christine the Witch for 2012.

Posted by: HillRat | October 5, 2010 1:09 PM | Report abuse

Well, I’m with Capehart on this one. Failure to meet one’s financial obligations in a timely manner should preclude someone from serving in public office.

From the Boston Globe, March 8, 2007…

“Barack Obama is no longer a scofflaw, at least in Cambridge and Somerville.

Two weeks before the US senator from Illinois launched his presidential campaign, he paid parking tickets he received while attending Harvard Law School, officials said yesterday.

Obama received 17 parking tickets in Cambridge between 1988 and 1991, according to the city's Traffic, Parking & Transportation Department.

Of those tickets, he paid only two while he was a student and paid them late, said Susan Clippinger, the office's director.

In January, about when the Globe began asking local officials about Obama's time at Harvard, including any violations of local laws, someone representing the senator called the parking office to inquire about the decades-old tickets.

On Jan. 26, the remaining $375 in fines and fees were paid by credit card using the city's website, Clippinger said. She said she didn't know who paid them.”

Posted by: Bjartur | October 5, 2010 1:14 PM | Report abuse

Re SeattleRain's remarks: Sure - all of us have flaws, but she's aggregated virtually all of them. And in just one Senate candidate! Now, that's remarkable.

On your other point, I agree that property taxes represent a profoundly antiquated means of "revenue enhancement," that fall disproportionately hard on those with fixed incomes.

But that wouldn't be enough to get me to elevate this interesting woman to the status of US Senator representing my state. Not even close.

Posted by: AMac1 | October 5, 2010 1:16 PM | Report abuse

Sure has hell the socialist, "God D@mn America" Christian cult believing, Lets-have-the-Feds-run-everything Obama is not you either.

Posted by: pgr88 | October 5, 2010 1:22 PM | Report abuse

My, how clever you are, Bjartur. It sure takes ace research skills to find out that Barack Obama failed to pay $375 in parking tickets.

But in what world does that equate with O'Donnell's repeated failures to pay her tuition, her income taxes, her mortgage? Here on Planet Earth, a candidate who has to pay a $90,000 judgment--240 times Obama's debt--would generally be considered a MUCH bigger deadbeat.

Posted by: DCSteve1 | October 5, 2010 1:25 PM | Report abuse

Christine O'Donnell is a nut, and a poor excuse for a nut at that. However, her flaws, hypocrisy, lack of knowledge, lack of credibility, financial irresponsibility, and utter nonsense is truly all that the GOP has to offer.

The GOP is in a sad free-fall from which it will NOT escape. The GOP will ultimatley be replaced by a far-right wing organization like the Tea Baggers, as the status quo of "conservativism".

Posted by: TheChampishere | October 5, 2010 1:26 PM | Report abuse

If voters who support O'Donnell moved to Oklahoma . . . . Yep, that's right . . . it would raise the IQ average for both States!

Posted by: lufrank1 | October 5, 2010 1:33 PM | Report abuse

Uh, you're not me, you idiot. I can balance a checkbook and refrain from witchcraft.

Posted by: TwoTermObama | October 5, 2010 1:35 PM | Report abuse

The tea party must be very proud
(YIKES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

Posted by: jake555 | October 5, 2010 1:39 PM | Report abuse

O'Donnell: "I am not a witch" Clinton: "I did not have sexual relations with that woman" Nixon: "I am not a crook" Palin: "I quit my job to live my life in peace and quiet away from the media glare and I want privacy" OJ Simpson: "I will dedicate the rest of my life to finding my wife's killer" hhmm I see a pattern here

Posted by: mimo1 | October 5, 2010 1:41 PM | Report abuse

If there's anyone who is not qualified to hold office, it is her. The sad fact is that people put her in a position to run for office.

Posted by: jgllo | October 5, 2010 1:42 PM | Report abuse

"golddigging celebrity conservatism" is my new favorite term. So true.

Posted by: Aerowaz | October 5, 2010 1:48 PM | Report abuse

@Bjartur: Are you kidding all of us? Are you seriously comparing parking tickets with an IRS lien, lawsuits filed by the university she attended and didn't pay them for her education. Are you kidding us Bjartur comparing parking tickets to being cited by the Federal Elections Commission for not reporting contributions? Are you not capable to see the difference in between parking tickets and what C'OD has done? Please Lord help this country if there are more people like BJ out there who vote.

Posted by: Realistic5 | October 5, 2010 1:49 PM | Report abuse

1. Anyone who has had financial problems in the past should not attempt to run for public office. Yet we have tax evading buffoons occupying some of the highest positions in this administration.

But then, what does one expect from a biased socialist who is going all out to get a fellow Marxist elected in Delaware. I guess we will find out about Coons after the election (if he wins) when he would then pretend he was given a mandate to vote for every socialist crap. Can we discuss his views now?

Posted by: RightMan | October 5, 2010 1:50 PM | Report abuse

Go Mr. Capehart!!
This moron O'Donnell's life has been a walking, talking (and serial mis-representing) disaster area. That this ignorant tool has a place on one of America's great political party's tickets is almost as unbelievable as the idiotic stories she spins. Really, did anyone ever thinkthey'd see the day when a self-proclaimed witch detailed her time on a blood covered satanic alter? If an idiot like this could even be close to decision making power then I fear for our great ciuntry. The tiny slice of uninformed fools who put this dangerously ignorant moron in this position should be ashamed.

Posted by: mybandy | October 5, 2010 1:50 PM | Report abuse

Go Mr. Capehart!!

Posted by: mybandy | October 5, 2010 1:50 PM | Report abuse

Do witches masturbate?

Posted by: dcp26851 | October 5, 2010 1:52 PM | Report abuse

mybandy @ 1:50 pm

It is only a Kool-Aid drinking, MSM-propaganda-laden liberal that will equate a youth's confession of dabbling in witchcraft as equivalent to being a "self-proclaimed witch."

For a member of a party that takes delight in fighting for "gay rights", would seek to abolish every semblance of Christianity in the public square, etc... how long do you think it will take for Democrats to start screaming about equal rights for witches - of course, if they become a big enough voting bloc.

Posted by: RightMan | October 5, 2010 1:56 PM | Report abuse

Anyone else confused about how a Senator has power over property taxes? I missed that bill.

Posted by: patricksaxton | October 5, 2010 1:57 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: patricksaxton | October 5, 2010 1:57 PM | Report abuse

"a poor excuse for a nut" hahahaha I like my Senators to be successful, responsible, honest and caring. I used to be a GOP appointee, but the older I get the more I admire Sen. Ted Kennedy, someone who could have just been a playboy but instead came to work every day as a U.S. Senator to help the poor and underprivileged. Heaven forbid that the average voter thinks like SeattleRain above.

Posted by: AdventurerVA | October 5, 2010 1:58 PM | Report abuse

I'm not a Witch, I'm not a Hare Krishna, I'm a Palin.

Posted by: kkrimmer | October 5, 2010 2:03 PM | Report abuse

"Right-man" (so-called):
Nice mouthing off the right-wing wackjob prepared script.
You may also want to remember to take your meds first next time.

Posted by: mybandy | October 5, 2010 2:03 PM | Report abuse

This is your new GOP. Scary.

Posted by: TwoTermObama | October 5, 2010 2:04 PM | Report abuse

@RightMan: No one said she shouldn't run for office, this is America.However, how can you believe that someone like CD has the ability to manage anything to do with $$. You think CD will be able to vote correctly on bills that affect our bottom line if she can't even pay her debt? People have debt, we all do but trying to avoid paying them is something elese. And Yes, she did try to avoid paying them and thats why the Lien and the laswuits. RM, she has no exp, not even 1 yr of holding any office in the country. And Rm, do you think she was part of any high level meeting talking about the Chinese? If you do, than your beyond help. CD was part of a high level meeting and top secrete discussong the Chinese taking over the USA, you really believe that? If you do, this country is in trouble. CD never held any office, was a blabber mouth back in the day and you think the goverment would actually trust her with privy information? And the Chinese are not coming up with a plan of taking over the USA. You RM, they don't have to come up with some secrete plan to take over the USA, we are handing them the country on a silver platter in the open. All they are doing is sitting back and allowing us to give it to them without them having to lift a finger. See RM, thats why I know CD is lying and making up stuff like this. There is no plan from the Chinese to take over, they don't need one, we are doing it all by ourselves already. Why should they break a sweat if we are handing the country over to them..Duh dude...

Posted by: Realistic5 | October 5, 2010 2:05 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: bill_delgrosso | October 5, 2010 2:06 PM | Report abuse

Gold Digger. Disgrace to the GOP. Should be thrown out of the party.

Posted by: thecomedian | October 5, 2010 2:08 PM | Report abuse

AdventurerVA @ 1:58 pm

You used to be a GOP appointee who has grown to admire Ted Kennedy? Hmmmm.. and you wonder why Tea Partiers are on a mission to rid the GOP of the RINOs who are nothing but Democrat plants?

Your elitist mind can also see nothing wrong with praising a senator who in your words "...could have been a playboy but instead came to work every day as a U.S. Senator to help the poor and underprivileged..." Sure, we the ignorant masses should be grateful that our superiors have taken the unthankul job of Senator in order to help us! This certainly explains a lot. Sorry, I prefer Senators who take their job as a privelege not as a sacrifice.

Posted by: RightMan | October 5, 2010 2:09 PM | Report abuse

"i hear Brave Sir Robin's minstrels in the back ground and King Arthur determining who Christine ODonnell turned into a newt.."

****

Build a bridge out of her!

I really can't wait for SNL this weekend.

Posted by: dcp26851 | October 5, 2010 2:10 PM | Report abuse

TwoTerm:
Don't waste eyour time. This guy is yet another conservative tool spitting talking points. I don't know what's more dangerous: these rightie clowns mouthing their provided script or actually believing it?

Posted by: mybandy | October 5, 2010 2:12 PM | Report abuse

She's not only not me, she's not even the same species as me.

Posted by: Observer691 | October 5, 2010 2:12 PM | Report abuse

RightMan, you best get rid of that K2, dude.

Not only is it messing your brain up it was just made illegal in MD and will soon be illegal in Delaware and VA, too.

But wait!!!! If you are too stupid to know the difference between a socialist and a Marxist and if you seriously think EVERYONE you oppose is a socialist, maybe you should double up on the stuff.

At least it will render you harmless to the rest of us who are living in reality.

And SeattleRain - you seem to have forgotten that this is a contest for the US SENATE. Property tax is a local issue. There is no national property tax and the only people who have even suggested one are republicans (23% tax on ALL consumption).

Posted by: TOMMYBASEBALL | October 5, 2010 2:14 PM | Report abuse

The more we belittle her the more the public closes ranks, if for no other reason than to stick it to "The Man". It happened with her last opponent, and it will happen with this one. I think the urban cognoscenti don't understand the level of anger against them among the masses.

Posted by: katorga | October 5, 2010 2:14 PM | Report abuse

Katorga:
Yup, the public is "closing ranks" behind Christine O'Moron! LOL!
That's why she's losing by double digits while Mike Castle would have won it for the GOP by a mile! If the Reps lose control by 1 vote, the tiny slice if fools who voted for this idiot are the ones they can thank. Dopes.

Posted by: mybandy | October 5, 2010 2:19 PM | Report abuse

What's left of your father's GOP is betting it all that there are more than 25% of Americans who, by their blind allegiance to believing anything Limbaugh and Fox News tells them, can't see through this lying, borderline psychotic teabagger poser.

As if she has never stirred the soup herself.

Bring on more of these. Don't listen to Quayle and Rove that you are splitting the independent vote.

Posted by: areyousaying | October 5, 2010 2:20 PM | Report abuse

"I'm you" - minus about 100 IQ points. Dingbat.

Posted by: vze2r3k5 | October 5, 2010 2:24 PM | Report abuse

Not gonna happen, katorga. O'Donnell is toast. Burnt, nasty toast.

Posted by: Observer691 | October 5, 2010 2:25 PM | Report abuse

Do witches masturbate?

Posted by: dcp26851 | October 5, 2010 1:52 PM
==============================================
Yes, bigtime--that's what riding a broomstick is all about. Seriously. There's several pages on this in Michael Pollen's book "The Botany of Desire". (It seems that mind-altering drugs like cocaine are absorbed as easily through the vagina as they are through the nose, so non-conformist women like witches used to put them on sticks and, well, you probably have the picture.)

Posted by: Dan4 | October 5, 2010 2:25 PM | Report abuse

I'm creeped out that Capehart thinks that the voters of Delaware should care what he thinks.

Posted by: publius1 | October 5, 2010 2:32 PM | Report abuse

Hahaha- you're the best, Capehart. The perfect mix of snark and fact, as usual. Keep up the great work- you're one of my favorite columnists in the country.

Posted by: lydiatusson1 | October 5, 2010 2:32 PM | Report abuse

the fact that you don't talk about the dems means they are so much worse...
sad...
but do you think this election can be decided on 2 things...
what have you done and how has that helped me...
and where are we going...

Posted by: DwightCollins | October 5, 2010 2:34 PM | Report abuse

From the Boston Globe, March 8, 2007…

“Barack Obama is no longer a scofflaw, at least in Cambridge and Somerville.

Posted by: Bjartur

___

Posted by: cadam72 | October 5, 2010 2:38 PM | Report abuse

CREEPY. BINGO! That's EXACTLY what my first thought was when I watched this ad yesterday.

This woman is cute, and she's trying like hell to be seductive I think. But the feeling the ad engenders in me is the one I get when a complete stranger with an obvious personality disorder tries to get up close to me and invade my personal space.

The second thing I noticed was that she said "like you" she's upset at what's happening in Washington. And then the ad ended. No mention, or even hint, that she had some plan for dealing with the country's problems. Her sole appeal is that she has boundary issues and thinks she is me.

"I'm you." *shudder* *yikes, get me away from this person*

Just creepy.

Posted by: B2O2 | October 5, 2010 2:39 PM | Report abuse

NO... O'Donnell, you are NOT me, and thankfully I am not YOU! I pay my bills, I do not cheat, I have a job and do not live off of campaign contributions. I have a fully functioning mind and body, and would NEVER vote for someone because they belonged to a certain party.

I need someone with BRAINS! Someone with intelligence, knowledge and wisdom, someone who has not lied about their education and resume!

I wish I could vote against you O'Donnell, but since I can't, I will just pray that the voters in DELAWARE have enough intelligence, knowledge and wisdom to NOT vote for you! I will bet on the voters there!

By the way, if you were me, you wouldn't be taking ANY advice from that other bimbo, Sarah Palin! SHE is the reason we now have President Obama! Her STUPIDITY caused McCain to LOSE! YOUR stupidity will cause YOU to lose!

O'Donnell, like Palin, you need to get some smarts and stop relying on a wink, a smile and a giggle and a wiggle!

Posted by: cashmere1 | October 5, 2010 2:42 PM | Report abuse

The ad is very creepy. She's not me, because she is a lying fraud who should be in jail for stealing campaign funds. She only runs in elections to steal donations to pay her living expenses, which is so sad and very illegal. What a freeloader! The gravy train in the form of the Koch brothers and Fox news has rescued her because she can spew their talking points.

Posted by: hockeymom1 | October 5, 2010 2:47 PM | Report abuse

To the lamestream socialist fake-news media: Please, please, please keep up the vicious, mean-spirited, false, mis-leading and totally biased slime attacks on Christine O'Donnell. Sarah Palin, who got the same hysterical, foaming-at-the-mouth treatment from the lunatic-left, is now indisputably the MOST POWERFUL, MOST INFLUENTIAL, MOST EFFECTIVE woman politician in America today (special thanks to the Trifecta of Scum, aka the official "You Lie!" hussein cheerleading squad, nbc, snl and tina fey). Similarly, O'Donnell will significantly BENEFIT from your unethical, nauseating, gutter actions, since the American people recognize just what you are. I hope O'Donnell invites you all to her swearing-in ceremony as the next Senator from Delaware so you can get a close-up view of your latest "success".

Posted by: TeaPartyPatriot | October 5, 2010 2:48 PM | Report abuse

RightMan,

I laughed out loud when I saw the word "marxist". Talk about trickle down stump speeches from Fox. That is the buzz word. When you actaully know about historial marxism it is insane, really..insane, to look at a democratically elected congress, GIVING $ to the private sector in order to keep them supported in the long term, the Dow at 10,800, etc and see "Marxism".

And to your points -
- No, anyone who made only $5,800 last yer, lied consistantly on their resume, Etc. Getting 8 citations from the FCC on contributions and paying personal rent with it is not "financial proglem", it is a large ethical lapse.

- You may also want to acknowledge thata vast majority of christians DO accept evolution (Catholics, presbyterians, Methodists) , bit to mention Jews, Muslims, Buddhists. The facts is religion deals with faith, while science deals with biology, etc. Evolution is accepted by virtually all Nobel prize scientists and University biologists in US, Europe, Japan.

- Sure but the "I have inside information" quote was the item of real interest. No one disputes China's rise. We dispute Christine's "classified information I am privy to". ...and you know it.

Posted by: cadam72 | October 5, 2010 2:52 PM | Report abuse

DC Steve

My cursory understanding of Ms. O’Donnell’s finances would seem to indicate that she lacked the financial wherewithal to meet her obligations.

On the other hand, the Obama’s reported over $4.2 million in income on their 2007 tax return.

Since you apparently have a calculator handy divide $4.2 by $375 and let me know what you come up with – this is how many times Obama could have paid his measly traffic fines using his 2007 income alone.

That Obama only did so immediately before announcing his run for presidency leads me believe he would have never paid off these fines off otherwise (Illinois voters certainly didn't give a toss).

Considering that Harvard years were paid for by a combination of affirmative action grants and grants available to foreign students (he used his Indonesian citizenship), $375.00 sounds like a bargain basement price for a Harvard law education.

But Obama was too cheap to even pay this.

Much like his Aunt living in public housing and on public assistance, he seems to relish sticking it to MA taxpayers.

I my book that’s much harder to comprehend and explain than O’Donnell’s circumstances (as I understand them). But hey, we each get a vote.

By no means do I excuse O’Donnell’s actions. I’d just think there ought to be one standard for judging all candidates.

For too many their outrage is selective, dependent not upon the crime but rather the "D" or "R" after a candidate or politician’s name.

Lastly, we have every right to expect our public servants to be as parsimonious with our money as they are with their own (see: John Kerry, RI Yacht/Taxes).

Posted by: Bjartur | October 5, 2010 2:55 PM | Report abuse

"I am sure if you equate 20 yr old university parking tickets as a moral and financial equivilancy to being sued by your college for tuition non payment 5 times, an IRS lien, being sited by the FCC 8 times and using campaign funds to pay rent than this article really wasn't for you."

****

Seriously, these sheep-fkers gave him HOLY HELL for parking tickets. But IOKIYAR

Posted by: dcp26851 | October 5, 2010 2:56 PM | Report abuse

LOL. "Creepy" seems to be the consensus across the blogosphere. This woman needs help. And so does the GOP, if this is what they want representing them.

Posted by: B2O2 | October 5, 2010 2:57 PM | Report abuse

*****************************************

The premise of the article, genius, is that she is woefully unqualified for the position because she lacks the smarts and the character to "lead". Only Tea Baggers, who are of the same ilk, would think differently - TEA BAGGER!!

Posted by: TheChampishere | October 5, 2010 2:57 PM | Report abuse

This is 2010 and we have a candidate that dabbled in witchcraft? Come on it if it worked there would be a whole bunch of toads out here.

Posted by: AverageJane | October 5, 2010 3:00 PM | Report abuse

No...no, you're not...

Posted by: wcmillionairre | October 5, 2010 3:02 PM | Report abuse

Ms. O'Donnell has made it her life's ambition to get elected as a US Senator. Maybe that way she can earn enough to pay off some her debts, and at the same time become the national celebrity she has always craved to be. If she doesn't get elected, there's always the chance that people with money to burn will pay to hear her to give insightful speeches about how we can fix America with common sense conservative principles.

Posted by: kenger1 | October 5, 2010 3:07 PM | Report abuse

Realistic5 @ 2:05pm

I don't know where to start in dissecting your error-laden diatribe.

1. Since you would prefer Christine not to run because of financial troubles, can you explain why we were asked to give Tim Geithner a pass for not paying his taxes and the numerous crooks in the Senate? Of course, the rules change for Democrats!

2. Tell me again why her speech about what China is or is not planning to do has become the focal point for Democrats? Oh yeah, place her on the defensive so we can avoid talking about Coons who is more dangerous to the US than Chaina could ever be. At least, one is foreign but a local Marxist - that we certainly have to fear.

Posted by: RightMan | October 5, 2010 3:08 PM | Report abuse

Ms. O'Donnell has made it her life's ambition to get elected as a US Senator. Maybe that way she can earn enough to pay off some her debts, and at the same time become the national celebrity she has always lusted to be. If she doesn't get elected, there's always the chance that people with money to burn will pay to hear her give insightful speeches about how we can fix America with common sense conservative principles.

Posted by: kenger1 | October 5, 2010 3:09 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: kenger1 | October 5, 2010 3:09 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: kenger1 | October 5, 2010 3:10 PM | Report abuse

Whoa! She's worse than advertised, and now she's actually advertising it. She's better off hiding somewhere in a dark place until after the election. I'll tell you what, she ain't me!

Posted by: mtravali | October 5, 2010 3:16 PM | Report abuse

"By saying she's not perfect, O'Donnell is not only stating the obvious, she's also trying to make a virtue of her many troubles without talking about serious issues."

What's scary is that this strategy worked beautifully for the drunken fratboy who was our last president.

Here's hoping that Delaware voters are sharp enough to recognize this and give her a landslide of humiliation.

Posted by: haveaheart | October 5, 2010 3:16 PM | Report abuse

She is no different than Marco Rubio and Sharron Angle. All three of them will do anything to get on the government payroll. After one six year term they can leave with a nice healthy pension and a gold package health insurance policy for the rest of their lives. Ahh socialism!

Posted by: Hawkestreet1 | October 5, 2010 3:17 PM | Report abuse

So O'Donnell would fit in just fine in a Capitol that has supported Maxine Waters, Charlie Rangel, and Cynthia McKinney (among many others). To all the slime thrown up against, even if it's true, so what? Seriously, if she's not worse than current members of Congress, than take the criticism and stuff it. And no, she's really not worse - Cynthia McKinney? Think about it. If she can be in Congress, ANYONE can.

Posted by: _BSH | October 5, 2010 3:17 PM | Report abuse

There should be a rule that you can't use the term "Marxism" and "Socialism" in any post without knowing what the terms mean. They have become such over-used arguments that all I hear is "blah, blah, blah"

Posted by: smith6 | October 5, 2010 3:20 PM | Report abuse

smith6 @ 3:20pm

A better rule is not to take someone's hard-earned money to give to deadbeats all in the name of equality and fairness!

Why should we care or delve into the nuances of Marxism and socialism? They are all theories that seek to make slaves of free people and set up an Animal House elite cf. Democrats in public service that are probably some of the richest snobs around yet always pretend they care for Average Joe.

Posted by: RightMan | October 5, 2010 3:25 PM | Report abuse

Jeez the righties are delusional. They'll do and say anything to stick up for their nutjobs Even one so dumb she invents things the way others breath. Plus she's dumb as a stump.

Posted by: mybandy | October 5, 2010 3:30 PM | Report abuse

This woman definitely isn't me. Last I looked I had a few dollars in my checking account.

Posted by: TwoTermObama | October 5, 2010 3:38 PM | Report abuse

mybandy @ 3:30 pm

Posted by: RightMan | October 5, 2010 3:41 PM | Report abuse

No, Christine is not me. I got my degree in less than 3 years, and paid off my loans. I have had actual jobs in my life, lots of them, and paid taxes each time. I am current on my mortgage, which I qualified for on my own.

Has this woman ever held a job at age 41? Who funded her mortgage? Who feeds her? Is she anything more than a professional leech?

No, Christine, you are not ME.

Posted by: OldUncleTom | October 5, 2010 3:42 PM | Report abuse

.....well,Delaware voters......tell me there was a massive mechanical problem with the machines;otherwise, pardon us while we laugh our butts off at you!

Posted by: wp121606 | October 5, 2010 3:47 PM | Report abuse

OldUncleTom @ 3:42 pm

A professional leech? I could have sworn that describes Obama to the T and the other loser "professional" politicians from both parties that populate Congress.

Posted by: RightMan | October 5, 2010 3:52 PM | Report abuse

If Christine O'Donnell is me, then I'm going to be in therapy for the rest of my life.

Posted by: ehsmith1 | October 5, 2010 3:54 PM | Report abuse

Ha, ha, ha!!! Bjartur (that crazy comedian) wrote:

"And what’s good for the senatorial candidate) goose, ought to be good for the presidential gander…

From the Boston Globe, March 8, 2007…

“Barack Obama is no longer a scofflaw, at least in Cambridge and Somerville.

**********

Uh, Bjartur, is all you got really just some unpaid parking tickets (that were apparently paid) while President Obama was at Harvard???? Is that it???? Friend, listen to me: your post is laugh-out-loud preposterous and makes you come across like an unhinged, partisan lunatic. See if you can't "unsend" the post. At least try.

Posted by: chert | October 5, 2010 3:56 PM | Report abuse

I like to believe there's a kind of cut-off point, obvious to the average citizen, that differentiates the run-of-the-mill financial problems and personal quirks of most candidates from the gasp-inducing issues that seem to define O'Donnell. I think that line has been crossed.

Posted by: MidwaySailor76 | October 5, 2010 3:59 PM | Report abuse

Rightman wrote:

"Liberal attacks on rightwing politicians as being "dumb", "nutjobs", etc... are getting so old and lame. Reagan was dumb, Bush was dumb, Palin is/was dumb, Angle is dumb, O'Donnell is dumb,... who else?

Your so-called "really smart and intelligent" politicians have driven America into a ditch and are currently fleeing like rats from a sinking ship cf. Rahm etc..."

*****

Uh, Rightman, how old are you? 1? If you think this economic debacle started on the Dems watch, you're clearly a newborn infant. (I would have guessed that anyway from your crazy rantings.) Boy, are right-wingers ever stupid ...

Posted by: chert | October 5, 2010 4:07 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: mgrantham2 | October 5, 2010 4:07 PM | Report abuse

The bigot mgranthan2 wrote:

"Caphart-you're starting to write with a lisp. Where was you concern about experience and credibility when the half-black nitwit was running for president? You're a hypocrite."

**********

Quite apart from the fact that every part of your post is nonsensical and annoying, at lease President Obama wasn't a warlock - which will ensure him a second term. In the meantime, why don't you get back to sweet-home Alabamy with the rest of your kinfolk?

Posted by: chert | October 5, 2010 4:11 PM | Report abuse

The bigot mgranthan2 wrote:

**********

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Sorry-I thought that was OK since I read it on a loony liberal blog. I didn't mean to offend you sensitive teleprompter-reading monkey worshippers.

Posted by: mgrantham2 | October 5, 2010 4:18 PM | Report abuse

chert @ 4:07pm

Rightman: "Liberal attacks on rightwing politicians as being "dumb", "nutjobs", etc... are getting so old and lame."

chert: "...Boy, are right-wingers ever stupid ..."

Enough said!

And by the way, the economic debacle did start on the Democrats' watch. As much as you guys would love to pull wool over our eyes, Congress control switched from the GOP to Democrats in 2006 not 2008! And guess when the mess started?

Posted by: RightMan | October 5, 2010 4:21 PM | Report abuse

If she's not a witch, then why is she channeling Linda Tripp? ("I'm just like you. I _am_ you.")

Posted by: mattintx | October 5, 2010 4:26 PM | Report abuse

Mr. Capehart;

You must have struck a nerve - look at all the comments posted here. Of course that is Ms. O'Donnell's power, she's a lightening rod. It doesn't make her particularly bright or capable or ethical, it just makes her the center of attention, and isn't that what she's really all about?

Posted by: seabelly1 | October 5, 2010 4:31 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: DCSteve1 | October 5, 2010 1:25 PM | Report abuse
____________________________________

Tim Geithner called and said to stop calling him a deadbeat.

So did Russ Carnahan, John Kerry, Charlie Rangel....oh and about 400-600 Congressional staffers.

Posted by: etpietro | October 5, 2010 4:39 PM | Report abuse

Look at the highly reliable stats on O'Donnell at www.intrade.com. Her futures price on winning the race in Delaware is tanking and is now at 12.4. And Angle's is also dropping in Nevada and is down today to 48.9 against Reid's 59.8.

And Intrade has control of the Senate by the Democrats at a bid price of 61.8 today vs. Republican 17.0.

So tell me again, my dear "friends" on the Right about that Republican "tsunami" this November?

Posted by: dldbug | October 5, 2010 4:43 PM | Report abuse

I think her campaign was worried that her base would take the witchcraft allegations seriously.

They would be like "Hmmm, she dabbled in witchcraft, I don't think Baby Jesus would like it if I voted for this sorceress who should be put to death."

Because they are so retarded they think witchcraft is real.

So this ad was to reassure them that she's a Jesus Freak just like they are, and not to listen to the witchcraft stories.

Posted by: ottoparts | October 5, 2010 4:45 PM | Report abuse

She's not only not me, she's not even the same species as me.

Posted by: Observer691

-------------------------------------------

And what species are you? And don't say human, we all know liberals fall short of human on the evolutionary scale

Posted by: Straightline | October 5, 2010 4:46 PM | Report abuse

Ah, mgrantham2, the adults are having a conversation. Why don't you turn off daddy's computer, then go outside and play. And this one time, you have permission to play on the freeway.

Posted by: weasley1 | October 5, 2010 4:53 PM | Report abuse

O'Donnell is just a more retarded version of Sarah Palin with less experience, so obviously she is a front runner for president in 2012 because she's a Real American.

Posted by: ottoparts | October 5, 2010 4:53 PM | Report abuse

The races in Delaware and Nevada will serve as a referendum on Tea Party candidates in general. The Republican Party has been very successful in channeling voter anger against the opposition but why are they falling short in these two states. The Democrats will probably hold on to the majority in the Senate but only by about 2 or 3 votes at the most.

Just think, that if the GOP had nominated plausible (and rational) candidates in both states for the Senate then that dream might have been within their reach.

Posted by: dldbug | October 5, 2010 4:57 PM | Report abuse

Capehart is creeped out by anyone who isn't queer, or who isn't bending over for queers.

Posted by: hared | October 5, 2010 4:59 PM | Report abuse

I can't be the only Monty Python fan out there who wants to toss her into a well to see if she can float.

Posted by: gwcross | October 5, 2010 4:59 PM | Report abuse

I'm sorry, but that was hilarious. Anytime you have to start your commercial with, "I'm not a witch" you know you've got some serious image issues. LOL!

"I'm not a witch." beats "I can see Russia from my house" by a mile.

Posted by: catweasel3 | October 5, 2010 5:00 PM | Report abuse

Wow, I never thought I would ever see somebody wackier than Palin who beleives she is "one of us" - I stand corrected.

Posted by: sux123 | October 5, 2010 5:00 PM | Report abuse

Christine O'Donnell is toast. You should have listened to Karl Rove!

Posted by: dldbug | October 5, 2010 5:03 PM | Report abuse

Meanwhile, back in California, Carly "the Outsourcer" Fiorina's campaign is stuck in a rut the size of the Grand Canyon despite her spending millions of her own money from the golden parachute she received for being a failed CEO at Hewlett Packard.

Can you say, "Democrats retain their majority in the U.S. Senate"? I thought you could.

Posted by: dldbug | October 5, 2010 5:09 PM | Report abuse

Capehart is creeped out by anyone who isn't queer like he is, or is bending over for queers.

Posted by: hared | October 5, 2010 5:11 PM | Report abuse

If this woman is such a dunder head and has no shot, why do rags like the WAPO spend so much covering her? I'm sure they could find something news worthy to write about. Oh wait, that's right we're talking about the WAPO. One of the most biased news outlets in the country.

Posted by: theBozyn | October 5, 2010 5:13 PM | Report abuse

First thing we should do when considering any candidate for National Office - Congress, Supreme Court, White House - is have them stand up and tell us if they believe in Evolution.

Those who don't we can airdrop on Saudi Arabia, strapped to a nuclear bomb. Since neither the Wahhabi fanatic Saudis nor the anti-evolution crowd believe in Evolution, the resulting nuclear explosion won't harm them, right?

Posted by: WillSeattle | October 5, 2010 5:14 PM | Report abuse

O'Donnell's charm seems to be in her ability to absolutely and positively flaunt the concept of American exceptionalism when it comes to those we choose to represent us; instead she wants us to believe being ordinary qualifies you for high office.

Ms. O'Donnell is riding a wave of populist anger against a politcal establishment which has abused the trust of the people and which looks down its noses at "ordinary folks' like her. However, that is no excuse for the citizens of Delaware to elect a woman who has been, at times, a deadbeat, a witch and a prefrabricator about her qualifications. There must be some limit to the tolerance we extend to candidates or we are going to end up with a Congress full of individuals less competent than the bunch we have now.

Posted by: bobfbell | October 5, 2010 5:15 PM | Report abuse

Well if this campaign pans out for her there are always productions of "Macbeth" that need cast members.

Posted by: dldbug | October 5, 2010 5:17 PM | Report abuse

Mr Capehart; all,

fwiw, i makes ZERO difference if you (or any other DIMocRAT/"progressive"/leftist) is "creeped out", as in just about 4 weeks the DIMocRATS will be America's BIGGEST LOSERS in the general election (say: "BYE BYE" to controlling BOTH houses of Congress!)
AND
your beloved BHO will be America's BIGGEST FLOP as POTUS & LAMEST DUCK.
(perhaps, for all the relevance that he'll have till 01/20/13, we can send the Obama's on a PERMANENT vacation. - they "vacation" better than they do anything else, anyway.)

so if you are a DIMocRAT/LIB/"progressive" in the Congress and/or an "appointee" in a federal agency, start packing as you will likely be moving HOME & REALLY SOON.

TRUTH is that we "regular Americans" from "flyover country" (you know, those "poor goofs" that you look DOWN ON, condesend to & make fun of as "stupid"/hillbillies/"trailer park trash"/etc.) are about to DUMP the whole of your regime & then start working on the rest of the DIMs & the RINOs, as you are NOT TRUSTED any longer with our government OR with our LIBERTY.- we just want you GONE forever.

IF you happen to be reading this and want to join "the quiet revolution" to restore our Republic to our former glory, contact your local Tea Party organization. - you will be WARMLY WELCOMED & "put to work" for America.

yours, TN46
coordinator, CCTPP

Posted by: texasnative46 | October 5, 2010 5:20 PM | Report abuse

mgranthan2 wrote:

"Since we're at it, please name one thing Oblama has done to help working class taxpayers. Just one..."

*****

Passed legislation increasing access to health care (kind of important during recessionary times); passed financial reform legislation (since financial chicanery was among the main culprits for the economic meltdown); cut taxes for the middle class ... the list goes on and on ...

*****

Then, the lunatic, Rightman wrote:

"And by the way, the economic debacle did start on the Democrats' watch."

*****

Sigh. It actually started with the crazy deregulation begun by Bush and a Republican Congress, which was why you bums were voted out in 2008!!! Quit trying to re-write history, pal! Or, at least wait until fifty years have passed to start doing it!

Right-wingers are such lying dolts.

Posted by: chert | October 5, 2010 5:20 PM | Report abuse

dldbug:

You mean if this campaign DOESN'T pan out for her?

BTW: when candidate Obama "repeated negatives" about himself in a website, that wasn't a PR nightmare.

"Learn the Truth About Barack Obama"

For goodness sakes, he had to give a whole SPEECH to rebut the allegation that he was a Muslim! Look, I appreciate all of the helpful "advice" you Dems have for O'Donnell, but having contributed to her campaign, I do not have a problem with this ad.

We'll see if it works soon enough : )

Posted by: JakeD2 | October 5, 2010 5:33 PM | Report abuse

This ad was fine, if anything a little bit too sweet. Only a brainwashed leftist would spin this ad was "creepy."

Posted by: pgr88 | October 5, 2010 5:39 PM | Report abuse

Jonathan, have you received your free annual credit report? If O'Donnell is you, that must mean she has stolen your identity.

Posted by: angelas1 | October 5, 2010 5:39 PM | Report abuse

pgr88:

I agree (the WaPo sure is devoting a lot of resources to destroy a candidate who supposedly has "no chance" of winning ; )

Posted by: JakeD2 | October 5, 2010 5:43 PM | Report abuse

why not Christine O'Donell? We have Senator Al Franklin after all. The extreme ends of the left and right join together to form the lunatic fringe and deserve representation too.

Posted by: GayChristian | October 5, 2010 5:53 PM | Report abuse

If O'Donnell is me it means I've made out on a Satanic alter covered in blood!

I wish!

Posted by: arancia12 | October 5, 2010 5:54 PM | Report abuse

Per the "ad wizard" (no pun intended, I'm sure) behind this campaign commercial:

"I wanted people to get to know the real Christine," Davis said in an interview. He said the ad was designed to show "that she was not what everyone thought, that she was an everywoman - with one exception. She was one of us, but was so disappointed in our government that she was moved to action, to try and do something about it."

Davis said he included that line in the script to "once and for all put that behind her, and let people know we're moving on from that to things that really matter today."

O'Donnell's ad bears a resemblance to a recent ad Davis produced for Republican Carly Fiorina, the former Hewlett-Packard chief executive running for the Senate in California. Both feature the candidates, dressed elegantly and speaking directly to the camera in front of dark, foggy backdrops.

But Davis said the O'Donnell background was different, and that Fiorina's was a more elaborate production.

As for O'Donnell's straightened hair and formal attire, Davis said it was not scripted.

"The pearls, etc., are just her," Davis said. "She is literally not what everyone thinks. That's just what she wore."

Posted by: JakeD2 | October 5, 2010 6:11 PM | Report abuse

What Brain came up with that ad? Its creepy.

Posted by: MILLER123 | October 5, 2010 6:16 PM | Report abuse

To the good folks in Delware -- I certainly hope O'Donnell is not "you".

Posted by: lddoyle2002 | October 5, 2010 6:18 PM | Report abuse

You would almost think that people don't read before they post ...

Posted by: JakeD2 | October 5, 2010 6:18 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, I'm kind of creeped out to think my neighbors have all been sued, stopped paying their mortgages, and never held a job. I thought I lived in a nice conservative neighborhood full of people who hate those who get sued, don't pay their mortgages, and don't hold jobs. Now Christine tells me they are all dirtbags who really hate themselves. Bummer.

Posted by: arancia12 | October 5, 2010 6:20 PM | Report abuse

lddoyle2002:

You disagree with her policy positions? Or, do you believe the lies?

Posted by: JakeD2 | October 5, 2010 6:20 PM | Report abuse

That anyone can find excuses to vote for O'Donell boggles the mind. Whatever faults her opponent may have being a total flake is not one of them. Why do tea party conservatives keep coming up with these candidates? It shouldn't be that hard to find
more serious candidates that agree with tea party positions.

Posted by: serban1 | October 5, 2010 6:28 PM | Report abuse

It's ok Capehart. She was not speaking to you.

She was not speaking to the typical over-educated liberal who makes up for a lack of good fiscal common sense and general macro economic know-how with an abundance of snarky put-down comments that mask their inability to defend their failed policies that have driven our country's economy into the ground.

She was speaking to the average American who, like her, makes mistakes and yet still moves forward.

Speaking as an average American, i must say that i really admire her courage to stand down her babbling detractors, tiny men and women of little or no consequence.

Posted by: bryanmcoleman | October 5, 2010 6:31 PM | Report abuse

why doesn't he just join eugene robinson and say, like robinson said that the fact that she's white makes her look like a witch. these guys are always hand in hand.

Posted by: harbinger317 | October 5, 2010 6:43 PM | Report abuse

This damage control ad was totally creepy and could've been in a scary movie. Even the piano music was creepy. These candidates (Miller, Angle, O'Donnell) are such incredible screwballs, however, they still pale in comparison to Beck and $arah. Go Bagheads!

Posted by: USA4ALL | October 5, 2010 6:47 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: USA4ALL | October 5, 2010 6:48 PM | Report abuse

I think what she is trying to say is "I wish i was you, id rather be anyone but myself right now."

Posted by: motown2641 | October 5, 2010 6:49 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: bryanmcoleman

Wow. So my decent neighbors really did stop paying their student loans? They really have lied to me about their educations? I thought you guys hated those who take advantage of other Americans and who use entitlements. But when it's a conservative that does it, it's OK.

I'm just a veteran who has always paid my college tuition (and I did not have the GI Bill available when I retired), who still pays my mortgage even though my house is worth less, and who has never been sued. I'm middle class, worked all my life but I never dabbled in witchcraft and have never been sued. Guess my hard work makes me an 'elite' eh?

No one is talking policies here, Bryan. We're talking about Christian O'Donnell. If she were a Democrat or black you'd hate her with a passion and you know it.

I guess Nixon speaks for all you guys. "If the president does it, it's not illegal."

Posted by: arancia12 | October 5, 2010 6:50 PM | Report abuse

"Creeped out" was my reaction, too, then I thought, wow, she's a left-leaning liberal just like me, who'll sponsor single-payer medical care, climate change legislation, federal equal rights for GBLTs, increased benefits for troops and veterans, budget cuts for redundant unused weaponry, enforcement of stricter workplace safety regs, improved consumer protections, elimination of farm subsidies, lifting of bans on importing prescription drugs, and otherwise working for us little guys instead of her big donors.

What?

Posted by: jhbyer | October 5, 2010 6:58 PM | Report abuse

Sad to say, Ms. O'Donnell is much more representative of the average American than President Obama is. I'd say that spend-thrift taxcheats outnumber the thrifty about 2 to 1. That's a lot of what fueled the real estate boom, and that's why you see wall-to-wall television commercials for lawyers promising to take on the IRS and credit counseling companies promising to get you out of debt for pennies on the dollar.
Remember Jimmy Carter's comment about his wanting to have a government that is as good, and as honest, and as capable as the American people? That's what we have today. And that's probably why McDonnell will be elected.

Posted by: stillaliberal | October 5, 2010 7:12 PM | Report abuse

theBozyn, I'll grant you that the WAPO is "ONE of the most biased news outlets in the country." However, we all know that even the 10 most biased news outlets combined can't hold a candle to Number 1, can they?

That said, the over-coverage of the right wing fringe candidates is indeed getting tiresome. Alvin Greene (D) of South Carolina surely rivals O'Donnell in terms of his utter lack of qualifications for the job of US Senator. I guess the difference is that there is no well-funded political group in South Carolina working tirelessly to make people believe that Greene is a serious candidate.

Posted by: exco | October 5, 2010 7:23 PM | Report abuse

Capehart's campaign ad was brought to you by Chris Coons for Senate and the DNC.

It must be very frightening for Chris Coons to lose to Christine. OMG - there goes the Senate.

Posted by: alance | October 5, 2010 7:26 PM | Report abuse

Maybe she's just looking for a date. You know, the buzz of newfound political apparatchick, the improved charisma status.
For the guys, it can be quite "babe magnetizing". ... You know, : "You're a Senator"? "In like, ... the real Congress"? ... "Of the United States"?!

Posted by: deepthroat21 | October 5, 2010 7:36 PM | Report abuse

Dabbling in Witchcraft and not paying student loans = Bad.

Doing Cocaine = Good.

Gotta love that Progressive Logic.

Posted by: BradG | October 5, 2010 7:50 PM | Report abuse

Dear BradG, apparently you don't understand GOP hypocrisy.

The reason dabbling in Witchcraft and not paying student loans = Bad is precisely BECAUSE you all had strokes over Obama's admitted use of cocaine.

Be careful what you start, it might come back to bite you.

Posted by: arancia12 | October 5, 2010 8:06 PM | Report abuse

I'm sorry but I thought you had to live on planet earth in order to run for congress.

Posted by: ZHRR | October 5, 2010 8:08 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: ZHRR | October 5, 2010 8:09 PM | Report abuse

JC - nothing creeps me out quite like you.

Posted by: hz9604 | October 5, 2010 8:14 PM | Report abuse

I AM NOT, NOR HAVE I EVER BEEN A WITCH.

Posted by: colonelpanic | October 5, 2010 8:20 PM | Report abuse

I AM NOT, NOR HAVE I EVER BEEN A WITCH.

Posted by: colonelpanic | October 5, 2010 8:22 PM | Report abuse

What gets me are her defenders. If a Democrat had her record Republicans would have drummed her out of the race by now. I may disagree with much of Republican policy but even I know that there are qualified Republicans in every state, people who pay their taxes and don't lie about their college records. And yet it is this woman who is running and there are people here on this comment line that actually support her. What this is is the dumbing down of America and it is being done almost entirely by the Conservative wing of the Republican party. The entire world accepts evolution as fact, yet in Republican circles it is open to debate. Most scientists think that global warming is a reality. Not so with Republican conservatives. What is this country coming to when this woman, who is ridiculously unqualified for this office (Just as Sara Palin was to be vice president) is running for the Senate and there are people who will actually vote for her?

Posted by: nyrunner101 | October 5, 2010 8:23 PM | Report abuse

Dear Christine,

This is a message from your bank informing you that due to your low and frequently negative balances in your checking accounts, we regretfully must take action to close your accounts permanently. Thank you for your business and we apologize for any inconvenience.

Sincerely,

Bank of the Dimwits

Posted by: TwoTermObama | October 5, 2010 8:30 PM | Report abuse

Well Mr.Capeheart, the fact that your liberal party is getting on O'Donnell for her financial troubles is despicable. Look at Obama's White House staff then look at the current Congress. Let's tally up their financial woes and from that last article in the Post a few weeks ago, that is quite a hefty sum that the IRS wants. Let's look at the idea of mice with human brains. It is a fact that scientists were putting embryonic cells into mice. Please reference the Washington Post article December 13th 2005. As for the issue of China, you can't sit back and think that China does not have some viable control over us now. By being the biggest creditor to the USA, they can technically call the loans at any point, which is a very scary thought. So listen glass house, before you and your party start throwing rocks, you better look in the mirror.

Posted by: Jsuf | October 5, 2010 8:38 PM | Report abuse

is she really me, gay, minority, liberal, debt payer, immigrant,not bigot,intelligent,bible believing christian, book reading,charitable, not a witch, not a bagger.those groups are NOT in her demographics.
and dems don't get too cocky someone voted for the coke taking grinning prancing cheerleader twice.get out and vote.

Posted by: ninnafaye | October 5, 2010 8:50 PM | Report abuse

Jsuf, ANOTHER conservative who doesn't get it.

Your party in concert with Karl Rove started the character assassination routine. Remember Bill Clinton? The Democratic Party realizes people are human but when you accept behaviors in GOPers that you screamed about in Dems, then you are a raging hypocrite.

You whine about unwed mothers...unless they are conservative. You complain about gays...unless they are Republican congressmen in public bathrooms. You point fingers at non-Christians but ignore a woman who admits the only reason she didn't become a Krisna is that she likes to eat beef.

No one really gives a hoot what Christine O'Donnell has done. They care that you guys are such blatant hypocrites you simply choose to ignore the crooks and liars in your midst.

Posted by: arancia12 | October 5, 2010 8:53 PM | Report abuse

You ain't me, babe, no no no, you ain't me, babe

Posted by: johng1 | October 5, 2010 9:14 PM | Report abuse

The first words of her first ad are "I am not a witch".

I note that normal people don't often find it necessary to say things like this.

Posted by: Miss_Fedelm | October 5, 2010 9:15 PM | Report abuse

====================================
I see a pattern, too, and it has nothing to do with race, gender, or political affiliation.

I have long believed that political office should be filled by a draft process, in which the most capable and knowledgeable among us are shanghaied into office, kind of like what happens in the best run condominiums.

Posted by: carlaclaws | October 5, 2010 9:17 PM | Report abuse

====================================

Posted by: carlaclaws | October 5, 2010 9:19 PM | Report abuse

Hey, Christine: If you're me, then you can do my grocery shopping, watch my kids, find me a new job and finish paying off my student loans. I'm tired and need two weeks in Cabo. Thanks.

Posted by: workplacediva | October 5, 2010 10:02 PM | Report abuse

O'Donnell says that scientists have created mice with functioning human brains. Actually, scientists have developed humans with mouse brains. Two such species: O'Donnell and palin.

Posted by: mikel7 | October 5, 2010 10:05 PM | Report abuse

...Finally, if you cannot see the Chinese takeover of America and their quiet build-up of military and economic might, then you are certainly more naive than I thought possible for a so-called journalist.

Posted by: RightMan | October 5, 2010 1:50 PM

No doubt all those Chinese made ceiling fans and LCD TVs have electronic listening devices in them. Chinese made ceiling fans even received a special exemption during the Bush Administration cleverly distributed through Home Depot.

Even that Keyboard your typing on is recording every keystroke and sending them back to China. I took my keyboard apart and removed the memory transmitter device. You might do the same.

Posted by: James10 | October 5, 2010 10:06 PM | Report abuse

Has everyone seen this story ...

O'Donnell said China plotting to take over US

By BEN EVANS (AP) – 1 day ago

WASHINGTON — Republican Senate nominee Christine O'Donnell of Delaware said in a 2006 debate that China was plotting to take over America and claimed to have classified information about the country that she couldn't divulge.

O'Donnell's comments came as she and two other Republican candidates debated U.S. policy on China during Delaware's 2006 Senate primary, which O'Donnell ultimately lost.

She said China had a "carefully thought out and strategic plan to take over America" and accused one opponent of appeasement for suggesting that the two countries were economically dependent and should find a way to be allies.

"That doesn't work," she said. "There's much I want to say. I wish I wasn't privy to some of the classified information that I am privy to."

"A country that forces women to have abortions and mandates that you can only have one child and will not allow you the freedom to read the Bible, you think they can be our friend?" she asked. "We have to look at our history and realize that if they pretend to be our friend it's because they've got something up their sleeve."

O'Donnell's campaign didn't respond Monday to requests for comment.

At the debate, opponent Jan Ting countered that China has the potential to become a more democratic country and an important ally.

"I think our China policy has to be handled very carefully," Ting said. "We have the capability of making an enemy or a friend out of China."

When Ting challenged O'Donnell's claim about having secret information, O'Donnell didn't answer specifically but suggested she had received it through nonprofit groups she worked with that frequently sent missionaries there.

Ting later won the nomination but lost the general election to Democratic Sen. Tom Carper.

O'Donnell was a little-known candidate until she stunned Rep. Mike Castle to win the Republican nomination last month in her third bid for the Senate. The tea party-backed hopeful faces Democrat Chris Coons in the November general election.

Copyright © 2010 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.

=======================

I'll tell you one thing. If I had highly classified information in 2006 about a Chinese takeover of the United States. The first thing I would do is give it to Christine O'Donnell and no one else.

Yup. And that's the truth.

Posted by: James10 | October 5, 2010 10:10 PM | Report abuse

jsuf, who was it that mortgaged our country to China? Oh, yeah, some guy named bush! Funny how none of the tea bag crowd like mouse brain o'donnell protested when he was wrecking our economy. Not one of them protested cheney saying, "Deficits don't matter." Funny how they still believe they have a grassroots organization when it's being backrolled by billionaires like the koch brothers and led by dick armey. Barnum was right about a sucker being born every minute.

Posted by: mikel7 | October 5, 2010 10:13 PM | Report abuse

Everyone knows you can see Spain from the Delaware coast. At least that qualifies O'Donnell as an expert on international affairs. Has anybody asked her what newspapers she reads?

Posted by: SharptonVoter | October 5, 2010 10:20 PM | Report abuse

My God, what is this country coming to?

In a perfect world, our best and brightest would be making decisions for our country's future. Instead we have...this.

Posted by: TwoTermObama | October 5, 2010 10:33 PM | Report abuse

I don't care what she's telling us. If you check her academic records, it will definitely say A+ in all course attended at Hogwarts!

Posted by: jftorres40 | October 5, 2010 10:37 PM | Report abuse

I want to see her birth certificate.

Posted by: TwoTermObama | October 5, 2010 10:40 PM | Report abuse

If she has this hard a time managing her own life, why would we put her in the job of helping to manage the country?

Posted by: SamBrown2 | October 5, 2010 10:42 PM | Report abuse

Why are the deniers and denouncers of evolution always the ones who would seem to need it the most? Of course evolution relies on a branching family tree and diversity of the gene pool.

To paraphrase the late, great Bill Hicks - 6 days to create you, huh? Looks like He rushed it.

Posted by: lanlord10 | October 5, 2010 10:54 PM | Report abuse

"Can someone remind me of this silly biased article the next time a liberal/Democrat asks us to overlook someone's flaws? What exactly is the premise of this article?

Posted by: RightMan | October 5, 2010 1:50 PM"
==============================

1.) Financial problems? She refused to pay back her college tuition, she stopped paying her mortgage, and the IRS put a lien on her for unpaid taxes. "Financial problems" makes it sound like she was a little short on money. She's a cheat. She borrows money, and won't pay it back when it's inconvenient for her.

She went to school on our dime and didn't pay us back. Nice. What ever happened to conservatives being about personal responsibility? Not when it applies to you, right?

2.) O'Donnell is a convenient Christian. She denounces evolution? Evolution is as much a theory as gravity is. Face it, every single credible scientist agrees with evolution. The science is there. You and your ilk will eventually be viewed as the same as people who wrongly continued to believe that the Earth was flat and the center of the universe, despite the overwhelming evidence against it.

3.) The Chinese have every right to build up their economy and military as we do. Are you saying that the Chinese people should starve and suffer in 3rd world conditions forever and be dependent on the US for aid? The problem is not the Chinese building up their economy, the problem is the US SELLING OUR DEBT to the Chinese. We shouldn't be dependent on the Chinese for borrowing money. We can't fault anyone but ourselves for this mess.

Finally, your use of the word socialist and Marxist in the SAME BREATH tells me that you have no idea what you're talking about. No wonder other countries are passing us in education. People like you hear words on TV and just regurgitate it without understanding what they mean.

Read up on Marxism and Socialism, the differences, and implementations if you want to be taken seriously.

Posted by: ClandestineBlaze | October 5, 2010 10:56 PM | Report abuse

She doesn'te even know me, but it is still the most insulting thing anyone has ever said about me.

Posted by: morphex | October 5, 2010 11:52 PM | Report abuse

My real question is whether she is related to the Salahis. Sounds like Michele or whatever her name is are sisters - grifters of the first order.

Posted by: fwillyhess | October 5, 2010 11:58 PM | Report abuse

I did not realize this till today, but these crazy tea partiers want to REPEAL THE 17TH AMENDMENT! They don't want you to even get to vote for your senator. These idiots are truly nuts! Seriously, what century are they living in?

Posted by: B2O2 | October 5, 2010 11:59 PM | Report abuse

So another pile-on by a liberal columnist ?

I suppose she would be more electable if she was a former Klansman - think West Virginia or a serial womanizer - think Arkansas or Massachusetts...

Heck maybe she needs to have a female friend drown in her car ? That would do it ! She'd be a perennial favorite...

IF she was a Democrat.

Posted by: pvilso24 | October 6, 2010 6:49 AM | Report abuse

So the perfect Capehart would prefer we vote for a self-declared Marxist named Chris Coons whoem Harry Reid calls "my pet"... instead of for the imperfect (poor and struggling) conservative Christine O'Donnell.

Listening to my liberal friends... I'm going to support diversity and vote for Christine !

Posted by: pvilso24 | October 6, 2010 6:53 AM | Report abuse

No Christine, you're not me. I have live, functioning brain cells.

I also didn't lie on my resume and steal from others to pay my mortgage.

You're not me.

Posted by: notfooledbydistractions1 | October 6, 2010 7:58 AM | Report abuse

I am surprised that none has mentioned the infamous;" I am not a crook" statement by then president richard nixon.

Posted by: theopaine | October 6, 2010 8:20 AM | Report abuse

Okay....I'd say she's not "me" but she sure is like a whole lot of those who work in DC. How many of our government at the White House are behind on their IRS bills? Wasn't there an article recently about that? And didn't Geitner himself cheat on his taxes? And Dashel? And let's look for a moment at Rengal and Waters and....the list goes on.

And how many of the accusations against this woman have been proven...or are they simply political tactics to harm her election potential...tactics used by all sides...i.e. like Obama having both his competitors removed from the Ill. ballot so that he ran unchallenged for the seat.

And how many of the statements made were while she was on a show...how many years ago was that?

When the rest of the politicians are spotless...then I'll worry about the so called stains on this woman...what I care about is how she'll vote on the real issues that will come up for a vote...

Posted by: LMW6 | October 6, 2010 9:37 AM | Report abuse

notfooledbydistractions (I would argue that you are):

Christine O'Donnell did not lie on her resume nor did she steal from others to pay her mortgage.

All of you claiming "You're not me" are you even registered to vote in Delaware? Those are the people she's talking to.

Posted by: clawrence12 | October 6, 2010 9:52 AM | Report abuse

The moronic responses from the resident teabag sympathizers (mostly straw men and other irrelevant gibberish) are proof that O'Donnell is indefensible.

Nice try, losers. NOT

Posted by: Observer691 | October 6, 2010 9:53 AM | Report abuse

in these days of personality and celebrity driven politics - the more attractive the better, experience optional, simpleminded soundbites required, differences exaggerated in order to demonize opponents and no need to focus on real issues affecting real people,
why all the fuss? - she fits the bill perfectly.

Posted by: MaryLouR | October 6, 2010 9:59 AM | Report abuse

Rightman states:
:2. O'Donnell is a Christian who questions evolution and correctly denounces evolution, a stance which places her firmly within the views of the majority of Christians. Yet this elitist author does not even acknowledge this.

3. Finally, if you cannot see the Chinese takeover of America and their quiet build-up of military and economic might, then you are certainly more naive than I thought possible for a so-called journalist."

I suppose in his world that since the majority of christians agree with his premis, then all the scientific community in the world is wrong. And how did he confirm his "majority"?

O'Donnell did not say that she could"see" the Chinese were moving to take over this country. She said that she was"privy to secret information". How? What agency in the US government passed her "Secret" clearances?

Posted by: coach777b | October 6, 2010 10:24 AM | Report abuse

notfooledbydistractions (I would argue that you are):

Posted by: clawrence12

No I am not from Delaware,but the US Senate gives each state two senate seats.
so your strange,if elected Senator can cancel my Senators vote.It does not take a genius to figure out that she toxic.We do not have to be from your state to be concerned.

Posted by: jlw2_74 | October 6, 2010 10:53 AM | Report abuse

This question is to all of the Democrats and Liberals out there being critical of Ms. O'Donnell. "Would you rather have Ms. O'Donnell as a Senator making decisions about important bills that will influence the future of this country or a self admitted Communist...Coons?" Now remember this is for the future of the country; if you want to live in a Socialistic society, then which way you will answer. But how long will it be before you are screaming that your taxes are too high and you are paying for all of the entitlement programs of the Liberals and not getting anything back. That is, unless you are one of the many freeloaders out there. I really don't know why the Left is so concerned with her. You really are scared of anyone that does not follow your ideology.

Posted by: AlHamilton | October 6, 2010 11:33 AM | Report abuse

How fake can one get? In your gut you know she's nuts!

Posted by: fare777 | October 6, 2010 11:53 AM | Report abuse

Once, when I told a friend I didn't think Kweisi Mfume wasn't electable because of his many out-of-wedlock children, she said, "In his West Baltimore district, at least 70% of all kids are born to single mothers. Maybe Kweisi's not electable in your whit suburb, but in his district he's normal."

The woman telling me this was in her 30s, attractive, degreed, and the mother of two kids by men she had never married.

Moral: Just because the O'Donnell nutwoman isn't like you or me doesn't mean she isn't like a majority of Delaware voters.

They're the same folks who voted for Joe Biden many times. See what I mean?

Posted by: roblimo | October 6, 2010 12:01 PM | Report abuse

would someone PLEEEAAAASE inform this poor ignorant soul (me) what exactly an elitist is? I need to figure out if I like them or not...

Posted by: BurtReynolds1 | October 6, 2010 12:02 PM | Report abuse

O'Donnell is not most of us....she is a Sarah Palin look and act alike and is clearly not qualified to be representing anyone except the most ignorant in our country. She is young, cute and very, very ignorant.

Posted by: gilbertpb40 | October 6, 2010 12:07 PM | Report abuse

funny piece. the fact that the right is embracing, and defending(!), this kook speaks volumes of them.

Posted by: funkey | October 6, 2010 12:31 PM | Report abuse

SeattleRain,

Ask anyone with a fixed budget what they'll do when O'Donnell, Paul, and Miller take away their Social Security checks because these feel it's unconstitutional.

Posted by: pathfinder12 | October 6, 2010 1:08 PM | Report abuse

mybandy @ 3:30 pm

Posted by: RightMan | October 5, 2010 3:41 PM
****************************************************************
Come on, RM, you are surely delusional. Palin may not be dumb, but she surely is ignorant, and she isn't bothering to learn anything. O'Donnell and Angle are just scary.

BTW, I believe the consensus is that BushII and Reagan are actually to blame for the current economic mess, since it was their tax cuts that led to the huge deficit we are now "enjoying".

Posted by: dfritzin | October 6, 2010 1:14 PM | Report abuse

Bjartur,

Let's also not forget that while Obama was at Harvard, he met multiple times with the Tooth Fairy and Santa Clause to discuss the taking of the Lindbergh baby and how they can raise him in Atlantis. Unfortunately their meetings were interrupted when Big Foot broke the news on his local blog.

Posted by: pathfinder12 | October 6, 2010 1:22 PM | Report abuse

She might not be the best candidate but the unrelenting hate and bashing of her is ridiculous.

The democratic lapdog media is playing its role well.

Posted by: Cryos | October 6, 2010 1:38 PM | Report abuse

yes. blame the press for her actions! ha ha ha ha ha....

Posted by: funkey | October 6, 2010 1:56 PM | Report abuse

TO: RightMan who wrote:
“Liberal attacks on rightwing politicians as being "dumb", "nutjobs", etc... are getting so old and lame. Reagan was dumb, Bush was dumb, Palin is/was dumb, Angle is dumb, O'Donnell is dumb,... who else?

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Democrats didn’t drive America into the ditch, this is how Republicans left America when the Bush Administration left town, and if you don’t know that then you’ve answered your own question of “who else”?

The folks Republicans have been picking have been nut jobs, we were abused by the Bush Administration’s lying us into war, and Palin isn’t smart.

Democrats are right, but everytime you're told the truth you get mad.

So why do Republicans hate the truth?

That must be why Republican politicians always lie, because they know their voters can’t stand the truth.

Posted by: lindalovejones | October 6, 2010 3:08 PM | Report abuse

jlw2_74, I never suggested that you couldn't be concerned. Complaining that "she's not me" is jusr ridiculous though.

Posted by: clawrence12 | October 6, 2010 4:32 PM | Report abuse

What will nutbag O'Donnell do after she loses this election to finance her lifestyle? Announce she is running for Tom Carper's seat in 2012?

Posted by: Observer691 | October 6, 2010 5:13 PM | Report abuse

Poor Cryos, whining because the wackadoo's bizarre ad is getting critiqued.

Posted by: Observer691 | October 6, 2010 5:16 PM | Report abuse

BurtReynolds1,

OK. i'll take a shot at telling you what "we regular folks" believe an ELITIST to be:
1. a person by accident of birth,
2. who stoutly believes him/her self to be innately superior to other people in society and who:
a. condesend to those members of society who are regarded by the elite as "less worthy" than they believe themselves to be,
b. believe themselves to be destined to have more priviledges than the "underclasses",
c. believe themselves to be superior in EVERY way to persons who do not share their social status/income/formal education
and
d. believe that they will forever be blessed with being a "ruler over others".

my definition perfectly fits the "leadership" of the DIMocRATS party, as most of them wouldn't spit upon "the ignorant ordinary people from flyover country" that they supposedly "serve", if a constitutient caught fire.

we "commoners" now KNOW (we are NOT terminally stupid) how we are regarded by "our betters" & therefore, in just a little less than FOUR WEEKS, we will TURN OUT the DIMocRATS en mass from the local courthouse to the HoR & Senate.
in Jan 2011, we will start working on dumping BHO & the rest of the DIMocRATS & the RINOs in 2012 & then we will restore our Republic to her former glory.

note to any DIMocRATS/bureaucrats, who may read these lines: start polishing your resume, as we plan to dump you off of the job & kick you away from the public trough.= you've had MORE than enough of the public largess.

yours, TN46

Posted by: texasnative46 | October 6, 2010 5:53 PM | Report abuse

@ Bjartur: Yes you've got him now, Obama paid his parking tickets late, an impeachable offense I'm sure of.

Had you actually read the article you'd have seen that the author sympathizes that people sometimes have trouble paying bills and they pad their resume.

Posted by: JRM2 | October 6, 2010 6:52 PM | Report abuse

OMG she was reading a teleprompter!

Posted by: JRM2 | October 6, 2010 7:08 PM | Report abuse

seriously we are the people who voted for nothing but hope and change not knowing what they are about or any of the details. we beleaved bill clinton felt our pain ,that there where weapons of mass distruction in iraq , and that spending more money we dont have as a nation in a debt caused ressesion will fix our problems, most crazy of all is that we could lose our manufacturing base to china and india and still have a booming economy . we get the government we deserve because we are the dumb butts who voted them into office. if she gets in its because we have totaly lost our minds. but its ok she will fit in well with the likes of al franken , roy blunt , nancy pelosi and mitch mccxonnell . i think the sane people need to start moving to canada

Posted by: christopherwelch4 | October 6, 2010 11:27 PM | Report abuse

O'Donnel is tapping in to something that more and more Americans are realizing: the average American would make a much better Senator or Congressman than the current Washington elite. Don't believe me? The current hacks won't consider balancing the budget, write bills of a 1000 pages that take an army of lawyers years to decipher, refuse to take straight up or down votes on anything, and tell us that everything will be just fine as long as trust them and turn over every shred of freedom that we have to the government.

The average plumber, schoolteacher or pharmacist would make a much better representative than these hacks.

Posted by: concernedcitizen3 | October 7, 2010 1:37 AM | Report abuse

concernedcitizen3; all,

i agree.

IF we emptied the WH & Capitol Hill of every elected/appointed politician & replaced them with a random sample of 500-600 citizens from the voter rolls of DC & the 50 states, they wouldn't/couldn't make a bigger MESS of our federal government than the motley collection of misfits, crooks, wierdos, fools, self-interested ninnies & outright common criminals that currently occupy those positions.

but do NOT lose hope.===> in less than FOUR WEEKS "the working classes", "the trailerpark trash", "hillbillies" & "ignorant know nothings from flyover country" (to quote Princess Pelosi) are going to DUMP about 70 DIMocRAT members of the HoR & at least TEN Senators out of their offices & send them packing.

then in NOV of 2012, we will DUMP BHO & a large number of DIMocRATS & RINOs, too.

to all: IF you are as fed up as the members of my county's Tea Party group are, join your local TEA PARTY group & GET ACTIVE. = there IS time yet to restore the USA to being a CONSTITUTIONAL REPUBLIC & to her former glory. - you will be warmly welcomed into the TP with open arms.

yours, TN46
coordinator, CCTPP

Posted by: texasnative46 | October 7, 2010 12:52 PM | Report abuse

HUGE ! the dummy just completed a long interview on CNN... and blew the CNN guys away ! Blitzer even quoted what many viewers twittered... "she is much more poised and intelligent than we were led to believe" Both CNN guys were surprisied and impressed by her style and substance. It was AMAZING !!

O'Donnell was confident, poised, articulate, and intelligent. She came across very well briefed on all major issues and slammed the Democratic failures (stimulus, spending, Obamacare) with zingers.

I had my doubts but anyone who gets to hear her is going to be SUPER-surprised. Dems are now in trouble in Delaware ! just UNBELIEVEABLE !

Could this be the October surprise ?

Posted by: pvilso24 | October 7, 2010 6:49 PM | Report abuse

In O'Donnell's recent Fox News interview she said: "You don't scold one of our allies for doing what they need to do in their own national interest." Unless they are France.

Posted by: cardiff_city | October 10, 2010 12:48 AM | Report abuse