O'Donnell is me. Now I'm scared.

Delaware Republican Senate candidate Christine O'Donnell is out with a new, creepy "I'm you" ad. She's left the witch stuff behind and now admits "I didn't go to Yale." O'Donnell then continues her implicit mea culpas for past transgressions by saying, "I know how tough it is to make and keep a dollar." When she intoned "I'm you" at the ad's conclusion, a scary shiver of recognition ran down my spine. For obvious reasons, O'Donnell and I couldn't be more different. Yet I might need an exorcism or an intervention or something, because she connected with me in her latest ad.

I've never dabbled in witchcraft, so her first "I'm not a witch" declaration was creepy and eye-roll worthy. But I've never been to Yale and know how tough it is to make and keep (emphasis on keep) a dollar. "When some tried to push me from this race," O'Donnell continues in the spot, "they saw what I was made of -- and so will the Senate if they try to increase our taxes one more dime." Forget the fact that she would not be a one-woman steamroller against tax increases, how could you not admire her blind tenacity?

Well, it's blind tenacity. According to a University of Delaware poll, Chris Coons, O'Donnell's Democratic Party opponent, is besting her by 19 points. A Fairleigh Dickinson University survey has Coons up by 17 points over O'Donnell. This latest campaign ad could change the dynamic and narrative of this race and help her close the gap -- if she weren't unhinged and unprepared for a seat in the United States Senate.

By Jonathan Capehart  | October 8, 2010; 8:33 AM ET
Categories:  Capehart  | Tags:  Jonathan Capehart
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Westboro Baptist Church's protected speech
Next: If the Dems win, will Pelosi still be speaker?

Comments

She should have studied her 'witchcraft' professionally, at yale, with Coons if she wants 'credit'.

Posted by: MikeMcLamara | October 8, 2010 9:26 AM | Report abuse

Obama was unhinged and unprepared but was elected president.

Posted by: nokandoo | October 8, 2010 9:39 AM | Report abuse

The "I didn't go to Yale" is a dig at Coons' privilege and at the same time, cover for her own resume scandal - Oxford, Clairmont and maybe Princton.

She got her degree Sep 1, 2010 from Farleigh-Dickinson, 21 years after she entered as a Freshman. The fact she didn't go to Yale probably has more to do with that than Coons privilege, wherein she conflates inherited wealth with academic achievement.

A brilliant student and collegiate debater at Amherst College, double major in Chemistry and PoliSci, Chris went to Yale Law to get his JD, and Yale divinity to get his masters in ethics.

Jeff Lord at American Prospect has been hammering away at Coons for his Marxism, Liberation Theology and Terrorism - yes seriously. Chris wrote a piece for Yale Divinity and said he would bring Yale divinity values to the senate so Lord associated Marxism etc, thus Yale Divinity values are NOW a bad thing.

Posted by: NeilSagan | October 8, 2010 9:55 AM | Report abuse

Okay. So she didn't go to Yale. The ever-evolving Christine O'Donnell academic resume keeps revealing itself.

In the next episode- er, ad, we will learn that "like me" she didn't really study at Oxford after all. You don't say, Christine.

The one constant, apparently, is this troubling identity disorder she can't seem to shake. This is really the best the Republicans could find?

Posted by: B2O2 | October 8, 2010 9:57 AM | Report abuse

On youtube you can find the ' I'm a Witch. I'm you" run offs of this add.

Posted by: lmc1986 | October 8, 2010 9:59 AM | Report abuse

On youtube you can find the "I'm a Witch. I'm you" run offs of this add:

Posted by: NeilSagan | October 8, 2010 10:07 AM | Report abuse

B202
She's not a republican. She's a tea party candidate. Not even the republicans are backing her. At least not yet.

Posted by: strictly_liberal | October 8, 2010 10:08 AM | Report abuse

We seem to know more about O'Donnel's academic background than Obama's -- who has spent well over $ 1 million dollars in legal fees making sure all his past records are sealed shut and NOT transparent to the public.

Posted by: RMarvel | October 8, 2010 10:26 AM | Report abuse

Have the Dummy attacks just set the stage for a HUGE October surprise ?

Did the Christine haters catch her long interview last night on CNN ? ... She blew the CNN guys away ! Even Spitzer and Parker later discussed her with something close to admiration.

Wolf Blitzer even quoted what many viewers twittered... "she is much more informed and intelligent than we were led to believe"

All the CNN guys were surprised and impressed by her style and substance. O'Donnell came across as a confident, poised, articulate, and intelligent mainstream conservative ! Who knew ?

She was very well briefed on all major issues and slammed the Democratic failures (stimulus, spending, Obamacare) with zingers. It was AMAZING !!

I had my doubts like most… but anyone who gets to hear her is going to be SUPER-surprised. After trashing her as dumb and dumber… Dems are now in trouble in Delaware ! just UNBELIEVEABLE !

Posted by: pvilso24 | October 8, 2010 10:42 AM | Report abuse

RMarvel, just quit making stuff up, will you? Obama's Juris Doctor from Harvard, Magna cum Laude, is so far ahead of poor old witch Christine's threadbare and at least partially made up academic record that it is not funny.

Posted by: Hura | October 8, 2010 10:53 AM | Report abuse

I saw the the CNN interview last night as well. She comes across as an intelligent, articulate mainstream conservative with well thought out positions on everything from taxes, to government regulation, to foreign relations. Not at all what I expected after all of the ridicule that I have been reading about her.

I went a step further today and did a little reading about her on the Web, and if you cut through all of the nastiness and partisanship, what you find is a young woman who has lived a not un-common life in which she questioned the values that her family instilled in her, and came out the other side with a new appreciation for their wisdom. She is a practicing Catholic who really lives by the values of her church (yes, even on such hot button issues as birth control and horrors! sex outside of marriage) but promises to use the Constitution, not the Bible, as her guide as a U.S. Senator.

What is it about this seemingly charming, likeable, articulate woman that scares the hell out of the power structure and causes them to go after her in such an unprecedented way? I think it may well be because if she is elected, she will be beholden to no one but the citizens of Delaware. How scary that must be to the D.C, power structure, the Karl Roves and Mike Castles of the world, and most especially the Obamaites.

Can't you imagine how much fun it would be to have Miss O'Donnell in the Senate, telling the Republican Whip to stuff it if he tried to get her to vote for somebody's earmark?

I say good luck and God bless to her.

Posted by: rhgibson | October 8, 2010 2:24 PM | Report abuse

My dear liberal friends, keep mocking the "small people."
On November 3, let me know how that works out for you.

Posted by: miriamac2001 | October 9, 2010 1:04 AM | Report abuse

Obama and his attack dogs in Washington Post continue to smear their political opponents as witches.

It is incredible, laughable and ridiculous that Obama and his toadies in Washington Post still smear political dissidents as witches as the English did against Joan of Arc and the Salem witch hunt in this 21st century America.

Posted by: skponggol | October 9, 2010 1:46 AM | Report abuse

*I* am not qualified to make decisions about this country for the next six years...and *I* have a Masters Degree, tons of years in business for myself, have raised two children, put one in college, and done a ton of REAL PEOPLE STUFF that that women has not. She is NOT me and I don't believe for one minute that just because she has had money problems she is like others.

In fact, the biggest damning trait she has, IMO, is that she has NO BANK ACCOUNT!!! Do any of you know what that almost always means? It means she has or has had financial problems so big that she can keep any money anywhere where others can get at it. Period. Fact. Ask around the poorest neighborhoods. They'll tell you why they don't have bank accounts.

Posted by: pasc1 | October 9, 2010 2:33 PM | Report abuse

The Liberal Media created this "witch hunt" Christine was on Politically incorrect as a 19 year old... that is pretty impressive. As a 19 year old she spoke about doing something silly when she was even younger! We must all be witches if we are going to be held accountable for things we did as teenagers. Bill Maher on the other hand is getting ZERO press about having lost his position on his show "politically incorrect" for saying (as an adult mind you) that on 9/11 how BRAVE the terrorists are. WHY isn't the media replaying that clip???? Republicans stand up and back O'Donnell... it makes me sick how you all stand by and watch her get thrown under the bus.

Posted by: TheMediaSucks | October 11, 2010 11:56 PM | Report abuse