Posted at 10:50 AM ET, 11/24/2010

On airport security, do we really want to be like Israel?

By Joel Dreyfuss

I hope we get over our romanticism about Israel's airport security protocols in a hurry. I flew out of Ben Gurion International Airport in 2005, and it was one of the most unpleasant experiences I ever had as a traveler. The fuss over airport security pat-downs in the United States has renewed attention to Israel's approach. The Jewish state, long accustomed to the theorist threat, has implemented a much-admired security protocol whose best advertisement is a lack of successful terrorist acts on planes arriving or leaving Israel.

Skeptics have already pointed out that Israel has just two airports and 50 flights a day, and that its thorough security process could never be scaled up for the hundreds of airports and thousands of daily flights in the United States. But for all its vaunted sophistication, Israel's approach boils down to a lot of profiling and political intrusion.

I went to Israel five years ago as editor-in-chief of Red Herring, a technology finance publication based in Silicon Valley, to participate in a venture capital conference. Like many first-time visitors, I couldn't help but notice the extent of security measures: metal detectors at restaurants and hotel entrances, the ubiquitous presence of armed guards, and the number of Israelis who bore arms. I got used to being asked at security checkpoints, "Are you carrying a weapon?" and watching Israelis pull out guns and check them at certain events like we hand over coats and umbrellas.

But it was my departure that put me in close proximity to the vaunted security system.

I knew I was in for an unpleasant time when the young security man looked at my U.S. passport, looked me up and down and asked, "What kind of name is Dreyfuss?" "Jewish," I told him, "one of the most famous Jewish names in the world." I was somewhat shocked that he didn't know. What were they teaching kids in Israel these days? But I kept those thoughts to myself.
"Are you Jewish?" he asked. I told him no, but that my grandfather had been. I didn't think it would be helpful to explain I was born into a racially-diverse family in Haiti and that I was Catholic. I had already noticed that the combination of my tan complexion and short mustache frequently drew suspicious looks during my stay, but I assumed my body language tagged me as a foreigner. On the flight back, when I raised the issue with a seatmate, she said, "Well, you look like you might be Arab."

Apparently, my security screener had the same impression. The next thing I knew, I was being directed to a very long line. Almost all the people on my line were Arabs or Africans. The much shorter, fast-moving line consisted mostly of white Americans and Europeans. Everyone on my queue was asked to open their luggage for inspection. When the security team got to me, they went through the books and magazines I had packed. A booklet from the Peres Center for Peace, which I had visited at the request of my publisher, seemed to raise alarm. The man searching my bag called a supervisor, who called his boss over. They asked me why I had visited the Peres center. "Because I'm a journalist," I replied. I must have said the magic word. "Journalist?" the boss repeated. Suddenly, my books were put back, my suitcase was snapped shut, and I was on my way home.

If Americans adopt Israel's approach to security, they should be prepared for racial and ethnic profiling, questions about their religious preferences, and careful examination of their reading material. Maybe full-body scans are a less intrusive after all. I suspect the real reason for the outrage over body scanners and pat-downs is that the majority of Americans are finally experiencing the kind of discomfiting scrutiny that has long been routine for those who are repeatedly profiled and humiliated. As long as it was someone else, it didn't matter.

Joel Dreyfuss is the managing editor of The Root

By Joel Dreyfuss  | November 24, 2010; 10:50 AM ET
Categories:  Dreyfuss  | Tags:  Joel Dreyfuss
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: The enduring appeal of trying terrorists before military commissions
Next: In praise of a party warhorse

Comments

Thanks for sharing your experience and insights, Joel. I've never traveled to Israel or the Middle East but know many people who have, and virtually all of them have shared similar accounts. And any desire I had to visit that part of the world just dwindled)

Posted by: DCSteve1 | November 24, 2010 12:32 PM | Report abuse

Very interesting piece. I've never thought profiling was the way to go, but wasting billions of dollars on scanners which cannot detect either body cavity bombs or liquid bombmaking ingredients has never seemed like a sound investment in security, either.

Posted by: Itzajob | November 24, 2010 12:47 PM | Report abuse

Israel's system works on a small scale but is manpower intensive and few or no reasonable alternative travel methods.

There have been reports of the scanners picking up some women using tampons, so radiation likely higher on some equipment, to check on internal bombs or possible drugs.
If you travel 2 to 3 times a year then radiation not really a problem, like being out in the sun for an hour or two but weekly could put you at much higher risk, so some type of ID system is needed for frequent flyers.

There is new equipment under development but since 3 to 10yrs away but terrorists will always look to find the weakest link in security.

Posted by: Bloodyscot | November 24, 2010 12:48 PM | Report abuse

to Mr Dreyfuss; all,

at the rate that BHO's coven of "Daley-machine thugs, socialists, stalinists, statists, FOOLS, bigots, antisemites & some just plain common criminals" is taking away our LIBERTY, i suspect that Israel's security system will look SIMPLE/unobtrusive/inexpensive within a few months.

to ALL: IF you are as disgusted as our members are with what the DIMocRAT extremists have done over the last few years to the USA, come join the TEA PARTY in your city/county/state & help us take our republic back to safe/sane/small & CONSTITUTIONAL government.

NOTE: the BEST/cheapest airline security starts with allowing/encouraging EVERY sworn peace officer (of every US jurisdiction) to carry his/her issued handgun aboard, by simply showing their police credentials to the TSA.= on 9/11/01, just ONE peace officer on each of the doomed planes would have QUICKLY (and possibly bloodlessly) ended the "suicide missions" of the fanatics.

yours, TN46
coordinator, CCTPP

Posted by: texasnative46 | November 24, 2010 12:53 PM | Report abuse

I have a right to be in public anywhere (EVEN AT THE AIRPORT!) without being stripped or intimately groped without probable cause. What are airports some kind of normal-human-emotions-don't-exist zone?

... even if there were the the most compelling of practical reasons ...

There is an extremely practical reason to allow police to randomly frisk any young male (especially) they wish to. This would end all gang violence in the poorest neighborhoods and make Americans who live there feel much less like they are permanent prisoners in their own homes (I fully understand; I'm originally from the Bronx). But the Constitution has some very pointed things to say about it because we don't want to live in a police state.

Imagine if Osama threatened America with an airliner brought down if we did not electronically strip search 3 million men and women every day all over the country and have strangers aggressively grope all the private areas of 100,000 men and WOMEN in public. Would you give in to that threat? Imagine after we gave in to such mass ugliness an airliner went down anyway -- and Obama laughed and said I fooled you; I sent that bomber in from outside the country just like the last two -- foolish Americans! (Or maybe he really found a 300 "martyr" -- have to investigate if there were any obese Islamic passengers on the downed plane.)

Posted by: DenisDrew | November 24, 2010 12:58 PM | Report abuse

So my takeaway from this story was that profiling works.

Posted by: jaydawg2 | November 24, 2010 1:00 PM | Report abuse

Israelis and their supporters just like to brag about their system and can sniff big money if the US were to ask them to help, no I dont want anything Israel in the US, they have already done us enough harm.

Posted by: obeeone | November 24, 2010 1:04 PM | Report abuse

Damn, those "Flat Earthers" will kill us for sure!

Posted by: shelleybear | November 24, 2010 1:06 PM | Report abuse

Joel Dreyfuss is absolutely correct that America's security is far superior and equitable than Israel's. Junk is junk under a scanner with no racial distinction. I long to see the Holy Land one of these days and sincerely hope Mr. Dreyfuss's raising awareness of the problem will improve Israel's overall security screening and security guard hiring process.

Posted by: EvanCA | November 24, 2010 1:07 PM | Report abuse

Thanks but no thanks, Israel can keep its racist security system to itself.

Posted by: obeeone | November 24, 2010 1:08 PM | Report abuse

My takeaway from this story is that the author was offended when his last name wasn't recognized as being "one of the most famous Jewish names in the world."

Wah, wah, wah.

That young security man was there to do his job, not stroke the ego of the author.

Posted by: randomscreenname | November 24, 2010 1:09 PM | Report abuse

Thanks but no thanks, Israel can keep its racist security system to itself. The only ones to clamour for it in the US will be the Pro Israel and ultra right wing NAZI nuts and Muslim haters....like Michael Weiner Savage, Ann Coulter, Michelle Malkin, Rush Limbaugh, etc

Posted by: obeeone | November 24, 2010 1:09 PM | Report abuse

Would I rather be asked question, or felt up?
What do YOU think?

Posted by: shelleybear | November 24, 2010 1:10 PM | Report abuse

Most Arab countries don' even let people in with Israeli stamps on their passports, so that would be the ultimate prejudice/profiling, huh?

I do not see what is wrong with any country more closely questioning or searching travelers who fit more closely the description of terrorists have been in the past. Remember that the suicide bombers were Arab, and they blew up thousands of innocent Muslim, Christian and Jewish people in Israel.

I went through Israeli security recently. My friend, who had grown a beard and looked very scruffy, was questioned more than me. But that's the way of the world. Sure beats the TSA workers who have literally put their hands in my underwear twice this month, and would not change gloves prior.

There was a rocket fired on Tel Aviv last Friday, and there is active terrorism going on there.

I would thank Israeli security for their efforts. The TSA is just a ridiculous group. The underwear bomber was an intelligence failure, and as a result I have TSA workers stroking and squeezing my vaginal area and breasts. What a joke. And an assault, not reportable.

Posted by: nevada112274 | November 24, 2010 1:10 PM | Report abuse

Do you really think it's an all or nothing proposition? I don't believe we should engage in ethnic profiling but that doesn't mean we should dismiss Israel's entire security system. Questioning people is a good idea. Paying attention to behavior is a good idea. It would have prevented the attack last Christmas after all.

Last but not least, if you really believe TSA agents aren't singling out people who look Middle Eastern or who have Muslim sounding names, then I have a nice bridge in NYC to sell you. Not that I agree with the practice but at least the Israelis are honest about it.

Posted by: DanielPlainview | November 24, 2010 1:16 PM | Report abuse

How many Islamic states surround America? Oh, that's right...none. If America were surrounded by Islamic states then our airport security would be very similar to Israel's. People have to stop being so politically correct. There is a significant profiling difference between an old white lady and a young Afghani male. Let's not be naive. Why is that you ask? Well, look at Islamic Jihadist attacks since 2001. We are having a hard time stopping them here in America. How much harder do you think it is to stop them in Israel? What do the Islamic texts say? Have you looked into that? You may be surprised to see that many Islamic Jihadists are doing what they are commanded to do. Why isn't the news of hundreds of Christians being killed and churches being destroyed in Iraq being covered by all the major news outlets? They aren't being killed by 'terrorists', they are being killed by Muslims. Muslims who live there and have jobs and families...not psychopaths. Maybe then you'll see why Israel's security is so aggressive. They are beyond political correctness and are at the 'common sense' stage.

Posted by: d_ruiz27 | November 24, 2010 1:18 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, we don't want secure planes because it's racist.

Heck of an article. You played word games with security at the Israeli airport but it was because they were racist that you got asked a couple extra questions.

Posted by: JoeCasepack | November 24, 2010 1:20 PM | Report abuse

I think you may not be aware of but America and most of the western world and even India is following more or less Israeli security system. Most of the Israeli firms are involved in making modern scanners and security gears around the globe.
As far as security check is concern; we Muslims are always suspected as tainted unless they checked out thoroughly using all means and gears. Our civil rights, privacy rights even human rights have no value when we want to travel on plain or even in Amtrak.
It is very sad and shocking to learn that even our own Indian Consulate office in San Francisco is also using the same tactics you have faced in Israel. This consulate segregate the visa applicants in 3 categories; (i)Whites (vip)(ii) Hindus (natives) and (iii) Muslims (unwanted).

Posted by: citysoilverizonnet | November 24, 2010 1:22 PM | Report abuse

Joel, I am sorry you had so unpleasant an experience, but the proper way to word your question is not 'Do we really want to be like Israel?' but 'WHEN do we want to become more like Israel?’ The answer to the question is ‘WHEN we want to improve our Homeland Security and deter Al-Qa’eda’s declared intentions to undermine our nation’s security, whether from without or within’.

I recall an experience about 35 years ago when I visited El Al's office in Boston on business. Before they would allow me to enter, they gave me the ‘full treatment'. At the time, I scratched my head, but in retrospect, I have come to realize that their approach is less intrusive and more appropriate than anything the TSA has come up with.

You are correct that it is 'labor intensive'. El Al only hires skillful professionals to become screeners, trains them in the most effective, best proven screening techniques, pays them decent wages, and touts them as the best of their kind in the world.

Compare that to the stupidity that passes for screening in the US. IMHO, the only true deterrent to providing Israel-quality screening in the US is the cost.

In the present political climate, those who ought to be most willing to fund it are obstructionists who would not cooperate if their lives depended upon it. They don't even have the wisdom to recognize that their lives DO depend on effective Homeland Security.

Welcome to '1984', 2010 style.

Posted by: bloommarko4 | November 24, 2010 1:22 PM | Report abuse

I'm sure the guy knew Dreyfuss was a perhaps 'Jewish' name..
he wanted to gauge your reaction..
do you stumble in your reply/get nervous..
like some one should have ask the underwear guy..
you just paid cash..
where do you work..
his plane was full of darkskinned or light skinned folk..
that he little or no baggage was also 'okay'..
he would have never made it out of Tel Aviv Airport..
so yes..
I prefer their system..

Posted by: Rika2 | November 24, 2010 1:24 PM | Report abuse

Joel

We just got back from Israel (Sept 2010) and we never had any problems or saw anybody with travel issues, and when I spoke to other Americans or Europeans they never said anything either when they arrived in Israel.
In fact the biggest travel delay I have is with North American airport security , and especially when flying to Washington DC today. The other point is that, in a fast pace country like Israel, where change is very quick, a 2005 visit is a trip from the dark ages.
Next time Joel, you may want to relate a more current travel story other than your travel experience of five years ago, which is hardly relevant traveling today!! In fact Joel, in Israel NOBODY got felt up leaving like American Airports today!!

Posted by: wiseman_robert | November 24, 2010 1:32 PM | Report abuse

Anybody knows why it is a humiliation to have your junk checked and to be asked silly questions?

Is it also a humiliation to be in the same line with Arabs?

I do understand that standing in a long line while somebody else passes by in a shorter line is irritating.

But does not the same happen to all the non-citizens who arrive to the USA, who have to wait long and answer silly questions while the citizens breeze along?

A suspect this feeling of "humiliation" has its source in Joel Dreyfuss being too arrogant to accept being for once not in the fast lane as is his "due" and presumed privilege.

Posted by: peaceforgoodpeople | November 24, 2010 1:32 PM | Report abuse

Thanks obeeone for putting your racist, Jew-hating views on display for all to see. If we were to move to a profiling system you'd be the first on extra-scrutiny line, and a good thing too. We'd all be the safer for it.

Posted by: bklynbirny | November 24, 2010 1:41 PM | Report abuse

I jus also noticed that his experience was in 2005.

How could the Washington Post even publish a story based on an experience in security 5 years ago?

I also want to point out that people keep comparing what these TSA agents do now to what we as doctors do.

Posted by: nevada112274 | November 24, 2010 1:43 PM | Report abuse

...another loser liberals call for protest ignored....hahahaha! Americans don't care for your liberal spew...crawl back under your rock and entertain the slime.

Posted by: JWx2 | November 24, 2010 1:51 PM | Report abuse

I rather we embrace the Israeli approach. I am one that could be profile as Arab yet I got more respect for that than the questionable searches currently done.

Posted by: braascohelp | November 24, 2010 1:52 PM | Report abuse

neveda112274,

fyi, my lady was wearing a stainless steel/nylon/teflon/kevlar "waist to beyond the sole of the foot" surgical/traction leg-brace the last time we flew into BWI from SAT & the "security people" insisted that she remove it from her leg (despite the fact that she had her surgical/medical records "in hand"), before they would "clear her through" security.
(fyi, trying to put the brace back ON inside the airport was "NOT FUN", given that i had no place "reasonably private", where i could help her. - it took us about 25 minutes to complete the task.)

fwiw, i was a peace officer for well over 2 decades & a "bomb dog" could have "cleared her into" the "secure area" in about 2 minutes. = WHY aren't we using DOGS (and maybe even some "common sense") instead of very expensive machines & people for this important task?

yours, TN46
coorsdinator, CCTPP

Posted by: texasnative46 | November 24, 2010 2:25 PM | Report abuse

neveda112274,

yours, TN46
coorsdinator, CCTPP

Posted by: texasnative46 | November 24, 2010 2:26 PM | Report abuse

So it comes down to this question - are you willing to sacrifice a planeful of people every some odd years for the travel comfort of all the rest of us? One plane every 5 years - is that a satisfying number to sacrifice? One in every 10? 20? When does it become acceptable to most? For Israel, one hijacked plane and loss of life is too many EVER. And if that means that some people will have to wait in line and be asked "offensive" questions about their background, or that some journalist is going to whine about it and write an article in the Washington Post, so be it. I'll only fly an Israeli airline - because i know they care more about MY LIFE.

Posted by: dolphinak | November 24, 2010 2:35 PM | Report abuse

Hi,
I am an American of Indian origin.
I was on a business trip to Isreal about 6 months ago.

On arrival, from a planeload of people, only 2 persons were pulled out for detailed questioning - a person of African origin and myself. The rest(persons of European origin) were given a free pass.

On exit, again I faced a large battery of questions, which white persons never had to face.

Is racial discrimination justified? I am proud to be an American, a national of a country where all persons are treated equally. India also treats all people equally-the commenter above is quite incorrect.

Racism is wrong in all forms. I have NO criminal record of any sort(not even any traffic offense). Why should I be pulled out of line ?

Proud to be American.

If any person supports profiling, READ the 15th and 24th Amendments of the constitution.

Posted by: indian1 | November 24, 2010 2:38 PM | Report abuse

Profiling makes more sense than strip searching three year old children.

Posted by: wakeup3 | November 24, 2010 2:39 PM | Report abuse

yes, we do!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: tdiaz | November 24, 2010 2:44 PM | Report abuse

Is racial discrimination ok?

Posted by: indian1 | November 24, 2010 2:55 PM | Report abuse

Have some fun with the probing and patting by giving this shirt a boost. It is in a competition for6 more day...a fun commentary on this domestic issue. Would you wear this through the security line?

Posted by: elitomi | November 24, 2010 3:00 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: DCSteve .....red similar accounts. And any desire I had to visit that part of the world just dwindled.""

I heard the founder of Eng without Borders tell of his experiences in Isreal and I have the same sentiment. No Love lost!!

By the way, Glad to see that the SHEEPLE are finally accepting the invasion of privacy. Now let's have these virtual strip stations at bus/train stations, gas stations, Malls, Stores, schools and Churches (haha I can't help laughing at that one, but wasn't there a crazed terrorist who started shooting at his fellow congregation?). But NO ONE wants to think about why we have these things around in the first place.

Once the foreign tourist industry starts to dry up, watch how quickly these things will be taken down.

Posted by: yard80197 | November 24, 2010 3:00 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Bloodyscot |
....

Radiation not a problem? You a selfstyled expert on radiation, making statements of importance? (Or a shill for the industry...?) Read the NYT article Radiation Worries for Children in Dentists Chairs.

Posted by: yard80197 | November 24, 2010 3:04 PM | Report abuse

I was privileged enough to have been to Israel in 2008. They asked my wife and me the standard (I suppose) questions coming and going, and that was it. Nothing more. Same with the others that I saw.

The trip was a once in a lifetime experience, the people were great, the food was good (even without bacon, although I heard they have it in some restaurants), and the new airport terminal is beautiful.

I saw the other day that over 3 million people have gone this year- more than any other year, and the year isn't over yet. Seems that Dreyfus is an anomaly.

Posted by: JamesMeeker | November 24, 2010 3:09 PM | Report abuse

For the US to use the Israeli system the cost would be the biggest problem.

First the cost to employ maybe twice as many then the 1 to 2yrs of training needed, along with the higher salary needed to keep them one they are fully trained.
Second would be cost to improve the FBI/Homeland security database and more FBI agents for all the background checks and to input the data.
Third would be cost to the Airlines since more people would drive or use Bus/Trains, which is not an option in going to Israel.

The biggest problem is that terrorists will look for the weakest link in security, which maybe using rockets or remote control small planes to bring down aircraft near airports or make clothing out of explosives and a button as detonator.

Posted by: Bloodyscot | November 24, 2010 3:12 PM | Report abuse

Greece has some pretty tight security, too. We went through three levels of security while getting on our plane. There were no facilities, no food, no water, not even bathrooms, within the third level, and you were in constant view of security guards.

Posted by: samsara15 | November 24, 2010 3:30 PM | Report abuse

Isreal is a welfare state , addicted to large payments from American taxpayers . They love REpublican controlled congress because they know that their annual payments from American tax-payers will be larger . Isreal panders to the rich multi-national REpublicans by keeping the war with palestine alive so that they can get more American tax-payer subsidies and the REpublicans love it because it means more government contracts with rich multi-national REpublican arms manufacturers , and their war-for-profit schemes . The airport screening situation is as ugly and invasive as the state of Isreal itself , and Isreal seeks to provide american leadership , models , to emulate here at home and get even more attention and American tax dollars . There is nothing left about the idea of the state of Isreal that is honorable anymore as they've degenerated into a war-for-profit machine , addicted to American tax dollars and they could not survive without them .

Posted by: beenliedto | November 24, 2010 3:30 PM | Report abuse

This article is a sham. They analyze based on three things: Your country of origin, your travel history and your body language. The fact that this guy was already aggravated probably tipped off their analysts. Once they found out he was just annoyed to be in the other line, and was there on work, they let him go.

But way to make assumptions about a system that has been pretty much perfect as opposed to ours that is known to be a scam.

Posted by: Natstural | November 24, 2010 3:53 PM | Report abuse

Lord, no, we should not be like israel in any way, shape or form.

Posted by: Thoughtful-Ted | November 24, 2010 4:28 PM | Report abuse

Yes it sucks to be "racially profiled" but it sucks more to be blown up. The profiling system is not racist - its realistic. I've gone through some pretty strict security in israeli airport - the lines,questions and checking into my bags. let me tell u something - i don't care! never once did i complain, i let them do their freakin jobs that save lives. And i find it offensive that people complain about it. Unless they have another solution that saves lives just as effectively. otherwise, they're condoning the inevitable murder for the sake of their comfort. i find it infuriating.

Posted by: dolphinak | November 24, 2010 5:09 PM | Report abuse

For the US to use the Israeli system the cost would be the biggest problem.

=========================================

True, and since the TSA is trying to recruit people by placing ads on pizza boxes maybe it is unrealistic that we can have a well trained professional security force like in Israel.

Posted by: bbface21 | November 24, 2010 5:17 PM | Report abuse

Often, racism and racist profiling are alleged at Israelis' methods of security. I believe this is not true because when men hate and kill each other, it is not because of race, it is because of culture. Israelis are wary of the Arab culture, they should be. People are not born with hate in their blood, they learn over time. They learn to hate from their family and friends and their Inmans. Their culture teaches them how to make bombs so that they can blow up busses full of children and restaurants full of families. Israel must take every step to protect itself even if an American Jew has his feelings hurt. And lastly, if the Arabs want peace it is in their hands, all they need to do is "declare peace" and make it stick. Then, profiling will not be needed.

Posted by: loufoot1 | November 24, 2010 5:25 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: loufoot1 | November 24, 2010 5:25 PM | Report abuse

"Isrl" has every right to feel insecure: It is seting on stolen property.

Besides,racial profiling is not one of 'isrl's' biggest short comings: Ethnic Cleasning and Apartheida are.

Posted by: asizk | November 24, 2010 5:49 PM | Report abuse

By the way, my friend who was questioned in detail in Israel is Jewish, he just looked pretty rough that day, with his beard growth.

Again, most Arab countries don't let in Israelis or anyone who has visited Israel, so the Arab countries are profiling by religion and national origin.

For all of the money the US is spending on machines, they could hire an educated and well-trained screening force. Now the agents seem poorly educated and untrained.

I really don't want to get a skin infection from their dirty gloves, but I also don't want to be threatened with arrest if I ask for the TSA screener to change gloves before she does a search wherein she puts her hands into my underwear again this weekend.

Posted by: nevada112274 | November 24, 2010 7:07 PM | Report abuse

The curtain between government and our most private privacy has been raised from ocean to ocean: 3 million men and women everyday exposed naked to the eye of an unseen stranger (maybe even sneaky peeks in those back rooms) and 100,000 more men and women have their most-privates groped by a stranger in view of strangers (family and friends could feel worse). All for nothing.

Well; not for absolutely nothing: it will make it a bit less likely any home-grown shoe or underwear bomber will take down a domestic flight -- and more likely they will destroy a flight originating in Europe or Africa or Asia or South America (the only attempts so far). Or a home-grown will need a "martyr" big or obese enough to tape plastique comfortably inside their butt-cheeks with whatever little wires and switch hidden from a metal detector in an adjacent cavity; batteries not included, can be carried in a little flashlight. Or buy a round-trip ticket. All for nothing.

If an eccentric millionaire offered $50,000 rewards to all who could cross screening with equivalent size devices he might go broke in a month. Anybody see how the New York Detective smuggled a pistol (what we Bronx kids would have called a "zip gun" in the '50s) into Russia in the "Gorky Park" movie. All for nothing.

Personal privacy doesn't worry you personally? Being regularly frisked by police without probable cause might not irk many people. In our worst neighborhoods such frisking of young males could bring an end to gang violence and the worst crime; freeing residents to roam outside their homes again -- to me that would be something worth considering. In the three months after 9/11, 1,000 more Americans died in traffic accidents avoiding air travel. How many "hidden" airline crash equivalents (if we count 200 extra highway deaths as one domestic airliner load) will sacrificing our most fundamental 4th and 14th Amendment rights -- the latter would invoke Roe v. Wade's compelling interest test? -- cost every year -- all for basically nothing.

Posted by: DenisDrew | November 24, 2010 8:35 PM | Report abuse

If you want America to go down the toilet, then by all means emulate what israel does. But if you envision a different, a better future for America, then America should strive to be as different from israel as is possible.

Posted by: Thoughtful-Ted | November 24, 2010 9:06 PM | Report abuse

@thoughtful-ted: how does your comment have anything to do with security? Are you on favor of the choice between the radiation emitting machines/groping or in favor of other methods? Or are you just trying to make a quick comment not relating to the topic on hand?

Posted by: nevada112274 | November 24, 2010 9:48 PM | Report abuse

Oh yes, I would much rather have my wife and daughter groped than be asked a few questions.
Are you kidding? The Israeli system is superior, and no, it is not "racist." If you have a one way ticket, or answer in a way that requires more questioning--yes, like you did, Joel--they will single you out. As they should. As we should. I know Israel is a smaller nation, and logistically it will be hard for us, but their system works. Meanwhile, attitudes like yours will get Americans killed. Please stop it.

Posted by: mivogo | November 24, 2010 11:49 PM | Report abuse

I have visited Israel twice in the past 3 years. And my experience is consistent with Mr. Dreyfuss'. If you do not have a letter from your host explaining why you were in Israel, then you are in for a 2-hour process of answering questions, opening your bags, and waiting in multiple lines in order to leave the country. Our current security system is like a huge tax levied on our economy. If we adopted the so-called Israeli system, that would be akin to a 300% tax increase.

What I've learned from 9/11, the shoe bomber, and the underwear bomber is that the most important component of security is the other passengers on the plane. They've stopped 3 attacks. Can the TSA document that they have stopped any?

Posted by: tgd123 | November 25, 2010 2:17 AM | Report abuse

The Israeli system works for Israel. My understanding is that you arrive at the airport up to 3-4 hours before a flight. That wouldn't work in the US. Imagine that wait for hour long flights between The SF Bay Area and Southern Cal. Or DC and NY. Or Houston and dallas. Or Chicago and a few dozen cities!!!

Works in Israel and I'm glad for that. But for the US? No.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | November 25, 2010 2:44 AM | Report abuse

It's about the Constitution, stupid! Read my lips. Keep your hands off of my person, don't touch my children, DO NOT EVER touch my wife, and stay out of my pants!

"WE THE PEOPLE" HAVE A RIGHT TO HAVE "PROBABLE CAUSE" EXERCISED BY AUTHORITIES, NOT TO BE MAULED AND MANHANDLED BY TSA "EMPLOYEES". AND AS FAR AS THE "OFFICIAL LINE" OF THE TSA, THAT THEY ARE JUST "DOING THEIR JOB", REMEMBER THE LINE THAT THE NAZI'S USED AFTER BEING CAPTURED BY "REAL AMEERICANS" AFTER WWII? "WE WERE JUST FOLLOWING ORDERS". SORRY, BUT THAT LINE JUST WILL NOT CUT IT, IT'S BEEN TRIED BEFORE, AND WAS NO MORE ACCEPTABLE THEN, THAN IT IS NOW.

IN A SOCIETY THAT TELLS US THAT A WOMAN HAS A RIGHT TO HER OWN BODY, SUCH AS IN ABORTION, SO DO CITIZENS! WHEN THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT GETS SERIOUS ABOUT PROTECTING THE BORDERS, MAYBE THEN WE CAN ACCEPT THE LINE THAT THEY ARE JUST GROPING US "FOR OUR OWN GOOD". TILL THEN, THIS IS JUST NOT ACCEPTABLE.

Posted by: barrysal | November 25, 2010 3:39 AM | Report abuse

IT'S ABOUT THE CONSTITUTION, STUPID, READ MY LIPS. "WE THE PEOPLE" HAVE A CONSTITUTIONAL RIGHT TO HAVE "PROBABLE CAUSE" EXERCISED BY OUR AUTHORITIES. REMEMBER AFTER THE END OF WWII WHEN THE GERMAN OFFICERS WERE CAPTURED? THEY SAID THAT THEY WERE JUST DOING THEIR JOB, YOU KNOW, "JUST FOLLOWING ORDERS". THAT LINE WAS NO MORE ACCEPTABLE BACK THEN, THAN IT IS TODAY.

KEEP YOUR HANDS OFF MY CHILDREN, OFF MY WIFE, AND OUT OF MY PANTS! THERE ARE TOO MANY BRAVE US SOLDIERS WHO DIED FIGHTING FOR OUR FREEDOMS, FOR US TO ACCEPT THIS TREATMENT BY OUR GOVERNMENT.

IN A SOCIETY THAT TELLS US THAT A WOMAN CAN DO WHATEVER SHE WANTS WITH HER "OWN" BODY, THERE SHOULD BE NO REASON WHY OUR GOVERNMENT CAN MANHANDLE OUR WOMEN IN A WAY THAT WOULD BRING THE AVERAGE CITIZEN IMMEDIATE ARREST OUT ON THE STREET. THE TSA ISN'T ABOVE THE LAW!

THIS TYPE OF BEHAVIOUR BY OUR "OFFICIALS" IS NOT ACCEPTABLE AND MUST STOPPED IMMEDIATELY, IF NOT SOONER!

AS OUR PRESIDENT LIKES TO SAY, "ELECTIONS HAVE CONSEQUENSES". IF IT WILL TAKE A FEW MORE ELECTIONS TO GET OUR MESSAGE ACCROSS, THEN SO BE IT.

Posted by: barrysal | November 25, 2010 3:52 AM | Report abuse

Of course we do not want to be like Israel. America was founded by great men who believed in basic common decency, fair play and the rule of law. Israel was founded by Russian Bolshevik Communist land thieves who only believed in TERRORISM, and they were very qualified in that, after their experiences in running the Cheka and the Gulag.

Posted by: usnr02 | November 25, 2010 5:47 AM | Report abuse

"I got used to being asked at security checkpoints, "Are you carrying a weapon?" and watching Israelis pull out guns and check them at certain events like we hand over coats and umbrellas."

Huh? I've lived in Jerusalem, Israel, for 27 years (over half my life), and I can't ever remember seeing anyone hand over a gun or a permit when asked if they're armed. So, sorry, but I believe his story of his Ben Gurion experience is equally as exaggerated.

At the airports (in Israel and at every El Al counter in the world), everyone gets questioned, even returning citizens. They watch you closely as you answer. Like with policemen, you annoy the guards at your own risk. But I'd surely rather the guards reserve most of their time and attention for people who warrant it. It just makes sense that way.

And for the record, my daughter learned about Dreyfuss in her Jerusalem high school.

Posted by: sierrarama | November 25, 2010 8:04 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: sierrarama | November 25, 2010 8:24 AM | Report abuse

THE TONE OF THIS ARTICLE IS OBVIOUSLY RACIST ON THE PART OF THE WRITER.

Posted by: betheloveyouare | November 25, 2010 9:34 AM | Report abuse

So profiling seems to have worked.

Initially deemed a possible risk.. once lightly examined ... you were allowed to proceed quickly.

You would rather Americans continue to be subjected to degrading body searches ? - think after the first cavity bomb attack)

You would rather America spend billions on low-value - no terrorist ever caught - procedures ?

Liberals like you opposed intrusive Bush-era wire-taping.. now support intrusive body-gropping over effective FBI-like profiling. Just very weird.

Posted by: pvilso24 | November 25, 2010 9:41 AM | Report abuse

You don't understand the Israeli system at all. The person who interviewed you, who is highly trained, probably found it unusual that a person who looks like an Arab right down to the facial hair has a passport bearing a French Jewish name, and when asked about it, he comes prepared with a speech about what a famous Jewish name it is. It actually makes you look suspicious and there's all the reason in the world to ask you a few more questions. Had your answer been more natural it might have avoided the problem.

Having passed through Israeli airport security more times than I can count, I can assure you that the security system there is the most dignified and, judging by the results, most successful in the business.

Only political correctness gone awry (actually all political correctness is awry) can make us think that it's better to touch everyone's genitals or photograph them nude than to offend a few people by asking them some additional questions.

Posted by: karpsamuel | November 25, 2010 9:47 AM | Report abuse

Please note that all Israeli commercial aircraft have an electronic tail warning system and have had for almost five years...to protect them from heat seeking missiles...Their system cost 10k per plane...but was rejected here...in no small part because the US defense industry is peddling solutions that would cost millions per aircraft...think on that when you are being groped

Posted by: Naptowner2010 | November 25, 2010 10:04 AM | Report abuse

Silly Dreyfuss.. We ALREADY do PROFILING !!

As reported by the Washington Post: “Cabinet secretaries, top congressional leaders and an exclusive group of senior U.S. officials are EXEMPT from toughened new airport screening procedures...”

Groping is just for the REST of us.

Posted by: pvilso24 | November 25, 2010 10:10 AM | Report abuse

To all you teabaggers: I find it interesting that you're trying to politicize what is essentially a national security issue, not a political one.

Shame on you.

Also, please name just ONE specific liberty you've been deprived of since O became Prez. I'll bet my little finger you can't do it (because there are none).

Posted by: nyskinsdiehard | November 25, 2010 12:13 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: jaydawg2 | November 24, 2010 1:00 PM
“So my take away from this story was that profiling works.”

It works in Israel because El Al is a government owned airline with 50 flights a day and they pay their people really well.

Can you imagine the uproar from most of the whiners here if the TSA were upgraded to Israeli standards and guards were paid a middle class salary of $250K/year.

Posted by: knjincvc | November 25, 2010 1:21 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: shelleybear | November 24, 2010 1:10 PM
Would I rather be asked question, or felt up?

Depends on which dance club you at.

Posted by: nevada112274 | November 24, 2010 1:43 PM |
“Gee, 5 years ago, TSA agents didn't put their hands into my pants or stroke my vaginal area.
If a doctor ever strokes your vaginal area, breasts, or testicles, or sticks his or her hands into your pants, or does any of those things to a child or other loved one, please report that doctor immediately to a medical board. What the TSA is now doing is not anything that a doctor should ever do to you.”

Gee, have you ever had a physical, mammogram … most guys have been through … drop your pants turn your head and cough or bend over for a prostate check.

Gee, remember all those nights you went clubbing … to grope and be groped.

Posted by: knjincvc | November 25, 2010 1:28 PM | Report abuse

I think it is reasonable to expect prospective travelers to submit to security measures that protect all travelers. Who cares if your genitals are displayed? No one sees anything more that when you look at the lingerie photos in my wife's magazines. If you want to travel safely, get over yourself and cooperate.

Posted by: numbersch13 | November 25, 2010 1:55 PM | Report abuse

I encountered the same intensive scrutiny departing Ben Gurion as blond haired (with a bit of grey), blue-eyed US Army guy traveling on military orders with an “Official” passport. I was interrogated--no other word for it--for about 30 minutes and had all my bags searched before being sent on my way to the gate. Appears they were spreading the profiling around that year, 1998.

Posted by: reeseg | November 25, 2010 2:06 PM | Report abuse

Mr.Dreyfuss,

U should count your blessings ....that your are not a tormented Palestinian soul knuckling under a brutal racist apartheid jewish militray occupation for over sixty yeras.....

Posted by: asizk | November 25, 2010 5:53 PM | Report abuse

"isrl" has every reason to feel insecure:it has been sitting on stolen property for over sixty years and have and continue to torment millions of Palestinian souls with its iron-fisted brutal apartheid military occupation-the longest in modern histroy.

"isrl" is not surrounded by Islamic states:with a formidable nuclear arsenal and a state of the art army freely supplied at US tax payers' expense-"isrl" itself surrounds them all.

Posted by: asizk | November 25, 2010 6:15 PM | Report abuse

I'm all for profiling. That way we won't be strip searching toddlers or groping grandmas. Maybe TSA could then concentrate on young, cash-paying, no-luggage-checking, Sudan-camp-visiting, Middle Eastern men -- just like the underwear bomber, the shoe bomber, the 19 9/11 perpetrators and the Times Square bomber.

In the meantime, we should stop treating every non-government official American like a terrorist and go after the Jihadists on their home turf. The best defense is an offense -- so we need to continue going after these guys in their homelands. Let THEIR homeland security dweebs worry for a change.

Posted by: spamagnet987 | November 25, 2010 11:00 PM | Report abuse

Dreyfuss,

Do all of us a favor....stay out of Israel.

You're a first-class whiner.

To all the haters and bigots, Israel is a fantastic country. Just like the USA.

Posted by: BethesdaDog | November 26, 2010 5:15 AM | Report abuse

It was an interesting article. Mr. Joel Dreyfuss has very rightly highlighted the cost of these security measures on our freedom and liberty. Moreover, the way we get humiliated daily is also very ugly and painful. This is exactly what terrorists want, to make our lives miserable and we are playing into hands by resigning to our freedom and liberty and getting used to daily humiliations. I can't understand that why we don't change our policies to redress the legitimize demands of these people and thus start living safer and happily. Perhaps we lack that kind of wisdom and tolerance which is visible from some very rude and cynical comments above. I can just hope that someday we start learning from history and start respecting each other.

Shams Zaman, Pakistan. smszmn@hotmail.com

Posted by: smszmn72 | November 26, 2010 8:00 AM | Report abuse

All this is just security entertainment. Our water, food, medicines, roads, bridges aren't safe. We aren't safe from our banks, employers or insurance companies that have a far greater chance of harming us than an airplane accident. We do not protect many vital points within the US. Meanwhile this airport security drama hysteria builds fear.

Posted by: DLN1 | November 26, 2010 8:28 AM | Report abuse

Fly nekkid!

Posted by: Capn0ok | November 26, 2010 8:33 AM | Report abuse

A brilliant essay. Definitely pokes a hole into the theory that it's not the method, but the outcome that matters. I do long to see the holy places now under Israeli occupation, but not at the price of being subjected to Israeli humiliation and racist policies. A lot of people in US who admire Israel and its policies are the same ones who admired the 1950's and pre civil war era, where aprtheid was the accepted norm. Israel can keep its racist policies to itself. As for the visit to the holy sites - it will have to wait until the sites become holy again instead of militarily occupied zones.

Posted by: Kingofkings1 | November 26, 2010 8:45 AM | Report abuse

First, the Israeli model is unworkable in the U.S. Israel has thousands of passengers daily and the U.S. has millions. Second, it would be ironic that we copied Israel since it is our support of Israel, especially our arming and financing Israel's brutal occupation and oppression of the Palestinians that cause the terrorists to hate America and want to harm us.We would be better served by changing our foreign policy: get our soldiers out of Muslim countries while cutting off all aid to apartheid Israel. We could then become, for the first time, an honest broker for peace in the Middle East.

Posted by: raygordon2008 | November 26, 2010 9:30 AM | Report abuse

More bed-wetting from the hysterical left. Gee, if we profiled, the lib's would have to admit its someone other then 3 year olds and blue haired old ladies who are trying to kill us. How PC would that be?

Posted by: elcigaro1 | November 26, 2010 9:35 AM | Report abuse

FranknErnest .. you're either being intentionally argumentative or you're just foolish.

The Israeli security you denigrate serves them very well under the circumstances. It is just too bad that you felt violated by their profiling and the nature of their questions.

Did they ask if you were a terrorist? I would have!

Posted by: Hazmat77 | November 26, 2010 9:37 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: spamagnet98
"I'm all for profiling. That way we won't be strip searching toddlers or groping grandmas. Maybe TSA could then concentrate on young, cash-paying, no-luggage-checking, Sudan-camp-visiting, Middle Eastern men -- just like the underwear bomber, the shoe bomber, the 19 9/11 perpetrators and the
Times Square bomber."

Hee hee the shoe bomber and underwear bomber both got planes in foreign countries, no TSA there.

Humm ... Times Square bomber was he on a plane?? TSA does not patrol Times Square and the 9-11 perpetrators ... 9-11 would not have happened if cheney/bush had read their presidential daily briefings and acted on them.

Posted by: knjincvc | November 26, 2010 12:01 PM | Report abuse

So, when the bomb goes off on this side of the airport screening stations, do we keep moving the 'screening' out, so that, maybe, the scanners/frisking takes place at our front doors, as we leave our houses (which will already have been searched)?

Posted by: MikeMcLamara | November 26, 2010 12:30 PM | Report abuse

"If America were surrounded by Islamic states then our airport security would be very similar to Israel's."

Our airports are surrounded by Islamic airports. We are talking about a weapon that travels by air. Get it?

Posted by: fzdybel | November 26, 2010 5:23 PM | Report abuse

"I suspect the real reason for the outrage over body scanners and pat-downs is that the majority of Americans are finally experiencing the kind of discomfiting scrutiny that has long been routine for those who are repeatedly profiled and humiliated. As long as it was someone else, it didn't matter."

BINGO

Posted by: duhneese | November 26, 2010 6:37 PM | Report abuse

America should have followed Israelis advice and there would not have been the disaster of nine eleven. There were no sky marshals on the planes of 9/11. not one. We had a Sky Marshal program started by Ronald Reagan and almost killed by Clinton. Bush was in office for only 8 months or so when this horrific event occurred.

Israelis talk to the passengers and profile. We should not have to search Hillary Clinton but if she ever flies commercial again she will be searched. News anchors get searched and screened as well. Pilots can fly the plane, have a gun but have to be searched and screened every day.

israelis have not had an incident on their planes for forty years.

What about our train system?

Posted by: LETFREEDOMRING2 | November 27, 2010 7:15 AM | Report abuse

israelis have not had an incident on their planes for forty years.

What about our train system?

Posted by: LETFREEDOMRING2 | November 27, 2010 7:16 AM | Report abuse

You have lost war with terror at the airports! You come to the airport at three o'clock to a departure, can't take a bottle of milk for the child, run barefoot. It is a victory of terrorists!
Instead of directly telling that suspicious passengers and passengers from the Muslim countries can be exposed to a search, that only they can't carry by a liquid aboard, that they will be interrogated and scanned. While you will think more of political correctness and less about safety, terrorists will win.

Posted by: MichaelfromIsrael | November 27, 2010 9:52 AM | Report abuse

"On airport security, do we really want to be like Israel?"

-------------------------------------
Joel, you mean do we want to have no terrorist flying airliners into buildings and terrorists detected before they get on planes?

Well, yes. Don't you?

Posted by: illogicbuster | November 27, 2010 11:06 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: obeeone: "Israel is not the only country with a good safety record, many many nations have even better records with much better systems in place."
-----------------------------------------
Okay, name one that has as much terrorism aimed at it that have better records with better systems. If you can't then, you are intentionally lying and I suspect, a librul.

Posted by: illogicbuster | November 27, 2010 11:09 AM | Report abuse

The reality of the Israeli security system may be unpleasant, but it does deal with reality. Unlike the mindless American system where random passengers, including three-year-old girls, are selected for pat down. There are lots of people in America who want us to believe that terror occurs randomly among the population. They are not dealing with reality.

Posted by: adlibn | November 27, 2010 11:19 AM | Report abuse

Why is it I get more information sooner from the British Newspapers? Here is an excerpt from the Daily Mail. It might show up in the Post in a week or so on the back pages.

Her email added: 'Because of my flannel panty-liner. These new scans are so horrible that if you are wearing something unusual (like a piece of cloth on your panties) then you will be subjected to a search where a woman repeatedly has to check your 'groin' while another woman watches on (two in my case – they were training in a new girl – awesome)'.
Doctors are also now questioning the hygiene of TSA agents who conduct hundreds of pat downs daily.
Although they wear gloves, it is being reported that viruses like syphilis, lice, gonorrhea, chlamydia, strep and papilloma viruses can be transferred from passenger to passenger during the body searches.
Alarmed travellers have noted that the TSA agents do not change gloves in between pat downs and were actually patting down dozens of passengers or more wearing the same gloves.
The TSA nor federal agencies such as the Centers for Disease Control have yet commented on the possibility that infections and other afflictions could be spread.
Dr Thomas Warner from Wisconsin told WND: 'There is no doubt that bacteria (staph, strep, v.cholerae etc.) and viruses (noro, enteroviruses, herpes, hepatitis A and papilloma viruses) can be spread by contaminated vinyl or latex gloves'.
'If a traveller has diarrhea and is soiled, as can and does happen, the causative agent can be spread by this method since bacteria and viruses in moist environments have greater viability', he added.
'The traveler readjusting clothes can easily get the infectious agents on their hands and therefore into their mouth, nose and eyes.'
'How come if we as doctors have guidelines, we must wear gloves and have oversight, it's very different [for the TSA]'.
Dr Warner said that at the very minimum, gloves should be changed between patdowns, 'especially if the gloved hand is inside clothes or in the genital area... even if clothed. Travelers should be advised of this and hand-wash and change clothes ASAP after these intimate examinations.'
The CDC have said that passengers should request the TSA agent use fresh gloves before conducting their body search.
'If you are traveling and are going to be searched, you can request that the TSA agent change his or her gloves,' their statement read.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1333432/Humiliated-Female-passenger-subjected-patdown-sanitary-towel-showed-body-scanner.html#ixzz16VD3gzxh

Posted by: gfhoward258 | November 27, 2010 12:06 PM | Report abuse

Until we all can say, without equivocation who is our enemy and who wants to kill and destroy us, we are like sitting ducks.

And they will continue to bleed us to death with a thousand cuts, aimed at destroying our personal liberties and giving them the victory they are so determined to achieve.

Who is `they?'

If you can't put your lips together and say exactly who `they are,' then get ready to put your lips together like the Liberals you are and plant them on the posteriors of these Medieval barbarians.

And that includes our daffy `President.'

Posted by: AlongTheWatchTowers | November 27, 2010 12:19 PM | Report abuse

As an Israeli, with a son in the army and having served with the police I have been stopped also. And guess what, every time I was stopped there was a logical reason that had nothing to do with my race, religion or nationality.

Something did not fit and the bright kids who man the stations saw what it was (as I did also, after the fact).

If the author favors 8 and 80 year olds with no suspicious backgrounds being fondled or subject to a too revealing check--good for him. I would rather that intelligence prevails as it does in Tel Aviv. And since he did not have to complete the check, since he is a journalist, I do not understand his beef. Other than the conventional, "If Israel does it, it must be wrong."

Posted by: Steve3970 | November 27, 2010 1:10 PM | Report abuse

Profiling works, idiots they depend on xray machines and metal detectors only doesnt.

Posted by: nuke41 | November 27, 2010 1:24 PM | Report abuse

"I knew I was in for an unpleasant time when the young security man looked at my U.S. passport, looked me up and down and asked, "What kind of name is Dreyfuss?" "Jewish," I told him, "one of the most famous Jewish names in the world." I was somewhat shocked that he didn't know. What were they teaching kids in Israel these days?"

Hmmmm...did it occur to you that maybe he was checking to see if YOU knew "what kind of name is Dreyfuss??" Hmmmm? Like, maybe he wanted to see if you were an imposter? Someone who should have known his own name's origin, but didn't??? Like maybe that was a deliberate security check on his part??

Hmmmmm?

Posted by: adturnbull | November 27, 2010 5:12 PM | Report abuse

Gee Joel,

We certainly don't want your feelings to be hurt, do we? What a tragedy that would truly be.

Profiling works...get over it.

Posted by: churchill99 | November 27, 2010 6:34 PM | Report abuse

Yes .... profiling works. Yes, this author was delayed longer than some others in the 'short line'. So what? And ... instead of ridiculing the security in Israel and the need for guards at all public places, one should realize the sad necessity of this. I visit Israel as often as I can - both to support it and also because it is a safe place to visit! If I have to wait in line, then so be it. It is still not as long as I wait in line to get into the US - and, I do not complain about those lines either.

Posted by: henryw1 | November 27, 2010 6:44 PM | Report abuse

You stood in a long line? They asked you some questions? That's all you got? Boo hoo hoo. I was hoping to get some insightful new information that would show me something to change my mind. But this ain't it.

Yes, this is preferable to anything the TSA is doing -- and I'll guarantee you the profiled line in the US will be a lot shorter.

Posted by: Chuckie3 | November 27, 2010 8:51 PM | Report abuse

Two issues. 1) Israel does have a very small number of airport travelers compared to the US but the number of Israeli screeners is minuscule to the number of TSA employees; and 2), Israelis focus on those who are suspicious in some manner, not treating everyone alike, regardless of cause. Yes, they do profile passengers ... just like anyone with common sense would do.

Posted by: usr105 | November 28, 2010 5:23 PM | Report abuse

The article is not only puerile but ignorant; most countries outside the USA apply such profiling, because they have no choice. Travel to India, Japan, or France if you have any doubts.

Dreyfuss is also ludicrously self-centred; he would prefer people to lose their lives rather than have his pride hurt for a few minutes.

Obeeone's 1:09PM post should be removed, on two grounds:
1. Though I'm a liberal, it should be clear that applying "Nazi" to Savage, Coulter, Limbaugh, or Malkin is unacceptable and should not be tolerated on any mainstream site.
2. Writing "Michael Weiner Savage" makes me suspect the poster an outright anti-Semite.

Posted by: SomeCommonSense | November 28, 2010 9:18 PM | Report abuse

This was a vapid article with juvenile comments. If I went to, say, India, which I have done, and white males were running a terrorist campaign, I would expect to be profiled, inconvenienced and even jailed; I would mind, but realize it was probably necessary. I was profiled once in a Spanish Caribbean island as a drug dealer, spent a full day in detention while different people questioned me. I was unable to do the (legitimate) business I was supposed to do, as they refused entry and sent me back to San Juan on a red ticket. I would hope a screener in this country could tell a Haitian or black American from an Arab, but the alternative which the author seems to insist upon is that every single person get exactly the same treatment. Oops, that was juvenile, wasn't it?

Posted by: steveinnj | November 29, 2010 1:01 AM | Report abuse

My first body search and interrogation while traveling was in 1973 in Tel Aviv airport as I was leaving to return to Athens, Greece. By two fully armed, uniformed female sabras. The Middle East was tense then also. One might make a self centered narcissistic case about "why ME?",boo-hoo, but for god's sake, over a dozen of their countrymen had just been gunned down by Palestinian terrorists in the Athen's Hellenikon airport lounge. Anyone coming and going to Israel from Greece at that time was automatically suspect. Why not?
I don't agree with a lot of actions Israel takes,but they know about terrorists and effective surveillance.

Posted by: Wash3 | November 29, 2010 8:53 AM | Report abuse

Theorist threat?

Posted by: scoran | November 29, 2010 8:53 AM | Report abuse

Mr. Dreyfuss is just showing his contempt for the citizens of the United States. It's still amazes me that there are people like Michelle Obama and Mr. Dreyfuss who never see what's great about America. He calls a groping a pat down, and then has the gall to say we're just experiencing a form of harassment that others have received while we stood by and ignored it. Michelle Obama and Mr. Dreyfuss are just overwhelmed by their experience living on the big blue marble, and can't see what's good about it. What a shame it is to live like that.

Posted by: Jack83 | November 29, 2010 11:04 AM | Report abuse

I was wondering, according to the figures that were touted in the article. According to Isralei sources, in 2009 Ben Gurion International had over 11 million passengers (international and domestic). If there were only 50 flights per day from Ben Gurion and assuming that flights are conducted 365 days a year, that would be over 600 persons per flight. The largest 747 variant can only carry 524 passengers, so there must be more than 50 flights per day. The listed number is over 259 flights per day, small beans compared to Atlanta or Chicago (over 1200 each), but still a respectable number. As to profiling, it may be odious in this country, but I would point to the success in a country where terrorism is not a remote occasional idea but a real daily threat.

Posted by: ChrisJ_AZ | November 29, 2010 12:11 PM | Report abuse

What Nevada said, about being, bluntly, sexually assaulted by TSA agents, presumably male ones. Can anyone back this up? And where the h**k are the female TSA agents when you need them?

Posted by: cmarshdtihqcom | November 29, 2010 1:35 PM | Report abuse

I'm a guy, and fat and ugly and 40 at that. Can't say I've been in her predicament.

"Your body mass index is now 41."
"Well at least it keeps me safe in the TSA line."

Posted by: cmarshdtihqcom | November 29, 2010 1:38 PM | Report abuse

How about some professionals in the TSA ranks? Like those who can control themselves around women? Or those who have any or whatever.

That said maybe profiling isn't such a bad idea. Except that if Al Qaeda is smart they will get their European volunteers out on us.

Posted by: cmarshdtihqcom | November 29, 2010 1:48 PM | Report abuse

Read The War Against the Terrorists: How to Win It by Gayle Rivers. Taking the fight to the terrorists is strongly recommended. Though it probably requires humint (human intelligence) and infiltration we might not have. Shoot them all (even the cook, yep he said that), take crucial intelligence, and get out fast. Very highly trained commandos and not too many needed (a thousand), does resemble Afghanistan a little.

I don't think scanning everybody would have been recommended.

See also The Specialist by the same author.

Posted by: cmarshdtihqcom | November 29, 2010 1:54 PM | Report abuse

Mr. Dreyfuss I have traveled to Israel more recently than 5 years ago. If there were to be a sabotage on the airplane I would not have had options. I am therefore grateful for talent, professionalism, and skill that the security people were trained to. So was Yemenite I was traveling with.

On the other hand you have options. You can change your name and forgive your grandfather. Please remember if you respect your talents some of it was probably genetic.

However, I am amazed that you would rather be PC than life saving, that is not genetic, ask an Israeli doctor.

Posted by: izzyis1 | November 29, 2010 5:43 PM | Report abuse

It probably would be wise to be careful what you wish for.

As bad as I find this video (and yes it is safe for work), I still do not like nor do I agree with the TSA screeners. If they used the scanners and pat downs INTELLIGENTLY as a secondary screening for those who give off "red flags" then okay. But I will never ever be okay with harassing travelers for no reason. Do you not notice if you say nothing they keep advancing? Where do you draw the line? Where? I say no more. I would rather take my chances and die FREE than live like this. The government is NOT my provider. It is NOT my PROTECTOR. It is NOT my savior. Stay out of my face, and out of my junk. w-

Posted by: eticketride | November 29, 2010 7:32 PM | Report abuse

On airport security, do we want to be like Israel ?

No. Make that we do not want to be like a murderous US aid guzzling occupying power founded on mass ethnic cleansing with a sickening human rights record in ANY respect.

Posted by: suhail_shafi | November 29, 2010 9:36 PM | Report abuse