Posted at 8:40 AM ET, 11/23/2010

Will Palin Power triumph?

By Edward Schumacher-Matos

Will America come to its senses? The nation's future is at stake, and yet the country insists on voting for Palin. Not Sarah. Bristol. In "Dancing With the Stars." But if the voting of these past several months is any indication of Palin Power, Sarah is a shoo-in for whatever she is running for, too.

You can turn your nose up at TV spectacle, but I love dance. Okay, I'm Latin, but surely the ability to get a groove on reflects the state of a nation at least as much as nuclear deterrent policy. So for me it has been disillusioning to see how week after week Bristol Palin has defied the votes of the judges (read: Washington policy wonks) to be passed on to the next round by the voting public.

By Monday night, Bristol was in the finals, which will finish Tuesday. The two other contestants are a charismatic young black man (sound familiar?) named Kyle Massey and Jennifer Grey, star of the 1987 classic film, "Dirty Dancing." (How can you not get goosebumps watching Gray and Patrick Swayze bump and grind to Time of My Life? The climax is her daredevil jump and lift by him before her awe-struck parents. American grit and true family values. See what I mean about dancing?)

Anyway, young Palin's mother has been in the studio audience for her daughter, too. Let's not be catty about the free publicity of being on a show that may have the largest viewership of anything on television this week. The Palins have their own sense of family values.

The bigger problem for me is this: Bristol can't dance.

No, that's not journalistically fair. After many weeks of training by her brave partner, Mark Ballas, Bristol, who has little sense of rhythm, suddenly showed a flash of fun and movement in a jive number Monday night. But then in a rendition of He Had It Comin' from "Chicago," she reverted to her largely flat, heavy-legged form.

The judges were kind and gave her a total score of 52, putting her third behind Massey's 56 and Grey's perfect 60. But no matter. The judges' votes count for only half the final score. Public phone-in votes count for the other half, and it seems that many of Mama Grizzly's political fans like dance, too. Young Palin has almost always been near the bottom of the judge's rankings each week, but the public votes strongly for her. Who knew that Tea Partyers were into ballroom partying, too?

By all rights, Grey should win. I guess that makes her the Hillary character in this cliffhanger. Grey should even get the sympathy vote. No, not because of a man or a nose job nearly 20 years ago that threw her career off track. Rather, before attempting a comeback on the dance show, she had a cancerous tumor removed from her thyroid and a titanium plate put in her neck to correct a spinal injury from a terrible 1987 car accident. Even more importantly, with her partner Derek Hough, she absolutely nailed a paso doble from "Carmen" and was electrifying again in freestyling to the Contours' Do You Love Me (Now that I Can Dance), from, yes, "Dirty Dancing."

Oh, Baby, we do love you. (Wikepedia Jennifer Grey if you don't get the reference.)

But back to the political play. If Grey wins, should we prepare for Hillary in 2012?

By Edward Schumacher-Matos  | November 23, 2010; 8:40 AM ET
Categories:  Schumacher-Matos  | Tags:  Edward Schumacher-Matos
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: The politics of cell phones
Next: Wanted: GOP votes for repeal of don't ask don't tell

Comments

"Will America come to its senses? The nation's future is at stake, and yet the country insists on voting for Palin. Not Sarah...."
__________________________
I think you can take your own advise. Why is DWTS even an issue when were being taken over by National Socialists?

Posted by: ssol4569 | November 23, 2010 10:36 AM | Report abuse

The dream finale of DWTS: Bristol and her partmer come out dressed as Beauty and the Beast. They dance magically, better than at any other time. As they finish, the crowd explodes in applause. They are announced as the winner, and as the guy goes up to interview them, her partner removes his mask. OH MY GOD! IT'S LEVI JOHNSTON! He drops to a knee and proposes. Bristol, breathless, accepts!

Posted by: baldinho | November 23, 2010 11:12 AM | Report abuse

The high school dropout is winning because Conservatives only demand moral purity from others, while they have no qualms about cheating and dishonesty in their own ranks.
As usual.
It’s not that complex.

Posted by: DAMNEDGENTLEMEN | November 23, 2010 12:51 PM | Report abuse

You go girl.

Posted by: farmsnorton | November 23, 2010 1:02 PM | Report abuse

I think if you let people decide the outcome of contests, then most will vote for the individual that they relate to the best. I think they call that Democracy.

Posted by: tonyspdx | November 23, 2010 1:02 PM | Report abuse

"Why is DWTS even an issue when were being taken over by National Socialists?"
___________________________________

True. As the National Socialists are taking over, why are they wasting their time voting for Bristol Palin? We have continents to conquer and billions of people to convert or 'eliminate' before the rapture, after all.

Posted by: Martel1 | November 23, 2010 1:11 PM | Report abuse

It is ironic that the same folks who supported (or did not object to) the Nobel Peace Prize going to Barack Obama would find it objectionable that someone was "unfairly" given something they didn't deserve.

At least Bristol has done SOMETHING to warrant voting in her favor, where BHO had done absolutely nothing to warrant the Peace Prize, other than not be George W. Bush.

Posted by: WDOR | November 23, 2010 1:12 PM | Report abuse

I hope Ms. Palin wins, as all the Libtards heads will then explode. Priceless.

Posted by: jjlj | November 23, 2010 1:19 PM | Report abuse

I remember people doing exhibition dancing on Lawrence Welk. I didn't like it then, and my tastes have not changed.

Making DWTS as an audience-participation popularity contest, masquerading as a talent show, has not improved the breed.

Posted by: OldUncleTom | November 23, 2010 1:39 PM | Report abuse

It's certainly true that Bristol Palin is much less physically fit than the other two finalists, and that indeed hurts her dancing. However, speaking as a former ballroom competitor and coach, I can say that her basic technique is more correct than the others - Jennifer Grey misses heel leads and pops up on the rise; Palin's footwork is clean.

Of course the reason Palin even made the final wasn't because of any differences in dancing, but because the Palin name is so much better known than the others. Don't expect to see Grey or Massey being discussed with regard to a presidential candidacy any time soon.

Posted by: WarrenDew | November 23, 2010 2:08 PM | Report abuse

The term is "shoo-in". It has nothing to do with footwear.

Posted by: beany_kelly | November 23, 2010 2:12 PM | Report abuse

Too bad Hillary didn't win the primaries. She would never have let the Repubs walk all over her like Obama did. Regardless, Obama/Clinton is immensely better than McCain/Half-Guv. Lord know what a mess that doddering old fool would have us in by now! With the Twitterin' Twit beside him winking at us all the time.

Posted by: osmor | November 23, 2010 2:14 PM | Report abuse

of course i would never watch this travesty ever again after brandy was released, how ironic the best dancer usurped by the heavy leg, no rhythm two left feet unwed teenage mama.
this show is rigged, if there is ever a doubt listen to the scores the "judges" give to this no talent, no personality teabagger.
just pray the illegitimate grandmamma stays in the wilds where she belongs.

Posted by: ninnafaye | November 23, 2010 2:22 PM | Report abuse

"The term is "shoo-in". It has nothing to do with footwear.

Posted by: beany_kelly | November 23, 2010 2:12 PM | Report abuse"

It was a joke, son. Dancing shoes.

Posted by: Observer691 | November 23, 2010 2:31 PM | Report abuse

I'm not a fan of any of the Palins, but Bristol seems like a nice girl who has worked her butt off to try to improve during this competition. The author's criticism of her having little sense of rhythm is unfair and inaccurate in my opinion, especially considering how much she's improved over the course of the series.

Sure, does she deserve to win it all? Definitely not. Should she be in the finals? No. Is she better than Brandy? Doubtful. (Let's not forget Brandy was awful in the early rounds as well.) Was Bristol better than Henderson, Warner, Fox, Cho and The Situation? Absolutely!

So let's cut the kid some slack. She's come a long way over the past few weeks.

Posted by: RambleOn | November 23, 2010 2:33 PM | Report abuse

Where was all the outcry when Emmitt Smith won? He clearly was not the best dancer by any stretch. Palin is better than he was by a mile.

Posted by: debmries | November 23, 2010 2:33 PM | Report abuse

It was a joke, son. Dancing shoes.

Posted by: Observer691 | November 23, 2010 2:31 PM

I suppose that's possible. I see it misused so often -- like "towing the line" -- I thought I should say something (especially since it shows up on the front page of the site).

Posted by: beany_kelly | November 23, 2010 2:38 PM | Report abuse

Warren Dew couldn't tell a ballroom dancer from a barfly.

Posted by: renegade2 | November 23, 2010 2:40 PM | Report abuse

__________________________

Posted by: ssol4569
==================================
We already have...
You voted for Bush Twice

Last two years have been fighting you back..

Just remember we hvae our 2nd Amendment Rights too.

ISA

Posted by: vettesport | November 23, 2010 2:43 PM | Report abuse

I seem to remember a no talent (other than speaking)and a no practical experience senator got elected President by POPULAR vote.......hmmmmm. Had America relied on qualified judges to determine the Presidency, we would have Pres. Romney (someone who actually has a clue at running something). Just because someone is popular doesn't mean they should win...but in a republic, sometimes that's what happens!

Posted by: 17Wolf359 | November 23, 2010 2:46 PM | Report abuse

I understand Bristol and her partner will be doing the Macarena on the next DWTS. They want to prove to people that their ratings have nothing to do with their ability.

Posted by: kengelhart | November 23, 2010 3:13 PM | Report abuse

"Just like the liberal media to turn this into something politcal in order to take the focus off themselves! Just in case nobody noticed, IT'S A POPULARITY CONTEST! If it were a talent contest, the judges would have eliminated her a long time ago."

I've never watched the show, will never watch the show and I'm embarrassed for our country that this program has the number of people watching it that it does, representing, I'm sure, either side of the politcal aisle.

Though, one good thing that I have gathered from this, is my newest name for a rock band, called: "Offending The Palin Demographic"

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | November 23, 2010 3:16 PM | Report abuse

Dear JohnDinHouston: "Oh, as IF! Which political reporters have you seen reporting on this subject? Do tell! Grow up and stop blaming the media for everything." OK, I watched CNN (short for Communist News Network) dedicate a half hour to this "story" a couple of days ago. I think the Huffington Post started this whole debate, another very left leaning, liberal media orginization. I could probably go on, but I need to grow up....I guess in liberal speak that means drink the Kool Aide, shut up and do whatever I am told to do.....

I don't ascribe to any political party because I like my freedom to choose. Unlike you, who blindly will follow President Obama into financial oblivion, I choose not to.

Posted by: 17Wolf359 | November 23, 2010 3:32 PM | Report abuse

Check me out on TLC's new show, "Sarah Palin's An A s s H a t!" I'm the one in the poopy-diaper being held in the arm of the r e t a r d!

Posted by: TrigPalin | November 23, 2010 3:37 PM | Report abuse

Edward:

I am committed to raising $2 million dollars for Governor Sarah Palin's run for the presidency. I will wear out shoe-leather and my ear/voice talking to voters on her behalf, heck, I'm even thinking of moving to Iowa! There are MILLIONS more like me. Get used to saying "President Palin" buddy.

Posted by: sandbear | November 23, 2010 3:41 PM | Report abuse

Don't contestants normally LOSE weight during the DWTS competition? It seems like Palin has GAINED the equivalent of another person.

Posted by: JimZ1 | November 23, 2010 4:01 PM | Report abuse

This evening Palin will perform to her rendition of "Call me Irresponsible".

Posted by: whocares666 | November 23, 2010 4:19 PM | Report abuse

Why would everyone not want the dancing pig to win? Train wrecks are always popular.

Posted by: Martel1 | November 23, 2010 5:12 PM | Report abuse

I'm getting the distinct feeling that the MSM is saying "pay no attention to the man behind the curtain" with their reporting of rubbish stories like this.

Posted by: thebink | November 23, 2010 5:36 PM | Report abuse

to E. S-M; ALL,

what could be better than that Bristol Palin be in the finals of DWTS? - after all it allows all the hate-FILLED, ignorant, arrogantly stupid, SELF-important, sanctamonious, HALF-educated, nearly illiterate, DIMocRATS/"progressives"/LIBs on "PP" to demonstate, to everyone here, just how DISGUSTING & PREJUDICED that they all are.

the more i learn about DIMocRATS & "progressives", the better i like mice, venomous spiders, poisonous snakes & slugs.

to my DIMocRAT "readers": IF Bristol Palin was BHO's daughter, all of you DIMocRAT/LIB haters would be telling everyone (who would willingly listen to your arrogant foolishness) just how "wunnerful, wunnerful & marvlous" a dancer that she is. = all of you DIMs make me GAG!

yours, TN46
coordinator, CCTPP

Posted by: texasnative46 | November 23, 2010 5:54 PM | Report abuse

sandbear:

Sorry to burst your balloon, but it ain't going to happen...Americans are way too smart and way too perceptive to choose such a singularly nasty, stupid, unattractive, divisive, inarticulate mess as Sarah Palin. The only talents this woman possesses are eye rolling, winking and seeing Russia from her front porch.

Posted by: sickofpalin | November 23, 2010 5:54 PM | Report abuse

It would have been nice if Shara Palin had come out and asked people not to attempt to cheat for her daughter. Actually it is the minimum expected of a potential leader.

I would have supported the best dancer period, the same way I support the best singer on American Idol, despite the fact that seriously less talented singer has won in the final round the last two times. It would be unbelievably inappropriate for the President's daughter to be on DWTS, as it is wrong for Bristol to be there. Reality TV is a national shame as it is.

Posted by: Muddy_Buddy_2000 | November 23, 2010 6:11 PM | Report abuse

If DWTS lets Ms. Palin win, the show is done.

Posted by: BBear1 | November 23, 2010 6:13 PM | Report abuse

Most political voting, the 60-80% which is Republican or Democratic biased is done on the issues the parties support at least in general. I supported Senator Obama because his politics aligned with mine. MS Palin wants to do very bad things to the country, so even if she was an idiot, then I would not support her. If the Republicans as sane and elect Mr Romney, then if he governs like he did for the first few years in MA, then it will not be that bad. A good pro choice Republican with strong support for the Health Care Plan (its basically his invention away) would be a good thing for America in many ways.

Posted by: Muddy_Buddy_2000 | November 23, 2010 6:16 PM | Report abuse

Silly DimWiTS: You could have been watching a good show, like "Chuck."

Posted by: mattintx | November 23, 2010 6:26 PM | Report abuse

Thankfully, the little piglet will be unemployed next week. Maybe she will remember that she's got a son to pretend she's taking care of, waiting for her to return to Alaska. Let us all hope that she retires from 'show business'............

Posted by: momof20yo | November 23, 2010 6:55 PM | Report abuse

The only person who makes any sense at all is the guy who blew out his TV with a shotgun: "I hate politics and she can't dance" says it all.

Posted by: fmjk | November 23, 2010 9:00 PM | Report abuse

I'll stipulate that I haven't seen Bristol Palin dance, but my educated guess is that she is (with plenty of practice and encouragement) a competent dancer. I am surprised that she hasn't been eliminated so far, but I'll just chalk that up to bias - I don't think, with her background, she is anywhere near a professional dancer but, again, this is personal bias.

I do tend to think that her mother has a lot to do with her success thus far.

Posted by: MidwaySailor76 | November 23, 2010 9:18 PM | Report abuse

__________________________

Posted by: ssol4569
==========================
"National Socialists"? LOL Obama wants to provide health care to 15 million Americans and he's a Nazi. You right wingers are a hoot. Don't worry - the scary Black Man will be gone soon.

Posted by: MidwaySailor76 | November 23, 2010 9:23 PM | Report abuse

to E. S-M; ALL,

yours, TN46
coordinator, CCTPP

Posted by: texasnative46
=========================
"texasnative" - Why does this not surprise me?

Posted by: MidwaySailor76 | November 23, 2010 9:30 PM | Report abuse

Palin may indeed be a future president. The country will be the poorer for it if that should happen.

And it isn't that the woman is stupid - far from it. But she is willfully ignorant of world affairs and, worse yet, is proud of it.

She would need to read a library shelf of books to prepare for the highest office in the land, and, to date, she has shown little inclination to do so, focusing instead on her media career and a way to make money.

Posted by: MidwaySailor76 | November 23, 2010 9:46 PM | Report abuse

God willing.....NO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: lindarc | November 23, 2010 11:33 PM | Report abuse

yours, TN46
coordinator, CCTPP

Posted by: texasnative46

--------------------------------

BHO's daughters wouldn't be caught dead on DWTS nor be teenage unwed mothers. Way too much class for that. They are too busy getting an education so they can make a contribution for the good of all society in their adult years.

Posted by: deltadelta | November 23, 2010 11:41 PM | Report abuse

The {alin women always blames every negative on others.....Bristol can't dance and that the truth....The Palin women are BORING, DRY, WITLESS and very much stupid....and EXTREMELY BORING....

Posted by: lindarc | November 23, 2010 11:42 PM | Report abuse

Some people are entertained by Palin's performance but this will last for a limited period because no one has infinite patience or enthusiasm for her narcism not even her gun-totin' Dude husband.

After a while, even her most generous enthusiasts, will say: 'Enough is enough'.

I betcha that I'm right. Gotcha. Getcha. Gitcha. Gutcha.

Posted by: robertjames1 | November 24, 2010 12:55 AM | Report abuse

The Palin family keeps making me think of Archie and Edith; I think there is a lot of wishing for the past on the part of many people driving the Palin popularity. Back when it was O.K. to be barely educated with a high school diploma for all a new goal and few aspiring to college, back when bigotry was the norm and you didn't have to cope with anybody who wasn't just like you. I think this is the last gasp of the past.

Posted by: withersb | November 24, 2010 7:43 AM | Report abuse

By God I hope Mama Palin is elected President! She is truly what this country deserves!

IDIOCRACY! (Now that was one a prophetic movie.)

Vote: Palin/O'Donnell 2012!

Posted by: kparc1212 | November 24, 2010 7:44 AM | Report abuse

that is one thick broad

Posted by: funkey | November 24, 2010 8:36 AM | Report abuse

There must be something really wrong with me. I simply can't get into the idea that watching B and C-list celebrities dance badly is entertainment.

Posted by: tunkefer | November 24, 2010 8:41 AM | Report abuse

If I want to watch dancing, I'll put in a DVD of a Fred Astaire movie. DWTS is a joke to sell stuff do one needs.

Posted by: akyngcls | November 24, 2010 9:04 AM | Report abuse

If Palin power does triumph it certainly won't be from my vote.

Posted by: cbyebyefraser | November 24, 2010 10:01 AM | Report abuse

deltadelta; all,

to "dd": what part of "IF", in my post, did you NOT understand?
fyi, what i posted about the vast majority of DIMocRATS/leftists/"progressives" on "PP" is TRUE.= they are arrogant, haughty, (at best) "semi-literate", HALF-educated, ignorant, blinded by their inbred prejudices & "not overloaded with gray matter". other than that, they are really great examples of "our betters" & "the smart set".
fyi, the ONLY good members of BHOs clan are the two girls. - just seeing/hearing their father on radio/TV makes me GAG!

to all: IF you are as disgusted as our members are, about the mess that the DIMocRAT lunatics have made of our republic, join your local TEA PARTY group & help us return our country to CONSTITUTIONAL principles. you will be warmly welcomed & quickly "put to work" to help us take our nation back.

yours, TN46
coordinator, CCTPP

Posted by: texasnative46 | November 24, 2010 1:23 PM | Report abuse

This reader believes the current Sarah Palin popularity rating is supported by Americans who are not seeing the true reality of the political process being used and played by Sarah Palin and other GOP political candidates.
Sarah Palin is very good at telling the voters what they wish to hear.
Sarah Palin is very poor at providing information to the voter of which will let them know what they truthfully can expect to see should they vote for Sarah Palin and or any one of those political candidates who she supports.
She is just another word twisting machine that creates more questions, rather than provides answers.

Posted by: jtynoble | November 24, 2010 1:43 PM | Report abuse

OMG, texasnative46, your trailer trash rhetoric is awe inspiring and certainly shows your superior intellect and exceptional contemplative wisdom....and you're right on with support for your poster girl with the bug eyes and the shrill voice who can see Russia from her front porch, likes to shoot unarmed wolves from a helicopter and encourages Americans to "support our NORTH Korean allies" which, of course, shows off her brilliant command of international politics, her outstanding problem solving ability and her superlative leadership qualifications.

Your respect for the office of the presidency of the United States of America (of which I assume you are a citizen?...or...?) is awe inspiring...you possess just the kind of articulated dignity and grace we like to teach our children.

Oh & BTW...President Barack Obama has more "gray matter" (as you so elegantly put it)in his little finger than you and all your tea party bigot-buddies collectively could ever hope for, much less exhibit.

Posted by: sickofpalin | November 26, 2010 6:18 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: sickofpalin | November 26, 2010 6:19 PM | Report abuse

Politically speaking, Palin’s ideas are dead on with the majority of Americans which explains the support for her daughter. But how did a man past retirement age and a woman ever get nominated for the Republican ticket. I am not saying there is anything wrong with a women, it’s just that there are too many sex discriminating voters. The ticket seems like someone wanted conservative philosophy to lose, as well as, someone really wanted a black man to be president. It seems that someone wants a woman to be president. It could be from either party.

Posted by: george70 | November 27, 2010 10:14 PM | Report abuse

sickofpalin,

on your best day you are not as educated/intelligent/knowledgeable as the LEAST of the members of the CCTPP.
(fyi, we are a small county's TP group, so you're not up against a huge sample of citizens.)

what you are is self-important, arrogant, hate-FILLED & prejudiced.
(btw, in which academic discipline is your earned doctorate? - you know the advanced degree that you do NOT have.)

yours, TN46