Posted at 4:15 PM ET, 12/ 6/2010

Ginni Thomas: my bad -- probably

By Jonathan Capehart

We interrupt my reporting and writing about the ongoing effort to get the Senate to do its job and repeal don't ask don't tell to bring this news flash from Gini Thomas. In an interview with the Daily Caller, the wife of Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas talks about her work with and her recent departure from the leadership of the Tea Party-affiliated group Liberty Central. But she also addressed her infamous and inexplicable call to Anita Hill.

"It was probably a mistake on my part."

Not probably. It was. Now how about "I'm sorry"?

By Jonathan Capehart  | December 6, 2010; 4:15 PM ET
Categories:  Capehart  | Tags:  Jonathan Capehart
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Obama, Republicans' ominous deal on Bush tax cuts
Next: Don't leave until don't ask don't tell is done

Comments

Come on Jon. Your prejudice is showing. Between Clarence and Anita we don't know for sure who is telling the truth. We do know that Gini is an innocent victim. Having worked in a couple of legal offices in the federal government one of where I was out numbered by females. One of my co-workers, a girlfriend, was pretty honest about how her good looks helped her in her career. She put up with stuff from leadership that I thought was a bit much, but then I was obviously prejudiced. I'm sure that there was sexual talk in the office with Anita. Whether it got out of hand or not -- who knows. I'm just saying that Anita has come out smelling like a rose. Publicity and renown from those who want to make her an unwilling victim. Also a professorship. The later alleged victim who has recently come forward apparently has a book. What a disgusting place D.C. is. Just don't kick Gini. O.K?

Posted by: Fergie303 | December 7, 2010 12:02 AM | Report abuse

But she also addressed her infamous and inexplicable call to Anita Hill.

"It was probably a mistake on my part."

Not probably. It was. Now how about "I'm sorry"?

-----------------------
I am afraid that Ginni Thomas is right and you are resorting to hysteria.

The call wasn't infamous. It was a mistake. And she made the call to Hill's OFFICE phone. So don't call the FBI just yet.

And when Thomas says that it was a mistake, she is indeed saying that she is sorry.

If you want her to go and lick Anita Hill's shoes, you will be waiting for a long time.

But meanwhile you will no doubt have ample opportunity for yet another of your hateful columns.

Look, people made mistakes. Ginni Thomas made a mistake making that call because she did not realize that she was giving ammunition to people like you.

All right, she loaded your gun and you have discharged it. Can we now talk about something more important, like

our exploding medical costs?

or our 1.42 trillion dollar budget deficit?

Posted by: rjpal | December 7, 2010 6:34 AM | Report abuse

Why have we lost the ability to accept apologies gracefully?

When someone says, "I made a mistake" we should say, "Thank you". END OF DISCUSSION.

No coming back with snide and hateful comments. Because snide and hateful comments like yours discourage people from even saying that they are sorry.

Why say that you are sorry or that you made a mistake if your only reward is going to be an insult?

What has happened to America? When did we become such a barbaric nation?

Posted by: rjpal | December 7, 2010 6:40 AM | Report abuse

rjpal & Fergi303: You're both wrong.

Ginni Thomas is despicable, and should explicitly issue an apology. What she said was an explanation, sort of, not an apology. She is sorry that she made a dumb, likely drunken mistake & got pilloried in the press, not for any pain she may have inflicted on Hill. There IS a difference.

Posted by: nyskinsdiehard | December 7, 2010 8:44 AM | Report abuse

rjpal aks:"Whay have we lost the ability to accept apologies gracefully?

Why is it that when Ginni Thomas says she made a mistake, Capehart, instead of gracefully accepting that she is saying she is sorry, comes back with snide and insulting comments?"

Aside from the fact that his comments were neither snide nor insulting, he obviously comprehends English much better than you do. She didn't say she was sorry; she didn't commit to having made a mistake. She qualified it with "probably." You know, on the order of being slightly pregnant.

An apology is pretty easy to recognize - "I made a mistake." "I'm sorry that I made the call; it was inappropriate." "It was probably a mistake on my part." says that she doesn't believe it, but is saying it for attribution, as in, "I really don't mean it, but I have to say it, since everyone expects it of me." Not very long on sincerity, so why should Capehart just accept it?

Posted by: jk5432 | December 7, 2010 8:48 AM | Report abuse

On intellect, Ginni Thomas ranks right down there with Sarah Palin. Speak first, thinks next week, then claim as your defense the self importance bestowed upon you by your husbands position in Government.

What a JERK!

Posted by: gthornton2 | December 7, 2010 9:49 AM | Report abuse

Commenters who say that Ms. Thomas apologized evidently don't understand the difference between "I made a mistake" and "It was probably a mistake". The word "probably" says it all her statement is NOT an apology.

Posted by: rlj1 | December 7, 2010 11:56 AM | Report abuse

I'm not entirely sure what she has to apologize for. What she did was foolish and even comic, and deeply embarassing to her husband, the conservative court, and the Supreme Court as a whole. I can imagine Anita Hill hearing this on the answering machine, a vague you-have-got-to-be-kidding-me smile on her face before forwarding it. Oh, and Roberts sidling up to Thomas as they wait at the elevators and saying, "You okay, Clarence? Everything under control? Let me know if you need anything."

Posted by: sonoratheatrewrx | December 7, 2010 12:43 PM | Report abuse

UP with Ginni Thomas. Down with Anita Hill, who tried to bring a good man down.

By the way, has the FIRST PHILANDERER, WJ ClINTON, ever apologized to any of his sexual harassment victims?

I thought not. But he's a liberal, so he does not have to.

UP with Ginni.

Posted by: profstewart | December 7, 2010 1:30 PM | Report abuse

Jonathan Capehart demands an 'I'm sorry' for every troublesome thing in life? "I'm sorry you're naive, Jonathan."

Posted by: striderrt | December 7, 2010 3:18 PM | Report abuse

ME THINKS I SMELL SOMETHING ODORIFEROUS..WHY WOULD MRS. THOMAS MAKE 'THAT' CALL YEARS LATER? THERE HAS TO BE A MOTIVE FOR HER ACTIONS..COULD IT BE THAT SHE MIGHT BELIEVE WHAT MS. HILL SAID IN TESTIMONY AND SHE 'PROBABLY' SHOULD APOLOGIZE..GO FIGURE.

Posted by: HAPYUGA | December 8, 2010 1:27 AM | Report abuse