Posted at 1:15 PM ET, 12/21/2010

Haley Barbour's race blinders

By Jonathan Capehart

Despite his just-released statement of contrition, Gov. Haley Barbour (R-Miss.) has a blind spot the size of the Confederate flag when it comes to race. I'm not saying that this son of the South is a racist. I am saying that, for the second time this year, Barbour has displayed a stunning lack of insight, knowledge or even sensitivity to the role race played and continues to play in his own backyard. Note that I said this year. Greg Sargent yesterday pointed to some of Barbour's race missteps from years past.

The first 2010 blunder came in April, after Gov. Bob McDonnell (R-Va.) got in trouble for his ill-considered "Confederate History Month" that conveniently ignored slavery. Asked about it on CNN, Barbour said, "To me, it's a sort of feeling that it's a nit that it is not significant, that is not, uh, that is trying to make a big deal out of something that doesn't amount to diddly."

This week, this focus is on his comments in an interview with the Weekly Standard.

Folks have jumped on this comment from Barbour about his thoughts on why his hometown of Yazoo City wasn't the site of school integration drama as in other places:

"Because the business community wouldn't stand for it," he said. "You heard of the Citizens Councils? Up north they think it was like the KKK. Where I come from it was an organization of town leaders. In Yazoo City they passed a resolution that said anybody who started a chapter of the Klan would get their ass run out of town. If you had a job, you'd lose it. If you had a store, they'd see nobody shopped there. We didn't have a problem with the Klan in Yazoo City."

Nevermind that those Citizens' Councils Barbour discusses were "the Klan in a white collar." Or that their members punished dissent in the school desegregation conversation by firing African Americans who signed a petition in support of integration in 1955.

Any sliver (and we're talking wafer thin here, people) of desire to give Barbour the benefit of the doubt goes out the window when he tells the Weekly Standard, "I just don't remember it as being that bad." It is the civil rights movement as experienced in Yazoo City.

As troubling as that comment is, I found his segregationist political lineage outlined in the Weekly Standard even more so.

The year 1965 was also a signal year in Barbour's political development. His older brother Jeppie came home from the Army and shocked the family by declaring himself a Goldwater Republican. As a politically well-connected family in Mississippi, Barbours had been bred to be Democrats since the Pleistocene Era. But there were subtleties and gradations. "We were Eastland Democrats," Haley told me, referring to James O. Eastland, the long-serving U.S. senator, steadfast conservative, committed segregationist, and the bane of the national party's left wing. As it happened, Barbour said, "our grandfather was Eastland's daddy's lawyer." The two families had long been close. ("Mississippi is more like a club than a state--everybody knows each other," Chuck Jordan said.) Coming out as a Republican, Haley said, "took a lot of guts on my brother's part."

No doubt that's true as a personal matter, but ideologically the leap from Eastland Democrat to Goldwater Republican was not death-defying. Haley followed, and so did other Barbours, including LeFlore, who bragged to her children that she had never voted for a Democrat for president, and never voted for anyone other than a Democrat for any lower office--a bipolarity typical of the Eastland Democrats. "She voted for Strom Thurmond in 1948," Barbour said. "She even voted for Willkie in 1944. There were three votes for Willkie in town, her and her mother and daddy. The way the town reacted, she said you would have thought Hitler got those three votes."

Barbour's spokesperson vigorously denied that his boss is a racist. But there's no denying that Barbour's presidential aspirations -- such as they were -- are probably toast. Which is fine by me. A man can't hope to be president of the United States when he couldn't care less about the shared history of more than 13 percent of its population.

By Jonathan Capehart  | December 21, 2010; 1:15 PM ET
Categories:  Capehart  | Tags:  Jonathan Capehart
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: The Dream Act joins a shameful tradition
Next: Mitch McConnell's failed bid to kill DADT repeal

Comments

MR. Barbour kinda looks like Rush Limbaugh - never a pork chop or donut he didn't like!

Posted by: fschenk | December 21, 2010 1:28 PM | Report abuse

Boss Hog for President! Yee haw!

Posted by: MikeV2 | December 21, 2010 1:29 PM | Report abuse

It's always about race with you, isn't it Jonathan. Are you ever going to grow beyond this self-destructive obsession, or will you forever see men in white sheets behind every tree until you draw your last breath?

Posted by: r_loveland | December 21, 2010 1:31 PM | Report abuse

"A man can't hope to be president of the United States when he couldn't care less about the shared history of more than 13 percent of its population." But it's Ok for a man to be President when he couldn't care less about the shared history of a majority of its population? You know, I asked my wife just the other night when she thought the main stream media would start their campaign to label Gov. Barbour as a racist, to head-off any potential presidential aspirations? Well, we didn't have to wait very long to find out when it would start.

Posted by: leevis | December 21, 2010 2:11 PM | Report abuse

why doesn't Hussein Obama have his kids in the black majority public schools.?

Posted by: WEDGEII | December 21, 2010 2:25 PM | Report abuse

Jimmy Carter did.

Posted by: WEDGEII | December 21, 2010 2:26 PM | Report abuse

Well the conditions that Mr Barbour remembers are what he remembers. I spent time in La. in the early 60's and my memories are simullar. My advice to you, judge Mr Barbour by his record not by his memory and the fact that it doesn't include the black experience, he is not black!

Posted by: rlgbob22 | December 21, 2010 2:28 PM | Report abuse

All together now... way down south in the land of cotton...

Posted by: whocares666 | December 21, 2010 2:32 PM | Report abuse

Leevis: What "shared history" are you talking about? The shared history of slavery? The shared history of Jim Crow? Whites are impacted by what happened in Mississippi or Alabama or Virginia in the 1950s and 1960s as anyone. In fact, ALL AMERICANS (North, South, East, West, White, Black, Yellow, etc.). Do you think we should celebrate the shared history of Jim Crow? I think what the column is talking about is that Mr. Barbour has not learned the history of Jim Crow. And if you want to be President of the United States, you must learn that history.

Posted by: smith6 | December 21, 2010 2:32 PM | Report abuse

Barbour reminds me of Germans after WWII who claimed they had no idea what was happening to their Jewish neighbors.

Posted by: smith6 | December 21, 2010 2:36 PM | Report abuse

He is not racist?

Right, Barbour just likes segregation and lynching

Posted by: tchanta | December 21, 2010 2:37 PM | Report abuse

Like The Simpson's assessment of Fox News:

"Not Racist, but #1 with racists."

Posted by: areyousaying | December 21, 2010 2:51 PM | Report abuse

Senator Eastland was a pure racist who was raised in racist and segregated times, but Haley Barbour doesn't have that limp excuse. I remember reading once that Senator Eastland, after being introduced to Egypt's Anwar Sadat, turned to one of his aides and asked, "How come nobody told me he's a n****r?"

Posted by: Tony83703 | December 21, 2010 2:55 PM | Report abuse

If you live in an area and you aspire to higher office you should know the history of the area from whence you come.

Since Barbour statements imply that he doesn't really know the history of MS should we really trust him in repesenting ALL of the US?

Posted by: rlj1 | December 21, 2010 3:02 PM | Report abuse

"couldn't care less about the shared history of 13 percent of the population"?
Drama queen Capeheart strikes again,

Well, let's be accurate, since this is ostensible a news website: Haley Barbour was speaking about HIS experience of the era in HIS hometown. On the issue of Confederate History Month, he was making a factual statement about Democrat Governors in his state doing the same as Governor McConnell. If recounting facts makes you feel less "cared for" then the nanny state has taken on a whole new meaning. Additionally, might want to find another field of work (may I suggest PR for the DNC).

Half of African Americans, including the president, are too young to remember the Civil Rights era. You too, Jonathon. The President says so in his book. And your age speaks for itself. Is simply admitting that some horrible thing? Obviously not in the President's case. And for good reason: you dont have to have experienced something first hand to draw lessons from it.

This is the hypocrisy of the left. They want a "discussion" about race but then they flag as out-of-bounds anything that deviates from their view. Why would anyone have a discussion with someone who is only interested in their own viewpoint. Notice, Jonathon, Haley Barbour did not dismiss other people's experience of the era in other places. He made a factual statement of his own experience. If that makes him insensitive in your eyes, so be it. But it says more of about your own sensitivity than his.

Posted by: dummypants | December 21, 2010 3:05 PM | Report abuse

"But it's Ok for a man to be President when he couldn't care less about the shared history of a majority of its population?"

************

To paraphrase the first lady: "I dont remember ever really being proud of my country since Carter left the White House"

Capehart prefers people who speak for 1/3 of the country, i.e. the braindead left.

Posted by: dummypants | December 21, 2010 3:14 PM | Report abuse

If the mainstream media is going to keep trying to get the empty suit re-elected they better take a different tack. We know that he doesn't have the slightest idea of how to be a president. He is more concerned about being on TV and on the road than trying to do his job in the oval office. Now before you start painting everyone as a racist who disagrees with your views, remember we are going to vote for change and hope that you finally get the message.

Posted by: madmonk73 | December 21, 2010 3:18 PM | Report abuse

______________________________

This is a fairly common view held by many white Southerners. The Civil War had nothing to do with slavery. It's as though they don't want to have to admit that owning blacks against their will was the reason the Confederate states seceded from the Union. For them it was the right of states to allow legal residents to own blacks if they so desired. Sounds a lot like a distinction without a difference to me.

Posted by: kenger1 | December 21, 2010 3:25 PM | Report abuse

Washington Post folks -- why all the hooping and hollering over what Governor Barbour said about Civil Rights? Most White Anglo-Saxons Protestant (WASP) Southerners believe in their hearts that the Civil Rights period was just Big Government telling the South how to run its affairs. As for one who is from Mississippi, I am acutely aware of the sentiments of my fellow Southerners.

There is a strong and deeply embedded belief among some of the older folks (50+) that there was nothing wrong with having slaves, and that the Feds had no business messing with their slaves -- and don't tell slaves that they are ENDOWED WITH THE SAME INALIENABLE RIGHTS AS A WHITE MAN. Those are hanging words rest assure!

Barbour comes from the "Old-Plantation" Southern mentality that believes we can all get along with Blacks and other races just as long as they (BLACKS) don't try to overtake their (WASP) "way of life or culture," which is another way of saying --We Don't Really Like Blacks Governing Us Unless He or She Thinks and Acts Like Us.

Get a clue folks -- why haven't you heard any condemnation from promient Republican Conservatives or Religious figures concerning Barbour remarks -- and this is not the first time he has made outrageous statements. The reason is that what the Republican boys in the Big House believe folks! When you look at how the Tea Party and other Conservative Wing Nuts have caricature President Obama -- what would you expect from people like Barbour, Palin, Limbaugh, Beck, O'Reilly, and Hannity gangs.

Now, don't get me wrong -- Democrats have had their share of race baiting as well from Jesse Jackson, Robert Byrd, and others. But, you gottta admit folks -- the Republicans/Conservatives got race baiting/fear mongering down to a T! I should know -- because I am a former WASP non-white hating Republican. But thanks be to the Lord -- I have seen the light and only despise any Democrats or Republicans who uses race to scare people. Let's face it -- Richard Nixon's Southern Strategy was nothing new -- Politicians on both sides have been using race baiting in politics since the founding of this Republic.

We have an old saying in the South: "If you can scare Whites with Race Baiting -- The More The Merrier"

Posted by: djoh1226 | December 21, 2010 3:27 PM | Report abuse

Obama characterized the whole Rev. Wright revelations as 'a distraction' and chided debate moderators for even bringing it up. Seemed to work for Obama when it came to race. I am guessing that Republicans going into 2012 will try to do the same.

Posted by: dummypants | December 21, 2010 3:28 PM | Report abuse

I'll hold my breath for similar comments from Mr. Capehart about the dear departed KKK member, Robert Byrd.

Posted by: edcclub71 | December 21, 2010 3:38 PM | Report abuse

This article does not say what he said that was offensive...

I hope it wasn't as bad as when Harry Reid said Obama is a: "light-skinned African American with no Negro dialect, unless he wanted to have one."

Posted by: fury60 | December 21, 2010 3:43 PM | Report abuse

Oh, please....I grew up in the deep south just abut the same time Barbour did. What was he on drugs the whole time, did his Mama let him go out of the house. The "color-line" was drawn so tight you had to be 100 to jump over it. I only African-Americans I saw when I was little was when I went to see Jerry Lewis at the movies and the African-American citizens had to sit in the balcony (which, at that time made me jealous, but I didn't know I was supposed to be prejiduced - I was five years old..just this fact made me realized what was going on and then I started to look around and by the time the civil rights marches began I was ready to march also. Oh, I'm white, I am not proud of the history of the south...During the Civil War the Confederacy used to kidnap young Acadian farmers for the army..
Barbour...you are a racist if you saw the world around you when you grew up and have these opinions...if you didn't see these things then you're just stupid.

A citizens from the south, which will not rise again, but hopefully will become a contributing part of the movement of equality in this country

Posted by: lynlejeune | December 21, 2010 3:50 PM | Report abuse

Oh, are liberal pundits calling a Republican racist again? Yawn.

Maybe Capehart and the rest of the partisan hacks wouldn't look like such ridiculous hypocrites if they ever held a Democrat to their standards of political correctness.

Posted by: bobmoses | December 21, 2010 3:54 PM | Report abuse

Just a note to the Haley Barbour apologists who says he was in his teens when the civil rights movement was happening and he remembers what he remembers. Well, his older brother was Mayor of Yazoo City so his family was not isolated from what was happening in their town. Methinks he can remember more than he wants Americans to know.

Posted by: xdougwhite | December 21, 2010 4:11 PM | Report abuse

what a shock! Jeppie, Haley Barbour's older brother, decided to vote for Goldwater in 1964 instead of the Democrat Lyndon Johnson. In Yazoo City you had the luxury of voting for Senator Eastland, one of the most racist politicians in congress, or for president you could opt for Barry Goldwater, who voted against the Civil Rights Act of 1964. Obviously the younger brother came right along the same racist, Mississippi path. As that great song goes, "Missisippi Goddamn."

Posted by: DWSouthern | December 21, 2010 4:13 PM | Report abuse

Barbour is but one of about 55 million staunch RACISTS in the U.S.

They voted for McCain-Palin in '08, and would not be sorry if one or some of their number offed Obama.

Posted by: slipuvalad | December 21, 2010 4:18 PM | Report abuse

obama must share his blind spot with barbour...
obama feels the same way about whites...

Posted by: DwightCollins | December 21, 2010 4:21 PM | Report abuse

RIGBOBB22 said "simullar." That right there...tells you all you need to know.

Posted by: runawaytexan | December 21, 2010 4:25 PM | Report abuse

You don't have to be black, a Democrat, liberal, or even progressive in order to have a little more empathy than Barbour for what the blacks of Mississippi went through during the waning days of segregation. He thinks everything was just OK during the times when civil-rights workers and Medgar Evers were murdered by these good ol' white citizens it seems. I don't think he is representative of most modern Mississippi Republicans. He is a dinosaur and will never change, and is most unfit for national office.

Posted by: sim55 | December 21, 2010 4:26 PM | Report abuse

wedge: "why doesn't Hussein Obama have his kids in the black majority public schools.?"

Why don't you quit sleeping with your sister?

I'll tell you why: they're scared crapless that some Confederate redneck bigot - like yourself - would try to harm the child.

Get it? Go back to Tea Haters.

Posted by: 2229 | December 21, 2010 4:31 PM | Report abuse

bobmoses: "Oh, are liberal pundits calling a Republican racist again?"

Well, Haley Barbour is about as plantation stupid as it gets, and it sounds like you're the same way.

A man who hates blacks...well, he's a racist, stupid. Like you.Look up "racist" in the dictionary. Get it?

The nose-pickin' South, celebrating their stupidity and lack of humanity. No surprise.

Democrats are not race baiters. That's the sole premise of the anti-American RepubliTea party.

Posted by: 2229 | December 21, 2010 4:35 PM | Report abuse

Haley's two years older than me, and he lives ninety miles north. Like him, I didn't think things were too tough back in the day. However, even as a child, it did strike me as odd that there were two water fountains in most of the retail establishments, one marked "white" and the other "colored." And I was confused that some stores had three restrooms: "Men," "Women," and "Colored." And if I put a coin in my mouth, I was admonished to remove it because, "some nigra probably has handled it." The Continental Trailways bus station in my home town had separate waiting rooms until the late '60s, when Haley was almost twenty. But, I dare say Haley traveled little by bus, and he may not have hung around the station playing pinball like some of us. True, it was not hell on earth, but neither Haley nor I had to endure the humiliation of life in that segregated society. In the early '70s, in junior college, I had my first real experience of diversity: I played in a band with two black guys. Me 'n the female singer were the only two white folks at the black piano player's wedding. But the real eye-opener came for me one night when visiting in his home and I noticed the bullet holes in his parent's picture window. They had grown weary of replacing the glass only to have it shot at again by the KKK and their imitators. As an adult now, I quake to imagine what it must have been like as a parent to raise children in a home that served as the occasional target for morons. But, naw, nobody ever shot at my house neither, Haley. Life was all right back then for the most of us that mattered.

Posted by: lawyerwithachainsaw | December 21, 2010 4:38 PM | Report abuse

Stars and bars in the flag renders Gov Barbour's phrasing a bon ton; from the Mississippi swamp croaked Sen Bilbo and Rep Rankin.

Posted by: Martial | December 21, 2010 4:38 PM | Report abuse

Surely you jest? We just came out of two years almost having our fundamentals changed and this country transformed to socialism and you want to talk about blinders. It was you who had blinders on when Obama forced health care down our throats. Blinders? Obama is using class warfare and racial politics to divide the American people. If you didn't have your blinders on you would have said something about that, but you didn't, did you. Talk about the blind leading the blind.

Posted by: houstonian | December 21, 2010 4:45 PM | Report abuse

That flag so disgusts that the wife and I, as much as we like Civil War history, simply will not visit Vicksburg. It's hard even to drive through the place. How can one provision even gas money to a state that has the symbol of slavery and rebellion, not as a covering on the back of a dirty pick up truck with a cracked rear window (the poor white person's misguided attempt to entreat others to respect him), but as the official symbol of the state?

Posted by: Martial | December 21, 2010 4:47 PM | Report abuse

Well, Barbour is correct in the sense that the civil rights era wasn't bad--for him. I'm sure he had a fine time busting heads and waving axe handles. For the repressed minority, of course, it wasn't such good times. But Bubba Barbour doesn't give a rats about the minority population. Well, let me back track on that--he hates them, so I guess he does care to that extent.

Posted by: nicekid | December 21, 2010 5:05 PM | Report abuse

"... big as a Confederate flag..."

Confederate flags come in all sizes. Mine is about 2' x 3.25' but I hope to get a much bigger one for Christmas.

Posted by: LeePefley1 | December 21, 2010 5:09 PM | Report abuse

Many of these comments imply that they know how many people think, even though they never met them. That is bilge. Basing any argument on that is also bilge. Throwing the term "racist" around as loosely as it is being done on this blog is the acme of irresponsibility and maliciousness.

Posted by: grumpycarl63 | December 21, 2010 5:31 PM | Report abuse

Mr. Capehart; all,

i'd really like for any of you clue-less/hate-filled/arrogant DIMocRAT extremists to explain to everyone why anyone should care what and/or if you think, inasmuch as the DIMocRATS are finished, kaput & done as a "major political party".

BHO & a large number of Congressional DIMocRATS will lose their current offices on 01/20/2013 & there is nothing that any one of them can do to forestall that bloodbath. the "New Deal Coalition" is splintered beyond repair, the "rank & file" trade unionists have left or are leaving the party & the moderate-conservative Independents & Democrat voters no longer trust any of the DIMocRAT "leadership" to act in their (rather than in the "leaders" own) interest.

so, my serious question to the "DIMocRAT leaders" is:
How do you seriously hope to ever win another national election, when you are thought to have essentially nobody but the arrogant/extremist leftists, the "professional racebaiters", the union bosses & the "terminally stupid" in your party?

sincerely, Retired MP46

Posted by: retiredMP46 | December 21, 2010 5:35 PM | Report abuse

personal to Mr. Capehart,

before i pay much attention to any of your partisan nitwittery & "victim blather" on "race", i would really like to know when/if you plan to mount an attack the DIMocRAT party & BHO for allowing a "sitting KKK national officer" to remain for decades in the US Senate and be a "longtime shining star of the Senate & a credit to our party".
(Obama said that of Senator Robert "KKK" Byrd just this year.)

don't you think that "sitting around & saying nothing" about a stinking/filthy life-long Klansman in the US Congress makes you look silly, unknowing and/or hypocritical?

it is my opinion that the editorial staff of The Washington Post would say nothing critical/negative if the DIMocRATS elected a congress-critter who was a necrophiliac, a pedophile and/or a cannibal if the office-holder was willing to vote the way that Princess Pelosi & Harry Reid directed them to vote.

fwiw, i have lost any respect that i ever had for the DIMocRATS and/or "the mainstream press" because they are only about "political expediency" & self-serving quests for additional money/power.

sincerely, Retired MP46

Posted by: retiredMP46 | December 21, 2010 5:54 PM | Report abuse

THE QUESTION I DON'T HEAR ANYBODY ASKING IS...WHY DIDN'T THE BLACKS RISE UP IN REVOLUTION ACROSS THE SOUTH TO ERADICATE SEGREGATION.

Posted by: DANSHANTEAL1 | December 21, 2010 5:59 PM | Report abuse

Why must everyone have a similar view of how race affected them? My perspective is absolutely going to be different from yours. Does that make mine wrong? Does it make yours wrong?

It's time to quit trying to homogenize our society and force people to recall events or feelings about an experience that just didn't happen for them. If it wasn't that bad, maybe you could just accept that instead of inflaming the debate.

Posted by: jpaul898 | December 21, 2010 6:04 PM | Report abuse

Barbour grew up as a Southern white boy from a privileged family in Mississippi. He would never have been physically, emotionally or psychologically threatened by the Klan of the White Citizens Councils, because he was white. As a white person, his humanity was never denied while living in Mississippi. But I would like to hear from some Black residents of Yazoo City--let's hear what they experienced while growing up in that town during the 1950's and 1960's. Dare I say that their perspective would be much different than Barbour's.

In 2010 America, this country remains one of glaring contradictions. This country still operates on the notion of the supposed superiority of the white male; this notion is cleverly reinforced each day. Barbour spoke the truth as he sees it, from his point of view as a wealthy white male, who has become governor in what many consider (still) as the most backward and racist state in the Union.

Posted by: Wdc2424 | December 21, 2010 6:09 PM | Report abuse

Someone please tell me why Haley Barbour knows so little about his state's history. Born and bred there, he has risen to a variety of high public offices as a Republican and now serves as the state's governor. How is it that he knows, or pretends to know, little or nothing about its civil rights history in the past 60 years?

Posted by: MichaelLHays | December 21, 2010 6:09 PM | Report abuse

"so, my serious question to the "DIMocRAT leaders" is:

sincerely, Retired MP46"

Sounds like the Democrats neglected to recruit one of the terminally stupid....

Posted by: thrh | December 21, 2010 6:14 PM | Report abuse

Too many below the Mason/Dixon Line were left alive after the Civil War.
It's not enough that the good guys won; should have had Sherman cleansing the region for years after Lee's surrender...

Posted by: kase | December 21, 2010 6:24 PM | Report abuse

Keep it up dude ... the African American community is greatly benefitting from all this race baiting ... remind me again ... what is the last refuge of a scoundrel ???

Posted by: cunn9305 | December 21, 2010 6:24 PM | Report abuse

Well I suppose as long as Al "race baiter" Sharpton and Jesse "I hate Jews" Jackson can remain standards in the Dems's party, you libs have no room to talk about race issues.

Posted by: irish031 | December 21, 2010 6:36 PM | Report abuse

This is only the start of the rhetoric were going to hear, it's time to attack everything on the board according to the republicans. Mississippi is one of the lowest income states in the country, if not the worst, massive poverty, yet he wants to run for president. I had to smile when Mr Barbour made the statement he didn't think the race card was all that bad when he was growing up, mm mm.
Isn't that about the time the KKK was terrorizing blacks, Haley must have been well sheltered as a child, if you want to believe that story.

Posted by: shipfreakbo214 | December 21, 2010 6:37 PM | Report abuse

Yea! Yea! the racist South, Bla Bla Bla,
open your eyes !

"Many northern whites also wanted to keep slaves out of the West in order to keep blacks out. The North was a pervasively racist society where free blacks suffered social, economic, and political discrimination . . . . Bigots, they sought to bar African-American slaves from the West." Lincoln himself clearly stated that "we" want the Territories "for free white labor." (by Thomas DiLorenzo)

Posted by: Davtatum | December 21, 2010 6:38 PM | Report abuse

Well Kase,

Do you think you are man enough to start what you want?

Posted by: irish031 | December 21, 2010 6:39 PM | Report abuse

Capehart, you bigoted, racists jerk! As long as there's a penny to be made on hate and victimization, you're going to keep stirring the pot of conflict, division and prejudgment. The sooner the likes of you (and Jackson, Sharpton, et al) are quieted by the long view of history, the better.

Posted by: JAH3 | December 21, 2010 6:46 PM | Report abuse

ummm...who cares? He was talking about his impression of events in the 1960's from a boys point of view. The race hustlers are out in force as usual at the Post. Imagine, a young man checking out girls at a speech his parents dragged him to. The horror! I guess it does not matter that he was interested enough to go see MLK speak huh? FYI, a lot of people don't think a 145 year old flag means "diddly". No quote's from the justice brothers Al Sharpton or Jesse? Your slipping Capeheart.

Posted by: j751 | December 21, 2010 6:55 PM | Report abuse

Please don't apologize, Mr. Barbour. The blacks won't vote for a Republican anyway, and we white people are tired of kissing ebony ham hocks.

Posted by: AlvinYork | December 21, 2010 6:57 PM | Report abuse

Anyone that ignorant needn't worry about being our President. How are you going to deal with the world when you don't even know the history of your own back yard? But then Mississippi is 49th in education.

Posted by: MNUSA | December 21, 2010 7:01 PM | Report abuse

Why in the heck is anybody actually discussing Haley Barbour as president?

Posted by: johndouged | December 21, 2010 7:15 PM | Report abuse

Haley who?

Posted by: helloisanyoneoutthere | December 21, 2010 7:17 PM | Report abuse

That's nothing. When it comes to our national defense, and the Marines on the front line, Mr. Capehart has a blind spot the size of the United States.

Posted by: Horace2 | December 21, 2010 7:30 PM | Report abuse

red necks, white sheets with pointy hoods to cover their pointy heads -- some thing just never change. sigh.

Posted by: abbydelabbey | December 21, 2010 7:32 PM | Report abuse

fancypants: You didn't have to live in the civil rights era to experience discrimination. I flew from Alaska to Florida and hitch hiked around the country. You didn't have to look very far in North Florida to get an inkling of what it must have been like before Civil Rights.

Posted by: akcoins | December 21, 2010 7:33 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: r_loveland
~~~~~
What about Haley Barbour lovelan It's always about race with him not Capehart.
Funny how a white person such as yourself can never see that the WHITE man, in this case Barbour continues to throw the 1st punch, the 2nd punch, the 3rd punch and so on and so on.

Yet, too a super ignorant person such as you, that Capehart reacted to Barbour means somehow that CAPEHART has the problem with race?

Your logic is as disgusting as Barbour's.
~~~~

obama must share his blind spot with barbour...
obama feels the same way about whites...

Posted by: DwightCollins, another idiot
~~~~~
Prove your comment, otherwise shut the hell up with your lie, man do whites lie!!!...about anything
~~~~
...Up Next....

Posted by: dummypants, another idiot.
~~~
You are a shining example of what's wrong with discourse in this country.
Just like DwightCollins you are just making it up as you go. Again, it's amazing, simply astonishing how whites like you hear only what you want to hear, read only what you want to read. Capehart, is you are able to read (?)didn't say anything about blacks being a "majority". Shows how you are some combination of ignorant, insecure and paranoid....as well as a dirty liar.
~~~~~
...and now this...

by houstonian, another white man who thinks he's entitled to his own facts.

Give an example, next time of President Obama using "class warfare"

Betcha' can't without lying.
~~~~
....a crybaby writes like this...

Posted by: grumpycarl63
~~~
Yeah so is throwing around terms such as Socialist, Dimocrat, Marxist, but it doesn't stop the likes of you.
~~~~~

Posted by: ArmchairGM | December 21, 2010 7:37 PM | Report abuse

My question for you is when did 13% become a majority? You expect anyone who isn't black to act as if they owe you something just because you are here. I grew up in the rural south. Many of my neighbors were black and we all worked together when there was a need. But there was a big difference between them and you. They worked their land and were proud of their accomplishments. Most owned farms that fed their families and provided for the betterment of their children through education and respect for everyone that earned it. They were also Americans not African-Americans. Were you born in Africa? If not quit calling yourself an African-American. You act as if your ancestors are the only people to ever be enslaved. Why don't you educate yourself regarding world history. There is no race that hasn't been enslaved at some point. Get over it. At least your ancestors didn't have to move from the southeast to Oklahoma Territory on the Trail of Tears.

Posted by: chuckm1a | December 21, 2010 7:42 PM | Report abuse

djoh1226 said: "GOVERNOR BARBOUR IS SAYING OUT LOUD WHAT MOST WHITE SOUTHERNERS BELIEVE IN PRIVATE . . . Most White Anglo-Saxons Protestant (WASP) Southerners believe in their hearts that the Civil Rights period was just Big Government telling the South how to run its affairs."

Wow, djoh1226. Looks like big fat racist Repub good ole boys aren't the only ones to let misguided stereotypes guide their view of the world. Generalize much?

Posted by: tomguy1 | December 21, 2010 7:43 PM | Report abuse

Right now, the lapdog media is going through the haystacks to find needles.

Since, the lines have been drawn in the sand, and the people rebuked the liberal agenda, it is time to start picking off any conservative that might have a shot at the Republican presidential nomination.

Remember, Republicans are racist, homophobic, hate chldren and old people, and only love the the millionaires and billionaires. Oh yeah, they are evil as well.

Posted by: thelaw1 | December 21, 2010 7:43 PM | Report abuse

Shocker!!! A black jourNOlist whining about a white republican.
I thought the news was suppsosed to be something new?

At least he didn't say Obama has a good negro dialect or something of that nature.

Posted by: ravioliman6666 | December 21, 2010 7:43 PM | Report abuse

Folks such as Barbour define the norm for racial tolerance a bit differently than do most people. In his world, if you don't subscribe to lynchings and lawn burnings, then you are a model citizen without a racist bone in your body ... even though you can't stomach the idea of full racial equality and a totally desegregated society.

Posted by: labman57 | December 21, 2010 7:49 PM | Report abuse

God help you if you are white and UTTER a word about blacks. If you do you will be a rasist! They can call whites anything they want and talk about whites any way they want and its no problem. PEOPLE are PEOPLE.
The whites of today did not enslave the blacks of yesterday...you dont here the indians of today raising an issue about everything that was done to them do you? A lot more atrocities were done to them by the way.

Posted by: gatekeeper4 | December 21, 2010 7:54 PM | Report abuse

Haley Barbour isn't a racist, how dare you?

I mean, he freely admits in public that he has negroes, I mean colored people, I mean black people, I mean african americans mowing his lawn.

I'm not sure who I'm making fun of there, take your pick :-P

Posted by: eezmamata | December 21, 2010 7:55 PM | Report abuse

The bottom line... Haley is too fat and "good ole boy" to be a contender for pres. He's not the role model this electorate needs. He doesn't refect the majority. He's OLD SCHOOL and pretty much irrelevant.

I wish we would stop talking about racist issues. We should be well beyond that in this country.

Posted by: janetwall | December 21, 2010 7:55 PM | Report abuse

There is no difference between the terrorists who strap themselves with explosives and blow people up and the segregationists from the South who lynched black people and hung them with nooses. Mr. Haley Barbour rubbed salt in an old wound and reminds us all about man's inhumanity to man. It is a shame that such a man is the chairman of Republican Governors' Association. He may have walked back from the praise he heaped on the White Citizens council, but out of the abundance of the heart does the mouth speak.

Posted by: oraukwu | December 21, 2010 7:55 PM | Report abuse

If his name was Harry Reid or Robert Byrd this would be a non-story. Byrd was in the KKK for crying out loud, and he was honored by the NAACP based solely on him being a Democrat. How hypocritical some of us can be.

Posted by: HokieDoke | December 21, 2010 7:58 PM | Report abuse

" I am saying that, for the second time this year, Barbour has displayed a stunning lack of insight, knowledge or even sensitivity to the role race played and continues to play in his own backyard."

Paying good money for politically correct little rants from knee-jerk racists like Capehart is why the WP had gone way downhill from being a nationally read newspaper to a local bit of fishwrapping.

Posted by: plaasjaapie | December 21, 2010 7:59 PM | Report abuse

"you dont here the indians of today raising an issue about everything that was done to them do you? A lot more atrocities were done to them by the way."

Wow, you didn't spell a single homonym in your rant correctly, a bit drunk maybe?

And as always, comparing the equality or non-equality of atrocities is an exercise worthy of our greatest minds and lots of time.

Posted by: eezmamata | December 21, 2010 8:00 PM | Report abuse

Concerning the atrocities inflicted upon black people in the South, it is useful to remember that far more white people have been, and continue to be, slaughtered by black people than the other way around.
Liberals are incensed by the dozen or so murders of civil right workers in the early 1960s, but are indifferent to the THOUSANDS of murders committed by black people in the years since then. It is a fact that young black males are the most accomplished murderers in the country.

Posted by: LeePefley1 | December 21, 2010 8:00 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: AlvinYork

Ah, the unapologetic racist-an American original.

Posted by: ArmchairGM | December 21, 2010 8:03 PM | Report abuse

Perhaps Haley Barbour should meet and present his ill founded opinions with the families whom had loved ones beaten, tortured, lynched, shot and bombed in Mississippi.

Posted by: lynnlm | December 21, 2010 8:05 PM | Report abuse

His memory of circumstances 50+ years ago is now a disqualifying thought crime. Many things which then seemed ok 50 years ago (when he was a teenager) are now viewed as not so good or very bad. Thats fine and even progress but that the expression of the memory alone is impermissible strikes me as Stalinist. Memories of things which are now politically incorrect must be stamped out!

Posted by: jockp | December 21, 2010 8:05 PM | Report abuse

If Governor Barbour is quoted correctly "She even voted for Willkie in 1944.....

It would not be surprising if there were only the 3 family votes obtained, since Willkie ran for President in 1940, and was dead a month before the 1944 election.

Posted by: etaoin22 | December 21, 2010 8:05 PM | Report abuse

Haley Barbour is gay.

Posted by: eezmamata | December 21, 2010 8:06 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: lynnlm | December 21, 2010 8:06 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: jockp | December 21, 2010 8:06 PM | Report abuse

"He [Harry Reid] was wowed by Obama's oratorical gifts and believed that the country was ready to embrace a black presidential candidate, especially one such as Obama -- a 'light-skinned' African American 'with no Negro dialect, unless he wanted to have one.'"

“I shall never fight in the armed forces with a Negro by my side... Rather I should die a thousand times, and see Old Glory trampled in the dirt never to rise again, than to see this beloved land of ours become degraded by race mongrels, a throwback to the blackest specimen from the wilds." - Robert Byrd (D), U.S. Senator.

Posted by: HokieDoke | December 21, 2010 8:11 PM | Report abuse

Hate filled, racist blogs like this will surely increase Confederate flag sales all across the country.

Posted by: logicprevails | December 21, 2010 8:14 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: irish031
~~~~
Give examples and quotes, otherwise, you should be sued for slander. Jesse Jackson has never said anything like that....ever.
~~~~~~~~

Posted by: gatekeeper4

Your 1st 3 sentences are more ignorant white lies.

To your 5th sentence...Right! That's why we can't figure out why racebaiters such as Barbour and yourself keep wanting this junk to go on, if you all had nothing to do with it-why keep up the racial comments.

To your last sentence-What are you PROUD of that?
~~~
...and this kernel of pure fantasy...

by some deluded moron LeePefley1

Who?
What?
When?
Where?
Why? &..
How?

Each man is entitled to his own set of opinions, not his own set of delusions.
~~~~

....SOME white men are total 'tards...

Posted by: HokieDoke
~~~~
To use Robert Byrd as an example shows how stupid you are. First, Byrd's story like that of Sherry Sheppard, was a story of redemption and enlightenment, that's why he was honored, if he was, by the NAACP.
~~
Man, I tell you, it must be a real treat to be a stupid white man, you can just make up your own version of history, truth & reality- and stay around enough ignorant white just like to convince yourselves of lies.

I used to have such a high opinion of white men, thinking you all were the among the best and brightest- I couldn't have been more wrong.

There are some seriously sick puppies in your race....and many of them are older men. One would think with age comes wisdom, but not their cases.

Posted by: ArmchairGM | December 21, 2010 8:22 PM | Report abuse

"...the expression of the memory alone is impermissible strikes me as Stalinist. Memories of things which are now politically incorrect must be stamped out!"

A wonderful, thoughtful comment, "jockp"! Unlike the blog. Kudos!

Posted by: logicprevails | December 21, 2010 8:25 PM | Report abuse

Armchair - I'm not white. And I in know way support the remarks made by Barbour. I quoted Byrd to show the hypocrisy of some of these posters. Byrd was actually in the KKK, an organization that some have lumped Barbour in with. Byrd's remarks are a thousand times more racist and ignorant than Barbour's, yet he can apologize (truthful or not) and be forgiven for his idiocy. Byrd's group actually lynched people. And an apology redeems all evil? Please.

Posted by: HokieDoke | December 21, 2010 8:32 PM | Report abuse

After reading some of these comments, I could not be happier to have thrown the poison called Christianity out of my mind.

One of the flaws of blacks is worshipping the same religion of whites. I'm always pointing out to other blacks that we should not be doing that.

These posts prove me absolutely correct.

Christianity is both the religion of pure evil AND the religion of impotence.

Why should my race worship a religion that has proven absolutely ineffective in getting rid of the black-hearted evil in the souls of whites such as these posters. It's an impotent religion, it doesn't work.

The sooner my race wises up to those facts, the better.

Black folks free your minds from the pure poison called Christianity.

Hey, if it can't help soothe the soul of the white man and he's it's main SALESMAN, then WHAT GOOD IS THIS GARBAGE FOR US?

What, you all don't believe me? Well, look at the CHRISTIANS on this board.

Why are you worshipping the same religion as these people and they hate you?

What are you stupid?

As African-Americans, no as AFRICANS, we need to be worshipping our own religion and speaking our own native tongue.

We are the only race of people on Earth that doesn't do this and look where it's gotten us.

How is Jesus Christ our savior? Your savior wouldn't enslave you and then leave you with a nasty child of slavery-RACISM.

What type of Savior does that?
Answer: A false one, a false Savior.

Jesus Christ is not our Savior and it's proven by these whites, do they act like our brothers...well, do they?

Let's get the Christian garbage out of our minds, I have.

Posted by: ArmchairGM | December 21, 2010 8:35 PM | Report abuse

Some good points on religion, Armchair, though I don't agree with it. The only thing your proposal does is cause self-segregation. People suffered, fought, and died for years to desegregate this country, yet you want to go back 60 years and segregate social groups based on race. Already there are blacks-only school clubs, blacks-only graduations, etc. All you're doing is trying to take us back to the segregation era.

Posted by: HokieDoke | December 21, 2010 8:41 PM | Report abuse

~~~~
...could've fooled me and did.

Byrd and Barbour are totally different men and in the context of Barbour's comments using Byrd's life is a specious example.

But whatever, the comments on this thread allow me to get to my main point, my raison d'etre- that blacks should not worship the same religion as a race of people who can't stand them though we have not done a damn thing to whites.

We helped them build this country.

We (Crispus Attucks) were the 1st ones to die for this country in the American Revolution.

We have had to deal with incredible lies like being somehow genetically predisposed to liking chicken and watermelon.

And all of this supported by a religion, Christianity, that always singing that bull isht about "love".

Please, I actually love threads like this, I make copies and show blacks how useless and ineffective this religion is.

If I can't get rid of the hatred, bigotry , prejudice, racial propaganda & stereotypes and disciminatory behavior in whites and they are its main proponents & salesmen then....

...What good is it for us, what good is this impotent religion for MY race?

I can't believe my race INSISTS on following the same religion as a race of people who hate us out of hand, for no reason at all. They have thrown all of the punches.

...for no reason at all...

Why are we following the religion of racists? Why?
Why?
Why?
Why?
Why?
Why?
Why?
Why?
Why?

Posted by: ArmchairGM | December 21, 2010 8:50 PM | Report abuse

Selective memory plagues many of us.

Posted by: khmaio | December 21, 2010 8:51 PM | Report abuse

yet you want to go back 60 years and segregate social groups based on race
~~~
Again, each man is entitled to his own opinion, not his own facts, quote me saying something, anything about segregation- I'm not a southern white man.

My race shouldn't worship the same religion as a people who hate us only because we're alive, not because we've done a damn thing to them.

We're Donovan McNabb, doing nothing to harm a soul, yet reviled anyway. Innocent, but hated all the same.

Whites are the enslavers
Whites are the segregationists
Whites keep picking at the sore of race in this country, REFUSING,ABSOLUTELY REFUSING to let it scab over.

It's them not me, not us, not my race-they do the picking, the poking. They make the sly racial digs. They do it, not me.

For no good reason, out of the blue Haley Barbour, like Rand Paul just up and started some isht. No one prompted him and he was responding to some attack.

Just like whites do, Barbour picked at the scab, not me.

I guess it must be a Christian 'THANG, I wouldn't understand.

Posted by: ArmchairGM | December 21, 2010 8:59 PM | Report abuse

"yet you want to go back 60 years and segregate social groups based on race"
~~~

Whites are the enslavers.
Whites are the segregationists.

For no good reason, out of the blue Haley Barbour, like Rand Paul just up and started some isht. No one prompted him and he was NOT responding to some attack.

Just like whites do, Barbour picked at the scab, not me.

I guess it must be a Christian 'THANG, I wouldn't understand.

Posted by: ArmchairGM | December 21, 2010 9:02 PM | Report abuse

Hopefully, I win some more black converts over to my way of thinking, I'm sure as hell going to try.

So thanks bigots and race baiters, I'm out.

Posted by: ArmchairGM | December 21, 2010 9:04 PM | Report abuse

He had an opportunity to say something that would help him rise above the crowd and look like someone who could actually lead the U.S. Instead he looks like a fat cracker handmaiden of rich white folks.

Posted by: hgoldman77yahoocom | December 21, 2010 9:20 PM | Report abuse

The more you focus on racism in the South while ignoring and denying the history of racism in other parts of the country, the more you will be suprised when it rears up in those other places and bites your hind end while your head is in Missippi.

Posted by: wisehiney | December 21, 2010 9:37 PM | Report abuse

Back then black people had to deal with segregation, now they have to deal with crime. If you were white you probably would think black people had it better then than now.

Posted by: plither | December 21, 2010 9:44 PM | Report abuse

Yawn.

Jonathan Capehart describes bloated, drawling, and pasty white Haley Barbour as a racist.

Probably true but terminally predictable and utterly boring.

You need fresh material. Surprise us.

Good night.

Yawn.

Posted by: eric_lamar | December 21, 2010 9:50 PM | Report abuse

I just have to laugh at Barbour's comment that he just didn't remember segregation 'being all that bad.'

Duh.

Yea, I'm pretty sure it wasn't that bad for him. A great example of the truism that a gaffe is when someone accidentally says how he really feels about something.

Posted by: MidwaySailor76 | December 21, 2010 10:36 PM | Report abuse

The enthusiastic apologists for Governor Barbour must not comprehend the "Southern Strategy". After all, the GOP has used race hatred for many years to unite their fearful and the ignorant. Nixon didn't invent it, he just understood it.

Posted by: rowens1 | December 22, 2010 10:02 AM | Report abuse

So now, not only do we have to keep up with the "racially insensitive" minefield that changes everyday, we are now expected to have the same memories and experiences of the past of repressed peoples?

The utter lack of truth here (no matter what it might be) is staggering. Honest discussion has been replaced with gotcha which hunts by race traders. One day people will run the race-bait mongers out of the national discussion--and we will all be better off.

Posted by: bullittmcqueen | December 22, 2010 10:14 AM | Report abuse

Haley would say that as a continuing denial of ANYTHING ever happening in Mississippi that has ANYTHING to do with race... He will always say there is nothing that's racial in Mississippi as long as he is alive.

Haley is the Grand Wizard of the State's KKK so he's PAID to do this publicly... You have to either live there now OR have lived thru it's past to laugh at Haley's on-going public lies... I lived thru it's past and watched as it got to where it is (publicly and in reality) today. They are VERY DIFFERENT places.

I challenge you to take a long weekend and fly to Jackson Mississippi International Airport; rent your self a car; get a map of the state and head kinda north-east out of Jackson on US 49 and go to Yazoo City... Get a good flavor of what Haley and his Klan buddies have brought to the area. But THEN, after getting some gas, or even staying the night, mozy on up NW toward Silver City and Indianola - US Hwy 49 W should take you fine.. OR, you can opt to go up toward Greenwood on US Hwy 49 E.. You pick based on how much abject poverty you can stomach in one day.

After that little saunter, either way you choose, get back on the road and head yourself to Cleveland (MS. that is).... When you get to Cleveland, you're in the middle of the Mississippi delta... Home of every vestige of slavery STILL in the US and base of Haley's lie... It should only take you a day, unless you've been overcome by the sadness of this experience so far and need to stay hold up somewhere an extra day to re-group, hit US Hwy. 61 North... head North toward Memphis. What you'll see in the next few hours of that sojourn will change your view PERMANENTLY on everything, any living and serving WHITE politician from that area ever says - publicly or privately - on ANY subject - FOREVER.

EVERYTHING that Haley Barbour says is a hoax. It's a lie and a Fairy Tale of EPIC proportion... and folks keep thinking he's telling them the truth. Haley is the worse kind of racist. He is one that doesn't believe racism actually exists!

After Haley shot his mouth off for a second day, I dusted off some of the papers and headlines that accompanied on-the-ground events in the area. Either ALL the newspapers of the day (those that had any backbone to print the stuff - My college paper editor was one of those folks) were absolutely reporting exactly the opposite of what their eyes are telling them, or Haley Barbour is from Mars.

Posted by: rbaldwin2 | December 22, 2010 11:37 AM | Report abuse

Say what you will about his alleged racist remarks, no fat slob blowhard like this clown is in danger of ever sitting in the Oval Office. Regardless of party.

Posted by: azumaguy | December 22, 2010 2:53 PM | Report abuse

********************************************
Well, they became the party of Southern racists in 1964, they pushed the Defense of Marriage Act and voted en masse against repealing DADT, they want to abolish the Dept. of Education and Social Security, and they wouldn't extend benefits for the unemployed unless tax cuts for the top 1% were extended. You are absolutely right, they are evil bigots who only care about the rich.

Posted by: dnahatch1 | December 22, 2010 4:19 PM | Report abuse

For those of you keeping score at home, the following staff at the Washington Post have launched charges of racism against Conservatives today:

Ruth Marcus
Harold Myerson
Jonathan Capeheart

More coming tomorrow. I just hope the "leadership" at the Washington Post realizes that the op-ed section has become a sad joke. No one on the op-ed pages (except for Michael Gerson) appears to be interested in making a serious attempt at commentary -- which by definition makes just about the entire op-ed staff unfit for these pages.

Posted by: diehardlib | December 22, 2010 7:33 PM | Report abuse

Haley offers us another moment to define racism. It is the general disregard, as shown by Haley and many of these commentors, for Africans dignity and humanity. What I don't understand is why racists hate to be called racist. Why does that bother racists so much? When it is obvious and made obvious by them?

Posted by: thelma1 | December 27, 2010 9:15 AM | Report abuse