Posted at 8:24 AM ET, 12/13/2010

John Boehner's crying game

By Jonathan Capehart

One of the perks of being in the Fourth Estate is that sometimes you get the transcripts of news shows before they air. So it was with great delight that I read the "60 Minutes" interview with Speaker-designate John Boehner (R-Ohio). It read well, especially the stuff on how "dark skin" Boehner was as easily prone to crying as the Pillsbury Doughboy was prone to giggling when poked in the stomach. But, man, when I watched the interview, I kept thinking, "Dude, c'mon!"

Boehner blubbers twice in front of Lesley Stahl during the interview. If you fast forward to 5:40 on the viewer you will see his face uncomfortably contort as he talks about why he refuses to visit schools anymore. And then he does it at the end of the interview with his wife by his side.

Look, I'm not one to talk. I instantly cry at Leontyne Price's "America the Beautiful" that she sang in her 1996 "Return to Carnegie Hall" recital. I fight back tears when Mame turns to young Patrick and bellows with outstretched arms, "But, darling, I'm your Auntie Mame!" And the sight of Manhattan from the window after takeoff from LaGuardia is a guaranteed gusher. So, a leader who cries will have special standing with me. It tells me there's a heart there.

As I wrote last month about Boehner's election night waterworks, he humanized himself with his tearful talk of working hard to achieve the American Dream. That being said, watching Boehner cry while saying that he can't visit a school anymore was a bit much.

Stahl: On election night, what made you sad, what got to you that night?

Boehner: I was talking, trying to talk about the fact that I've been chasing the American Dream my whole career. There's some things that are very difficult to talk about. Family. Kids. I can't go to a school anymore. I used to go to a lot of schools. And you see all these little kids running around. Can't talk about it.

Stahl: Why?

Boehner: Making sure that these kids have a shot at the American Dream, like I did. It's important.

Touching.

But I'm still trying to square this heartfelt concern with Republican opposition last month to extending the unemployment insurance (while supporting tax cuts for the wealthy) that might help keep the parents of those "little kids running around" from sliding deeper into economic misery.

By Jonathan Capehart  | December 13, 2010; 8:24 AM ET
Categories:  Capehart  | Tags:  Jonathan Capehart
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: The Dream Act affects more than Latinos
Next: Bloomberg for president?

Comments

Totally agree with you about Boehner's tears, but Lesley Stahl desperately needs an intervention with a hair stylist. Makes ME cry just to look at that coiffure!

Posted by: rdklingus | December 13, 2010 10:01 AM | Report abuse

Boehner runs the risk of over doing it. No one wants a leader that's an emotional basket case.

Posted by: Frazil | December 13, 2010 10:08 AM | Report abuse

I have to disagree,I caught Boehners interview and all his crying made me think the guy is totally unstable and needs to be on anti-depressant meds and in a hospital..If you read between the lines when he says"compromise" he means he is not going to GIVE In..his idea of compromise & finding common ground are 2 totally different things..He is total BS and his crying is just a way to get what he wants, He acts like a 2 year old child throwing a fit..Boehner needs to grow a pair and quit crying over his "American dream story..No One wants to hear how bad he has had it..There are a ton of Americans who have had it MUCH worse than he has..BTW: his wife did not look to impressed with him either, I actually felt sorry for her..

Posted by: kalyn | December 13, 2010 10:18 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: rlj1 | December 13, 2010 10:28 AM | Report abuse

This guy is third in line to be President? Just what we need a weeper, not. Boehner is hardly the first Speaker to work his way through college, and his dad was a small business owner, not some hard scrabble farmer nor was he an orphan. Is he so emotional because he is the 150th white guy to be Speaker. Please, if Nancy Pelosi had been weepy like this guy they would have run her off.

Posted by: merrylees | December 13, 2010 10:30 AM | Report abuse

The Democrats don't understand this emotion because they have no hearts.

Posted by: georges2 | December 13, 2010 10:51 AM | Report abuse

merrylees - you are absolutely right about Ms. Pelosi.

georges2 - puh-leeze.

How does Boehner get a pass for his (maybe over-the-top) emotional reaction, but Howard Dean hollers out of excitement and he's a nut job?

PS - I wish Chuck Hagel would run for President, but he's too smart to want to.

Posted by: Blarney | December 13, 2010 10:58 AM | Report abuse

Ok let me get this straight. Ed Muskie cries because the right wing Union Leader newspaper attacks his wife and he can't be President. Boehner cries and since he's one of those tough guy GOP it makes him more human and he can be the head of the GOP in Congress. Just checking.

Posted by: Ralph_Indianapolis | December 13, 2010 11:05 AM | Report abuse

Democrats have no heart. The base of our platform has been, for as long as I can remember, sticking up for the little guy. Whereas the Republicans stand for dissolution of the Democratic Party, Unions, the middle class in general and standing up for Corporations and the wealthy. How dare you make such a claim when the Republican voted to end unemployment insurance to the "999ers" and yet would not pass an extension of the Bush tax cuts unless the wealthiest one percent of the population was included. Where is your ire concerning deficit reduction? May I remind you that this same scenario played out in '92 when the deficit became a political football. To their credit, they eventually passed a balanced budget and we had a surplus until Bush came to power. By the time he left, these unfunded tax cuts left us with over a trillion dollar defecit. Oh, those heartless Democrats. Can you say Cheney? DeLay? I didn't think so.

Posted by: dfo_grady | December 13, 2010 11:36 AM | Report abuse

Heavily medicated, depressed and a drinker.

Posted by: skinswitabullet | December 13, 2010 11:44 AM | Report abuse

Anybody see "The View" this morning? Barbara Walters said she thinks Boehner's got "an emotional problem" - then they all went on about if Nancy Pelosi cried that much, she would be viewed as weak - of course, Elizabeth H. defended him - they showed the video (I missed the show); it was quite comical and made him look like a fool - I thinks it's all an act--

Posted by: southernbutnotstupid | December 13, 2010 11:50 AM | Report abuse

If I'd sold my soul to corporate interests and the super-rich at the expense of the middle class and working poor I'd cry a lot too.

Posted by: Chip_M | December 13, 2010 11:53 AM | Report abuse

A comment on Lesly Stahl's hair...it is a wig! She needs a new one. And as far as Boehner goes, clearly he is the polar opposite of Obama. There is absolutely no common ground, as he likes to say, between the two.

Posted by: lyndaelaine | December 13, 2010 11:55 AM | Report abuse

His tears are an indication of emotional instability rather than empathy. As another commenter said, "and he's 3rd in line for the presidency?"

The tears don't comport with the Republican agenda of opposing any legislation aimed at helping the middle class and poor.

Posted by: bpotter110 | December 13, 2010 11:57 AM | Report abuse

TO: georges2 who wrote:
“The Democrats don't understand this emotion because they have no hearts. “

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Ha!

Ask a Republican to feed the poor or give comfort to the sick, and they’ll call you a bunch of names beginning with lazy, moocher, etc., and they’ll grab their guns before they even think of helping their neighbor.

Take a look back at GWB’s definition of “compassionate” and you’ll find a very long list of dead people.

Boehner is apparently a really sick, heavily medicated, depressed drinker.

Republicans will rationalize with ANY poor behavior, so long as it’s being done by a Republican.

Posted by: lindalovejones | December 13, 2010 12:22 PM | Report abuse

I think he needs a therapist. That empty suit of a man with the deep tan, heavy drinking and maybe medication is in need of some serious counseling because he can't seem to keep it together. We have heard a lot of conflicting information and seen bizarre behavior enough to think that somebody should get him a doctor.

Posted by: withersb | December 13, 2010 12:55 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: georges2

The Democrats don't understand this emotion because they have no hearts.
------------------------------------------

Ha, ha. Liberals are bleeding hearts until one of their own starts blubbering and then liberals are heartless. And up is down, black is white...

Posted by: rgray | December 13, 2010 1:01 PM | Report abuse

Totally agree with Jonathan. His heart has the human beat
the country needs. President Obama will have a great partner to work for the future of the children we all care about, except the coldblood ones who only care about their grotesque wallets.

Posted by: manittou | December 13, 2010 1:07 PM | Report abuse

didn't Obama cry the night before the election? who cares?
He seemed sincere- something that DC and the congress is certainly lacking

Posted by: blevins20061 | December 13, 2010 1:14 PM | Report abuse

He can't be all that misty, after being the bulwark againt Democrat Bolshevism these passed two yeras, and then presiding over the biggest Democrat thrashing since the 30s. Cry us a Democrat extinction next time round, so we'll keep the mushy Boehner, while he gives Obama and the Democrat party the bruising boner. Capecart will sure to love the last part.

Posted by: hared | December 13, 2010 1:16 PM | Report abuse

Man up, Boehner! Man up!

Posted by: uche05 | December 13, 2010 1:16 PM | Report abuse

Boehner needs to take a look at schoolchildren and remember that many of them are bullied because they are gay or at least 'look' gay, many are going hungry because of his politics of 'no' denying them school lunch funding, many of them are sick because of his politics of 'no' denying them health care...and we could go on. We don't believe your crocodile tears Boehner, not for one minute, not for one second....

Posted by: 10bestfan | December 13, 2010 1:17 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: skinswitabullet.
"Heavily medicated, depressed and a drinker."

Years in The Closet will do that to you. At least he doesn't hang around schoolyards anymore.

Posted by: thebobbob | December 13, 2010 1:21 PM | Report abuse

John Boehner's version of the American Dream is a sick, twisted horror of special interest perks, tax breaks and loopholes for millionaires, Jim Crow, gay bashing, xenophobia, and selling the American people down the drain for personal gain. I'd cry too. We're toast.

Posted by: 809212876 | December 13, 2010 1:32 PM | Report abuse

Oh does the truth hit you in the a.ahss! So people they ruled health reform unconstitutional so, they do not (Republicans) to give you a piece of cheese and a doughnut! So yeah this is a good one-cry baby crap!

Posted by: Scar1 | December 13, 2010 1:34 PM | Report abuse

Don't believe in the crocodile tears from the party of 'no'!
Mr B please tell us all about what you are doing for school children who:
don't have enough to eat
don't have health care
are bullied because they are/or look gay?
.....er nothing right?!
Like I said , keep you crocodile tears, and your false assertion that you care about anyone other than yourself.....

Posted by: 10bestfan | December 13, 2010 1:34 PM | Report abuse

I have to agree with Capehart, and wondered myself last night after watching the interview....kids in America don't stand a chance of doing what Boehner did with education being what it is, and with the corps running everything from hiring to elections. So many obstacles now that Boehner et al did not face, and he cries? Try working for the middle class, and helping those kids get a break, sir.

Posted by: tootsie11 | December 13, 2010 1:35 PM | Report abuse

Cry baby crap indeed. And so they do not intend to do the common people any favors. The regjected health reform and so, that conspiracy theory not too far from truth. They intend to dismantle anything President Obama does. Its pure racism.

Posted by: Scar1 | December 13, 2010 1:37 PM | Report abuse

There are statistics that are pretty convincing that people tend to find work when their unemployment insurance runs out. There are two possible reasons for this. (1) They enjoy the vacation paid for by the American taxpayers, or (2) they get less picky. I feel for anyone without a job, and especially for one who is legitimately trying, but can't find work. But, the problem is that for every one who is willing to work, there are three who fit into the two categories above.

Posted by: genericrepub | December 13, 2010 1:40 PM | Report abuse

I'd bet that when he was distributing those tobacco industry checks to his republican colleagues in the halls of congress, he sure as heck wasn't crying, probably just LHAO all the way to the bank. Wow, what a bunch we got now!

Posted by: likovid | December 13, 2010 1:42 PM | Report abuse

The guy just gave you ingrates tax cuts, tax breaks and months of unemployment checks that the Democrat party is trying to reject. If anyone else was in his shoes and taking the ingratitude that he's receiving from some of you ingrates, there would be buckets of tears falling around the place. What's going to happen when the Boner, I mean the Boehner, really does says no more Mr Nice Guy. Sheesh.

Posted by: hared | December 13, 2010 1:49 PM | Report abuse

Isn't this the same guy who was calling the middle income tax cuts chicken crap? So he can cry at the prospect of visiting a school but will ridicule the thought of approving unemployment insurance for families that are about to get thrown out in the street in this terrible weather. Where is his heart and sensitivity then?..God save America!

Posted by: Obamarama1 | December 13, 2010 1:53 PM | Report abuse

Hey, teary one, how 'bout one big tear for the deficit that the "common ground" you found, regarding tax-cuts for millionaires, will place on the children that will have no chance in "heck" of attaining the American Dream?

Nice work, John!!!

Thank about it, Mr. Speaker-elect....

Posted by: ur-quattro | December 13, 2010 1:54 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Obamarama1 | December 13, 2010 1:54 PM | Report abuse

Well it could be worse. Having Boehner second in line is better then Palin, although their both pretty insincere

Posted by: sammsammus | December 13, 2010 1:56 PM | Report abuse

That's right Jonathan, if it weren't for the helping hand of the federal government, we'd all be crying and living in cardboard boxes under the nearest bridge. I wonder if their liberal helpers have told the long-term unemployed that many employers won't even consider hiring people who have been content to live off their government hand-out for more than a few months?

It's a sick philosophy: find someone to blame, feel sorry for yourself, and tell yourself you deserve to live off counterfeit US Dollars, printed by the Fed to prop up the delusion that employment is "a right, not a privilege". Stick with it long enough, and no doubt a government job will open up for you eventually...in China.

Posted by: thomas777 | December 13, 2010 2:08 PM | Report abuse

Bohner is more a b!tch than a b!tch. Man up!

Posted by: southside2 | December 13, 2010 2:13 PM | Report abuse

I think overtanning and too much booze cause emotional problems.

Posted by: cmsatown | December 13, 2010 2:13 PM | Report abuse

When did the American dream become being a billionaire or even a millionaire. For most it is a steady safe job that provide a decent home for family and and enough income for kids educations. Everyone wants a few fish in the rivers and lakes and some clean sand at the beach. Get real Boehner. You dream is a lie.

Posted by: chucko2 | December 13, 2010 2:16 PM | Report abuse

Barbara Walters led the ladies of The View this morning in making fun of John Boehner's crying on 60 Minutes: http://gtcha.me/gYwQFz

Posted by: mjwilstein | December 13, 2010 2:20 PM | Report abuse

This isn't World War II or something, so there's no call for all of these tears. We need strong leaders in D.C. They guy needs to get strong or step aside for someone who is.

Posted by: RealTexan1 | December 13, 2010 2:20 PM | Report abuse

Perhaps a Peron?

"I know you think I'm the same just with fancy clothes, but I was poor and did what I wanted, but I've changed and fame and wealth just happened to come with it. You loved me when I was wild and crazy and I need you to love me when I'm sedate and respectable."

Posted by: ohwell1 | December 13, 2010 2:21 PM | Report abuse

What a freaking whimp Boner is! All he does is cry, cry, cry! I am sick of seeing him cry!

Hey Boner, you need to MAN UP! Here you are, third in line to the Presidency, and you look miserable and weak! You aren't crying because you care about other kids, so get off THAT shstick! What a phoney, you don't belong in Congress! If you were running for office shedding tears with that contorted face, you would LOSE!

We are depressed enough without looking at Boner the WHIMP! MAN UP!

Posted by: cashmere1 | December 13, 2010 2:25 PM | Report abuse

He was more entertaining in "Auto Tune the News 6."

Posted by: mattintx | December 13, 2010 2:25 PM | Report abuse

Hey Boner, you need to MAN UP! I watched you on 60 Minutes last night and was thoroughly disgusted! Here you are, third in line to the Presidency, and you look miserable and weak!

You aren't crying because you care about other kids, so get off THAT shstick! What a phoney, you don't belong in Congress! If you were running for office shedding tears with that contorted face, you would LOSE! If you really care about other kids, show us! All you care about is yourself!

We are depressed enough without looking at Boner the WHIMP! MAN UP!

Posted by: cashmere1 | December 13, 2010 2:27 PM | Report abuse

I am a coward because I can't bring myself to watch Boehner, my stomach turns, my knees knock, my spine shivers, my eyes twitch, my fingernails ache, my gums bleed, my teeth chatter. I start crying uncontrolably like a scared child, like a weepy little girl, like a screeching pig waiting for the knife to fall. Elect me! I would fit in beautifully with the teapublican leadership.

Posted by: RoyFan | December 13, 2010 2:30 PM | Report abuse

I'm sure everyone criticizing Boehner could easily handle the pressure of being Speaker of the House... I can't stand Pelosi but I give her credit for taking on a high pressure position that never seems to relent...

Posted by: mockymock | December 13, 2010 2:36 PM | Report abuse

I would much rather have a sincere and humble and yes crying Boehner making decisions than a stark eyed, push it down your throat, Pelosi who tells people to vote on a bill and find out what is in it later.

Posted by: policywiz | December 13, 2010 2:38 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: policywiz | December 13, 2010 2:38 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: policywiz | December 13, 2010 2:38 PM | Report abuse

Boehner is unstable-in other words the perfect Republican candidate!

Posted by: crossroadsnow | December 13, 2010 2:41 PM | Report abuse

Hahahahahahahaha !!!Leave it to "The View"! Joy Behar calls him "The Weeper of the House"!! Now THAT is going to STICK!

What a wimp Boner is. I agree that he has an emotional problem. Maybe he is on depressants to keep him from screaming out "HELL NO WE CAN'T" the way he did last month! Depressants and alcohol.... bad mix! Boner is maudlin and weak!

Boner, the "Weeper of the House" is out of control. Leslie Stahl could hardly keep from laughing out loud because his crying was so ridiculous!

Posted by: cashmere1 | December 13, 2010 2:47 PM | Report abuse

Gee, maybe boozy Boehner should save those tears for two years from now.

Posted by: LABC | December 13, 2010 2:49 PM | Report abuse

Americans aren't used to "real" people apparently. Boehner is one politician who can identify with real poverty and has struggled and faced obstacles his entire life.
Pelosi and Obama, elitists-- seem more like zombies. They're so out of touch with real Americans they really don't have a clue.

Posted by: ohioan | December 13, 2010 2:51 PM | Report abuse

I personally thought Boehner was a buffoon crying over "stop Obama at any cost". I still think he is one and will continue to do so until my rights to so express are restrained. I also seriously doubt the republicans he leads have the interest of the average American public at heart. Controlling the deficit with tax cuts to the rich is unconscionable. People refer to it as the Bush cuts for the wealthy, but historically it is the Reagan Tax Cuts for the Wealthy. Look where that got us. The stock market fall of ’87 and then the Savings and Loan fiasco made it the blueprint for 2008 market dump and the banking crisis for what is going on now. That happened because of the Bush cuts supported by the then republican controlled house. China started its financing of its incredible economy on the money borrowed to pay for those tax cuts. And now, with this crowned clown of congress, we get to start a cycle all over again.
Boehner knows where his re-election funding comes from and he is a pimp because of it.

Posted by: sd-mouth1 | December 13, 2010 2:54 PM | Report abuse

The Democrats don't understand this emotion because they have no hearts.

Posted by: georges2
***************************

LOL!OMG, I hope the facility let you out for play time in the yard...

That you buy that inside the beltway, booze soaked, walking special interest's crying act is clearly why the state was right to add time to your sentence.

Posted by: LABC | December 13, 2010 2:59 PM | Report abuse

In the first "60 Minutes" interview we hear the third in line to be President tell us how hard it was growing up. It seems that he and his 10 siblings had to help clean up Dad's store every weekend. That makes him cry, to think how far he rose from being the son of a small business man. How disadvantaged! So he now acts like it is all hanging by a thread and he cries about kids -- presumably including those whose parent he want to cut off from Unemployment Insurance.

Then we hear from zillionaire Jerry Jones who -- regardless of all of his obscene wealth -- is insecure because he fears that, in that he doesn't have college degree,it might all go away!

If these guys are the face of conservatism, I think I am getting a clearer picture of why the Republicans were prepared to hold the entire lame duck session hostage to tax cuts for the rich. I saw neither strength of character or courage in either.

Posted by: tradeczar | December 13, 2010 3:02 PM | Report abuse

John Boehner will soon be 2nd in the line of succession to the Presidency. OK, so maybe he's a maudlin drunk, but has anybody seen his birth certificate?

Sure, he says he was born in Ohio, but how many Ohioans have such dark orange skin? Some are asking if was really born in Pakistan.

So where is his birth certificate?

Posted by: HughBriss | December 13, 2010 3:03 PM | Report abuse

Ahh you liberal Dems...still stings doesn't it...at least this guy will never say something as moronic as "we have to pass it, to know what's in it"...what an a**-clown and thank God you're keeping her around!

Posted by: mjandrews8 | December 13, 2010 3:04 PM | Report abuse

I agree with the post pointing out that John Boehner's family owned a business. In a lot of places, the small business owners are the community leaders. They have good steady incomes, etc. His parents weren't "hard scrabble" farmers, nursing aides in assisted living, etc.

Obama lived in a 2-bedroom apt. with his grandparents. Biden's family didn't have money. Clinton is from a single-parent family. Sarah Palin did not come from money. I am sure there are lots of other elected officials who also came from non-privileged backgrounds.

Is Boehner wallowing in self-pity because he wants lots of attention for being the bootstraps hero?

Posted by: foxtrot1 | December 13, 2010 3:07 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: ohioan
*********************
Ohio has a 9.5% unemployment - yeah, Boehner is really doing his share as your representative. I bet for you "real" people roll up their brooks brothers shirt sleeves and cry, right?

Posted by: LABC | December 13, 2010 3:07 PM | Report abuse

New Term: "Bleeding Heart Conservative"

"Jesus" = tears
"Supporting The Troops" = tears
"Small Town America" = tears

Sentimentality is for the weak. I don't want my politician to make me feel good inside, I want them to get the damned problem solved.

Posted by: DCSNARK | December 13, 2010 3:11 PM | Report abuse

Boehner is a Jackwagon from Mambi Pambi land! Tissue? Cry baby.

Posted by: DCSportsfanatic1 | December 13, 2010 3:11 PM | Report abuse

Boehner is an orange skinned jackwagon from mambi pambi land. Tissue? Crybaby

Posted by: DCSportsfanatic1 | December 13, 2010 3:15 PM | Report abuse

Oh, please. This is the guy who distributed checks from Big Tobacco on the House floor. His manufactured tears didn't stop him then, did they.

Skip the sideshow. Talk about his influence peddling. That'd be a good start for a conversation that wasn't a total waste of time.

Posted by: jpk1 | December 13, 2010 3:18 PM | Report abuse

So where is his birth certificate?

Posted by: HughBriss | December 13, 2010 3:03 PM | Report abuse

Hugh, I agee but I have a different version:

I'm pretty sure he is going to be in Avatar II The Orange People. These are the ones who protect the tree of his republican ancestors: The medicated, depressed and alcoholic.

Boehner and his supporters, I see you ( ;

Posted by: DCSportsfanatic1 | December 13, 2010 3:24 PM | Report abuse

Pullleeease! OK - so what' s next? He won't visit workers with dead-end jobs with inadequate education and no healthcare because they don't have decent prospects? How about also bawing at the idea of never paying down the debt!

Posted by: LibDemLibDemLibDem | December 13, 2010 3:27 PM | Report abuse

The Weeper of the House ! LOL. Love it !

He's probably a bed wetter too.

Freaking cry baby girly man !

I guess this is the Republican idea of a "strong" leader -- one who wallows in self-pity.

Posted by: lindalovejones | December 13, 2010 3:30 PM | Report abuse

My brother had estrogen treatments for cancer. The estrogen caused him to cry all the time. He's an attorney. He told me stories of how he made crying work for him during trials.

I wonder if the same thing is going on with Boehner. Anybody know?

Posted by: sherryjblair | December 13, 2010 3:31 PM | Report abuse

The guy hasn't even taken office as Speaker yet and already the media is taking cheap-shots at him. lol.

With 15% of Americans out of work (8.9% officially) somebody's got to feel it. If Boehner didn't feel for them and the next generation then we'd be talking about these same numbers two years down the track in our dispassionate unfeeling texts. lol.

I consider myself a monster for having to wait out here in the middle of nowhere until Boehner takes office as Speaker before I can pitch-in and help (I'll have to side-step and by-pass the State Department, maybe the boys and girls at Langley can help, DOD has not been helpful), because everyday real people out there in America, your friends, your neighbors, are going through living hell, until those of us who are supposed to fix the economy actually fix it. We can all do better...;-).

So you can do better than cheap-shots Mr. Capehart, report some news if you have anything useful, which I am sure a smart young man like you must have. lol.

Posted by: darkasnight1234 | December 13, 2010 3:32 PM | Report abuse

He should be crying when he talks about what the democrats have done to the country the past 2 years. That would be appropriate.

I don't have so much trouble with him crying, just the timing of it.

Posted by: aicohn | December 13, 2010 3:32 PM | Report abuse

I spent 3 years at Ohio State doing my PhD...went all around the state...never saw an orange man (who cries spontaneously) ever in that state. Did he cry for the 99ers, the 9-11 first responders, or the victims in Hati...cries for himself only. And, I too worked my way through school.

He is a fake

Posted by: fairness3 | December 13, 2010 3:33 PM | Report abuse

There's no crying in politics.

Posted by: pezbb | December 13, 2010 3:34 PM | Report abuse

There's no cyring in politics.

Posted by: pezbb | December 13, 2010 3:36 PM | Report abuse

He is a fake

Posted by: fairness3 | December 13, 2010 3:36 PM | Report abuse

Boehner is about as convincing with the crying act as he is in that claim he has the American people's best interest at heart. Maybe he does if your last name is Corporation or your middle name is Bank.

Americans deserve better than this McConnell-Boehner led GOP. You people ARE the problem.

Posted by: BigTrees | December 13, 2010 3:37 PM | Report abuse

Great! A Speaker with a neuroloical disorder.

Posted by: elwoll | December 13, 2010 3:44 PM | Report abuse

Great! A Speaker with a neuroloical disorder.

Posted by: elwoll | December 13, 2010 3:45 PM | Report abuse

Here are the possibilities:

1. Boehner is a pathetically bad actor and a hypocrite;

2. He was drunk;

3. He is mentally unstable

Since he is a conservative politician I would normally be inclined to believe he is just another lying hypocrite. But because he is now third in line for the presidency, I think he owes the country some guarantee that he is not an alcoholic or mentally unstable. He needs to submit to a psychiatric evaluation and urinalysis.

Posted by: codexjust1 | December 13, 2010 3:49 PM | Report abuse

There's a reason Mrs. B. never moved to DC. Did you catch the way she was rolling her eyes at his nonsense? Its a well-known dirty little non-secret that Boehner has a bigtime booze problem.

Posted by: nomorewholefoods | December 13, 2010 3:51 PM | Report abuse

What a cry baby and i mean that literally--and this guy is third in line for the nuclear trigger?

He looked like a dysfunctional mess last night.

Posted by: PennyWisetheClown | December 13, 2010 3:52 PM | Report abuse

I had to turn off 60 minutes last night when Boehner started crying. It was the most disgusting thing to see him start whimpering when his wife said he was proud of him, and when he started talking about growing up poor in Ohio. Come on...this is the same guy who was willing to cut off unemployment compensation for millions of Americans. He even cried on the floor of the House of Representatives

Posted by: karst | December 13, 2010 3:53 PM | Report abuse

Really this hard core rightist Republican is making mockery of compassion and sensitive feelings. If really his tears are true natural tears for his sufferings and his past, he should have been a champion of middle-class and poor rather than millionaires and billionaires. He is a hypocrite when he is crying for his poverty and sufferings but advocating more and more loop holes and benefits for rich people and that too at cost of poor.
He will make mockery of his powerful position in coming days. He should note that right wing Republicans are heartless; Even Bush and Cheney did not cry killings more than million innocents and Obama may only shed crocodiles tears when innocents are getting killed by our arms and ammunition and bombs around the Globe; but will never CRY.

Posted by: citysoilverizonnet | December 13, 2010 3:53 PM | Report abuse

I think he must've been drunk.

I am a professional woman. If I was given to bawling all the time at work, I would probably not have a job. People would think I was drunk, or unstable, or hormonal, or hysterical.

Being professional means you suck up your personal stuff and act like a grownup, not like a bawl-baby.

Besides, all this crying is starting to look mightily contrived to me.

Posted by: slavicdiva | December 13, 2010 3:58 PM | Report abuse

I think Mr. Speaker needs to grow a pair.

Posted by: koolaukid | December 13, 2010 4:00 PM | Report abuse

It's not good. Glenn Beck teaching fake emotion to manipulate.

Posted by: elliottworks | December 13, 2010 4:01 PM | Report abuse

He cries when contemplating a visit to a school because he wants everyone to have a chance at the American dream?

Isn't this rather extreme?

What will he do when he contemplates enacting the Republican agenda?

Commit suicide?

Posted by: FemaleVoter | December 13, 2010 4:02 PM | Report abuse

Funny. I cry everytime I think of him occupying the position of Speaker of the House. Let's hope he stays sober and a good shade of orange for the two years he will have the position.

Posted by: PepperDr | December 13, 2010 4:04 PM | Report abuse

Disgusting Amoral Hypocrisy!

That's a FACT! He simply cannot be stupid enough to believe that he is doing ANYTHING to give our children a chance at a decent life-style. His political actions OBVIOUSLY support his McConnell type Wealthy Corporate millionaire slaves! Downright AMORAL Hypocrisy!
Disgusting!

Posted by: lufrank1 | December 13, 2010 4:11 PM | Report abuse

American Dream...not so much...the dude is 100% a tool of corporate America is more like it and clearly mentally unstable! If Pelosi had done anything like that she would have been run out of town!

Posted by: jeffcoud2 | December 13, 2010 4:14 PM | Report abuse

Republicans are screwed. 1) A "weeper" of the House 2) Caribou Barbie 3) a Witch and 4) a National Chairman that spends money on lesbian bondage club entertainment. The GOP not only has strange bedfellows, but they are hypocritical, as well.

Posted by: jeanne021556 | December 13, 2010 4:25 PM | Report abuse

The rich pay for every qualified family to recieve free care,food and rent.Every one is able to access grants,free attorneys,even free child care.They pay also for the complete military budget.unemployment is paid by business not the government.And california needs to pay Obama back for the extensions.Meaning business in calif has to pay it to the state.So business in calif is going to be even more expensive.So shut up and go tax women spitting little jesus [no father]

Posted by: jmounday | December 13, 2010 4:26 PM | Report abuse

Actually, Boehner's problem is projection. He can dish hate out all the time but he just cannot take any comment that he FEELS makes him look less than the genius he THINKS he is. So to prove the point others had already made, he has a public cry.

If Boehner spent half as much time listening to and serving the needs of the 98% of Americans who are not multi-millionaires as he does playing golf, working on his tan, or accepting payoffs from corporate lobbyists, then he might have a valid reason to cry -- the public is hurting because of the self-serving obstructionism of the Republicans in Congress.

Posted by: DrainYou | December 13, 2010 4:28 PM | Report abuse

The rich pay for every qualified family to recieve free care,food and rent.Every one is able to access grants,free attorneys,even free child care.They pay also for the complete military budget.unemployment is paid by business not the government.And california needs to pay Obama back for the extensions.Meaning business in calif has to pay it to the state.So business in calif is going to be even more expensive.So shut up and go tax women spitting out little baby's for me to support.32% of californias population.

Posted by: jmounday | December 13, 2010 4:29 PM | Report abuse

Can excess melanin break down in to estrogen and byproducts? Seems the most likely cause.

Posted by: irae | December 13, 2010 4:31 PM | Report abuse

I, too, would cry if I had attained power in the fashion he has.

Posted by: rusty3 | December 13, 2010 4:37 PM | Report abuse

Now, c'mon! The heavily orange-brown covering of his skin is done to keep US from being disgusted by the facial blotches that appear as alcohol-caused skin coloration. You see how truly concerned he is for others? And he cries because he truly cares for all those poor, poor fellow republican congressmen who need his help in distributing their welfare checks from the tobacco industry lobbyists.

Posted by: tfsinn | December 13, 2010 4:39 PM | Report abuse

I was impressed Boehner's tan-in-a-can didn't run.

Seriously, Reps are also yammering about the unmanly Dems and how they should "man up." Well, take your own advice.

Posted by: arancia12 | December 13, 2010 4:43 PM | Report abuse

Theocons need to send this guy to Provo, Utah, where the Mormons patented a special sensor to determine if he's gay when shown homosexual pornography - or maybe DADT applies to Congress as well.

Posted by: areyousaying | December 13, 2010 4:46 PM | Report abuse

Its obvious that most of you are probably under 50 and haven't had the life expierences a man can have. No one knows what Mr. Boehner has gone through to reach where he is now. Unlike Pelosi, he worked his way up and unlike Obama, he paid for his own college. He's just a sentimental guy. And like most conservatives, he has a radically different view than the democrats of how the country should be run.

The Republicans won. Get over it.

Posted by: nickca1 | December 13, 2010 4:55 PM | Report abuse

Boehner's crying is in stark contrast to Speaker Nancy Pelosi, who never sheds a tear. Of course, in her case that's because her tear ducts were surgically removed in the process of her botched eye job.

Posted by: Rob_ | December 13, 2010 5:02 PM | Report abuse

Crocodile tears. Boehner is as insincere as they come. This is all theater.

Posted by: greeenmtns | December 13, 2010 5:11 PM | Report abuse

It seems Capehart got off the subject of DADT real fast !! How about a column on the things that Obama has done for his base? Oh wait..there are NONE !!

Posted by: maddogjts | December 13, 2010 5:14 PM | Report abuse

PErhaps he's crying because HE didn't get the keys to the Republican party for a joy ride... The Religious Right did, The NRA did, and so did the Neo-Cons.... Now it's Sarah Palin's turn....No joy for this guy, though....If "I" were him, I'd be crying because my name and identity was closely tied to the Republican party.. a Vehicle that acts as a taxi service for crazies, extremists and ideologues in the process of flaming out.... Well kid-o, keep those tears coming...(Not that I'm buying the act, but a Republican in tears warms my heart like nothing else can.)

Posted by: BellsBlu2 | December 13, 2010 5:19 PM | Report abuse

One of two things is going on with him:

He's in mambi pambi land. Tissue? Crybaby!

or

He is an orange avatar and they just cut down his tree of happiness (i.e. meds/ alcohol/antideppressants). I see you ( ;

Posted by: DCSportsfanatic1 | December 13, 2010 5:22 PM | Report abuse

Well, after that interview, he'll never get elected president. I can just hear him now, "Mr. Putin, your military interference in this purely American issue makes me so angry and sad that.............booooooo hooooo hooooooo!"

Maybe they should remake that Geico commercial with the drill seargent/therapist with Boehner on the couch. Crybaby!

Posted by: cliffdweller | December 13, 2010 5:22 PM | Report abuse

"Its [sic] obvious that most of you are probably under 50 and haven't had the life expierences [sic] a man can have."

I haven't had the ones that can wreck a man's liver and make him reach for the tan-in-a-can to mask the jaundice. Is that what you meant?

Posted by: mattintx | December 13, 2010 5:28 PM | Report abuse

The man is pathalogical. Men who just burst into tears for no apparent reason (He can't visit schools and watch kids running around??!!) are pathalogical. They are like the "Dexter" character who inappropriately picks an emotion to emote when he thinks it is called for, and sometimes picks just a little wrong or off-kilter for the situation.

He's major big-time scary, and it is telling. No wonder he can do so much damage to the children of this country and have no real compunctions about it.

Posted by: nadinem | December 13, 2010 5:42 PM | Report abuse

I'm not sure I want someone so unstable in such an important position. Think of the cartoon possibilities or the Saturday Night Live skits to follow. Is this the best we've got?

Posted by: dannykurland1 | December 13, 2010 5:57 PM | Report abuse

*******************************************
He is a few heartbeats away from the nuclear trigger. isn't that a pleasant thought.

Someone posted before about him taking drug and physiological testing--i think that would be a good start because this guy is seriously messed up.

Posted by: PennyWisetheClown | December 13, 2010 5:58 PM | Report abuse

John Boehner's theme song: the classic American standard, "Cry Me a River" by either Julie London or Ella Fitzgerald (for whom the song was originally written.)

Runners-up include:

Little Anthony and the Imperials' "Tears On My Pillow"

Leslie Gore's "It's My Party (and I'll Cry If I Want To.)"

Roy Orbison's "Crying."

Smokey Robinson and the Miracles' "The Tracks of My Tears."

Favorite shampoo: No More Tears.

Favorite Movie: The Crying Game

Posted by: jade_7243 | December 13, 2010 5:59 PM | Report abuse

I don't think he's unstable - I think he can cry on cue.

Posted by: RosemaryA | December 13, 2010 6:13 PM | Report abuse

LOL. Like all closed minded liberals, Capeheart equates his policy views with true compassion.

The arrogance and intolerance of liberals is laughable. It is not enough to share their goals, you must share their preferred means or you don't care about people. What nonsense.

Posted by: bobmoses | December 13, 2010 6:14 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: bobmoses | December 13, 2010 6:15 PM | Report abuse

If you have a need to chastise the man over his tears, you're a typical,hypocritical liberal ass. Why can't a good therapist pipe in here? It takes strength, yes strength, as a man in our society, to allow himself this. He feels things strongly. It is not a sign of weakness. As an adult reading this column, you should have enough brains by now to be able to differentiate when a person is being a big baby, as opposed to when a person is crying because he or she is moved by circumstances. I swear, you liberals baffle the hell out of me. It's reasons like this (among countless others) I just can't ever come around to seeing things your way. Hell, it's not even that I agree with everything conservatives stand for, but there is just something so ugly about the liberal perspective and how it's cloaked in sanctimonious and condescending self-righteousness.

Posted by: danno10 | December 13, 2010 6:19 PM | Report abuse

We certainly have dual standards: If Obama cried as often and in public as this guy does, people would crucify him. They would argue, rightfully, that he cannot shed those kind of tears in the presence of foreign leaders, for gawd's sake. The soon-to-be Speaker's malady is going to turn out to be another major embarrassment for this country.

Posted by: janna2 | December 13, 2010 6:21 PM | Report abuse

rlj wrote:"He's a hypocrite. His tears would mean something if he actually did something to make sure ALL the children had a shot at the American dream. He’s crying because he knows with his party in charge those other children do not have a chance at the American dream and he can’t look them in the face."

So true. You're saying exactly what I'm thinking.

Posted by: Liberty77 | December 13, 2010 6:24 PM | Report abuse

What did you expect from a Teabagger pansey?

I hope you folks don't really think this is a stunt like it is for Glenn Beck. Boener is a pathetic little pussy just like the rest of the Republicans in congress.

They crying is just a reflection of the lack of manhood he factually suffers from.

Posted by: captainkona | December 13, 2010 6:27 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: valerie14 | December 13, 2010 6:32 PM | Report abuse

Is it true that men who cry easily are also bed wetters?

John "Weeper of the House" Boner is a wimp. He needs to get a grip because he looks more and more like a girly man! Bet he loves to wear silk underwear!

Posted by: cashmere1 | December 13, 2010 6:45 PM | Report abuse

*******************************************

Come on just say it you know you want to.

Repeat after me
My leader is one of those girlie men but that's ok.

You know you want to.

Posted by: PennyWisetheClown | December 13, 2010 6:45 PM | Report abuse

give the crook a break whiners. tears from a politician are all part of the game

Posted by: pofinpa | December 13, 2010 7:03 PM | Report abuse

Sorry, but I found it creepy. The way his faced screwed up that time--that wasn't an act. That was sheer CreepOut Time.

Funny how none of the comments I've read so far refer back to the "Hell no, you can't!" act that Boehner pulled during the Heath Care debate (and we could and did). If you recall that, you may make note that these crying incidents are not the only evidence of some weird emotionalism coming from this guy.

Two deaths away from the Presidency. Wow. Can anyone here imagine Obama, in spite of his obvious love for his daughters and wife, breaking down into tears over, say, their loss due to a suicide bomber...while the country waited for him to lead them out of the mess? Absolutely unimaginable to anyone not crazed by hate. But Boehner? EASY to imagine.

I hope over time the creepy feeling I have about this guy disappears, but I'm a bit worried that things have been hidden from the public about this one. He's been in Congress a mighty long time, y'know, and it's well known how he kowtows with lobbyists and other power brokers. Useful guy--useful enough to be protected by some might big coverups.

Posted by: pasc1 | December 13, 2010 7:10 PM | Report abuse

I've been seeing all his "emotions" spilling out, tears everywhere. Seriously, I think this man needs therapy. Fast.

Posted by: abbydelabbey | December 13, 2010 7:18 PM | Report abuse

jade_7243, you forgot Smokey Robinson and the Miracles: Tears of a Clown.

Posted by: arancia12 | December 13, 2010 7:20 PM | Report abuse

What happened to John Boehner that he's forgotten what it's like to pursue the American dream? What, really wealthy people need to pay less a percentage of their income toward taxes than I because... They'll spend more (they don't need more, and can easily afford anything they want anyway)? They'll create jobs (they haven't so far, "waiting" to have greater confidence in the economy and instead socking away their yearly bonuses into overseas accounts)? While there's evidence that societies that tax their citizens less have more productive economies, there's nothing proving that taxing the wealthiest citizens less than everyone else will help. I made my way on my own, too. I'm trying to help my children through college finding it increasingly difficult with the taxes I pay and the state of public schools, those that I can "afford" for my children. Should I -- single mom, renting an apartment because I cannot afford a home -- pay more than Wall Street yahoos (bailout boo hoos) -- as a percentage of my income -- to taxes, to fund wars I thought were ill-advised? Tax breaks for the wealthy? While I struggle to pay for college tuitions? And I, as a Federal employee (who does not get mega gifts from lobbyists the way you do) will accept a pay freeze to help the economy -- the answer is, yes I will (willingly, to do my part). Mr. Boehner I KNOW you're not crying for me, and I won't cry for you either. I wish I could vote in your state because your crying a__ would be out of a job. Oh and I don't compromise either (what's that all about...? Like the Fonz from Happy Days, unwilling to admit being wrong? That requires coolness, which you -- blubbering man -- do not have). I would LOVE to see you make it from scratch in today's economy, you heartless, tearful, on-the-lobbyist dole jerk.

Posted by: VirginiaReader1 | December 13, 2010 7:24 PM | Report abuse

I'm visualizing Boehner tearing up while imagining poor little Jamie Dimon, Lloyd Blankfein and the Koch brothers holding out their tin cups saying "Please sir, may I have another round of tax cuts?"

There's NO evidence that the Bush tax cuts produce jobs. All it does is reward crony capitalism and a lack of risk-taking investments.

In fact, there is abundant evidence since WWII that it is precisely HIGHER taxes on the upper brackets produce jobs. To avoid those taxes, or minimize the loss, rich people set about investing in higher return and higher risk investments - typically new industries that grow jobs and make the US a dominant player.

Watch Tuesday's meeting between Obama and 20 CEOs. What do you want to bet that none will commit to investing in job growth in the US? I've been pitching at least 2 of these firms for strategic partnership deals, and both are literally sitting on their money and buying back their stock rather than growing their businesses.

Posted by: boscobobb | December 13, 2010 7:33 PM | Report abuse

Boehner and the rest of the GOP are actors of the first magnitude... They would want the status quo and we can't afford that anymore. The GOP do not care about working people or the middle class. Their record proves it.

Posted by: dwdave67 | December 13, 2010 7:34 PM | Report abuse

"Cares too much about kids in schools not being able to achieve the American dream? I don't think so--doesn't Boehner know actions speak louder than words?"

Oh, please, someone ask him just what he's done to help those kids! ALL of them, not just the ones from Leave It To Beaver "traditional" families.

Posted by: pasc1 | December 13, 2010 7:36 PM | Report abuse

Folks, whay all the discussion? The man is a well know BOOZER. I think it's either Rob Roy's or better yet a Martini Man!! Great, just what we need as the new "Weeper of the House". You probably have to get him in the morning(if he's not to hungover) because after "lunch", God only knows what you'll be getting. A crying mess or a ranting, raving idiot throwing documents around. BUT saying all that, he fits right in with the new class of teapublicans. Unstable,lunatic. God help us!!

Posted by: Kdiff7 | December 13, 2010 7:43 PM | Report abuse

There's a word for Boehner, and it rhymes with rag.

Posted by: paul65 | December 13, 2010 7:47 PM | Report abuse

There's a word for Boehner, and it rhymes with rag.

*********************************************
You don't mean he is a girlie man do you?

Posted by: PennyWisetheClown | December 13, 2010 7:50 PM | Report abuse

There's a word for Boehner, and it rhymes with rag.

*********************************************
Say it ain't so he cant be a girlie man he is against DADT

Posted by: PennyWisetheClown | December 13, 2010 7:51 PM | Report abuse

Awwweee!!! Wook at those big bwue eyes, filled with tears. Little Joooohny is cryyyying!!!
WTH? I CAN'T BELIEVE THIS GUY CRYING LATELY SO MUCH. IS HE REALLY SO HAPPY AND CARING? we'll see.................

Posted by: BOBSTERII | December 13, 2010 7:55 PM | Report abuse

I know that this opinion is trying to portray Boehner as emotionally unstable, but I think the interview was great. The man is passionate about what he's doing. I tend to tear up when I hear a good story about someone overcoming the odds and succeeding. Heck, I almost teared up watching the interview. Boehner has a great history and will be a great speaker of the house. It's about time we had one.

Posted by: djl2357 | December 13, 2010 8:03 PM | Report abuse

This is just another example of the savage journalism of personal destruction that makes D.C. so dysfunctional. The liberal attack dogs are out because Boehner reveals a little humanity. Well being a human does not equate with weakness so don't underestimate him. Boehner has worked harder than 99% of the pampered elite journalist whose rich parents or government patrons paid their way through the liberal madrassas they call the ivy league. Those of us who overcame adversity like Boehner don't appreciate the patronizing attitude.

Posted by: pdogood | December 13, 2010 8:15 PM | Report abuse

This is just another example of the savage journalism of personal destruction that makes D.C. so dysfunctional. The liberal attack dogs are out because Boehner reveals a little humanity. Well being a human does not equate with weakness so don't underestimate him. Boehner has worked harder than 99% of the pampered elite journalists whose rich parents or government patrons paid their way through the liberal madrassas they call the ivy league. Those of us who overcame adversity like Boehner don't appreciate the patronizing attitude.

Posted by: pdogood | December 13, 2010 8:17 PM | Report abuse

pdog,
I don't care a whit about his tears.

Why is Boehner a traitor to his background? He's not creating opportunity for middle income kids with tax cuts for billionaires.

Note my comment up thread: Tax cuts for the top brackets HAVE NEVER created opportunity and job growth since 1980.

It's fallacious propaganda, underwritten by the wealthy to organizations like Heritage, AEI and Cato that tax cuts are good for the economy. There is NO evidence to support it.

Posted by: boscobobb | December 13, 2010 8:46 PM | Report abuse

Maybe the jerk has been taking lessons from Beck.

Posted by: jzelouise | December 14, 2010 1:11 AM | Report abuse

Yes, crocodile tears of a mega con man.

The trickle downers just keep playing American voters for saps and enough saps fall for it to let the government hating front men keep making America safe for price fixers, stock market manipulators and others who are simply taking everything including the kitchen sink from the American economy while producing nothing.

When you are writing about Boehner's tears, you are following his distraction, diverting attention from the fact that he, Boehner is set to take America with another giant round of the trickle downers' shell game - a hypnotic con job in which American voters hope to get the peanut, but in pseudo-conservative Boehner's shell game, even the peanut was stolen long ago!

Posted by: gradya3 | December 14, 2010 2:10 AM | Report abuse

There are medical conditions that can cause such frequent and seemingly out of proportion emotional upwellings. There are also medications that can cause this as a side effect. At this point, it seems such poor political theater, I can't help but wonder.

Posted by: Whys | December 14, 2010 2:33 AM | Report abuse

This dude is a tool. He can't even spell the word compromise let alone knows what it means. BTW media his name is pronounced "BOE ner" not "BAE ner". The letters OE are never pronounced like a long A. His name is just as he comes across in person - BONER!!!

Posted by: owsmokey | December 14, 2010 2:45 AM | Report abuse

Un-edited interview:

Stahl: On election night, what made you sad, what got to you that night?

Stahl: Why?

Boehner: No, seriously, I can't talk about it. My attorney says I can't talk about my case before the jury reaches a verdict...

Posted by: Terrorfied | December 14, 2010 4:39 AM | Report abuse

I don't care if he laughs or cries his way through his political life as long as he can stop the runaway train called Democratic Tax & Spend.

Posted by: williams3061 | December 14, 2010 6:27 AM | Report abuse

Why does it have to be "like I did"? How self-centered (narcissistic? arrogant?). Maybe some school kid will achieve the "American Dream" in some way other than John Boehner's way.

And what exactly is Boehner's dream? To be a 20-year Washington, inside-the-Beltway politician?

Posted by: gggg2 | December 14, 2010 6:30 AM | Report abuse

It is fine for real men to cry. However, as with other male criers like Glenn Beck, I'm afraid that those are alligator tears at best. And therefore a clear indicator that the ill-informed portions of our citizenry are being played for suckers.

Posted by: jburg1 | December 14, 2010 8:13 AM | Report abuse

he crys because he and the others take 3300.00 plus a week, not including their automatic raise for doing very little for the american people. They are so out of touch.

Posted by: cvcarl | December 14, 2010 8:54 AM | Report abuse

Mr. Blubber is just a country club lugubrious drunk," boo hoo my dad had a popular bar, we were so poor, sob". jeeze the guy has no concept of "hurting". He thinks the paper cut he grew up with is the equivelent of the mualing that is real poverty. I find him revolting.

Posted by: kevinleigh1 | December 14, 2010 9:52 AM | Report abuse

Most of these posts are from people who have no clue about Mr. Boehner. He is someone who is quite down-to-earth, still in touch with his small business friends in Ohio and truly someone who does care in Washington. I think the tears just show how passionate the man is and its not a sign of weakness. We all hope the best for the next generation, but what this generation is going to get is not a fair shake.

Posted by: mclockhart | December 14, 2010 10:28 AM | Report abuse

I am 28 years sober and this guy really needs to dry out...

Posted by: bdenkler | December 14, 2010 10:54 AM | Report abuse

"I can't go to a school anymore. I used to go to a lot of schools. And you see all these little kids running around. Can't talk about it."
Stahl: "Why?"
Boehner: "Making sure that these kids have a shot at the American Dream, like I did. It's important."????
You've gotta be kidding!"

Anyone with half an ounce worth of sense knows what Boehner and his party represent and have represented since the beginning of time, and what they will represent in our short and seemingly dark future...education is one of the first areas they try to destruct. Their effervescent hero, Reagan, got around serving the kids a vegetable in cafeterias by proclaiming packet ketchup a vegetable. Come on, this isn't rocket science, the republicans are sociopaths that funnel all possible funds to their rich puppetmasters, and have been doing so forever...Mr. NO has vowed to make Obama a 'one term president' many times...beware! This is the face of Dr. Evil, not Mr. Heartfelt Goodykoontz. He's refusing to help 911 first responders who are dying left and right and have lost their medical insurance. Touching indeed. If his tears are real,they aren't because he's feeling magnanimous for making sure the kids can be part of the American dream. He knows that his party will do everything in it's power to be certain those kids will never get a chance at anything but flipping burgers. He's either faking it, or somewhere down there there's still a fragment of empathy bubbling up through the void that greed creates. He can't walk into schools and face his victims, or look them in the eye because he knows he and his party are dedicated to their failure.

In a real democracy, those kids would have a good chance at attaining their dreams, as most kids in the civilized world do, and Boehner and his cohorts would be fipping burgers in prison where they belong, alongside their scumbag buddies Delay and Madoff.

Posted by: efrazee1 | December 17, 2010 7:50 PM | Report abuse

He is one scary guy. Bought by lobbyists, voting against the moral rights of the American public. And what's up the the blubbering???... I personally think he is unbalanced, and it frightens me to death to think he will be the House Majority Leader in January. God help us.

Posted by: arnurse | December 19, 2010 1:55 AM | Report abuse