Posted at 3:33 PM ET, 12/ 7/2010

Obama presser: the new normal?

By Jonathan Capehart

There was a snap to President Obama's voice today that reminded me of many a male (and the occasional female) relative when I was a kid -- the voice I heard before I was asked to go get my own switch for a bit of tough love. But unlike then, I thoroughly reveled in Obama's feisty press conference in the White House briefing room.

Obama didn't shy away from the deal he worked out with congressional Republicans that not only extended all the Bush tax cuts but also unemployment insurance and other tax provisions. He defended it against left-flank flak, saying that "a protracted political fight would be a bad deal for the economy. And it would be a bad deal for the American people." And the president didn't shy away from smacking around the Republicans. He constantly juxtaposed his concern for middle-class families with the GOP's support for "tax cuts for the wealthy," whose extension he described as "their Holy Grail. Their central economic doctrine."

I thought I was the only one watching a revived president until I read the following tweet early in the press conference.

@AaronPolkey Thinks the President's exasperated tone last night/right now RE: tax cut deal is what many [who care about such things] have been demanding.

Agreed. Obama was characteristically stern. But his words were sharp. And his eyes had that same laser-beam focus that always preceded the request that I take a walk outside. It was effective when I was a kid. It was effective today. And I hope last night and today are a harbinger of the new normal from the White House and this president.

By Jonathan Capehart  | December 7, 2010; 3:33 PM ET
Categories:  Capehart  | Tags:  Jonathan Capehart
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: White House on 2012 tax cut debate: bring it on
Next: Where was the tax duel we needed?

Comments

LOL

Pining for the days when your mesiah reined supreme?

He's a lame duck.

Posted by: FormerDemocrat | December 7, 2010 4:16 PM | Report abuse

He speaks so convincely, but the his words fall on deaf ears. We the working Class are fed up of him an Gongress an Big Business getting there way or the highway for us. The No Taxes for Middle Class is in disquise of sky High Gas prices that Obama himself ok'd this travisty for American Economy will collasped thanks to his greed an Gongress is out control Government!

Posted by: JWTX | December 7, 2010 4:19 PM | Report abuse

I'm not a liberal and I do care about the economy. The President added $1T to the deficit. Not one bridge will be repaired, one road built, one windmill built, or one person hired! Tax cuts and incentives are supply-side wishful thinking. Tax cuts and incentives created the 9.8% umemployment. They didn't work for Bush. They are not going to work for Obama. You can bet the Republicans will howl when the umemployment rate passes 10%! It will be Obama's fault, then! This policy drove us into the ditch and Obama will keep us there.

Posted by: LarryT1 | December 7, 2010 4:22 PM | Report abuse

For a minute, I thought Obama was going to triangulate, compromise, and become the leader for ALL the United States. Boy, was I wrong.

He continued his hyperpartisan rhetoric, where Republicans were hostage-takers, unwilling to budge, whose holy grail is tax cuts for the rich, and Obama was itching for a fight in the political battle against these bomb throwers.

There seems that there was no commity or bipartisanship, Obama just lost the battle.

Posted by: kitchendragon50 | December 7, 2010 4:22 PM | Report abuse

Get my smelling salt! I'm in complete agreement with Capehart. He is the sole adult in Washington, and theat includes teh press corps. He gave whiny liberal children a good spanking and conservative playground bullies a solid left punch today. And he shut the press corps up to the point you could hear a pin drop. It's about time!

Posted by: NMP1 | December 7, 2010 4:25 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, he was stern etc. but he just CAVED. I like the idea of him being snappy and strong, but he also has to stand up on the issues too.

Posted by: jonawebb | December 7, 2010 4:25 PM | Report abuse

BTW, was it not reported? Where was the Pearl Harbor Remembrance Day?

Posted by: kitchendragon50 | December 7, 2010 4:27 PM | Report abuse

BTW - Did the White House observe Pearl Harbor Remembrance Day?

Posted by: kitchendragon50 | December 7, 2010 4:29 PM | Report abuse

Mr. Capeheart, the Presdient's forceful tone last night and today is exactly what many of us have been looking for in him the past two years. Unfortunately, he chooses to use that forceful tone on those who have supported him for a long time now instead of on those who have done everything they can to block and impair his programs. When supporting him in 2008, I did not look for a messiah or someone who would implement a far left agenda. I did expect someone with the ability to stand up and help the nation and the people.

I am looking to see who will run against him in the primaries in early 2012. Hopefully it will be a Democrat with some courage and fortitude to go along with good ideas. Obama has certainly proven that without the first two characteristics, the last one is meaningless.

David McGee
Virginia

Posted by: dhmcgee | December 7, 2010 4:29 PM | Report abuse

Obama's words may be sharp, he may even have displayed a sort of fighting spirit. However it remains to be seen if those words are the "new normal" or simply cover up for a total and unconditional surrender. At the minimum his base should say "I am watching you".

Posted by: steviana | December 7, 2010 4:31 PM | Report abuse

Obama is telling the American public that he is going to borrow 700 billion dollars from the Chinese to give to the wealthy, at the expense of the middle class and the poor.

Obama has no spine, nor any principles. He has let down all those who voted for him one time too many.

If this is the new normal, we are doomed to failure.

Posted by: Chagasman | December 7, 2010 4:36 PM | Report abuse

President Obam:

Please keep up the same demeanor the next two years.

Please insult everyone at every opportunity.

Please act like you are the only one who's working to benefit the country.

Americans love petulant presidents.

Keep up the way you are and President Palin will let you play basketball at the WH gym after 2012.

Posted by: jfv123 | December 7, 2010 4:42 PM | Report abuse

Talk, talk, talk.

Posted by: Itzajob | December 7, 2010 4:50 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, he's like the stern parent who tells the smirking 10-year-old, "This is your last warning, and I really mean it this time!" Just before the kid, let's call him John or Mitch, rides the muddy bike through the living room again.

That 'scolding' he gave Republicans should have at least been coherent. Republicans didn't want tax cuts for the middle class extended, only for the rich? Is anyone so out of touch with reality that they believe that? And the tax cuts are bad, and imposed by those mean bullies in the GOP, but, after all, they WILL spur economic growth. So, why oppose them?

A really fatuous performance. No one was convinced, on either political side, except, apparently Jonathan Capehart.

Posted by: PigSkin | December 7, 2010 4:53 PM | Report abuse

You have got to be kidding me Capehart......everyone is calling for the Messiah's Head and you write this......You don't live on Earth do you!!!

Posted by: progrills | December 7, 2010 4:58 PM | Report abuse

Let's hope the new norm involves not just pet tax breaks and doling out money for votes to all concerned, they need to cooperate on the big issues, all this fuss about taxes that can change with the next Congress has been ridiculous, what will they do when they really have to tackle a problem,...unfortunately it seems like they will do nothing, one wonders how many "wave" elections we the people will need to be heard, get your act together and think about the future of our country past your next election cycle

Posted by: rckymtnmoose | December 7, 2010 5:03 PM | Report abuse

He's always talked a good game, but turns out he is just another Bush only articulate! Nothing he has done is acceptable and this latest capitulation, this appeasement is way, way over the line! He might as well change parties, and join the reactionary Christian Fascists of my former party!

Posted by: CHAOTICIAN101 | December 7, 2010 5:15 PM | Report abuse

Barry the incompetent boob Obama only becomes a human being when he is groveling before the Republicans. On your knees, Barry.

When Barry the inept bungler tries to run things his way, he is no more than a shaved ape.

Miserable failure Obama

Posted by: screwjob22 | December 7, 2010 5:16 PM | Report abuse

For everyone here complaining about Obama caving I ask the question do you think it would have been right to allow unemployment insurance expire for people, who need it. For everyone posting on this site who clearly don't give a damn about other Americans who are struggling you are the ones with the problem. I am fortunate to have job, but it doesn't mean that I don't feel for those that don't have a job. Obama decided as the President to look out for those who needed someone to look out for them. All of the politicans in Washington have a job, Obama choose to look out for those who don't!

Posted by: jhop1104 | December 7, 2010 5:21 PM | Report abuse

Obama is a complete sellout to the Republicans and super rich who are hell bent on destroying America and the American way of life. He is only "feisty" when attacking the "professional left" and always caves in meekly to the outrageous demands of the ultra-right super rich. He is a zero, a complete loser and now vying with George W Bush for worst American president of all time.

Posted by: jklfairwin | December 7, 2010 5:21 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: jklfairwin | December 7, 2010 5:22 PM | Report abuse

Just what we need, an angry irrational narcissist at the helm. And, he's next to the red phone? Oh, but no worry, he'll surrender long before really fighting.

Posted by: michaelhunt277 | December 7, 2010 5:24 PM | Report abuse

Matters not if Obama is a lame duck now, he pratically got everything he wanted in the 1st 2yrs. Acutally over 100 different legislative victories. Very impressive. I agree with you Mr Capehart, I hope Obama's tone today is the new normal. He was fiesty and direct, and I want to see just how much the GOP will MAKE him do over the next 2yrs. And by the tone of Obama today, he is looking forward to it as well. The tax cut thing was a draw. Like Obama said, its the Holy Grail for the GOP and Obama got a lot, more than I thought he would, to show for the compromise. That's just being a smart president. Lets see what happens going forward.

Posted by: BossDrop | December 7, 2010 5:32 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: BossDrop | December 7, 2010 5:33 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: BossDrop | December 7, 2010 5:34 PM | Report abuse

Remember Bill Clinton 1994. Remember Ronald Reagan 1983. It ain't over.

Posted by: danw1 | December 7, 2010 5:35 PM | Report abuse

Barry the incompetent boob rolls up his sleeves and masquerades as the stern Man Of Action that we all know he is not.

Pathetic Barry the lame duck president after just 22 month in office.

Miserable failure Obama

Posted by: screwjob22 | December 7, 2010 5:35 PM | Report abuse

Apologist.

Posted by: bem629 | December 7, 2010 5:39 PM | Report abuse

Yes, it's nice to see Obama angry. But it would have been far better if he had expressed his anger towards Republicans some time ago. Where was all the hostage taking rhetoric then? Where were the threats to let the tax cuts expire? Where were the threats (promises) to veto anything and everything the Republicans offered up? Where was Obama.

Now that he passes this sweetheart deal for the Top 1%, he has the gall to rant at those who have supported him all this time, those who elected him? Now he gets angry. So what!

He buckled on healthcare, he buckled on financial reform and now he has buckled on the tax cuts.

Merry Christmas Mr. President. Now go and join the party on Wall Street. And the laughter there? No, they are not laughing with you; they are laughing at you.

Enjoy it heartily, you one-term President.

Posted by: joachim1 | December 7, 2010 5:40 PM | Report abuse

Please, Obama, let the GOP have it. They're going to do the same to you.

Posted by: ravensfan20008 | December 7, 2010 5:43 PM | Report abuse

"I be pimpin' for Barry."

- J. CAPEHART

Posted by: screwjob22 | December 7, 2010 5:48 PM | Report abuse

This clown Obama hasn't looked the camera, and hence the American people, in the eye since he became a national figure. Without a teleprompter to read he is nothing!!

Posted by: jjcrocket13 | December 7, 2010 5:48 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: BossDrop | December 7, 2010 6:00 PM | Report abuse

You are scraping the bottom of the barrel...seriously? He had the right tone?

Posted by: bobilly1 | December 7, 2010 6:00 PM | Report abuse

ok, to jjcrocket13 and the others who always bring up the teleprompter nonsense:

a. all presidents use teleprompters, and should
b. George W.Bush would have been -- and was -- lost and inarticulate without them
c. my guess is you didn't make the same remarks about Bush
d. Obama is light years more articulate than Bush (doesn't mean he hasn't ever flubbed or made mistakes)
e. go watch footage of Obama speaking extemporaneously (if you know what that means) and compare to Bush talking without a teleprompter (example: when Obama attended the House Republican retreat in Jan 2010 and answered questions from the Reps present -- go look it up. He's also vastly more knowledgeable about issues and programs and details....
f. your comments and those like them are the typical 'down is up', 'up is down' comments of someone blinded by their prejudices (one doesn't have to agree with Obama's policies to agree with what I've said here..)

Posted by: Nancy26 | December 7, 2010 6:15 PM | Report abuse

a. all presidents use teleprompters, and should
c. my guess is you didn't make the same remarks about Bush

Posted by: Nancy26 | December 7, 2010 6:16 PM | Report abuse

To Nancy26 Why don't you send Obama the news that there are only 50 states, not 57. And then instruct him how to pronounce corpsman. Since he was never in the military and knows very little American history, he needs help.

Posted by: delusional1 | December 7, 2010 6:29 PM | Report abuse

" He is the sole adult in Washington,"

I like to think of him as the SOUL adult in Washington.

Posted by: Ombudsman1 | December 7, 2010 6:34 PM | Report abuse

Why does the liberals not like this deal. They can no longer say. 'We won, deal with it'. Now they have to compromise.

I seen a cartoon of liberals represented by a big 'cry baby'. So true. Thats all I see you liberals ever do. Stomp your feet, cry and whine. I have yet to see you offer a comprehnsive solution to any situation. You didn't with the health care bill. Your solution does not lower health care costs. Your failed. You didn't with the stimulus package. Still people are out of work. The roads are still crap.

Give up liberals. History is not on your side. Anerica is not now NOR NEVER WAS a liberal nation. It has ALWAYS been conservitive. Don't like it. Put a gun to your head and f.o.a.d.

Posted by: LiberalBasher | December 7, 2010 6:37 PM | Report abuse

I don't really believe anything Obama says any more. I especially don't believe what he said about Don't Ask/Don't Tell--that it would be gone in the coming year. He promises such things with no plan at all for making them happen and he does it even when the reality makes them appear impossible. In the end, he may get a watered-down, useless version of what he promised by giving away the store, but most of those who wanted the thing no longer want the version he gets.

Posted by: BTinSF | December 7, 2010 6:42 PM | Report abuse

Dude, you are living proof that affirmative action is alive and well at the washington post,

Posted by: VastRightWingConspirator | December 7, 2010 6:42 PM | Report abuse

You must have been watching a different press conference...and I am a liberal...

Posted by: justmy2 | December 7, 2010 6:45 PM | Report abuse

Mr. Capeheart, you are drinking from the same glass of kool-aid. Obama has had two hears to measure up and he just hasn't. I voted for him, worked hard for him, was elated at his historic victory. Now I wonder how I was so bedazzled by this man's charm that I didn't perceive the shallowness and self-centeredness. If the Dems do the right thing and nominate a true progressive, there may be a chance. Otherwise I fear we may be watching President Pain's parade down Pennsylvania Avenue.

Posted by: farhorizons | December 7, 2010 6:47 PM | Report abuse

@jhop1104 who asked "For everyone here complaining about Obama caving I ask the question do you think it would have been right to allow unemployment insurance expire for people, who need it."
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - --- -

Short answer: YES.

Longer answer: I believe it was Marx who advocated "to each according to his needs". In America, people don't get something just because they need it. They must have earned it or in some other way deserve it. The unemployment insurance program promises a certain level of benefits for a certain period of time. The premiums paid (deducted from paychecks) are based on that. There is no entitlement or even good reason for paying benefits longer than promised. In fact, I think on the margins it does encourage people not to take some jobs that pay far less or are less pleasant than what they previously earned/had. But regardless, it is simply taking money from another group (taxpayers in general) and handing it to the unemployed because it's a politically popular thing to do.

Posted by: BTinSF | December 7, 2010 6:51 PM | Report abuse

"He continued his hyperpartisan rhetoric, where Republicans were hostage-takers, unwilling to budge, whose holy grail is tax cuts for the rich, and Obama was itching for a fight in the political battle against these bomb throwers

I agree with everything that you just said except that it was "hyperpartisan".

The two sides agreed on everything except a tax-cut for the wealthy. Time and time again Obama has tempered his campaign promises and his politics for a more pragmatic view. So now it's "hyperpartisan" to differ from the Republicans at all? To not walk lockstep with the GOP leadership, to argue that their policy positions are just too one-sided and bad for the country as a whole?

Then I guess that "hyperpartisanship" is a good thing. Which I guess explains why the Republicans embrace it so much. But I'm sick and tired of the hypocrisy, really. If you don't agree with everything that these people want, if you even begin to criticize either them or their positions, if you *dare* to actively work towards different goals? Then in their minds you're nothing but a problem and they will make sure to make that clear. We can't have a country where it's the right-wing "good" and everyone else "bad". I for one am sick and tired of it, whatever they want to call it or why.

Posted by: chucklebuck | December 7, 2010 6:59 PM | Report abuse

You got to be kidding--stern?
Stern he was not when he sold out to the Republican/Tea Party.
Being stern on his surrender magnifies this president's lack of principle and spine.
For more on this, read this post:

Posted by: bn1123 | December 7, 2010 7:01 PM | Report abuse

"There is no entitlement or even good reason for paying benefits longer than promised"

Sure there is, if for no reason other than political expediency

Or do you think that it would happen if it wasn't?

seriously enough with the know-it-all absolutism. Give it a break. Realize that there are people with different opinions and that they are not inherently bad JUST BECAUSE THEY HAVE DIFFERENT OPINIONS. Just because they dare to disagree with you.

Posted by: chucklebuck | December 7, 2010 7:02 PM | Report abuse

Eh, this is all a tempest in a teapot. The real show starts in a little less than a year, and there will be blood. He is holding his fire, picking his battles, right now. The smart money is still on Obama.

Posted by: underhill | December 7, 2010 7:12 PM | Report abuse

it's pretty clear that we've gotten to a point where conservatives are so ffffing cynical that they will completely debase and try to destroy anyone and everything who doesn't agree with everything that comes out of their damm mouths, anyone who dares to argue with them.

It's not so much what such people have done, it's that they are such ripe targets for abuse by the right-wing. And abuse they will. The right wing will not rest until anyone and everyone who does not agree with them is completely burned.

And another problem is that we have so-called "liberals" who do the same thing. On both sides there simply is no tolerance for disagreement. Look people: the bottom line is that we have 485 congressmen. They voted. The issue is decided. Enough already. Stop trying to destroy everyone who doesn't agree with your own opinion. Let it go already.

Posted by: chucklebuck | December 7, 2010 7:25 PM | Report abuse

"...his words were sharp. And his eyes had that same laser-beam focus..."

Sure: We've all gotten used to that - the man knows how to give a speech and play to the camera. That's why we voted for him.

But sooner or later he has to deliver - two years and counting and we're still waiting for something other than "compromise."

Posted by: portico6 | December 7, 2010 7:27 PM | Report abuse

To BTinSF:

For there was not a needy person among them, for all who were owners of land or houses would sell them and bring the proceeds of the sales and lay them at the apostles’ feet, and they would be distributed to each as any had need.

Posted by: jp2010 | December 7, 2010 7:31 PM | Report abuse

To BTinSF:

Posted by: jp2010 | December 7, 2010 7:33 PM | Report abuse

An embarrassment to the office of president. 1-20-2013 can't come soon enough.

Posted by: mpg515 | December 7, 2010 7:37 PM | Report abuse

Mr. Capehart, your elders' attempt to switch some sense into you was an epic fail.

Posted by: ThisIsReality | December 7, 2010 7:52 PM | Report abuse

▍★∴--------------------▍★

welcome to: http://www.shoesforking.com/

The website wholesale for many kinds of fashion shoes, like the nike, jordan, prada, also including the jeans, shirts, bags, hat and the decorations. All the products are free shipping, and the the price is competitive, and also can accept the paypal payment., After the payment, can ship within short time.

3 free shipping

COACH_Necklace $ 27

handbag $ 33

AF tank woman $ 17

puma slipper woman $ 30

90X Extreme Fitness System ONLY ONLY 42 $$$$$$$

welcome to: http://www.shoesforking.com/

Believe you will love it.

▍★∴-----------------------▍★∴

Posted by: zhengee25 | December 7, 2010 8:08 PM | Report abuse

The signs of inexperience for Obama is showing, McConnell is laughing his -ss off. I honestly believe that Obama thought the Republicans were a bunch of nice guys, what a dream. McConnell said his main objective was to make Obama a one term president. He also said nothing was going to be passed until the rich received tax breaks, no matter how YOU look at this treachery I wont forget they turned on the unemployed, poor, etc to keep the rich happy. It would be advisable if you didn't forget. The AUDASITY of this party, they pulled no punches, feed the billionaires before we feed our working citizens.

Posted by: shipfreakbo214 | December 7, 2010 8:30 PM | Report abuse

Bush era tax cuts were unwise 10 years ago, and they are unwise today. They are wishful thinking, known as supply-side economic "stimulus". The result of this policy is dramatic: the wealthy class accumulates MORE WEALTH. The poor and middle-class HAVE LESS. There are plenty of economic theories to ponder, but our TAX code is very REGRESSIVE. The average person pays a high proportion of taxes from earned income.

Our GOP policy folks cater to the wishes of the Wealthy Class and Multi-national corporations. Look what happened with the Financial industry melt-down. Multi-naitonal corporations were bailed out by Secretary Paulson, and President Bush. He said something like, "if we don't help Wall Street, the whole sucker could go down." I think he was referring to the world economy, could collapse. Of course, the world economy has declined.

This all happened with those Bush Era Tax cuts running amok. Even Bush elder referred to Supply-Side economic policy as VOODOO economics, perhaps avoiding the Reagan inspired term, Trickle Down economics.

The idea is the FREE MARKET will somehow redistribute money thru the entire economy. But we have a TRANSACTION or EXCHANGE based economy. People buy stuff made by someone else (Transaction). WE pay for stuff from our labor wages (EXCHANGE). No real mystery, no FREE MARKET, just buying and selling stuff.

The Supply-side economic theory interferes with a Balanced economy. Normal economics means Supply and Demand. We can't have more supply than demand, that is out of balance.

Reagan and his happy band of policy makers sought to increase SUPPLY and ignore the Demand side. We have a tremendous SUPPLY chain over in China these days. But who is going to buy all their stuff? Where is the Demand for products? We have a high number of unemployed; they can't buy much. We have a high number of billionaires, but how much can they buy?

We operate a small services business. If our customers are out of work, they stop the service. Sure we might get a smaller tax bill (from Bush era tax cuts), but that doesn't mean we hire more workers; we need DEMAND -- we need healthy customers!

Posted by: rmorris391 | December 7, 2010 9:02 PM | Report abuse

As if any of the machinations of government are of any value. This is all smoke and mirrors folks. We are slaves. The only reason politicians even bother with such drivel is that they do not want you to catch on too soon. If the American people, and those of the rest of the world for that matter, ever would wake up we would throw the whole lot out. They know it so they keep letting you believe they care about you and what you need or think.
What was it Harriet Tubman said...something like "I helped a thousand slaves gain their freedom and could have freed a thousand more if only they had realized that they were slaves"!

Posted by: tjcoop3 | December 7, 2010 10:29 PM | Report abuse

Cmon Capehart get over your man crush and try being objective for once. Obama folded like a two dollar chair and proved once and for all that he is a weak and unprincipled politician who is over his head with the job he has. A real leader wld have addressed the nation and made his case on why the tax cuts for the wealthy were harmful to the nation and explained that if he had to choose btwn everyone's taxes going back to the Clinton rates or allowing the richest of us to enjoy a continuation of the Bush tax cuts he wld allow the Bush rates to expire for everyone. He then wldve explained how we are borrowing money from other countries to pay for these tax cuts and how irresponsible we are for doing it. He then shldve asked the Tea Party to help him do the right thing and help him fight against raising the deficit since that is what they say they are interested in. Finally, he wldve asked all Americans to be willing to sacrafice and rebuild this country, while reminding them that a great country is judged by how it provides for its less fortunate citizens and how anyone who fights against UI benefits but wants a tax cut for the richest of us is not the kind of citizen that made this country great. In the end Obama let it be known how terrified he was of letting the Bush rates expire and the republicans painted him in a corner and took advantage of him. I know you are a big fan of his Capehart but you really are doing him a disservice by choosing to be an Obama girl instead of an honest objective journalist.

Posted by: rbprtman23 | December 7, 2010 11:03 PM | Report abuse

Obviously, Mr. Capehart, your guy can do no wrong. From the day he adopted a breeder puppy instead of a shelter dog for the WH to this monumental cave in of the tax-cuts without a fight, Obama has done a flawless job of keeping his campaign promises.

Posted by: KT11 | December 7, 2010 11:05 PM | Report abuse

That's the wrong question. Presidents aren't supposed to paint themselves into a corner.

Posted by: glennet1 | December 7, 2010 11:15 PM | Report abuse

I never hear the GOP slapping down their supporters/base. Especially after they have just caved.

Posted by: rubberneck | December 8, 2010 1:50 AM | Report abuse

Yes most of the brands do give out samples of their products. Look for "123 Get Samples" online and get the samples. They are the best. You wont need CC.

Posted by: sherycarin | December 8, 2010 2:35 AM | Report abuse

What planet does Mr. Capehart live on? I watched Obama's pathetic news conference too. He was a petulant beaten wimp pretending that his unwillingness to fight on behalf of the people who elected him served a higher cause. Citing the health care abomination, a sell-out to the special interests, as an example of his greater wisdom highlighted his inadequacy.

Here is what a real president, FDR, said under similar circumstances: "They had begun to consider the Government of the United States as a mere appendage to their own affairs. We know now that Government by organized money is just as dangerous as Government by organized mob.
Never before in all our history have these forces been so united against one candidate as they stand today. They are unanimous in their hate for me—and I welcome their hatred."

Posted by: Desertstraw | December 8, 2010 2:48 AM | Report abuse

"Obama was characteristically stern."

Yes he was. And when I heard him during the evening news I kept wondering WHY is Obama stern with his party and supporters, but not with those who are on record that they will oppose every proposal he makes?!

Posted by: AMviennaVA | December 8, 2010 8:19 AM | Report abuse

LarryT1 @ December 7, 2010 4:22 PM wrote "The President added $1T to the deficit. Not one bridge will be repaired, one road built, one windmill built, or one person hired! Tax cuts and incentives are supply-side wishful thinking. Tax cuts and incentives created the 9.8% umemployment. They didn't work for Bush. They are not going to work for Obama. You can bet the Republicans will howl when the umemployment rate passes 10%! It will be Obama's fault, then!"

That is correct! This deal only increases the debt. It is based on premises about the economy that failed going back to Reagan. They have never worked.

At the same time, much as I blame Obama, I also need to hold my countrymen accountable: they (we effectively) keep electing the same folks who promise different results from the same policy.

Posted by: AMviennaVA | December 8, 2010 8:24 AM | Report abuse

So, it's tough love that has you impressed! Well, you're halfway there Mr. Capehart so tickled that you are to see him snapping at those that those who supported him .. when he starts snapping that way at the real 'enemy" the Republicans, the ones who he's supposed to fight against, you'll be all the way home.

Obama is doing the right thing against the wrong people possibly?
Maybe it's too late, we've seen what he will and won't do and to publicly chastise his supporters is an all time first in presidential history. But, you like it!

Posted by: mizkitteh | December 8, 2010 9:02 AM | Report abuse

The press was stunned into near silence not because they'd been slapped, but because they couldn't believe what they were seeing: Barack Obama voluntarily surrendered his Presidency, and didn't even realize it. He was selling Orwellian logic to himself: weakness is strength, defeat is victory. Normally combative when they feel his administration is lying to them, they were shocked into silence by Obama lying to himself. That is what left them speechless.

Posted by: xcrunner771 | December 8, 2010 9:09 AM | Report abuse

So, the only time he gets "stern" is after he's folded like a house of cards? And please note, he is angry with his supporters, the people who got him his job in the first place (and who could easily take it away in gtwo years). Apparently we are all supposed to keep our growing doubts about the president to ourselves. Only the Republicans are allowed to criticize him - and only the Republicans can get any results out of him.

Posted by: gmcduluth | December 8, 2010 9:28 AM | Report abuse

You can tell when the semi-literate start calling the President's names that he has done something right and they are at a loss for something to say. This has definitley brought our the ignorant name-calling. I am glad I won't have to watch the increased people on the street and hungy children. Our food banks are empty and our shelters have long been full. I am grateful for a President who recognizes this and who cares even if he had to suck it up and give the rich more money which they are already engorged after the Republicans has fed them so much.

Posted by: withersb | December 8, 2010 10:38 AM | Report abuse

OMG - I love the switch reference:). I've had to get a switch or two.

Posted by: rlj1 | December 8, 2010 11:02 AM | Report abuse

Capehart got it right. Obama, (for the first time in my opinion) did the right thing and acted as the Leader of all Americans. Bravo Mr. President, you finally are learning to lead! Taking care of Americans in distress and removing "tax fear" barriers for job creators was the only rational choice. Well done!

Posted by: Harry14 | December 8, 2010 11:18 AM | Report abuse