Posted at 2:17 PM ET, 02/ 7/2011

Sarah Palin needs her own wake-up call

By Jonathan Capehart

"CBS Sunday Morning" aired a profile of Aaron Sorkin yesterday. The peg was his best screenwriter Oscar nomination for "The Social Network." But it was his spot-on comments about Sarah Palin that piqued my interest. "I have a big problem with people who glamorize dumbness and demonize education and intellect," Sorkin said. "And I'm giving a pretty good description of Sarah Palin right now." As if on cue, the queen of the Tea Party movement and half-term governor of Alaska emerged this past weekend (after the debacle of her response to the Tucson tragedy) to prove Sorkin right.

In an interview with CBN News White House correspondent David Brody, Palin delivered an incomprehensible slam against President Obama's handling of the crisis in Egypt. "This is that 3 a.m. White House phone call, and it seems for many of us trying to get that information from our leader in the White House," she said, "it seems that that call went right to the answering machine." She goes on to say:

And nobody yet has explained to the American public what they know, and surely they know more than the rest of us know, who it is who will be taking the place of Mubarak. I'm not real enthused about what it is that is being done on a national level from D.C. in regards to understanding all the situation there in Egypt, and in these areas that are so volatile right now, because obviously it's not just Egypt, but the other countries, too, where we are seeing uprisings. We know that now more than ever, we need strength and sound mind there in the White House. We need to know what it is that America stands for, so we know who it is that America will stand with. And we do not have all that information yet.

Whoever advised Palin to say this should be fired. Oh, wait, she heeds her own counsel and that of her husband, Todd.

Palin doesn't make much sense either when asked whether she wanted to make the mainstream media irrelevant.

I think much of the mainstream media is already becoming so irrelevant because there is not balance. There is, in many cases, David, there is not truth coming out of the mainstream media, and I know that first-hand. I live it every day. And what would give me great joy is if what would become irrelevant is just the untruthful the misreporting out there. I want the mainstream media, and I've said this for a couple of years now, I want to help 'em. I have a journalism degree, that is what I studied. I understand that this cornerstone of our democracy is a free press, is sound journalism. I want to help them build back their reputation and allow Americans to be able to trust what it is that they are reporting. We're so far from being able to trust what so many of the mainstream media personalities, characters, feed the American public that it scares me for our country. What would give me great joy is what would become irrelevant is the misreporting that comes out of the mainstream media.

Yes, the cornerstone of our democracy is a free press. But implicit in that is the expectation that journalists will hold people in positions of authority and influence accountable and responsible for their words and actions. An expectation that Palin thrives on flouting. How can the American people trust what the media say about her when she won't allow herself to be subjected to intense scrutiny? Palin happily resides in the safe bubble of Twitter and Facebook. And when she does answer questions, she does so from sympathetic inquisitors or from the comfort of her Fox News security blanket.

At festivities Friday marking the centennial of Ronald Reagan's birth, Palin gave a dark speech that was at odds with the sunny optimism of the 40th president. Slamming Washington for doing nothing to promote responsible domestic oil drilling, Palin said, "This is not the road to national greatness, it is the road to ruin." The same could be said of her actions on the national political stage. Pity Palin can't see that.

By Jonathan Capehart  | February 7, 2011; 2:17 PM ET
Categories:  Capehart  | Tags:  Jonathan Capehart
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: After 'forcible rape,' another abortion restriction
Next: What do Egypt's protesters want?

Comments

"No comments have been posted to this entry."

What more is there to say?

Posted by: knjincvc | February 7, 2011 3:00 PM | Report abuse

"No comments have been posted to this entry."

What more is there to say?

Posted by: knjincvc | February 7, 2011 3:00 PM | Report abuse

Palin is irrelevant and a money grubbing skank.

Posted by: Realistic5 | February 7, 2011 3:02 PM | Report abuse

The woman is an idiot but no moreso than those that see anything positive in such a fool.

Posted by: letemhaveit | February 7, 2011 3:04 PM | Report abuse

Given Palin's low level of education and the generally dismal state of her knowledge-base, how would she know how well the media are doing?

Posted by: scientist1 | February 7, 2011 3:13 PM | Report abuse

Given her low level of education and the generally dismal state of her knowledge-base, how would Palin (TM) know how well the media are doing?

Posted by: scientist1 | February 7, 2011 3:14 PM | Report abuse

Dana Millbank declared February a Palin-free month. Let's make it a year?

Posted by: gposner | February 7, 2011 3:20 PM | Report abuse

DUH!!!

I swear every time I hear her speak I wonder what McCain was thinking. Of all the people he could have chosen - even if he was cynical enough and just wanted a woman there are a lot of Republican women who could have enhanced the ticket.

Every time she speaks, actually rambles, I blame McCain.

Posted by: rlj1 | February 7, 2011 3:23 PM | Report abuse

Can Palin see Egypt from her house? Hell, does she even know where Egypt is located on a map?

Posted by: vmrg1974 | February 7, 2011 3:33 PM | Report abuse

Palin and Bachman in 2012!

These two women are resurrecting the Know Nothing party (although they both would have no idea of what this allusion means).

Posted by: reporter1 | February 7, 2011 3:33 PM | Report abuse

No comment! I took the pledge not to read ANYTHING about Palin ANYWHERE, or comment on her, or watch her on tv, and when I see her face or hear her voice, I SWITCH channels!

I did NOT read your article. I am Palin free COLD TURKEY since I took the pledge with Millbank! I have lowered my blood pressure considerably!

Life without Palin is wonderful, and SO easy to do!

Posted by: cashmere1 | February 7, 2011 3:35 PM | Report abuse

Yes the President calls all "reality" stars when there is a world crisis. That is how he makes important decisions. DUH!

Ms Palin you are not in the loop, neither here in the US or in Eygpt. She acts like we can tell another country what to do. Maybe their people are like ours and want to truly be represented, not just lip-service!

Posted by: skoksvalley | February 7, 2011 3:38 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: skoksvalley | February 7, 2011 3:39 PM | Report abuse

Sarah Palin the Queen of Alchemy. Turning incoherence into CA$H. Thanks to her thousands of adoring fanatics.

Posted by: stecroix | February 7, 2011 3:49 PM | Report abuse

@rlj1 wrote:
"I wonder what McCain was thinking."
Personally I think he was thinking he was going to be slaughtered and so picked the most vapid, attractive, red-meat candidate to throw at the base.
This way he loses but only by a nominal amount.

Posted by: rpixley220 | February 7, 2011 3:50 PM | Report abuse

I just find it hard to believe that McCain actually SPOKE to this woman before offering her what is arguablt the second most powerful position on this planet.

If he did, the little head made the decision.

Posted by: willandjansdad1 | February 7, 2011 3:53 PM | Report abuse

I just find it hard to believe that McCain actually SPOKE to this woman before offering her what is arguably the second most powerful position on this planet.

If he did, the little head made the decision.

Posted by: willandjansdad1 | February 7, 2011 3:54 PM | Report abuse

I swear every time I hear her speak I wonder what McCain was thinking. Of all the people he could have chosen {snip} ....Every time she speaks, actually rambles, I blame McCain.
---------
So do I. Though I can't prove it, I'm convinced the reason we got her is that McCain's first choice, as well as second, third, fourth, fifth, sixth, seventh, eighth, and ninth choices, turned him down.

Posted by: bucinka8 | February 7, 2011 3:55 PM | Report abuse

I sure hope the Republicans make their 2012 ticket Palin and Bachmann.

Posted by: edwardatvienna | February 7, 2011 3:58 PM | Report abuse

is this a great country or what? Even the uninformed, like Palin, are entitled to their opinion.

Posted by: jams2 | February 7, 2011 3:58 PM | Report abuse

John McCain created this Palinstein monster and now we all have to endure her endless, mind-numbing rants about things that she doesn't even have the foggiest clue about. Please, Sarah, please, go back to Wasilla and subscribe to Mad Magazine so you can get all the news fit for you to digest...though, I think, even Mad Magazine would be too far over her head.

Posted by: bkllal6020 | February 7, 2011 3:59 PM | Report abuse

...understanding all the situation there in Egypt...what would become irrelevant is just the untruthful the misreporting out there...I understand that this cornerstone...would give me great joy is what would become irrelevant is the misreporting that comes...

Toss with dressing...Serves 25% of the population without ill effects but tends to sicken all others.

Posted by: willandjansdad1 | February 7, 2011 4:00 PM | Report abuse

Capehart as usual you missed the most important point. Not only is Sorkin a liberal wingnut but he is a CRACKHEAD. Palin comes out looking like and Angel compared to Sorkin.

Posted by: topgun97365 | February 7, 2011 4:01 PM | Report abuse

This is a very good column. It is very hard to improve on the quotes of Aaron Sorkin. The sad thing is that many Americans are proving Jay Leno right when he does his Jaywalking. We are glamorizing ignorance. In Sarah's case we are glamorizing arrogant ignorance.

Mr. Jefferson has been quoted a lot by the extreme right. I prefer to remind people that Mr. Jefferson also made comments about how an educated populace was necessary for us to preserve our form of government.

The thing that gauls me is that our main stream media have been way too timid to point out factual errors and downright distortions of the the truth. As it stands, the extreme right is exercising a propaganda campaign unlike anything that I have seen in my lifetime. They accuse the left of being everything that they actually are. This is quite a ploy when you think about it. For example, if I am a boozer, I'll call the opposition the biggest boozers that I have ver seen. My base will believe me because I can show at least someone at some time on the oppositiion team that drinks too much.

Posted by: EarlC | February 7, 2011 4:07 PM | Report abuse

i must admit i read this not because i ever learn anythign from capehart but because i was wondering if he was towing the same liberal OBAMA defense team line. sure enough. capehart never disappoints. but he needs to talk to his advisors. maybe his wife, or husband, because he's sounding alot like every other column he's ever written

Posted by: harbinger317 | February 7, 2011 4:09 PM | Report abuse

The only Palin supporters left are the true ignorant nut-cases.

Posted by: rcc_2000 | February 7, 2011 4:09 PM | Report abuse

Look out, she has a journalism degree! And she's willing to help!

She just doesn't get what a joke she is. I'm going to start calling her Jillian, after Brian the dog's girlfriend on Family Guy. Because that's her in a nutshell.

Jillian: Omigod, Brian! I was watching this TV special about this guy called Hitler; somebody should stop him!

Stewie: I say Jillian this lemonade is delicious.
Jillian: I know! Its good right? I just wish they didn't have to kill so many lemons to make it.

Jillian: ...and then, think about this. Have you ever seen the sun and the moon in the same place at the same time?
Peter: (gasps) They're the same person!
Jillian: I know, right?!

Posted by: hitpoints | February 7, 2011 4:14 PM | Report abuse

[from the article]: Aaron Sorkin said, "I have a big problem with people who glamorize dumbness and demonize education and intellect."

So do I, Aaron, so do I. And if education and intellect aren't the only virtues we should admire (they are not), demonizing them is still a vice. And Sarah Palin and her fellow travelers are pretty "vicious" in this regard.

So criticize Capehart as an America-hating liberal elitist if you want, wingnuts. But he's correct about this: Palin's response WAS virtually incomprehensible. No wiggling out of that.

Posted by: post_reader_in_wv | February 7, 2011 4:15 PM | Report abuse

First, I must confess to being your biggest fan Mr. Capehart, both in stature, and in the normal sense of English speakers when they say "big fan".The fact that this growing cultural movement of embracing stupidity continues unabated causes me genuine concern about the future of the nation. It is further exacerbated by the realization of just who it is out there supporting it. Sarah Palin, is to be blunt, a moron from day one, you would never expect more than this from her. The Republican leadership though, Boehner McConnell, Newt and Romney, the fact that they too now not only embrace stupidity and pseudo patriotism, combined with a used car salesmen facility with mendacity does not bode well for our future.

Posted by: Panzerfaust | February 7, 2011 4:16 PM | Report abuse

Palin continues to be a national disgrace...why does the media even bother to report on her ignorant rants?

Posted by: fairness3 | February 7, 2011 4:18 PM | Report abuse

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzarah Palin

Posted by: ExConservative | February 7, 2011 4:20 PM | Report abuse

God in heaven...what an utter idiot.

Posted by: Bridge3263 | February 7, 2011 4:21 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Panzerfaust | February 7, 2011 4:23 PM | Report abuse

Palin is woefully ignorant. And I agree with Sorkin that intelligence shouldn't be demonized. But I don't believe rapacious greed, superficiality, and a total lack of integrity, qualities personified by Mark Zuckerberg, should be celebrated either.

Posted by: dnahatch1 | February 7, 2011 4:27 PM | Report abuse

My 4th grader uses better grammar.

Posted by: zzishate@yahoo.com | February 7, 2011 4:30 PM | Report abuse

Capehart, you and your idol Obama have a lot of nerve questioning anyone else's intelligence. Truth, now: what makes you so smart? And who told you you are? Mommy?

Posted by: qoph | February 7, 2011 4:31 PM | Report abuse

It's hilarious when she is quoted word for word. She doesn't make sense when you listen to her, but when you read her words it's incomprehensible. It's a word salad with fruit and nuts.

Posted by: jpawlik1 | February 7, 2011 4:33 PM | Report abuse

-------

And how'd the moon get there? Huh? Huh?

Posted by: hitpoints | February 7, 2011 4:43 PM | Report abuse

As a columnist who cannot write an interesting piece without mentioning Sarah Palin, Capeheart just shouldn't go there.

Posted by: diehardlib | February 7, 2011 4:45 PM | Report abuse

Remember the South Carolina beauty pageant entrant who went on and on about...well...it was rather incomprehensible...must as Palin's rant above. Obviously, Palin must have been the South Carolinian's mentor.

Posted by: eal1 | February 7, 2011 4:48 PM | Report abuse

If those are Palin's verbatim comments, then she is actually becoming less articulate the more she speaks. I've heard seventh graders express their ideas with more coherence.

Palin, like Bush, treats English like it's a second language. One of my true regrets is that we never saw a Bush-Palin ticket. Now that would have been entertaining!

Posted by: MidwaySailor76 | February 7, 2011 4:49 PM | Report abuse

Both Palin and Capehart are mistaken. We do not have freedom of the press because the media are responsible and any type of "cornerstone" or even bird cage liner. In fact, we assume that good and bad journalism cannot be known beforehand. Therefore, prior restraint is illegal (while libel and slander lawsuits after the fact are not).

Posted by: blasmaic | February 7, 2011 4:49 PM | Report abuse

"I have a big problem with people who glamorize dumbness and demonize education and intellect"

Too bad for Aaron Sorkin that the vast majority of America has a big problem with liberal snots whose messages - no matter how eloquently stated - are not registering in the least.

You know, it's funny. Despite Sarah Palin's ramblings in an interview and occasional odd word choice, I know exactly where she is coming from. I know exactly what her stance is on any issue. I know exactly how she would react to any situation thrown her way. And I know that she would stay the course and accomplish results.

Contrast with Obama, who reads eloquently off a teleprompter, has a fawning press interpreting his every word for us (much like a mother bird would chew and pre-digest food for its babies), and gets pass after pass after pass from the press for the lies, broken campaign promises and gaffes that he makes. Yet still, I have no idea what his stance is on anything. I get mixed signals as to how he is going to handle an issue. And I shake my head in puzzlement at the numerous missed opportunities he's had to communicate a coherent policy to the American people. He himself keeps saying that the American people are "not understanding his message".

I believe this is why Sarah Palin is so wildly popular. Deep down, you know where she stands - you get her message, and you know she'll stand by it.

Not so much with our "great communicator" president.

Posted by: QuineGeology | February 7, 2011 4:51 PM | Report abuse

How can we possible know who Mubarak's successor will be ? Palin is clearly out of her element and does nut understand foreign policy crises.

Posted by: peterroach | February 7, 2011 4:56 PM | Report abuse

How can we possible know who Mubarak's successor will be ? Palin is clearly out of her element and does not understand foreign policy crises.

Posted by: peterroach | February 7, 2011 4:58 PM | Report abuse

I respect Sarah Palin though I have not heard her make much sense since her acceptance speech Had McCain released a home run hitter? Within days I found her towering blast to be an impressive foul ball and her bat to be a club not suitable for the playoffs, sandlots or bashing those she finds threatening her Exceptional-ly small world.

She lost me politically with the "palin' (sic) around with terrorists" that continues to play (with decreasing effect) so well with many Americans, and since then I've heard nothing from her, her supporters or detractors to change my mind.

She's bright enough to make many millions more in one year than I ever will in a career as a teacher, and she's gonna have to be satisfied with the money and adulation of her (what do you call someone who believes she has any electoral chance?)_____. She knows her safe havens.

She's still a mama. Unfortunately for her, some Americans grow up to find her more Foxtual than factual, and think their own thoughts. Perhaps her kids will be among them.

Posted by: bosco11 | February 7, 2011 5:01 PM | Report abuse

Hitpoints said:

"Truth, now: what makes you so smart? And who told you you are? Mommy?"

who made sarah an expert on the media? I guess we all choose who to listen to. Sarah isn't my choice. Also, some recent articles have suggested that really abusive, name calling posts in on-line replies to news articles are often bought and paid for by publicists etc. Are you from astroturf land, Hitpoints? Do you get paid ten cents a post, or whatever? are you a corporate shill?

Posted by: underhill | February 7, 2011 5:01 PM | Report abuse

"And nobody yet has explained to the American public what they know, and surely they know more than the rest of us know, who it is who will be taking the place of Mubarak."

See, we have this thing called "democracy." A country holds what is called an "election" where each person gets to cast a "vote" for the person that they want to be the leader, or what we call a "president." Then they count all the votes and whoever gets the most wins, and that's how we'll find out who will take Mubarak's place.

Posted by: duhneese | February 7, 2011 5:02 PM | Report abuse

sarah palin thought africa was a country not a continent. what a dummy.
sarah, egypt is in africa.

Posted by: pookeyw2 | February 7, 2011 5:05 PM | Report abuse

sarah palin thought africa was a country not a continent. what a dummy.
sarah, egypt is in africa.

Posted by: pookeyw2 | February 7, 2011 5:06 PM | Report abuse

sarah palin thought africa was a country not a continent. what a dummy.
sarah, egypt is in africa.

Posted by: pookeyw2 | February 7, 2011 5:06 PM | Report abuse

And now Ms. Palin presumes she can teach the media journalism. No one needs to say anything about her; just let her statements speak for themselves.

Posted by: trackerinblue | February 7, 2011 5:06 PM | Report abuse

Be scared, be very scared..after all the US electorate voted Bush into office for two terms ans just returned the house to Republican control..the same useless morons that with Bush enjoyed almost complete control of the gov't for the 8 years leading up to the worst recession since the great depression.

The US electorate is capable of voting someone as stupid as Palin into office. President or Vice President..

So be scared, be very scared...

Posted by: JJH1 | February 7, 2011 5:07 PM | Report abuse

See you in tea.

Posted by: TOMHERE | February 7, 2011 5:09 PM | Report abuse

"The same could be said of her actions on the national political stage. Pity Palin can't see that."

I know some things Sarah Palin would not do and they are:

-She would not have given GM and Chrysler to the unions
-She would not have shoved Obama's health care down the throats of the citizens – the majority of whom don’t want it
-She would not have spent trillions on stimulus and budgets that did not help the unemployed get jobs
-She would not have bribed the unions 60 billion dollars so they would not have to pay the Cadillac insurance taxes until 2018
-She would not have bribed senators over a half-trillion dollars to get Obamacare through a super-majority of democrat senators
-She would not push cap and trade on the nation which is going to increase prices on gas, heating & cooling our residences and increase the price of everything shipped
-She would not have run around the world bowing to thugs like a trained flea
-She would not go around the world apologizing for the U.S. being the greatest country in the world
-She would not be increasing taxes
-She would not be spending money like water for R&R, taking hundreds of people on trips at taxpayer’s expense
-She would not have increased the size and scope of the federal government and given increases in pay to federal employees during a recession
-She would not have hired czars at $500K who are all academics that have never run a business nor held a real job, yet don’t have to answer to anyone – not even Congress.
-She would not be taking taxpayer money to fund Petrobras in Brazil to drill for oil while placing a moratorium on our own American oil companies
-She would not have given over 900 million dollars of taxpayer money to Hamas - a terrorist group in Palestine.

Those are a few of the things Palin would not have done.

Posted by: QuineGeology | February 7, 2011 5:09 PM | Report abuse

Palin would have done things that would have helped the unemployed get jobs.

-She would have cut corporate taxes on businesses and eased regulations and trade restrictions.

-She would have offered incentives and tax relief to small businesses, who employ 70% of the U.S. workforce.

-She would have told the Federal Reserve not to issue 600 billion of new money designed to devalue the dollar and surely cause inflation.

-She would have taken an all-of-the-above stance on energy, allowing American oil, natural gas, coal, shale, wind and solar companies to thrive, and fast-track nuclear power plants, all of which would keep the prices down on gas, heating and cooling of homes, to say nothing of the costs of shipping and transportation. This would also put unemployed people in good- paying jobs.

-She would have brought relevant government management experience, expertise and proven solutions to the Oval Office, not to mention private-sector business experience, budgetary acumen and a love for the country as founded - - all missing from Obama's resume.

Posted by: QuineGeology | February 7, 2011 5:16 PM | Report abuse

Palin would have done things that would have helped the unemployed get jobs.

Posted by: QuineGeology | February 7, 2011 5:24 PM | Report abuse

Just like you, Capehart, and the rest of the media, to ignore Obama's spectacular "word salad" remarks in an interview with Bill O'Reilly after the Super Bowl...

Obama, on a question about Mubarek:

“Well, you know, he’s only he knows what he’s going to do but here’s what we know is that Egypt is not going to go back to what it was.”

Obama, on a question about a Wall Street Journal editorial:

“That, that, the, uh, I mean if you are talking about the Wall Street Journal editorial page, you know, the uh, you know, that’s like quoting the New York Times editorial page...”

And remember, folks. He's a Harvard-educated, "clean-cut black man who doesn't speak with a Negro dialect, unless he wants to". (Joe Biden's remarks)

Posted by: QuineGeology | February 7, 2011 5:30 PM | Report abuse

Hum.. our President flips and flops on Egypt.. rediscovers something alien to his Administration called "democracy promotion" and Palin correctly calls him on his feckless leadership.. yet you repeat Sorkin's tasteless remarks and what Charles Blow called "the Tuscon Witch Hunt" ?

Did you miss Obama's call for civility ?

I guess like other members of the Left - think the Common Cause riot and the threats that caused a Palin event to be cancelled... just never crossed your mind.

Palin hatred on the Left.. shameful.

Posted by: pvilso24 | February 7, 2011 5:31 PM | Report abuse

So Mrs Palin is talking foreing policy?? This interview is really pathetic!!!! I think the best thing Sarah Palin can do is to go back to Alaska and take care of her family.In my book she wont qualify for dog catcher in my town.

Posted by: lagrsf | February 7, 2011 5:31 PM | Report abuse

Capehart has managed to score a bullseye. Thank you.

Posted by: lddoyle2002 | February 7, 2011 5:32 PM | Report abuse

@QuineGeology:
The tax cuts creates jobs mantra. They. Do. Not. Create. Jobs. Full stop.

DEMAND creates jobs. If the tax rate is ZERO and no one is buying, no one will hire anyone.

Tax cuts can be beneficial to encourage behavior, but the prime driver of hiring is demand for products and services.

Lets go back to late 2008/ early 2009.
The economy in a free fall, people grew scared and stopped spending (a predictable response), without people buying business stopped spending and laid people off, which reduced spending even more.

So demand went off a cliff with the economy.

If businesses and the public aren't buying, how do you get demand? The *government* does deficit spending to stimulate the economy and get everybody buying again. Things like infrastructre (Hoover Dam for instance) or unemployment benefits (keeps people able to spend money in the short term) are significantly more stimulative than tax cuts.

And Ms. Palin and the GOP were against any of this. They made sure any stimulus was demonized and smaller than required.

She's completely ignorant on such topics. The GOP on the other hand willfully chose politics over the country.

Posted by: rpixley220 | February 7, 2011 5:32 PM | Report abuse

Considering the most recent National Enquirer a la Edwards story on her the bigger question would be whether Todd would be complaining about being waken up too? We may have to wait for those emails at the end of May.

Posted by: ejgallagher1 | February 7, 2011 5:36 PM | Report abuse

"dark speech at odds with the sunny optimism of the 40th president. Slamming Washington for doing nothing to promote responsible domestic oil drilling, Palin said, "This is not the road to national greatness, it is the road to ruin."

Dark speech ? She received a standing ovation from an excited crowd of Reagan fans. Why no mention of her strong performance ? She correctly called out the Obama drilling-freeze policy which has twice now been ruled "illegal" by a Federal Judge in Florida.

You act a pundit but give your President a free path.

Shameful Crony Journalism.

Posted by: pvilso24 | February 7, 2011 5:39 PM | Report abuse

Jonathan, she is not an elected official and long ago decided that she isn't interested in policy... there really isn't anything to cover with her and all you do by writing about is provide a forum for those who still believe Palin is "looking out for them" to show their ignorance.

Palin is not interested in having a job people... she is a full fledged pundit... sorry, Pundit.

How you like her now?

Posted by: Rickster623 | February 7, 2011 5:42 PM | Report abuse

I always liked Pres. George H Bush's metaphor.

Stick a fork in her. She's done.

Posted by: kencamarro | February 7, 2011 5:45 PM | Report abuse

I didn't read the article. I wanted to, but I'm honoring Dana Milbank's very sensible idea on the You-Know-Who Free February.

Posted by: cococo | February 7, 2011 5:48 PM | Report abuse

I didn't read the article. I wanted to, but I'm honoring Dana Milbank's very sensible idea on having a You Know Who-Free February.

Posted by: cococo | February 7, 2011 5:49 PM | Report abuse

@pvilso24:
"Dark speech ? She received a standing ovation from an excited crowd of Reagan fans."
Just because Palin had a friendly audience doesn't mean her message wasn't 'dark'. Lots of today's 'conservatives' don't have a clue about Reagan's actual legacy - Ms. Palin being a prime example.

Posted by: rpixley220 | February 7, 2011 5:49 PM | Report abuse

When the "educated" classes stop using common sense and instead attack critics as dumb, they are literally driving the population to Governor Palin.

Governor Palin is positioning herself to campaign as another Andrew Jackson, who campaigned against the Bank of the United States and Eastern elites.

While most potential Republican Presidential candidates are hiding in the background, Governor Palin is taking strong stands on many issues that students of the Age of Jackson will remember.

Wall Street - its leaders are class mates to Obama, Clinton and the two Bushes(all birds of a feather who flock together) - all look like Nicholas Biddle and friends

These are all bread and butter issues people care about.

Paul Krugman is blaming inflation on Global Warming. Governor Palin needs elitists like Krugman to make her case the American governing class is bonkers. Voters will vote for "dumb" over crazy.

Dems are sayig many of the things about Palin that opponents said about Andrew Jackson - another politician who was good with a gun.

Posted by: jfv123 | February 7, 2011 5:49 PM | Report abuse

"Dancing Daughter" was on one TV Show that her mom tried to 'hog' (by her presence).

Jeff Foxworthy: What a joy it would to be able to see $ara Palin stand before your camera and say: I am NOT smarter than a Fifth Grader.

Posted by: rbsher | February 7, 2011 5:51 PM | Report abuse

For someone who has some sort of degree in journalism, she certainly doesn't show it. That gibberish is mind-boggling -- it seems to be a form of verbal quicksand. Poor Palin's finest hour was as a jiggle-girl doing the weather; God knows (and the rest of us can tell) that she has no business trying to play at politics. Couldn't even finish one whole term as governor! And why not? Too much work involved? Or did she have to try to translate that gibberish into standard English? Now THAT would be EXHAUSTING!

Posted by: CalypsoSummer | February 7, 2011 5:51 PM | Report abuse

Mrs. Palin suggested that President Obama is "soft on those "evil" people of the Muslim Brotherhood (has she tapped the WH phone?) Building fear works, ie: Willie Horton's pic scared folk that their Mama, sister and daughter would be uhhhh by Willie. And maybe the Muslim Brotherhood has WMDs? We are Number One, after all, but we often forget we really are second or third or fourth to Mother Nature!

Posted by: judithclaire1939 | February 7, 2011 5:54 PM | Report abuse

The funniest line Jonathan was when she said, "I have a journalism degree, that's what I studied." LOL! Where, at one of the 6 or so fine establishments where you went to school? Was it the distinguished University of Idaho School of Journalism? Please, give me a break. The problem with Palin is she has all these accusations for everyone else, but doesn't look in the mirror and see a complete idiot. So, she's obviously no detective (since that's plain as day to almost everyone else in the World).

Conservatives, just a critique. You wouldn't be castigated and completely dismissed from intellectual conversation if you had any seriousness to your leaders. Sarah Palin and Limbaugh and Beck are clowns, plain and simple. They're embarrassing to me as a human being, and the fact that they aren't to you shows just how jaded and ignorant your ideas actually are. When you hail a worthy person as leader, maybe then citizens will take the time to listen to what you have to say. Until then, go tell it to Ronald Reagan's tombstone.

Posted by: sachancp | February 7, 2011 6:10 PM | Report abuse

No balance? Is this woman for real? Does she not realize she epitomizes everything about the LSM she is complaining about? If there was ever a person to spout unsubstantiated bolloc#s it is her, repeatedly and proudly.

And would someone advise her to put together a coherent sentence, I have to read her quotes 2 times just to make sense, its verbal diarrhea.

Posted by: Chops2 | February 7, 2011 6:11 PM | Report abuse

Sarah Palin is a loon

Posted by: ExConservative | February 7, 2011 6:18 PM | Report abuse

What I find more intriguing is why some media sources still consider Sarah Palin's idiotic under-educated opinions to be 'news-worthy'.

Do these media sources really believe that an idiotic woman who refuses realize or to accept that she should have shut up and gone away more than two years ago, is the best person to 'educate' the nation on foreign policy and national policy issues?

What do they have to pay her every time she's on their shows?

Posted by: momof20yo | February 7, 2011 6:19 PM | Report abuse

Why is this woman given so much space in a leading paper ?

Posted by: wernerthomasi | February 7, 2011 6:22 PM | Report abuse

Werner, my best guess is that it's because, unlike a genuine car wreck, we can gawk at her and point and laugh. The WPost is (as are other outlets) just reacting to our fascination with this goofy creature. If Snooki were quoted at length, we'd have the same reaction. There's a lot of similarity between those two -- except Snooki never had a pregnant teenage high-school dropout for a daughter.

Posted by: CalypsoSummer | February 7, 2011 6:28 PM | Report abuse

@jfv123:
lets just refute your points one by one:
"Inflation, the national debt and the Federal Reserve - Governor Palin has been issuing early inflation warnings"
- Inflation is non-existant, the debt is bad, but defaulting on our debt would be much much worse.
"Wall Street - its leaders are class mates to Obama, Clinton and the two Bushes"
- GWBush is the one who gave away the farm on this one. Obama *tried* to re-regulate the industry but the GOP blocked any really significant reforms.
"Energy - if we have $4/gallon gas, voters will remember Palin warned them the Obama administration is trying to drive up oil prices to favor his environmental friends"
- The larger 'point' is that we simply can't produce anywhere near enough oil to measurably affect gas prices. It may 'feel' good to say "Drill here, drill now" but the reality is that we simply can't drill our way out of our oil addiction. If we could get every drop of oil in ANWR it would produce literally only 5% of our current needs let alone any increase in demand. That's a whopping $0.20/gallon savings. If there isn't enough oil to do much, why not try something that actually can get us off oil. And yes that will cost more short term. Long term however, 'green' will be much much cheaper.
"Immigration- Palin underscored her illegal immigration stand by building her own fence to keep a snooping liberal writer away from her family."
- Unless you want to have $15 fruits and veggies, you can't just kick everybody out. If you don't deal with the 10 million+ that are already here you aren't dealing with the problem at all.

"Paul Krugman is blaming inflation on Global Warming."
I believe you mean 'food price' inflation. And yes, Global Warming will cause major food issues. I don't know if it is yet, but climate change *will* cause widespread crop issues. You can't just move a farm to new places where the climate is now suitable. Nor is the ground guaranteed to even be farmable.

Posted by: rpixley220 | February 7, 2011 6:29 PM | Report abuse

Sarah Palin needs her own wake-up call so that she can wake up to understand President Obama's grand diplomatic strategy

President Obama and the great beloved Muslim Brotherhood are joining forces to overthrow the criminal Mubarak regime. With the help of President Obama, we'll establish an Islamic government in Egypt, which is desired by every Egyptians. With his recent great speeches to the Turks and Egyptians, President Obama has awakened the strong Islamic feelings of these 2 great Muslim giants. After President Obama spoke to the people of Turkey and inspired them, the Turkish Islamic government began to stiffen their spine against Israel and become more supportive of Palestinian causes. Like the Turks, the people of Egypt were also inspired by President Obama when he spoke to them in Cairo and they will soon join the great Islamic causes and destroy the anti-Islamic Mubarak regime. Together with Iran, these 3 great Islamic governments will provide a 3-way formidable attack against Israel, the main troublemaker and warmonger in Middle East. Thanks to the great visions of President Obama, the invincible triple Islamic Alliance of Egypt, Iran and Turkey will put an end to Israel.

When Obama the Liberator has freed the long-suffering Palestinians from those widely-despised Israeli occupiers, he should be well-awarded with his 2nd Nobel Peace Prize for bringing long-lasting peace to the people of Middle East.

This is something beyond the pay-grade of a short-sighted idiot like Sarah Palin to comprehend. This dumb fool needs to wake up !

Posted by: tmbodok | February 7, 2011 6:31 PM | Report abuse

10 to 1 says Palin couldn't find Egypt on a map.

Palin says: "This is not the road to national greatness, it is the road to ruin."

If that's so, it was Republicans that got us here, and from what I've learned recently Economic Ruin was a choice Republicans made -- it was NOT inevitable.

Bush/Cheney made ALL of Osama Bin Laden's terrorist dreams come true: Bin Laden wanted to hit us on American Soil (done on 9/11 under Republican-Bush/Cheney watch); and Bin Laden wanted to destroy the American Economy (also don under Republican-Bush/Cheney watch).

And the Republican Voters remain unable to put 2 and 2 together.

Posted by: lindalovejones | February 7, 2011 6:35 PM | Report abuse

10 to 1 says Palin couldn't find Egypt on a map.

And the Republican Voters remain unable to put 2 and 2 together.

Posted by: lindalovejones | February 7, 2011 6:36 PM | Report abuse

Go to You Tube and type in the subject line: Palin witchcraft. You will see an African minister praying over her to protect her from witchcraft.

The same minister has made a name for himself in Africa exposing "witches" -- usually children, who are often beaten or starved to death during their "exorcism."

Posted by: okiedeadhead | February 7, 2011 6:43 PM | Report abuse

Palin is not very bright and why media wants to give her so much space astounds me.
Years ago, after many years in computer engineering, I decided to get a degree in Mass Communications because I wanted to join a media organization with which I had some connection. This is the same degree that Palin has. I went to a very good university, thoroughly enjoyed myself and was graduated Summa Cum Laude.
The degree program would have hardly challenged a bright and motivated high school student. It required little academic skill and very little critical thinking. Basically, it is a credential to provide entrance into media, but one needs to bring some maturity, intellect and insight in order to be successful.
Palin doesn't have it. She thinks in slogans and cliche. She is dumb and that it took her 6 schools to finish only lends credence to her poor intellect.
So give it up folks. Your are dealing with a phony celebrity who is nothing but an empty skirt.

Posted by: gammelfis22 | February 7, 2011 6:43 PM | Report abuse

Palin's degree in journalism

comes from which of the 4 colleges she needed to graudate?

Can't you just imagine the glory of THAT
training? She is an idiot.

I like Capehart, but does he need THAT headline to get some readers? Quit it,
use your space for something at least
reasonably intelligent

Posted by: whistling | February 7, 2011 6:47 PM | Report abuse

Someone wrote: "Thanks to the great visions of President Obama, the invincible triple Islamic Alliance of Egypt, Iran and Turkey will put an end to Israel."

Guess the writer removed his tin-foil hat and let the monsters in his head.

Posted by: okiedeadhead | February 7, 2011 6:47 PM | Report abuse

It seems once again, the op-ed writers of WaPo have nothing else to write about, so they go after Palin. Look Sir, we get it. She isn't the best speaker, but at least her heart is in the right place. I wish I could say the same for our 44th President. He sure can talk, but I wish I knew where he is taking us..........

Posted by: Jsuf | February 7, 2011 6:50 PM | Report abuse

It is time to stop quantifying Alaska’s most famous runaway mom as “Governor” or “Former Alaska Governor” or “Potential 2012 presidential candidate.” The term “Political Celebrity” is a more accurate as a modifier, since she is not an elected official.

Her claim that the US faces the same choices it did in 1964 when Ronald Reagan delivered his Goldwater opening act speech is absurd in its gloss. "Reagan saw the dangers in LBJ's Great Society.” So did everyone else older than, perhaps, 17 – The War in Vietnam and the Civil Rights Movement come to mind.

Her protected free speech is, after all, just a speech and thoroughly unmemorable. Reagan’s “call to action against a fundamental threat to freedom” was about communism. Had she said that Reagan "refudiated" communism, I would have been impressed.

Posted by: teamac | February 7, 2011 6:59 PM | Report abuse

I totally agree with Sorkin. It has dumbfounded me for two years why the Republican party/tea partiers want to glamorize the dumbness of this woman and others. That is alarming. Every time Palin opens her mouth and the rambling garble spills out of her mouth like we have just read, I am stunned. And I thank God that McCain was not elected! You may or may not agree with or even like Obama but there is no comparison between his intelligence and hers. She CANNOT speak coherently and alarms me with her statements. There isn't an uplifting or kind word that comes out of her mouth.

Posted by: sharronkm | February 7, 2011 6:59 PM | Report abuse

Palin- And nobody yet has explained to the American public what they know, and surely they know more than the rest of us know, who it is who will be taking the place of Mubarak. HUH?

Palin- I want the mainstream media, and I've said this for a couple of years now, I want to help 'em. I have a journalism degree, that is what I studied. WHAT?!

Palin- in regards to understanding all the situation there in Egypt, and in these areas that are so volatile right now, because obviously it's not just Egypt, but the other countries, too, where we are seeing uprisings. Whaaa? Care to name one of the others?

Palin- I want to help them build back their reputation and allow Americans to be able to trust what it is that they are reporting. We're so far from being able to trust what so many of the mainstream media personalities, characters, feed the American public that it scares me for our country. Uhhh, like the President wasn't born in America, or you can see Russia from your front porch. Aaarrgghh!!

Posted by: minco_007 | February 7, 2011 7:00 PM | Report abuse

Although many glamorous people are quite stupid, the point that seems to elude the media is that all stupid people are not glamorous.

Posted by: BurfordHolly | February 7, 2011 7:02 PM | Report abuse

Capeheart are you scared of her or what?
Wow her handling after she was accused of basically shooting Mrs. Gifford.
Don't support her but I know a smear campaign when I see it.
Millbank realized it how bout you sir?

Posted by: joeortega4 | February 7, 2011 7:07 PM | Report abuse

I do not trust Sarah Palin on the issue of Egypt or on any other issue. Her comments on any issue belies her ignorance and stupidity. Sarah Palin is neither thoughtful, nor well informed about any public policy or international affairs. I don't even understand what she said on the issue on Egypt and most people do not even understand her comments. In fact, I don't even think that Palin herself understands what she said. Palin simply lacks credibility. The media should just stop listening to Palin and ignore her as most Americans already have.

Posted by: abishop2 | February 7, 2011 7:12 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: abishop2 | February 7, 2011 7:13 PM | Report abuse

Palin is the hellspawn of Ronald Reagan.

The media let "Teflon" Ron babble senselessly for years, while the Democrats were dumbfounded by Reagan's incoherence.

Reagan showed that the media was unwilling to call bu11shit on practically anything.

Palin is the Chuck Yeager of gibberish, taking it to supersonic speed.

Posted by: BurfordHolly | February 7, 2011 7:16 PM | Report abuse

I support Dana Milbank's call not to mention or elevate this person for the entire month of February and suggest Jonathon Capehart do the same. A media creation will vanish without the media spotlight.

Posted by: fairfaxvoter1 | February 7, 2011 7:19 PM | Report abuse

If the world was as simple as Palin, her apologists, and, sadly, whichever party is out of power, then we would have been greeted in Iraq as liberators. Reagan was wise enough to use diplomacy on the powerful and to attack Grenada.

Posted by: bosco11 | February 7, 2011 7:26 PM | Report abuse

Sarah Palin is a great alchemist. She can turn incoherence into CA$H.

Posted by: stecroix | February 7, 2011 7:36 PM | Report abuse

underhill wrote:
Hitpoints said:

"Truth, now: what makes you so smart? And who told you you are? Mommy?"

@underhill: if you go back and read what I wrote, and the rest of the comments, you'd (hopefully) realize what you attributed to me was written by someone else, and I was responding to that person by quoting their statement.

Posted by: hitpoints | February 7, 2011 7:57 PM | Report abuse

Wake up call? How's this for a wake up call. Palin had nothing to do with the Tucson shooter and Palin didn't but she did respond to the ridiculous claim by the leftist Sheriff Dupnik that she and Rush were responsible. Palin is correct about the lame stream media. It's the pubic who has made Fox News number 1. Palin is not a loonies like the Democrats and the MSM portrayed O'Donnell. It only worked one time for this last election. It won't work all the time. Republican women are not stupid or loonies because their Republicans. Palin's dark speech about Reagan. Dark? What are the people supposed to envision because you used the word dark. Give me a break.

Posted by: houstonian | February 7, 2011 8:00 PM | Report abuse

Palin can't even utter anything comprehensible! She tries to sound intelligent, but she steps on her own words with nonsense. OMG! She's hopelessly illiterate and reeks ignorance. What college could EVER graduate such a poor excuse? John McCain needs to apologize one of these days for siccing her on us.

Posted by: Maerzie | February 7, 2011 8:02 PM | Report abuse

So, does Palin see herself as a "sane and sound mind"?? She is so funny, trying to sound as if she even has any HINT of waht all is involved in such complex matters between countries. Not to long ago, this "experienced? woman of the world" didn't even know the duties of our own Vice President OR that there is both a North Korea or South Korea, muchless knowing anything about their diferences.

I guess we should pity her! She is gutsy enough to put her ignorance up in front of the entire world on display, not even realizing that she is a laughing stock.

Posted by: Maerzie | February 7, 2011 8:11 PM | Report abuse

We all know a lot of stupid people with an opinion. Sarah is certainly entitled to hers. My question is, given that she has nothing intelligent to add to the national dialogue, why is she on the front page of supposed legitimate newspapers every day. She is not at fault for being ignorant; the media is at fault for reporting ignorant.

Posted by: CharacterCounts | February 7, 2011 8:19 PM | Report abuse

The ONLY people who idolize Sarah Palin are the ones who fantasize they are looking into a mirror because they see themselves and their own ignorance in a posittion they envy. These narcissistic fools can see no more flaws in Sarah's naive hubris than they can see in themselves.

Posted by: Maerzie | February 7, 2011 8:43 PM | Report abuse

I finally figured out why Sarah's speech is so unique... When normal people speak and arrange thoughts in their mind, thinking what they'll say next, they will pause - Sarah doesn't. While she's thinking of what she's going to say next, her mouth keeps talking - filling in space, that is normally silent, with more words.

I really think she's getting ready to crack. There's supposed to be some debate in May - she'll never make it til then.

Posted by: chris76543 | February 7, 2011 10:48 PM | Report abuse

Ok so lets help Capehart here.

Sarah Palin is taking aim at the Obama Administration flip-flopping of the - first anti-democratic, than standoffish during uprising, than pro-crowd, than pro-Mubarak, now pro-Democratic.

See ? How hard was that ?

Instead Capehart re-cycles a leftist hack Sorkin "dumb" comments Who's the "dumb" one again ?

Next Capehart recycles the "blood libel of Sarah Palin" story that disgusted Jewish leaders AGREED happened to her... that David Brooks called "vicious charges" and Charles Blow called the "Tuscon Witch Hunt".

Than Capehart fails to mention that the Reagan speech drew thunderous applause by enthusiastic Reagan supporters !! somehow he missed that ? yet Capehart has the gall to lecture Palin on her well-deserved critique of crony journalism ? Unbelievable.

Her accurate critique of Obama's oil-drilling policy "road to ruin" - a policy in the Gulf declared TWICE since the spill as "illegal" by a Florida Judge is ignored an flipped into an insult of her political career.

Shameful crony journalistic behavior by Capehart.

Posted by: pvilso24 | February 7, 2011 11:07 PM | Report abuse

It would be great if palin had the guts to do what obama did on sunday- be interviewed by someone who isn't a sycophant. the president gave valuable insight into his motives and policies by letting orielly ask questions. palin should ask for an interview with rachel maddow, or chris matthews. then america would know if she's presidential material... my guess would be since there is no such an interview in the offing the answer is- not even close.

Posted by: marcawodey | February 8, 2011 5:00 AM | Report abuse

Sarah Palin was taking aim at the Obama Administration flip-flopping: first anti-democratic, than standoffish during uprising, than pro-crowd, than pro-Mubarak, now pro-democratic . See ? How hard was that ?

Instead Capehart re-cycles a leftist hack Sorkin’s "dumb" comments.

Who's the "dumb" one again ?

Next Capehart recycles the "blood libel of Sarah Palin" story that disgusted Jewish leaders AGREED happened to her... that David Brooks called "vicious charges" and Charles Blow called the "Tucson Witch Hunt".

Than Capehart insults Palin and ignores her accurate critique of Obama's no-oil-drilling policy "road to ruin" - a policy in the Gulf declared "illegal" TWICE since the spill by a Florida Judge.

Shameful crony journalistic behavior by Capehart.

Posted by: pvilso24 | February 8, 2011 10:05 AM | Report abuse

She sounds like Miss Teen South Carolina talking about geography education.

Posted by: Philbiker | February 8, 2011 12:39 PM | Report abuse

The continuous barrage of vicious hate directed at Governor Palin reminds me of the description of the mental processes of mediocre minds provided by the French literary critic Earnst Hello:

"The Mediocre Man is the natural enemy of the person of genius and conviction; an enemy at once most cold and ferocious. He opposes to them that most redoubtable of all forces, the power of inertia. The Mediocre Man is much more evil than he appears. His basic wickedness is hidden beneath his external frigidity. He peddles against the enthusiasts his endless little infamies, which because they are little are not taken to be little. He is fearless knowing that he has behind him the multitudes of his similars. He never fights knowing that he has gained the victory in advance".

This about describes the dominant personalities of what Sarah Palin describes at the "Lamestream Media".

Posted by: genecarr100 | February 8, 2011 2:32 PM | Report abuse

Go Sarah,and dont worry. No one can hold a'foot in the mouth" to lil joe biden

Posted by: wheelmaster | February 8, 2011 2:41 PM | Report abuse

"Why is this woman given so much space in a leading paper ?"

The Washington Post is a leading paper? Did I miss something?

Posted by: QuineGeology | February 8, 2011 4:45 PM | Report abuse

Whatever, Sarah. You're right up there with Krusty the Klown as a national authority. But could you quit trying so hard to sound like an eager 7th-grader?

Posted by: brucet | February 8, 2011 6:42 PM | Report abuse

Mr Capehart; all,

i'm getting REALLY tired of pointing out the following truths to readers of this forum:
1. Mr Capehart is about 1/10th as intelligent & politically astute as Sarah Palin is,
2. the VAST majority of leftist "posters" on this forum are IGNORANT, filled with HATE & PREJUDICE, HALF-educated and pitifully naive.
3. these "leftist posters" happily believe the KNOWING LIES printed every day in "The Washington COMpost", "The NY Slimes" & other so-called "mainstream press outlets" about Sarah Palin & any number of other public figures.
4. those same "posters" are so out of touch with reality that they actually believe that BHO, the "DIMocRATS leadership" in Congress & "left of center opinionmakers" CARE about them, their ideas/needs/desires/etc.
(the TRUTH is that the "political elites"/"ruling classes" laugh behind their well-manicured hands AT such brain-DEAD/feckless/ignorant people, believe the "common people" to be STUPID and would NOT spit on "their inferiors"/"regular people like us" if we all caught fire. = they are ONLY "about" their POWER/own political cronies/MONEY and the welfare of "the ruling class".)
and
5. Sarah Palin is NOT running for POTUS in 2012. otoh, she will be elected as the next junior US Senator. period. end of story.
(most people in "the mass media" KNOW that is factual but constantly "trashing" Palin "sells soap"/newsprint/air-time. = they, too, believe that their average reader/viewer/listener is as STUPID as the "ruling class" does!)

to all leftists/"progressives"/"DIMocRAT extremists", who may be reading this: PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE spend lots & lots OF $$$$$$$$$, time & effort, over the next 12-18 months, "trashing" Sarah Palin, so that whomever THE TEA PARTY selects as our candidate for POTUS can "waltz into the White House" with ease!
(fyi, the DIMocRATS have ZERO chance of controlling either house of Congress in 2013 AND "the current resident of 1600 Penn Ave" is FINISHED on 01-20-13. = the TRUTH is that the MAJORITY of voters DO NOT TRUST the DIMs with their money, the federal government OR with their LIBERTY.)

just my opinion. = i do NOT & can NOT speak officially for our county's TEA PARTY group, absent a popular vote on each issue.

yours, TN46