The Price You Pay

Sister, can you spare a seat? And, umm ... are you hot?

One of the great pleasures of Web surfing is stumbling across Craigslist postings in which music fans get down on their digital knees and grovel for concert tickets. Some, of course, do it much more artfully and amusingly than others. To wit, the dude in Northwest Washington who may or may not have been humming "When You're Alone" as he typed: Girlfriend left me, took my Springsteen tix - $100

Date: 2007-11-01, 1:06PM EDT

Looking for a little MAGIC. My girlfriend left me for another guy AND took our tix to the Monday 11/12 show. Rough week right? Looking for one ticket to just get me in the door on 11/12. If you're a cute chick who needs someone to go with, all the better! Come with me to bring two beers to my ex, and the rest of the night is on me. ;-)

When nobody nibbled, he tried again a few days later -- this time trying to make himself sound even more pitiful while also showing off a little Springsteen knowledge.

Girlfriend stomped my heart, stole my Springsteen tix - $100
Date: 2007-11-05, 11:37AM EST

At this point not sure which one is worse. I need one ticket to get in the door for the Monday 11/12 show, otherwise I get to sit home and think of my ex singing Badlands with her new guy. Ouch. Any true Boss fans wanna help a brother out? If you're a cute chick who needs a date for the show, beers on me! But I'm not gonna be picky, I just want to get in the door. Is there anybody alive out there?

Meanwhile, back at the bazar ... we found a guy in Virginia who was hoping to flip a pair of tickets to tonight's show for some hockey gear.

You'd get: Two sweet seats in Section 121, Row C -- which is nearly within spitting distance of Big Man's saxophone racks.

You'd also get: An assignment. ...[G]o to the Caps Pro Shop in the Kettler Ice Complex in Ballston to order the red replica personalized jerseys for my two sons -- one Ovechkin (Kids Small) and the other Chris Clark (Kids Medium) as well as my wife wanting a Donald Brashear jersey (Adult Large). This way if you want to put it down on your credit card and pay after the holidays, you can enjoy Springsteen now and not pay until 60-90 days later. In return, I look like a champion without an additional hit to the wallet.

Not quite "the iceman, fighting for the right to live." But close enough.

By the by, we'll be posting some thoughts on tonight's show In This Very Space. That take should be up Tuesday morning.

By J. Freedom du Lac |  November 12, 2007; 4:30 PM ET Springsteen , Ticket Madness
Previous: Meet the New Bosses: Indie Rock Finds Its Inner Bruce | Next: Incident on 7th Street Redux

Comments

Please email us to report offensive comments.

Ahhhh, Craigslist. An endless fountain of the weird amd wacky.

BTW, I live the banner for the blog. Very very nice choice in using a Les Paul.

Posted by: EricS | November 13, 2007 12:14 AM

BRUCE WAS GREAT!

THE SET LIST SUCKED BEYOND BELIEF. WORST SET LIST I'VE EVER HEARD. NEXT TIME, PLAY THE STUFF THAT MADE YOU BRUCE SPRINGSTEEN, NOT THE NEW CRAP!

Posted by: WASTE OF 2 HOURS | November 13, 2007 2:05 AM

I too like the Les Paul, but it's a lefty model! If you really wanted to rock, J-Free, you would have a right handed stratocaster turned upside down, a la Hendrix.

Posted by: sgurd0187 | November 13, 2007 10:16 AM

re: WASTE OF 2 HOURS

ahh, yes ... another one who hasn't figured out that when an artist goes out on tour right after releasing a new record, they might have the audacity to play a bunch of songs from that album ... sheesh.

Posted by: fendertweed | November 13, 2007 11:04 AM