Whole Lotta Love? (No.)

Things can change. Hell, for instance, can freeze over. (See: Eagles, the.) Or somebody can wave the possibility of a gigantic payday in front of you.

But for those looking to put money down on a Led Zeppelin reunion tour becoming a reality, you might want to read what Robert Plant said to Chuck Klosterman in a 2002 interview. Surely, Jason Bonham has.

KLOSTERMAN: Does it bother you that, in the eyes of a lot of people, the only reason John Paul Jones was not asked to participate in your 1994 reunion with Jimmy Page was financial? And that you and Page simply didn't want to split the revenue three ways?

PLANT: [Chuckles] It's like this: Led Zeppelin was a very strange, four-quadrant marriage. And when the marriage dissolved, when John passed away, I really didn't think I'd work with any of those guys again. When we were kids, Bonham and I were the toughest guys around. Nobody wanted to be around us, because we believed in ourselves so much and we were really unbearable. So when he passed, I really didn't want to stay with the southern guys-the two guys from London. I thought enough was enough, and I'd lost the one guy I'd been close to since I was 15. But when MTV asked me to do the Unplugged thing, I thought, "I can't take all the credit for this. I can't do the Zeppelin stuff and sit there with a broad grin on my face," So I asked Jimmy if it was possible for us to start writing again, without it becoming some sad Zeppelin reunion. And there was really no room for anybody else. There was no physical room or emotional room or creative room.

KLOSTERMAN: But couldn't you have toured with Page, Jones, and Bonham's son Jason on drums?

PLANT: But what the [expletive] for? John Bonham's kid isn't as good as John Bonham. Look, I know you're a journalist, so I'll go along with this question. I don't make my living by making a living. My time is so important that I can't compromise my taste-or my idea of what's right-simply to match someone else's view of what's a good, calculated move. And can you imagine what a lumbering monster that tour would have been? It would have been quite sluttish to come back firing like a bunch of hard rockers. The important thing was that Page and I decided to write again.

(Dave Grohl, by the way, thinks Bonham is pretty swell.)

By J. Freedom du Lac |  December 12, 2007; 12:03 PM ET Led Zeppelin , Reunions
Previous: Boys Who Sing Like Little Girls Are Kings Of 'The Hills' | Next: 'I Like Ike'

Comments

Please email us to report offensive comments.

Wow! I'm a big fan, but that interview shows Robert Plant to be a jackass with a huge ego.

Posted by: Some Guy | December 12, 2007 2:45 PM

Posted by: Some Guy | December 12, 2007 02:45 PM

I disagree. But those quotes will be embarrassing if they do go on tour.

Posted by: Arl | December 12, 2007 6:18 PM

Every report I read says something along the lines of "Robert Plant can't do a tour because he's touring with Alison Krauss." Really? He is? When and where are these phantom dates? I can find no indication of any such tour, and the record came out in October.

Just another thing to consider before you make your office pool bet.

Posted by: Clem | December 12, 2007 7:37 PM

Why would a supposed music reporter dig out a two-year-old interview a day after such a monumental event? What does Plants mindset back then have to do with today?

Obviously Mr. Plant thinks differently of the junior Bohnam now. At least he respects him enough to play a huge gig with him. It seems that the ancient article did not have much of effect on Jason either, despite what these 'reporters' may think.

If this was to be a one-time deal, I cannot see the guys rehearsing for six months. Maybe this is just wishful thinking but too much went into this not to take it on the road.

Posted by: Led Head | December 12, 2007 9:30 PM

Dear Mr. LedHead-in-the-Sand,
Robert Plant = mercurial.
- JdL

Posted by: J. Freedom | December 12, 2007 10:16 PM

I admire Plant for holding back on a Led Zep reunion until he's 100% in favor. No need to rush into things for the money - the feeling has to be right. Plus, based on all the reviews I've read, I'm sure Jason has earned the full respect of the other band members through his playing Monday night.

My guess is that Zeppelin plays about 30 shows maximum on a small-scale reunion tour, sticking to large festivals and noteworthy concert venues like MSG.

Posted by: SSMD | December 13, 2007 9:32 AM

Everyone's opinion of Jason Bonham has changed as he has matured and improved as a drummer. Plant obviously changed his mind at least about playing one complete show. This experience may convince them that a tour could be more than just the exercise in repetition and nostalgia they thought it would be.

Posted by: Rob | December 13, 2007 12:47 PM