Lenny Kravitz: Letting Love Rule Since 1989

He loves you more than words can say.

Dunno if you've noticed, but Lenny Kravitz has been popping up on national television to promote a new album: There was his who-let-him-in-here? performance on the American Music Awards in November, followed by his stint on NBC's New Year's Eve show from Times Square. Who knew?! (Seriously: Am I the only one who didn't think Kravitz still had enough juice to get those slots? In fact, I'm not even sure I knew he was still kicking around before I saw him on the AMAs.)

Anyway, at least one thing hasn't changed over the years: Lenny still loves to love. Dude's eighth studio album is out next week, and it's called ... "It Is Time For a Love Revolution." Which sorta sounds like it was produced by a Random Lenny Kravitz Title Generator. Same RLKTG that produced the name of the new album track, "Love Love Love," no?

Figuring we should do something to pass the time while waiting for pitchers and catchers to report (spring training, y'all!), David and I programmed our own RLKTG and ran a few tests. We're pretty sure we came up with at least a couple of Randomly Generated Lenny Kravitz Titles that are superior to the one he's actually using. But hey - it's his album, and not ours. (He can't stop me from changing the title on my iTunes, though!)

The candidates:
* "Love Is Living"
* "Hate. No, Wait - Love"
* "High on Your Heart"
* "Ain't Gonna Velveteen Love Away"
* "Meet Me in the Love Garden"
* "Lost in the Forest of Love"
* "Fly Into My Loving Arms"
* "Built Woman Can't Belong Around Love"
* "21st Century Solar Powered Love Machine"
* "I Am Ready to Say Hello to Your Heart"
* "I (Heart) to Love You, Love"
* "Field Run Heart Believe"
* "The Lenny Kravitz Love Experience"

By J. Freedom du Lac |  January 30, 2008; 3:19 PM ET Titles
Previous: They Played What, Where? Vol. 1, No. 2 | Next: More From the Chat: Hangover Music

Comments

Please email us to report offensive comments.

Has Lenny covered "Madame George" yet? "And the love that loves to love the loves to love the love..." (insert rawking guitar solo here)

Posted by: SSMD | January 30, 2008 3:46 PM

#2 and #9 are great. I think #13 might be what he calls his private video stash.

Posted by: Anonymous | January 30, 2008 4:35 PM

Don't give up your day job because it's obvious you are neither funny nor do you have any imagination. Although after reading this, you may want to start looking for another day job because with writing skills like this, you may not have one for very long.

And yes, you are the only one who didn't think. Not only about how Lenny is still a great artist after 18+ years, but I'm quite sure you don't think much at all. One of the songs off this new album is just about to go gold in downloads so mock it all you like because when the full album comes out, you'll be changing your tune. But then again, you critics have been saying the same thing all of Lenny's career so you probably won't.

Save yourself some time, save this article and print it when his next album comes out. That is if you still have a job when it does because I know Lenny will.

Posted by: Roadgod | January 30, 2008 8:27 PM

i would rather hear Lenny Kravitz than 7/8ths of the juvenile junk food "music" peddled to us.
Why not give the guy a chance....again.

Posted by: Reggie Perrin | January 31, 2008 9:16 AM

Why does it not surprise me that Kravits fans are taking this far too seriously?

Posted by: That's Amore | January 31, 2008 12:24 PM

Hilarious post, but picking on Lenny is just too easy. He doesn't have a molecule of originality in him, but I don't mind him so much. I thought he was a pretty decent live performer when I saw him open for the Black Crowes -- okay, actually they were opening for him, I think -- a few years ago.

And anyway, a guy who shamelessly apes Prince, Hendrix, Led Zep, and, er, The Guess Who -- oh, wait! That one was actually an intentional cover version! And I think he covered Prince's "Mr. Cab Driver," on purpose too . . . Well, at least he's stealing from the best, you know? And the Guess Who.

I sure do hate that "Fly Away" song, though.

Posted by: Chris Klimek | January 31, 2008 1:52 PM

Lenny Kravitz is one of the most talented musicians on our planet. Love revolution means this, if you have nothing good to say please be quiet. If you have ever seen him live or listened to the words of his original scores you may understand what talent he has. Otherwise please focus on being positive and giving back rather than taking away. May 05, Feb 06, Dec 07....LK let's love rule

SHere' Cali

Posted by: Shere San Francisco | February 1, 2008 6:15 PM

I don't think you have enough juice to be posting this rubbish! And you obviously have no idea what real music sounds like. And I suppose you call yourself a real journalist?

Posted by: Connie | February 2, 2008 5:54 AM

Lenny Kravitz is one of the most dedicated, talented and gifted musicians of our times. He is singing about love because he knows the power of love, and i think anyone who has been would know it. Nothing keeps you more closer to god. I don't understand why people would like to live in hate and hate people who are in love, rather than move towards peace and love. It is your choice. You make your life better by accepting love. No automatic generator can generate feeling of love. It is not the word, it is what it means. Hope you try to understand Lenny.

Posted by: Sid | February 3, 2008 12:20 PM

You forgot one:

"I Wanna Rock Rock Rock You Like a Washingtonian Hack Writer"

Posted by: Chet | February 9, 2008 10:52 PM

Lenny Kravitz released Let Love Rule in 1989 and Love Revolution in 2008. what's the difference after all these years?
no difference! the same old clichés.
...all this wasted time for nothing.....

Posted by: dan | April 27, 2008 3:36 PM