The Two-Minute Man, Episode 11: Predicting the Future Edition

Those fightin' Gallagher brothers sure made some magic on their first two albums.

Just yesterday I listed the Doors and the Police as two bands that were missing from the first 100 songs but would certainly be heard from soon. And who did I hear this morning? That's right, the Doors and the Police. No, I won't tell you my Super Bowl prediction.

1. "Champagne Supernova" - Oasis
Oasis has officially become my favorite band to hear on the Globe. I gave this song the ultimate stamp of approval by sitting in the car listening to the over-the-top guitar theatrics (Paul Weller!) even though I was already back in my parking spot. I sure hope "Live Forever" makes an appearance soon.

2. "Wish You Were Here" - Pink Floyd
The best Pink Floyd song? I say so, but that's coming from someone who isn't really into Floyd. I prefer Sleepy Floyd.

3. "Love Shack" - B-52's
You're what? No, seriously, you're what? To this day I have no idea what Kate Pierson is saying. Well, I just Googled it, so now I know. I didn't think she was saying actual words, but I guess I was wrong. I posit that this song is its generation's "Shout."

4. "Can't Stand Losing You" - The Police
One of the better Police tunes since it's punchy, catchy and there's even a bit of bitter humor. Humor about suicide, but still. Here's Vampire Weekend's "A-Punk", for comparison's sake. I hear plenty of similarities.

5. "She Drives Me Crazy" - Fine Young Cannibals
You know how archaeologists uncover ancient artifacts and figure out, with relative ease, what era it comes from? I feel like this is one of those songs that you can listen to for about 20-30 seconds and be like, "Ah, yes, 1989." Dolly Parton's covering this one on her upcoming album and I just don't know what to think about that.

6. "Sultans of Swing" - Dire Straits
You think Mark Knopfler ever leaves phone messages as Bob Dylan? They're buddies, so I think he could get away with it. That's probably how Dylan ended up "agreeing" to appear in that Victoria's Secret ad. Good prank, Knopfler!

7. "Runaway Train" - Soul Asylum
Back in 1993 I saw a Spin Doctors/Soul Asylum/Screaming Trees show at Merriweather. Who would have thought back then that Screaming Trees would go on to have the most success from that point on?

8. "Love Her Madly" - The Doors
We keep threatening to start this "Please Explain to Me" thing and the Doors would be near the top of my list. I guess Jim Morrison would need most of the explaining, though. I kind of dig the weird, bluesy circus music the rest of the band made but the whole Jim Morrison thing is completely lost on me.

9. "No Rain" - Blind Melon
This is the first repeat? When it was featured in the premiere edition of 2MM I said, "...only mildly irritating if heard once every four years. Sort of like James Carville." Well, two months ain't four years. Grating.

10. "You're the World to Me" - David Gray
I would like to see an intergender, adult-alternative tag-team wrestling match between David Gray and Sheryl Crow vs. John Mayer and Joan Osborne. It would be for charity, and it would at least keep them from playing music for a little while.

By David Malitz |  January 25, 2008; 4:00 PM ET Two-Minute Man
Previous: Music's Big Picture | Next: Talk Talk: Willie Nelson

Comments

Please email us to report offensive comments.

Of the Oasis stuff I've heard, that is their best. Lotta fun to sing along to.

I think the thing with Jim Morrison is that he's the rebel who died young. Kinda like James Dean, sorta. Dean was never as far out of everything as Morrison was though.

Posted by: EricS | January 25, 2008 4:08 PM

Screaming Trees success? Weren't they all one hit wonders? At least the other two have reunited.

Posted by: Hemisphire | January 25, 2008 4:10 PM

Mark Lanegan (former Trees frontman) has been putting out a lot of interesting stuff solo and in collabs with Greg Dulli and others, and other former Trees have been doing things since the band broke up. So yes, Screaming Trees were one-hit wonders too (if you care about "hits") but retain more indie cred than the other two.

Posted by: jimbo | January 25, 2008 4:57 PM

By the way, I'd reverse 5 and 6 -- FYC deserves to remained buried under the detritus of 1989.

Posted by: jimbo | January 25, 2008 5:02 PM

I really like your adult-alternative wrestling match idea (and my money is on Sheryl Crow and her muscly muscles). Next I would like to see all of the Fray and KT Tunstall v. all of Five for Fighting and Carrie Underwood, please.

Why can't Coachella just have a CAGE STAGE where Jack Johnson fights everyone in a steel cage match (for charity)?

Posted by: shf | January 25, 2008 6:17 PM

I've always thought "Wish You Were Here" was the best Floyd album. Remember when there were albums? Rather than collections of random songs?

American Idiot was an album. Pretty good one, too.

Posted by: wiredog | January 28, 2008 8:21 AM

One of my favorite things to do in the past, and even currently, is sing "Love Shack" but every time they sing the title line, replace it with "Nut Sack".

"The Nut Sack is a little ol' place where, we can get to-gether...
Nut Sack Baybeeeeee,
(my nut sack BAY-by!)

gets me every time.

Posted by: Ben W. | January 28, 2008 11:17 AM

Kate is singing: "Tin roof. Rusted..."

I saw the 1993 triple bill you mentioned as well. In Oklahoma City, though.

Posted by: bud | January 28, 2008 1:34 PM

For what it's worth, it's Cindy Wilson, not Kate Pierson, who sings Tin roof, rusted.

Posted by: no name | January 28, 2008 2:06 PM

1. "all of Five for Fighting" is one guy. I believe he just uses a 'band' name because he figured it would be more memorable than his real name.

2. I laughed at Knopfler/Dylan/Victoria's Secret prank. I'd probably rank "Sultans" #1 on this list, but I might also have a secret shrine to Mark Knopfler hidden in my house.

3. I like a lot of the Doors' music, but don't get the Jim Morrison thing either (possibly because he died about 15 years before I was born..)

4. "Oasis has officially become my favorite band to hear on the Globe." Yikes. There's not much that can beat Oasis for "least time between hearing opening notes and stabbing the station changing button". I don't know that David Gray song, and I'm sure I wouldn't like it if I heard it, but I'm still putting Oasis at #10. David Gray is passively dull and boring, Oasis is actively terrible.

Posted by: Va | January 29, 2008 9:55 AM

So how was that Spin Doctors show?

"Runaway Train," has to got to break the top 5 out of these choices. And yeah, "Champagne Supernova," is one of the best over played songs of the 90's. Not bad I says.

Posted by: sc | February 1, 2008 2:00 AM

The leg we saw was Cracker/Gin Blossoms/Spin Doctors, which meant we were in the car drinking 80 cent beers vs. $7 beers while the Suck Doctors played. Too bad R.E.M. is playing the same shed this year...

Posted by: Anonymous | February 3, 2008 12:08 AM