They Played What, Where? Vol. 1, No. 1

Was at the Chinatown Chipotle before a screening of "Charlie Wilson's War" (which, by the way, doesn't have a single Gap Band tune on the soundtrack) when an unlikely song came on the restaurant's sound system: Richard Thompson's "1952 Vincent Black Lightning."

It's a magical tune, featuring some great lines and, of course, Thompson's incredible guitar work. (How does one guy finger-picking a single six-string manage to fire off a barrage of notes like that?) But it's not exactly the sort of thing one would expect to hear at a fast food joint serving San Francisco-style burritos. A very pleasant surprise, to say the least.

By J. Freedom du Lac |  January 3, 2008; 12:50 PM ET Randomness
Previous: On Good Charlotte's 'Revival' | Next: Chuck Brown: Dancing In His 'Business' Socks

Comments

Please email us to report offensive comments.

And you didn't immediately burst into tears in the Chipotle?

I cry every time I hear that song. It's the only song that has that effect on me, and it never misses.

Sniff....

Posted by: Red Molly | January 3, 2008 1:49 PM

Chipotle always has a great mix on the speakers.

Posted by: EricS | January 3, 2008 2:16 PM

Seriously! This has happened too many times for me to remember every instance, but I know I've heard Tom Waits, Uncle Tupelo, Sleater-Kinney, and plenty of others at Chipotle that defintely stuck me as being way off the restaurant/retail playlist.

Not for nothing is the 'otle my favorite fast-food chain.

Posted by: Chris Klimek | January 3, 2008 3:18 PM

(Note to self: Ask editor about expensing Chipotle meals going forward. For "research.")

Posted by: J. Freedom | January 3, 2008 3:23 PM

The version on his Austin City Limits DVD is excellent (TV show, not outdoor festival).

So you'll share more stories about great songs heard in unlikely locations? My favorite: Under the Milky Way, by the Church, in a bland suburban shopping mall circa 1988.

Posted by: SSMD | January 4, 2008 11:16 AM

My weirdest recent encounter: maybe 8-10 month ago, Peter Bjorn & John's "Young Folks" playing in a West Virginia truck stop. The incongruity boggled my mind.

Posted by: Adam | January 4, 2008 12:59 PM

Reckless Kelly does a fantastic cover of this song.

Posted by: Anonymous | January 5, 2008 9:06 PM