'Packt Like Sardines in a Crushd Tin Amphitheatre'

Hey, brother, can you spare a ticket?

Radiohead, May 11, Nissan Pavilion, totally sold out. Cue "All I Need" here!

The swap meet and scalping are in full effect over on Craigslist, where ticketless Radiohead fans are begging, bartering, pleading and bargaining. There's also one fan who took to the board to berate those trying to sell their extra tickets at a markup.

"i just want to say that each and every one of you jerks trying to make a huge profit on radiohead tickets deserve whatever bad karma you have coming to you," this righteous Radiohead fan writes. "there are people who truly love radiohead and have waited years (maybe decades?!) to see them live who could not get tickets because YOU are illegally scalping them. if you bought them and can't use them anymore, fine - but don't make a killing off of someone else's misfortune...

"luckily i got 2 tickets - they were $53.50 each for lawn seats. i wish i had bought more now because now many of my friends cannot get tickets because of [bad word deleted] like you buying them all and reselling them at 3 times the cost. did i mention it is illegal?! i truly hate you, scalpers."

Can you feel the love?

Of course, not everybody is looking to sell their extras for, you know, extra "Dollars and Cents." Some folks are simply trying to trade.

How about two lawn tix for your two Washington Nationals Opening Night tickets?

Or two pit tickets for a Fender Rhodes?

There are plenty of proposals that involve tickets to the upcoming Wilco shows at the 9:30 club, which sort of makes sense, since there's crossover between that band's fan base and Radiohead's.

What doesn't make sense, though, is the poster who is trying to swap two Spice Girls tickets "for equally good seats for Bon Jovi or [the] Radiohead pit." (How could those three acts possibly coexist on one person's playlist?)

Even more amusing, though? This post, which wonders: "willing to discuss some sort of trade? i am looking for 2 tix to Radiohead. i have 2 tix to sold-out Live show at the 930 club that i am willing to throw into the mix."

Live! Now that's ripe.

By J. Freedom du Lac |  February 20, 2008; 12:33 PM ET Ticket Madness
Previous: Does This Frighten You? | Next: All Signs Point To Tough Competition For V-Fest

Comments

Please email us to report offensive comments.

Hate scalpers. I don't care how you paint it, if you've bought three times the number of tickets that you and your friends could use, and then turn around to make a buck (or get laid, or whatever), then I hate you.

Posted by: 23112 | February 20, 2008 1:21 PM

Hate's a pretty strong word, but I do hold a special place in the angry corner of my heart for the jackasses who buy up tickets at face value just so they can rip the rest of us off. I know there really isn't a good way to cutthem off as they will just find some other way to beat the system short of requiring everyone to pick up their tickets night of and having a mssive will call line. Still though, if you're buying tickets to resell and make a huge buck, you're scum. I can see a little mark up for the trouble, but that's all.

Posted by: EricS | February 20, 2008 2:58 PM

21st Century Radiohead just isn't worth the money or the effort. Why do so many people can get so excited about the songs from Kid A, Hail to the Thief, etc.? Mediocre electronic background music, in my unpopular opinion.

Posted by: The Heretic | February 20, 2008 3:37 PM

didn't the spice girls cancel their tour?

Posted by: Anonymous | February 20, 2008 10:19 PM

What ever happened to them going green on this tour, anyway? Remind me again: How does one get to Nissan via public transit?

It's almost too bad this is a joke. I might prefer that concert. No lights! No mics! No amps!

Posted by: J. Freedom | February 21, 2008 11:59 AM

Someone should point out to Irate Craigslist Radiohead Groupie that scalping tickets is not explicitly illegal in Virginia. There is no state law -- it is left to localities to impose anti-scalping measures. Prince William County has no such measure; ergo, reselling tickets there is not illegal.

Posted by: Scalper Scum | February 21, 2008 1:24 PM

Scalpers have been enabled and emboldened by the Internet and they've ruined the concert experience for many music fans.

The Post did an excellent article about this issue when Springsteen was on tour. Lawyers and doctors (ie. rich people with means) who had been going to see Bruce since the 1970's couldn't afford to see him now or couldn't get tix, thanks to scalpers. It's disgusting and wrong.

Posted by: Anonymous | February 21, 2008 1:30 PM

Concert tickets are property. I buy them, they're mine. If I want to sell them, I set the price. If you want to buy them, fine - if not fine. There is no inherent right to buy concert tickets. Are you going to pay me back if I mess up and can't sell my property and have to eat my investment? No? Well then, shut up. If ticket prices are too high, stay home and watch VH1.

Posted by: Raging Capitalist | February 21, 2008 2:32 PM