The Two-Minute Man, Episode 14: Let Me Go On Edition

So what's that song about, Gordon? Oh really? Don't tell Grandma.

An average week of Globe listening, with male domination back in full force. The Violent Femmes and the Cars are welcome additions to the list of artists, but the Stones and Green Day (and, to a certain extent, R.E.M.) selections featured this week leave much to be desired.

1. "Blister in the Sun" - Violent Femmes
An American classic. Sort of like Wendy's chili. Still, no amount of selling out can dampen the song's catchy, jittery excitement.

2. "Let's Go" - The Cars
The Cars are sort of like the new-wave Tom Petty. Maybe you'll never really make it through an entire album, but they have enough fantastic singles to make them the ideal radio band.

3. "The One I Love" - R.E.M.
One of the most hilariously misinterpreted songs of all time. It's always funny to see newlyweds stare lovingly into each other's eyes as they dance to this song, as the lyric "a simple prop to occupy my time" comes out of the speakers.

4. "27 Jennifers" - Mike Doughty
The former Soul Coughing frontman doesn't do his stream-of-consciousness scatting thing on this new single, but it's a pleasant enough three-minute pop single and always nice to hear a new(ish) voice on the air.

5. "It's Only Rock 'N Roll (But I Like It)" - The Rolling Stones
I only kinda like it.

6. "Tempted" - Squeeze
I think I'll have to throw Squeeze in there with Blondie for "bands I realized I just don't like all that much after a few months of listening to the Globe."

7. "Good Riddance (Time of Your Life)" - Green Day
As long as there are proms, graduations and "Seinfeld" finales, this song will never go away. Green Day has so many fantastic singles that it's kind of a shame this sappy ballad will go down as their biggest hit. I'd rather hear "She."

8. "If I Had Eyes" - Jack Johnson
I have to admit that I heard this and "Blister in the Sun" back-to-back while I was waiting in line to vote Tuesday, and this was the one that stuck in my head. It's just chilling in there, playing hacky-sack with "No Rain."

9. "I'll Be Waiting" - Lenny Kravitz
Three weeks in a row with Kravitz?! There must be some Globe-sponsored Kravitz concert in the works, as long as he can recover from his bronchitis.

10. "In the Mood" - Robert Plant
I'm still trying to figure out the Globe's strange fixation with Plant's '80s solo material. If they just want to play two Led Zeppelin songs every hour, just do that instead.

-- DAVID MALITZ

By David Malitz |  February 15, 2008; 4:41 PM ET Two-Minute Man
Previous: Uh Oh, Uh Oh, Uh Oh, Oh No No | Next: 'Once' Again

Comments

Please email us to report offensive comments.

i may be wrong for liking that plant song, but c'mon, it's definitely better than jack johnson and lenny kravitz!

Posted by: heather | February 16, 2008 3:02 PM

Can I play?? I've been reading this bloggy thing for a while now, Mr Malitz. Lord!! Why do you do this to yourself. I don't live in your town, but this station sounds like the same "Triple A" boring ass crap that is heard in every city across America. The Globe? The Mountain, The Eagle, bla bla, bla... They are all the same. I guarantee you these songs were played on just about every "tipple A" station this week - my town, no exception.... Here is my take

1. "The One I Love" - R.E.M.
Best song on this list. Way overplayed though. Isn't everybody tired of REM at this point?? Couldn't they find something more interesting, like say "World Leader Pretend", "7 Chinese Bros" - or even "Bang & Blame" would have been more welcome...

2. "Tempted" - Squeeze
Like "Alison" by Elvis Costello. Beautiful - but could you radio people find a couple other songs on that greatest hits album?? "Slap and Tickle" or "Cool for Cats" would be a good start.

3. "Blister in the Sun" - Violent Femmes
If Rhino ever adds on to their Frat Rock series this should be included. Very "Louie Louie". And I mean that with all the great and cliché associations.

4. "It's Only Rock 'N Roll (But I Like It)" - The Rolling Stones
You were dead on with your comment here.

5. "In the Mood" - Robert Plant
I like this one. You radio guys should use sparingly though. Everything in moderation. when this was a hit the airplay was unbearable. The song is long and monotonous - once in a great while it's nice though. Helpful hint: segue into "Steppin' Out" by Joe Jackson. The only other solo tracks by Plant worth hearing are Slow Dancer(long and loud) and Far Post (a b-side that got lots of play in it's day).

6. "Good Riddance (Time of Your Life)" - Green Day
Yuk.

7. "Let's Go" - The Cars
I agree that The Cars sound good on the radio. But this one?? One of their worst. The Chipmunks do a far superior cover on their Chipmunk Punk album.

8. "If I Had Eyes" - Jack Johnson
Double yuk

9. "I'll Be Waiting" - Lenny Kravitz
OK - I stuck with this guy longer than most. I get off the bus after "5". Can we just allow this guy to fade into obscurity.

10. "27 Jennifers" - Mike Doughty
Beatnik or poseur. Well he's definitely not a Beatnik.

Posted by: Radio Is The Sound Salvation | February 17, 2008 5:56 PM

Swap Plant and Doughty and it's fine...

Posted by: jy | February 18, 2008 10:03 AM

I feel like the Globe is turning into DC101 from the late '80s and early '90s - classic rock, plus some new tunes, and always a dollop of Robert Plant (why not the duets album with Alison Krauss?).

Posted by: Hemisphire | February 19, 2008 1:12 PM

They do play "I'll Be Gone" off that album every so often hemisphere. Funny, that Greenday song was originally suppsoed to be an anti-ballard dressed up as one. The opening line on the album version is an obcsenity. I will grant though that Greenday themselves have dropped the "anti-ballard" thing and just play it straight in concert now.

Posted by: EricS | February 19, 2008 2:17 PM