"Which Is The Good Nickelback CD?"

The good Nickelback album?

So I'm minding my own business in a record store over the weekend, browsing the used CDs section, debating whether I should fill in my Morrissey back catalogue, when a woman standing next to me asked a question.

"Which is the good Nickelback CD?"

I just stared at her for a couple seconds and then she kept going. "There are, like, four here," she said, with a bunch of discs in her hands. "Do you know which one is the best one?"

Now, it's not like I'm an employee of this store and had some sort of obligation to help her. A few possible replies quickly ran through my head. How would you respond?

What did I do? It took some self control, but I went with the last option. It's part of my 2008 pledge to only be a total jerk when absolutely necessary.

By David Malitz |  February 12, 2008; 8:55 AM ET Randomness
Previous: Quote of the Day: Dolly Parton | Next: Mariah, Droppin' Science

Comments

Please email us to report offensive comments.

You have to try REALLY hard not to be like Jack Black in High Fidelity in a situation like this, but it's worth it. Better to plead ignorance than come off like an arse.

Posted by: 23112 | February 12, 2008 9:39 AM

I would have gone with A), B) AND C) if that were an option...

Posted by: jy | February 12, 2008 9:45 AM

I thought this might be one of those unanswerable questions... you know, "how many angels can dance on the head of a pin?", "how many roads must a man walk down?", "which is the good Nickelback CD?"....

Posted by: kevin r | February 12, 2008 9:54 AM

You should have suggested that she pick up the one entitled "DAUGHTRY."

Posted by: J. Freedom | February 12, 2008 10:05 AM

DAUGHTRY,

or Creed,

or...

Posted by: EricS | February 12, 2008 10:41 AM

i would have liked to say A but my manners would force to me to say E.

Although i can't promise that the look of horror and disgust on my face wouldn't escape the person's notice...

Posted by: around | February 12, 2008 11:37 AM

Nickelback's catalog is pretty consistent, actually, since each of their CDs make pretty good drink coasters.

Posted by: Tom | February 12, 2008 11:48 AM

Posted by: Not Hip | February 12, 2008 12:51 PM

hahaha, I definitely would have gone with a blank stare. And to Not Hip, liking or disliking Nickelback has nothing to do with being indie or hip. It's just horrible music.

Posted by: who cares about hip? | February 12, 2008 1:05 PM

Not Hip,

Not liking Nickleback is just about the realization that in 10, no make that 3 years their music and their fans will fade into the ether never to be heard from again.

Its not mean spirited, it does not come from a mean place in some hipsters heart. It just comes from a realization that over produced bland rock music has existed for 50 years now, and those groups or solo artists (see Peter Frampton) do not make great music that any one will listen to after their hype goes away and the new over produced rock band shows up (see Daugherty).

Sorry to break it too but nickleback is this decades creed. When was the last time someone broke out that awesome creed record they were rocking to 10 years ago.

Posted by: I am not Hip | February 12, 2008 3:11 PM

Sigh...
I am so sick of the pretentious posers, who drool at the mere mention of some overhyped act as the second coming of the Beatles.
I'd mention names but I don't want to upset some of those delicate constitutions out there.
Today's next big thing is almost guaranteed to be back asking folks if they would like fries with that, this time next year.
Is Nickelback deep?
No, they never claimed to be anything but a rock and roll band.
Do they sell albums? Yes, quite a few in fact.
Isn't that the idea?
No one ever said the fast food chains were unworthy because they didn't sell haute cuisine.
Some times a hamburger is just a hamburger.
And some times music is just music.
It doesn't have to change my life.
Brightening my day is enough.
And if you are looking for more than that, you really do need to get a life.

Posted by: Sideshowgeorge | February 12, 2008 3:38 PM

The correct answer is, "They're all pretty much equal."

Posted by: guyminuslife | February 12, 2008 4:37 PM

On the other hand, it's sort of inexplicable why people get off on hating certain kinds of music.

Posted by: guyminuslife | February 12, 2008 4:45 PM

For me it's that they're not "good" enough, or "not horrible" enough. I would have gone with "A" and then suggested some good music. I like to help, too. -E

>Nickelback is great rock music. Sorry if its not "cool" or "trendy" enough for all of the indie and hip music people out there. I would of gladly helped her out.

Posted by: Jet Age Eric | February 12, 2008 5:45 PM

Sideshowgeorge,

The best answer on the list. When I listen to Nickelback I have fun, I sing along, play air guitar, get a little happier on the way to work. God forbid anyone likes a rock band that's not from Britain.

Posted by: dpault | February 12, 2008 8:12 PM

Sideshowgeorge:
>Do they sell albums? Yes, quite a few in fact. Isn't that the idea?

Mmmmm, no.

Did we learn nothing from the "Johnny Bravo" episode of "The Brady Bunch"?

I'm just happy I don't live in Canada and have to hear them on the radio every third song...

Posted by: Jay-El | February 16, 2008 1:14 PM

I'm not a Nickelback fan,by any stretch of the imagination, but I quite like the Long Road CD (it's the only one I own).

I dont get the Nickelback hate at all, for one. It's catchy, got good hooks and melodic lyrics. It aint grand, but it aint half bad either. I understand the people in Canada who are force fed a steady diet of Avril and Nickelback get sick of it, but here in the states it's prefectly harmless, pleasant even Rock and Roll.

Posted by: Gelf13 | February 20, 2008 12:30 PM