The Return Of 'No Rain'

David Segal has a story in today's Post about Blind Melon's return from the grave. Lead singer Shannon Hoon died 13 years ago, but the band has revived itself by replacing Hoon with ... a guy who has a Shannon Hoon tattoo. Huh.

Blind Melon 2.0 plays tonight at the 9:30 club, and the centerpiece of the set list will, of course, be "No Rain," the 1992 single that made the band famous. It's also the single that made more than a few people hate Blind Melon - largely because of Hoon's nasally whine.

That damn Bee Girl video didn't help, either.

This may be the minority opinion, though. In the inaugural edition of The Two-Minute Man, David gave "No Rain" a little bit of love, ranking it sixth, ahead of songs by the Georgia Satellites, Green Day, Death Cab for Cutie and Iggy Pop. "What a blast from the past!" David enthused. "Bee girl, buzz clips, Alternative Nation! C'mon, that opening riff is timeless. And the late Shannon Hoon's voice is ... only mildly irritating if heard once every four years. Sort of like James Carville."

Ah, the old damning with faint praise trick. Nice, David. Nice.

So, where do you stand on "No Rain"? Are you with me? Or against me?

By J. Freedom du Lac |  March 3, 2008; 9:52 AM ET Annoyances
Previous: Her Song: Talking Taylor Swift | Next: Dan Tyminski's Well-Timed Encore

Comments

Please email us to report offensive comments.

C'mon J. Free -- how are we supposed to rank these 5 vortexes of suck against each other? As I read each new option, I was like Homer Simpson, frozen in ice holding a portable TV, thinking: angry, more angry, more angrier, must kill.

Posted by: WoW | March 3, 2008 10:43 AM

I dig No Rain, if only because it sends me back to freshman year every time. I also like the lead guitar work, it's just fun.

Posted by: 23112 | March 3, 2008 12:00 PM

I thought everything released by Alice in Chains trumped the suckage of everything else that was on the radio that decade.

Posted by: blahblahblah | March 3, 2008 1:25 PM

Kinda' like Belly's "Feed The Tree," the single "No Rain" did not represent the band or the album with any accuracy [although the guitar work was choice].

Posted by: mobedda | March 3, 2008 3:38 PM

While Chumbawamba has been around since the early 80s as an anarchist punk band, I never realized that Blind Melon was considered alternative. The lyrics to Tubthumping have a meaning to them besides the I get knocked down chant and listing of drinks. At least Chumbawamba had a point of view. The only thing I can remember about Blind Lemon was the whining voice of some lightweight fake hippy who couldn't handle his drugs. Pissing the night away, indeed

Posted by: Yes, I am Better than You | March 3, 2008 3:52 PM

Why doesn't anyone ever mention that this wasn't the original version of the song? It was a "dance" version that the record label made them release. Original version is slow, dark, and obviously much much better...

The band members themselves hated the popularity of that song, perhaps that was what drove Shannon over the edge

Posted by: mike | March 3, 2008 4:20 PM

You forgot 4 non-blondes. The yodeling screeching "Aye, Aye, Aye, What's going on" song.

Posted by: Columbia, MD | March 4, 2008 3:13 PM

I couldn't vote. All five of those songs are so totally, awesomely bad. Growing up in the 90s rocked. :P

Posted by: KS | March 4, 2008 3:45 PM