Where In The World Is David Malitz?

David is heading to Austin next week for his maiden South By Southwest voyage, and he's already overwhelmed by the impending madness that is the music industry's spring break.

We're here to help. Hahahahahaha.

Generously (stupidly?), David has agreed to submit himself - and his SXSW schedule - to a little experiment: He's letting you pick an opening-night show to put on his must-see list. And he's generously (stupidly? yeah, definitely stupidly) letting me vet the nominees. Silly man.

Here are the six most worthy contenders.

Bo Bice
If the Southern rock guitar solos don't drive David crazy, then all the American Idolatry surely will. Though truth be told, though, I really included Bice in the poll because I needed an excuse to get Will Ferrell onto the blog.

Kimya Dawson
This would probably be David's pick: Unlike me, he's always been fond of the Moldy Peaches, whose silly songs he liked to play on his radio show back in the day. Though probably not the big one from "Juno," which Kimya performed with Adam Green on "The View." Ick.

Daryl Hall
Yeah, sure - the fairer half of Hall and Oates has received the Pitchfork seal of approval. But still: He's Daryl Hall! Mr. Private Eyes, etc.

Kim Hiorthøy
The thought of David trying to find the ø key on his laptop after a long day of sprinting up and down Sixth Street makes me kind of giddy. (Though Hiorthøy is a pretty terrific composer. [Though, too, thinking about David trying to spell "Alt Måste Bli Anorlunda" at 2 a.m., after three too many Shiner Bocks, is also pretty great.])

Mddl Fngz
Mddl Fngz is part of the UGK family, and I lurve me some Underground Kingz (RIP Pimp C!). But come on: There's something inherently amusing about the idea of David Malitz covering a hardcore Houston rapper whose only song on YouTube seems to be a duet with Bun B that's way too NSFW for me to embed it here - what with a certain four-letter word in the title and refrain. If you must, though, you can see it here. (And I repeat: NSFW - unless you have my job, in which case, you're supposed to listen to this sort of thing on the clock.)

The Nightwatchman
Perhaps the only thing David hates more than guitar heroes is people who can't keep the politics out of their stage banter. Well, then: David, meet Tom Morello! In this side project, of course, the Rage Against the Machine/Audioslave guitar god kicks out the sociopolitical acoustic jams. To the left, to the left...

So that's the field, folks.

Vote below; the poll is open until Tuesday.

David will report back on the "winner" in This Very Space on March 13.

By J. Freedom du Lac |  March 6, 2008; 10:30 AM ET Assignment Desk , SXSW
Previous: February's Best Albums | Next: The Two-Minute Man, Episodes 16 and 17: Supersize Edition

Comments

Please email us to report offensive comments.

Daryl Hall. Because nothing says "alternative" like an 80's pop singer.

Posted by: wiredog | March 6, 2008 10:54 AM

Daryl Hall? I Can't Go For That (No Can Do). My vote is for Bo Bice. That show is guaranteed to be horrible.

Posted by: Jumbo Slice | March 6, 2008 12:06 PM

More importantly - where is David going to eat during the festival?

I say:

-Burgers at Casino El Camino in the heart of Sixth Street, or Hut's on west Sixth Street.

-Gingerbread pancakes, migas, or other brunch treats at Kerbey Lane, near 35th Street and Lamar or on Guadalupe and 24th Street.

-Barbecue at Ruby's, 29th and Guadalupe (featuring free-range beef).

-Cheap, tasty Mexican food at Las Manitas, North Congress Ave and 2nd Street, or Curra's on Oltorf east of South Congress.

-Mid-priced, tasty Tex-Mex at Guero's on South Congress.

-Expensive, but wonderful interior Mexican cuisine at Fonda San Miguel in North Austin (off Burnet Road - ask the locals how to get there).

-Southern soul food at Hoover's, Manor Street and East 26th Street just east of I-35.

-Jersey-style pizza at Frank & Angie's, next to Hut's on west Sixth Street.

David must also visit Waterloo Records and the new Whole Foods world headquarters, both at Sixth and Lamar.

Posted by: SSMD | March 6, 2008 12:20 PM

What? No Constantine Maroulis showcase?

Posted by: ggw | March 6, 2008 12:43 PM

oh this is soooo great. i love the idea of David having to go to a crappy Bo Bice show but i fear that Bo might just stick to Allman Brothers covers and pull off a decent show (in which case, it will be futile since the point is for him to review a crap show).

I voted for MDDL FNGZ b/c even though it might not be a crappy show, he might just be a teensy weensy bit uncomfortable at an underground rap show that's sure to be down and dirty.

sigh...can i vote for all of them (minus the Moldy Peaches)? such great choices!

Posted by: around | March 6, 2008 3:59 PM

All you Daryl Hall naysayers need to go out immediately and listen to his solo album "Sacred Songs", followed by a spin or twelve of Robert Fripp's "Exposure" (the bonus CD on the 2006 release is a good choice).

David, go see Daryl.

Posted by: larry mac | March 6, 2008 4:49 PM

2 thoughts:

1. Bo Bice and Daryl Hall both made the list? what, did Malitz lose another Van Halen bet?

2. So, J. Free, now that you've maligned yet another American Idolator, how soon before the kidz start posting that "u dont now whut ur talken about"?

Posted by: WoW | March 6, 2008 5:01 PM

Do you know what I would give to get to go to this and just see Bo Bice. Well I was willing to drive 3+ hrs after work, then drive back home from a 1 a. m. show to get back to work the next morning with no sleep. Hopefully he will be at something soon close that I can see him!

Posted by: Jen | March 6, 2008 9:28 PM

Are there still three hearts in the happy ending machine?

Posted by: Phil | March 7, 2008 11:23 AM

I'll drive how ever far I have too just to see Bo Bice..If you have never seen him in concert I suggest you do..Don't know want your missing out on..

Posted by: Sharon | March 7, 2008 6:06 PM

What I'd give to see this guy onstage. While I enjoy his latest "See The Light" album,
I also love his "American Blood" song. I hope he puts that in his next cd.

Posted by: vix | March 8, 2008 9:34 PM

I just got back from MO. I live in WA. Yes, that's right. That's how far I'll go to see Bo Bice. I've been to Nashville, GA., CA.,NV., and AZ. To see Bo live is one fantastic experience. Next I'll go to AC. He totally rocks and his band is amazing.

Posted by: Donna | March 9, 2008 10:05 PM

Hey, Bo Bice actually rocks!

Posted by: Howard | March 11, 2008 12:55 PM

I have to totally agree with Howard.

I had the pleasure of going to a Bo Bice concert. The guy puts on a really good show especially when most musicians no longer step it up and actually rock the way their predecessors did. He gets the crowd involved too. It was like being at an actual rock concert. Imagine that? Bo might actually surprise some people who haven't seen him.

Posted by: Elizabeth | March 11, 2008 4:52 PM

Do you really think this is new thing? Your blog is really good to me, I read it to get useful info, but sometimes I'm bored to tears.

Posted by: Jon | April 6, 2008 12:29 PM