Official Virgin Festival Lineup, Vol. 1

See you in Balmer, bruh.

Finally, some real news about Virgin Festival 3.0 Virgin Mobile Festival 2008, which will be held Aug. 9 and 10 at Pimlico Race Course in Baltimore.

The headliners, as announced today by Sir Richard Branson, will be Foo Fighters, a newly reunited Stone Temple Pilots, Nine Inch Nails, Kanye West and Mr. Festival himself, Jack Johnson.

The Foos are the least surprising name in the group, given that DC101's Elliot Segal "accidentally" confirmed them on the air in late February. Even before then, Producer David made the Foos his first guess in the original Official VMoFest Predictions post.

I'd called the STP booking in the comments section of that same post. (Too bad I didn't do nearly as well with my March Madness bracket. Thanks a lot, Georgetown.) Scott Weiland hinted that the group might reunite when I interviewed him in advance of last year's festival.

The Nine Inch Nails buzz really began to heat up when they (he?) announced their (his?) US tour and there was no DC date - and nothing on Aug. 9 or 10, either. Last time I saw Nine Inch Nails at a festival, by the way, was 14 years ago at a little thing called Woodstock '94. NIN's ferocious, mud-covered set was the highlight of the weekend.

Jack Johnson is a little bit surprising since he's one of the headliners at the competing All Points West festival in New Jersey on the same weekend as VMoFest. (He's booked for Sunday there, meaning he'll be in Baltimore on Saturday. No word yet re when the other acts will be slotted.) Of course, Johnson just loves him some festivals. He seems to be following Matisyahu's lead and playing just about every big music gathering in North America this year, from Coachella and Bonnaroo to the Outside Lands Festival in San Francisco and the Kokua Festival in Honolulu.

As for Kanye - can't say I saw that one coming. Especially since he'll be at Nissan in May with Rihanna, N.E.R.D. and Lupe Fiasco. But I think he'll be an excellent addition to the lineup. Now let's see if he can convince Daft Punk to join him.

The full lineup and ticket price information will be out "in the coming weeks," according to a festival rep.

"When the rest of the artists are announced, everyone will see that we have remained true to form in our quest to provide nothing but the very best bands in the world from the start of the day through the final notes," VMoFest booker-producer-promoter-golf cart driver Seth Hurwitz says in the press release. "People have come to rely on us for this, and this year's Virgin Mobile Festival will feature the most solid and exciting lineup ever."

So what do you think? Are you inclined to go? To skip? To wait until the rest of the lineup is announced to make your decision? To see the weather forecast for that weekend? How would you divvy up the headliners if you were king (which is to say, Seth) for a day? Do tell.

=========

ETA: Hurwitz is fully aware of the catcalls about the headliners being too mainstream. In fact, he was reading the comments here and the threads on the 9:30 club forum while I was on the phone with him Tuesday. In Wednesday's Style section, he says: "This show is for the people, not the self-congratulatory hipsters. It's for them, too, but not only for them." Fightin' words!

There wasn't room for this in Wednesday's story, but Hurwitz also says: "It's funny - by having mainstream acts like we always do, we've turned a lot of mainstream music fans on to very cool bands and we've turned some heads with the so-called hipsters. I can't tell you how many people who were complaining about Panic at the Disco [before last year's festival] told me how great they thought they were. I knew i would take a lot of heat from the ultra-hipsters, but I believe in my taste and my abilities to judge music, so I put them on."

Hurwitz also states the obvious: That the headliners announced Tuesday are just a sliver of the festival's lineup. "I didn't want people just to see those big names and think that's it. I'm still working on the lineup but I needed to reveal the top acts so people would have some idea of what we're doing. But it's by no means the whole picture. There's a lot more to come."

As always, the cool factor, whatever that is, will go way up the further down the lineup you look. But, of course, you can't see the full lineup yet. So...

As for the presence of All Points West this year, Hurwitz insists that having a competing festival on the same weekend, on the same coast, isn't an issue for VMoFest. "It's not like we lost any bands to them," he says. "They're doing their thing, we're doing ours. They have some of the same bands we have, but we certainly didn't lose any bands to them." So there will be more crossover than just Jack Johnson? "Not too much, but I don't want to punish bands just because they're playing up there. I'm not going to paint myself into a corner that way."

By the by, one act that was heavily rumored to be heading to VMoFest but ultimately won't be there: Oasis.

By J. Freedom du Lac |  April 1, 2008; 12:59 PM ET Virgin Festival
Previous: The Two-Minute Man, Episode 18: Long Awaited Return Edition | Next: So, You Love Jens Lekman.

Comments

Please email us to report offensive comments.

I will be there!!
not for jack johnson or foo fighters..everyone else

Posted by: kimmy | April 1, 2008 2:07 PM

This isn't some April Fool's joke? what a snoozefest.

Posted by: really? | April 1, 2008 2:37 PM

APW is the same weekend and that one has Radiohead, I may just do that instead.

Posted by: TJ | April 1, 2008 2:59 PM

I also saw NIN at Woodstock '94, and their performance, followed a still ferocious Metallica and Aerosmith is still one of my favorite concerts.

Posted by: Hemisphire | April 1, 2008 3:24 PM

Is the STP reunion sticking? If it's a one-time deal I might just have to go. I'll wait for the rest of the line-up to decide.

Posted by: msto | April 1, 2008 3:29 PM

From what I can tell from NIN's touring schedule they will be on Sunday. Which is good for me as I'm already booked into something else in Baltimore for Saturday. I'm thinking they might go for a softer Saturday and a harder Sunday. Last year was kind of the same.

Posted by: EricS | April 1, 2008 3:43 PM

Let's party like its 1999!

Posted by: Paul | April 1, 2008 4:12 PM

The 1999 comment was on point. I guess new bands just don't have the drawing power the old ones do. Maybe their audiences are older and therefore more able to afford a couple hundred bucks in tickets. I mean, all but Kanye established mainstream careers in the 90's. . . I'm waiting to see who else is on board before I make a decision on this one.

Posted by: robgoose | April 1, 2008 4:23 PM

i hope its april fools, lets really hope they sneak some big name like daft punk in behind those headliners

Posted by: bill | April 1, 2008 4:38 PM

Let's kidnap Radiohead and force them to play at the Virgin Fest instead of APW. Move Jack Johnson to the children's stage, just before nap time.

Posted by: SSMD | April 1, 2008 5:00 PM

Green Day blew everyone away at Woodstock. Period.

Posted by: dcboog | April 1, 2008 10:52 PM

@dcboog: Green Day's set was memorable (and not only for the mud fight), but the raw power and intensity of NIN's performance was breathtaking. There was nothing quite like it that weekend - and, in fact, it remains an all-timer for me.

Posted by: J. Freedom | April 2, 2008 10:07 AM

As you can tell by my screen name, I'm a self-congratulatory hipster and won't be there. "The Stone Temple Pilots are elegant bachelors, they're foxy to me are they foxy to you."

Posted by: Yes, I am Better Than You | April 2, 2008 10:29 AM

I really really want the Raconteurs...makes sense since there record just came out....and id be really devistated if WOLFMOTHER didnt show up seeing how there new record comes out sometime in months june or july. THeres nothing i cand do except hope and hope.

Posted by: Johava | April 2, 2008 10:44 AM

The headliners have been announced for Virgin Fest coming to Pimlico Race Course August 9 & 10. Kanye West, Foo Fighters, Stone Temple Pilots, Nine Inch Nails, and Jack Johnson are just a few of the bands that will be there. Visit Baltimore.org/packages for great deals to stay in Baltimore.

Posted by: anna | April 2, 2008 11:52 AM

Johava, I agree, but that might look too much like a repeat of V-Fest 2006. (Both bands were excellent, but if I had to choose one to see again, I'd take The Raconteurs, hands-down.)

Posted by: jane | April 2, 2008 3:06 PM

This is exciting. I picked Kanye West back in the very first round of VFest predictions. If you could line up on the left for high fives, that would be great.

Posted by: shf | April 2, 2008 3:32 PM

The Raconteurs are already playing 2 days at the 9:30 in May, so who knows if they want to play here again. I saw NIN out at Nissan 2 years ago and it was an amazing show. I hope Trent still has that kind of energy as that would be a killer set.

So no Oasis? That's kinda a shame. I guess the wiki was wrong on that one. I wonder where that rumor started.

Posted by: EricS | April 2, 2008 6:08 PM

Gogol Bordello have the VMoFest listed on their myspace site; according to that, they're playing it August 9.

Posted by: Tom | April 3, 2008 11:16 AM

Does anyone think there will be a classic rock act? I'd love to see Bowie but will go out on a limb and say he'd probably be a headliner.

What the heck is a "hipster" anyway?

Posted by: jimmy jazz | April 5, 2008 10:10 AM

i went last year.. and this festival was amazing doesnt matter who plays

Posted by: elmo | April 5, 2008 2:16 PM

Please tell Seth to learn from Lollapalooza - now that's a lineup! Why the heck couldn't he get Rage Against the Machine instead of boring Jack Johnson. I'd rather spend my festival $$$ in Chicago this year.

Radiohead, Rage Against the Machine, Nine Inch Nails, Love and Rockets, Raconteurs, Wilco, Black Keys, CSS, Brazilian Girls, Gnarls, Bloc Party, and much more.....

Posted by: Renegade of Funk | April 7, 2008 5:05 PM

The lineup has been announced for Virgin Fest coming to Pimlico Race Course August 9 & 10. With headliners including Kanye West, Foo Fighters, Stone Temple Pilots, Nine Inch Nails, and Jack Johnson and bands including Bloc party, Cat power, The offspring, Wilco, The Swell Season, Paramore, Citizen Cope, Duffy, Gogol Bordello, KT Tunstall, Lupe Fiasco, Rodrigo & Gabriela, Sharon Jones, Lil Wayne and more you won't want to miss it!
Visit http://www.virginmobilefestival.com/#/home/ for details.
Check out Baltimore.org/packages for great deals to stay in Baltimore.

Posted by: Anna | April 28, 2008 10:26 AM