Six Questions For ... Clay Aiken

He's so pretty, oh so pretty ...

The 2003 "American Idol" also-ran and author and Broadway star, etc., has a new album coming out on May 6. It's called "On My Way Here." It's also the name of Aiken's new single. The singer called during a visit to his hometown of Raleigh, N.C.

In your new single, you sing that your "address has changed almost every year." Why don't you settle down and anchor yourself somewhere? Or is that lyric just a metaphor?
I didn't write the song, so I have to interpret it metaphorically. I have moved a lot ... but it's more about changing scenery, changing things in your life and trying to grow personally and professionally.

So it's not that you keep moving because you're afraid that your loony fans might bother you at home?
(Laughs.) No, no, they found me already. They know where I live. You can't beat 'em.

Seriously, though: Some of your fans seem kinda crazy. Do any of them freak you out?
There are very few who do. Most of them are just enthusiastic. I'd say maybe less than a half-percent of them are just woah! But then again, I probably scare some people, too. (Laughs.)

You've been playing Sir Robin in "Monty Python's Spamalot." How does the theater stage compare to the concert stage?
When I'm on stage in concert, it's usually my show and I can do what I want to do. I can't do that in "Spamalot." You have to stick to the script. You have to stand in the right place. But the biggest challenge for me was really having the fourth wall and not being permitted to break it down. We break it and respond to the audience and acknowledge their presence once or twice in the show, but not consistently. It's strange. When I'm in concert, I talk to the audience a lot, I make eye contact with people, and you can't do that here.

When you read for the show and had to show off a British accent, did you just channel Simon Cowell?
Everyone with the show is British, and many of the people I work with are British, like my manager. So [he slips into a British accent] actually, I just talk like him. I didn't have much trouble at all, do you know what I mean?

Do you still watch "American Idol"?
I have not watched in three years now, since I saw Carrie Underwood win. I've been so busy, but the show is also a little different now. When Kelly was on, when Ruben and Fantasia and I were on, it was kids next door who didn't have a chance to get a contract. Maybe Kelly would have, but Ruben and I were kind of outcast-y. I was a special-ed teacher. Ruben sang in clubs in Birmingham. Kim Locke was a lawyer. Fantasia sang in church. It was more organic, I guess. Now, my understanding is that a lot of them are coming up from having contracts already. They're pretty successful people already. And hey, if you have the talent - do it. Great. But I think one of the special things about the show was that it gave a chance to people who wouldn't have had one. It's different now.

By J. Freedom du Lac |  April 23, 2008; 11:14 PM ET American Idol
Previous: Please Explain to Me ... My Bloody Valentine's 'Loveless' | Next: PR Pitches We Never Finished Reading: Vol. 2, No. 5

Comments

Please email us to report offensive comments.

I have seen Clay on Broadway and he does a great job along with the rest of the actors. A show not to be missed Have not laughed that hard in a long time. Can not wait for the new CD.
I do agree with him about AI. So much more fun to watch when you watched the contestants change and evolve.

Not sure I would use the word pretty but wow he is looking hot in those pics!Thanks for the link.

Posted by: Diane | April 24, 2008 11:28 AM

Diane,
I agree with you on Spamalot and I agree with you and Clay on AI. AI was much better before they had moslty professional singers apply.
However, and I am a guy and maybe not a good judge of male looks, BUT Clay Aiken and hot are not words I ever though I would see close to each other.
Passable, slightly above average, maybe, but hot never! lol

Posted by: DW | April 24, 2008 12:05 PM

I saw Clay in Spamalot recently and never have laughed so hard! Clay was perfect in his several characters: as Sir Robin, the monk, a guard. His timing was excellent---and he can dance too! We already know his voice is amazing. Clay is so talented...I wish him continued success.

The comments under his picture were unnecessary. Would those same comments be written under, say, Brad Pitt's picture? Clay is a handsome man---he's matured since AI2 and it's all good. No snide comments are necessary.

Posted by: Skeezix | April 24, 2008 12:29 PM

Sorry as a female I see hot!

Posted by: diane | April 24, 2008 12:35 PM

CA: "But then again, I probably scare some people, too."

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Posted by: Catherine | April 24, 2008 12:41 PM

That guy is the gayest gay guy in the solar system.

Posted by: Fred | April 24, 2008 1:41 PM

great interview, Freedom! You rock. Clay is an honest guy, but probably too humble. The digs in the paper on his commitment to his charitable work seem like such cheap shots.

Can't wait for the new CD, but it's annoying to have to buy so many different versions to get all the bonus tracks - iTunes, Walmart, QVC. Is that typical in music marketing now?

Posted by: cee-dub | April 24, 2008 1:42 PM

Anytime I see the words 'also-ran' and 'Clay Aiken' together in an article, I know it's going to be a snide attack on the character of a fine human being....and you didn't prove me wrong. 'He's so pretty, oh so pretty' was your way of attracting all the homophobic people to your page...and, obviously 'Fred' didn't disappoint you.

But, you are wrong.....Clay isn't pretty..he's absolutely beautiful..inside and out...which is something you definitely couldn't say about yourself or 'Fred'.

Posted by: kfc-canada | April 24, 2008 2:29 PM

Sorry, Clay lovers, he just looks creepy with that "come hither" look in that photo.

Posted by: U street girl | April 24, 2008 3:01 PM

I'll come hither on that boy any time he asks. He's so hot and adorable. I'd do him twice before breakfast.

Posted by: Danika | April 24, 2008 3:10 PM

I noticed the link under "his single", isn't working. I found the validated link under his picture in this interview. The caption reads "He's so pretty, oh,so pretty". It opens up into his Myspace, and you can hear his single, which is actually very good.

Do I think he is pretty, oh so pretty? Yes. Do I think Keith Urban, and Jon Bon Jovi are pretty, oh so pretty too? Yes. So, there is nothing wrong with my taste in men.

There's nothing wrong with my taste in music either. I listen to a great variety of music. I respect each artist as an individual, and I really dislike making fun of people. Why? Because that is where your insecurity really shows.

Kudos to Clay for answering those six questions. It must have been a slow news day for the Washington Post. LOL

Posted by: Sue | April 24, 2008 7:30 PM

Hey fred I know you want him too. Why else would you post a comment on this article.
To the interviewer:
Could I suggest that you use your brain cells and come up with more interesting questions. I've seen these exact questions elsewhere recently.
Yes he is pretty hunky,adorable and oh so hawt!

Posted by: boots | April 24, 2008 8:07 PM

The jealous Clay haters that are Kelly Clarkson fans hit every website about Clay, pretend to be ex-fans, over-the-top fans, and people who accuse him of being gay. Well, Clay fans are not lowlife like them and go to Kelly articles and spew crap. To Kelly's fans: Grow up or go fight the war. Be mature for a change.

Posted by: Tyler | April 25, 2008 11:03 AM

Clay is absolutely gorgeous,hawt!! Beautiful inside, love him to death. Been a fan since he opened his mouth to audition.

Posted by: Patricia | April 25, 2008 6:53 PM

Typical smear from the Post...that's why I never read the crap paper anymore. The only loon I see is the one asking the questions. Wonder what he thinks of the Jimmy Buffet fans. They must be insane....they go to Buffet's concerts wearing coconut bras and grass skirts....I'm talking MEN and women. Did I mention that they drive to concerts in pickups with a palm tree and lounge chairs in the back....it's INSANE. LOL

Posted by: Ted | April 25, 2008 8:11 PM

Ok, I don't watch AI, don't listen to any of the winners/losers, don't think I've ever heard him sing. Saw Spamalot in St. Louis, long before he joined the cast, so I can say this with all honesty and objectivity...that. is. the. gayest. man. ever.

Posted by: Anonymous | April 28, 2008 5:30 PM