Virgin Festival Lineup Announced. Was the Wait Worth It?

In case you haven't seen J. Freedom's article or checked out the Virgin Mobile Festival Web site, here's a quick rundown of the lineup for the Aug. 9-10 concert up at Pimlico.

Saturday: Bloc Party, Cat Power, Chuck Berry & the Silver Beats, Citizen Cope, Duffy, Foo Fighters, Gogol Bordello, Jack Johnson, KT Tunstall, Lupe Fiasco, Paramore, Rodrigo y Gabriela, Sharon Jones and the Dap-Kings, the Swell Season, the Offspring, Wilco, DJ Dan & Donald Glaude, Erol Alkan, Ferry Corsten, Soulwax, Steve Lawler, Underworld.

Sunday: Andrew Bird, Black Rebel Motorcycle Club, the Black Keys, Bob Dylan, The Go! Team, Iggy & the Stooges, Kanye West, Lil Wayne, Nine Inch Nails, She & Him, Shudder to Think, Stone Temple Pilots, Taking Back Sunday, Armin Van Buren, Chromeo, Deadmau5, Moby (DJ set), Pendulum, Rabbit in the Moon, Richie Hawtin.

Some quick thoughts (feel free to leave yours in the comments):

1. It's eclectic, as promised.
A lot of the big festivals have easy descriptors, even if they aren't totally accurate anymore. Coachella is indie, Bonaroo is hippie, etc. There's an obvious alt-rock leaning for VMoFest but you've also got Hall of Fame legends (Bob Dylan, Chuck Berry), hip-hop powerhouses (Kanye, Lil Wayne, Lupe Fiasco), emo-pop sensations (Paramore, Taking Back Sunday), NPR-friendly indie-AC (Swell Season, She & Him, Andrew Bird, KT Tunstall), global alternative (Gogol Bordello, Rodrigo y Gabriela) and the usual high-profile talent in the dance tent (Underworld, Moby, Soulwax, Richie Hawtin). Will having a little something for everyone - as opposed to lots of one thing for a specific group - work at the box office?

2. Sunday looks to be especially loaded.
It already had three of the five announced headliners (Jack Johnson not being one of them) and then added Dylan, Iggy and the Stooges and Lil Wayne. That's a lot of star power, especially compared to Saturday.

3. Sunday also looks like a total Dude Fest.
She & Him? More like She & Lots of Dudes. Besides Zooey Deschanel and some Go! Teamers, it's all guys on Sunday. Saturday has plenty of female representation all over the lineup: Cat Power, Sharon Jones, the Swell Season's Marketa Irglova, KT Tunstall, Duffy, Paramore's Hayley Williams, Gabriela Quintero (of Rodrigo y ...).

4. My predictions weren't too bad.
I got one right in each round - Foo Fighters, Wilco and Gogol Bordello. Not bad. Plus the Dylan thing turned out to be true.

5. Don't be surprised to see another few names added.
Late additions last year included Panic at the Disco, Explosions in the Sky, Dan Deacon and Girl Talk, so expect to see a few more names in the coming months. Sunday could feature more longer sets; right now, that day has only 13 main-stage acts compared to 16 for Saturday.

By David Malitz |  April 28, 2008; 9:04 AM ET Virgin Festival
Previous: PR Pitches We Never Finished Reading: Vol. 2, No. 5 | Next: Parton The Interruption

Comments

Please email us to report offensive comments.

I think the set lengths are going to be about the same. Seth said that eh was saving a few good slots for bands that don't have their touring plans together just yet. I did the same counting thing when I read Seth's statements.

Being that I'm already busy that Saturday and up till Mid-day on Sunday I'm really happy with the lineup. Other than missing Chuck Berry and The Offspring I'm not too sad about missing Saturday. Sunday is totally loaded right now. Kanye and NIN. Sweet.

Posted by: EricS | April 28, 2008 10:03 AM

Do you think they're bummed after the weak reception Jack Johnson got at Coachella (and can Prince be a last minute add for us)?

Posted by: Hemisphire | April 28, 2008 10:07 AM

Shudder to Think? Wow. Is this reunion going to do more touring or is this going to be it? I know Wedren & Larson got together not too long ago but what about the other guys?

Posted by: AnotherEngine | April 28, 2008 10:12 AM

Pretty 'meh', apart from Underworld, none of that would inspire me to drag myself out to Pimlico. The very awesome Wolf Parade doesn't have an area date for their upcoming tour and does have the 10th open (they are in Toronto on the 9th). Possible late addition?

Posted by: mikef | April 28, 2008 11:17 AM

The Offspring? Really?

Posted by: jj | April 28, 2008 1:49 PM

You're right; Sunday is a total brodeo. I'm calling Vampire Weekend as a late addition, since they seem to be playing every other festival but got nothing going the weekend of Vfest, as far as I know. Please recall I was right about Kanye West.

Posted by: shf | April 28, 2008 3:13 PM

Nothing going on except their concerts in Japan on August 9 and 10.

Posted by: Anonymous | April 28, 2008 3:15 PM

okay, this line-up has me very excited. i heard Kanye's new tour is completely insane and amazing. I hope he brings some of that to the V-fest.

Glad to hear that Dylan and Chuck Berry will be there. They'll be great.

I just wish they had replaced KT Tunstell with Vampire Weekend.

Posted by: around | April 28, 2008 4:30 PM

d'oh!

Posted by: shf | April 28, 2008 5:15 PM

I can't wait for them to announce Jimmie's Chicken Shack. It's gonna be 1994 all over again.

Posted by: AnotherEngine | April 28, 2008 8:04 PM

Isn't vampire weekend lpaying Summer Sonic in Japan that same weeknd?

Posted by: Aidan | April 28, 2008 9:57 PM

Feist could be an addition ... she didn't play DC on her latest tour ... Guns n Roses too

Posted by: James Snuka | April 28, 2008 10:19 PM

shudder to think

Posted by: modelprisoner | April 29, 2008 9:00 PM

1994, try 1969. This is the Toronto Peace Festival. Can they get Yoko Ono into a bag for Sunday night?

Posted by: Self Congratulatory Hipster | April 30, 2008 10:06 AM

Given Axl's punctuality record for not starting shows before midnight, I doubt you'd see GNR (they do have noise curfews for the festival, don't they?), but who knows (it would be interesting to see if Axl lunges at former GNR/Current NIN guitarist Robin Finck)? Feist I could definitely see happening, especially on the second day. A few people here have speculated on Chris Cornell, anyone think there's a shot of that one (he and Weiland can discuss being former members of Supergroups. ha ha)?

Lineup looks good overall; psyched about Wilco and Gogol Bordello...

Posted by: Tom | April 30, 2008 11:12 AM

Anyone still think weezer has a shot at a sunday slot?

Posted by: phill | May 3, 2008 7:49 AM