Please Explain to Me ... Kenny Chesney

No shoes, no shirt, plenty popular.

It's been a few months since we rolled out this feature by asking you, the Post Rock readers/ interlopers/ commenters/ hecklers, to explain the worthiness and appeal of My Bloody Valentine's "Loveless." Decent idea, apparently, as one of my favorite music blogs recently "borrowed" the bit.

Today, Please Explain to Me returns to its proper home as I ask for your help in solving one of the great mysteries of the modern music business: How in the world did Kenny Chesney become so incredibly popular?

He's country music's reigning entertainer of the year and one of the biggest and most consistent touring draws in popular music, filling big and bigger venues.

Three years ago, Neely Tucker interviewed Chesney for The Post in advance of a show here. At FedEx Field!

Chesney sold out Nissan and Merriweather on consecutive nights last summer, and this year, he filled M&T Bank Stadium. Indeed, while his current tour (sponsored by Corona, natch) has hit some amphitheaters, Chesney is primarily playing in stadiums: Soldier Field, Turner Field, Gillette Stadium, AT&T Park (home to my lousy San Francisco Giants). As Kanye would say: He major.

The data don't lie: In 2006, Chesney sold 1.13 million tickets and grossed $66 million. Last year, he again sold more than 1 million tickets and grossed $71.1 million, second only to the Police. That's a whole lot of people buying into Chesney's laid-back island vibe year after year. It's not a fluke; it's a phenomenon.

Whereas Bob Lefsetz adores him, I'm sort of perplexed. I understand the basic, breezy appeal of Chesney's songs, even if they don't really speak to me. And he does put on a fun show. Fine: He's Jimmy Buffett with a cowboy hat. Or Garth Brooks with sex appeal.

But he's more than that. He's one of the biggest, most consistent draws in the music world - maybe not the king of the road, but something close to it. And frankly, I don't understand the calculus of his enduring crossover appeal.

Please explain to me ...

By J. Freedom du Lac |  July 18, 2008; 12:46 PM ET Please Explain
Previous: Live Last Night, On TV | Next: Six (More) Questions With ... Thurston Moore

Comments

Please email us to report offensive comments.

This is a trick question. Kenny Chesney's success can not be explained just as the dreadlocked Counting Crows guy's ability to pull superhot chicks can not be explained just as the continuing popularity of Celine Dion can not be explained.

Posted by: BillHilly | July 18, 2008 3:19 PM

okay, here's my theory, since i've questioned his success millions of time, especially while i was at college in western kentucky, hillbilly central.

about 75% of the country is populated by rednecks. rednecks aren't very intelligent when it comes to music, so they just latch on to something that's neatly packaged for them, no matter how crappily packaged it is. so here comes this "dreamboat" in his cowboy hat, guitar on his knee, singing happy frothy songs about Kegs in the Closet and pizza on the floor, and about hanging out at the beach with Uncle Kracker (who is another enigma in his own right, but thankfully he seems to have disappeared). he makes the rednecks happy.

but i too don't get it. he's not attractive. he's balding. he looks like a mouse.

it's all the same reasons why tim mcgraw became famous, b/c he's definitely ugly with a so-so voice, but wear a cowboy hat and tight jeans and the ladies love you!!!

seriously, you ladies give women a bad reputation.

i had a friend who worked at Nissan and she told me that when Chesney played there of course he sold out both nights so they had to work 50 hours straight in order to clean up after the drunken rednecks who like to mud wrestle and try to kill each other. he's just causing all sorts of problems with his fame, so he should quit while he's ahead.

Posted by: msto | July 18, 2008 3:20 PM

p.s. i mean to say "i have a friend" not "i had a friend." we're still friends. haha.

Posted by: msto | July 18, 2008 3:22 PM

The key to KC's success is to understand that music means different things to different folks. Chesney fans tend to be of the suburban married housewife persuasion who's going out with her fellow suburban married housewife friends. They're looking for music to entertain them. Not to challenge them or broaden their horizons. They get that courtesy of their families.

Kenny delivers that sort of music. I bet you've never heard of a poorly produced or poorly peformed concert from him. He's money in the bank and his fans rely on him for that. They can leave the family behind and hang out with their girlfriends for a night and have fun. That's it. Fun. Understand that, and you'll understand his sucess.

Posted by: Columbia, MD | July 18, 2008 4:18 PM

I am a lifelong resident of western Kentucky, and msto, I love country music and I loathe Kenny Chesney. For anybody who's ever called ME a redneck, I always say that if you think I am a redneck, then you have never seen a redneck. I've been here and there and lived in several states, and I'm telling you, you can find places far more podunk than western Kentucky. If you meant "hillbilly central" as a compliment, then I take it. :)

Posted by: Jennifer | July 18, 2008 6:27 PM

KENNY ROCKS !!!!!!!

Posted by: Janice | July 18, 2008 9:26 PM

I am also perplexed by KC's success. As a big fan of country music, he is one artist that I cannot stand. I, too, find him unattractive with an annoying voice. But unlike "msto," I love Tim McGraw, who is attractive in anything from his tight jeans to a suit. But much more than that, he provides variety in his music--ballads, fun party songs, poetic songs, throwbacks, everything. He mixes it up and keeps it interesting, along with other artists like Dierks Bentley and George Strait. But Chesney sings the same three songs over and over again, just with slightly different lyrics. I guess he had success with that and is giving the people who like those kinds of songs what they want. All I can say is that I hope people come to their senses and get sick of him like they did with Toby Keith.

Posted by: Sue San | July 18, 2008 9:36 PM

While some may not agree with it or understand it, it's tough to argue the point about a man that's played to over a MILLION fans every Summer for the last 6 years. While you may not 'get it,' clearly many people do, and I agree with the post from Columbia, MD..."He's money in the bank and his fans rely on him for that. They can leave the family behind and hang out with their girlfriends for a night and have fun. That's it. Fun. Understand that, and you'll understand his sucess." Seriously, if you can't go to a Chesney show and have a good time, then something is wrong. As a fan, it's an amazing thing to know that I can purchase a ticket to his show and know, without a doubt, I have just purchased the best two hours of my Summer.

Posted by: Erin | July 18, 2008 10:39 PM

Kenny is a real life dream that has come true, he's a small town guy who could have grown up next door to any of us, (you know the small town guy who made it big) he like's to have fun and you can see it at his show he gives the BEST show ever!!
He hasn't let any of his fame make him untouchable and that's what everyone likes!
Even yes us REDNECKS & HILLBILLY'S. (I'm from Knoxville Tennessee and proud of it)

Posted by: Debbie | July 18, 2008 11:26 PM

Kenny's music touches people. His songs make you think about a time, people or a place in your life good or bad. He is a dedicated artist that tries to put the best music out there for his fans. Also he puts on a whale of a show. He wants his fans to have a good time at the show and he succeeds. These are just a couple of reasons Kenny is so popular.

Posted by: Barbara | July 19, 2008 8:35 AM

I think its not so much what he looks like (which I think he is a cutie...that's neither here nor there), its what he represents and how he comes across to his audience. Like Barbara in the comment about said "Kenny's music touches people". It represents all walks of life regardless of if you are "redneck" or not! His concerts are just a time of release and a time to have fun. He makes every single audience feel special. He appreciates his fans and we appreciate him!

Posted by: Leah | July 19, 2008 10:50 AM

As a huge Kenny Chesney fan all I can really say is I personally like him and his music. Just like in life there are things I don't like. It's all a matter of perception and what appeals to an individual. And like it or not he just so happens to appeal to a Hell of a lot of individuals for a vast amount of reasons. Madonna appeals to a Hell of a lot of people, but not me in particular. But I'm not so pompous as to say that "Oh, she sucks. She's just not good." Well, she obviously is to some people. Whatever.

Oh, and the argument that he's balding . . . so what. Some men are bald, some are not. Why is that a determining factor in whether you like something/someone or not? Bottome line, if you don't like it don't buy/listen/watch it and get on with your life.

Posted by: Sarah B. | July 19, 2008 11:48 AM

Rene zellweger, get in here.

Posted by: Kenny Cheesy | July 19, 2008 12:48 PM

I think Kenney's appeal is that he tells good stories in his songs. His staying power is that his stories cross all genres.
From fun times at the beach, to watching your kids grow up to soon, to a friend taken too soon. I believe he really cares about his fans and I have several friends who have seen him multiple times and they say he never puts on a bad show. He works really hard on the technical aspects of his presentation. I am not a redneck but I really enjoy most of his music for the reasons above. It seems he always finds a way to speak to me. Whether it be melancholy or happy or introspective, it just does. I have followed his career for some time now and he may have some formula that I am missing, but to me he just sings about things that I have had similar experiences at some time with and I am hooked.

Posted by: marco | July 19, 2008 12:52 PM

His concerts are always a fun time. I've been to many of his concerts over the last four years, and it's just an awesome atmosphere. Even with 50,000 people, there are no major incidents and everyone seems to be having fun. Most everyone there is just really nice and friendly. You really have to experience it, hopefully with an open mind.
For me Kenny is the main (only) attraction, because I love his music. I think he's very attractive, but then I don't care if he's 5'6 and bald!!

Posted by: Cassandra | July 19, 2008 2:34 PM

As a HUGE Kenny Chesney fan I can honestly say that he is dedicated to his fans. I was at his show in Columbia SC, and even though he hurt his foot in a bad way he still knew his fans were there to see him and what did he do? He continued to perform. Not many people would do that. Most get a little cold and cancel the show. I have also seen Kenny perform when he was sick and he told the crowd he was sick but he still performed his best. He is just a small town guy that is dedicated to what he does and his fans and that right there makes him #1 in my book. And as far as looks go, he sure looks FINE to me.

Posted by: cris | July 19, 2008 2:35 PM

I have been a Kenny Chesney fan for years and attend his concerts every summer. Currently, I live outside of Atlanta and saw him last weekend at Turner Field. I was born and raised in the Washington DC area (actually born in DC and raised in Montgomery County in Potomac - not exactly a redneck area) with all of what some earlier posters must consider the "sophisticated" crowd. I can go to any rock concert or country concert in the case of Kenny Chesney and the next day be at the opera, ballet, symphony, etc. and have equal fun at both, so he does not just appeal to the stereotype "redneck. BTW the people who work at the venues "cleaning up after the drunk rednecks" as an earlier poster put it need to realize they clean up after drunks regardless of who is playing.

Why does Kenny Chesney appeal to me? It is quite simple, and it all has to do with his music. What is obvious is that most posters here including the writer who got this thread going have never listened to an entire Kenny Chesney album in their life. Otherwise, they would know that he does have a variety of songs out there. For example, my favorites are not always the ones he releases as singles, but the ones on the album that are not released, like on the current album my favorites are Demons and Scare Me. Ever listened to either of those songs in their entirety?

BTW I agree with an earlier post what does him balding have to do with anything?

Posted by: Dannielle | July 19, 2008 3:58 PM

To J. Freedom du Lac, and anyone of you that down Kenny or just don't get him, I suggest you all go by Kenny's BE AS YOU ARE, SONGS FROM AN OLD BLUE CHAIR CD and get a real cold drink set an listen to the whole album an then you will see what we that are Kenny fan's see, this is my personal favorite CD I love it and as a REDNECK or HILLBILLY (being I'm from Tennessee) as one of you said in an earlier post I "garuntee" you too will love Kenny. He wrote and or co-wrote every song on the CD. It's the best one IMO!!

Posted by: Katie | July 19, 2008 5:29 PM

Well, I feel I must respond to this article. I just returned from seeing Kenny (for the third time this summer) at Virginia Beach. The show was amazing - as is the man himself.
Kenny show is, without a doubt, the best show out there - period. Nobody even comes close to what he does - the kabuki, the intro, the show, the band, the Entertainer of the Year - Kenny!
Kenny's songs speak to my heart - most of his fans can relate to at least a portion of what he writes and/or sings about. For a couple of hours, we are taken away - we do as Kenny suggests "Leave all your troubles at the gate..." Yes, we party in the lots, but we are not all drunks - I know that I am not. I want to remember the show - I pay a lot of money for those front seats I covet and I want to remember the show.
I am not a redneck and neither are any of my friends, but I am a country girl at heart. The POST has never understood Kenny and year after year fail to cover the concert - I even offered to help write the review once.
Kenny pours his heart and soul into his tours each year, and the hard work that he and his team do shows up there on the stage.
Kenny may not be the tallest man in country music, but he has the biggest heart and is a nice man. And if you do not think he is cute or good looking, then you are not seeing what thousands and thousands of women see - a nice looking man up there on the stage. Kenny may be bald, but he is the sexist bald man I have ever seen!
The only negative thing about the man is that his tour ends in September - but I will be there at the last show in Indianapolis.
*Listen to "Be As You Are - Songs From An Old Blue Chair" that is Kenny, the man and his music to its fullest. A truly great album, for our island cowboy.

Posted by: Judi | July 19, 2008 5:47 PM

Kenny Chesney is so popular because children to seniors can listen to his music or go to a show and enjoy it. The lyrics are clean and written from the heart about true life. Not about a "hottie" in the club. KC is a gentleman and a true role model. I'm a huge fan of his and go to multiple concerts a year. As for the person who wrote about her/his friend who had to clean the venue for 50 hours, isn't that her job? Country concert or not.

Posted by: SUMMERTIME24 | July 19, 2008 6:14 PM

Kenny could sing me the friggin phone book and I'd love it!!
So what if he is going bald I like a shaved head. His hair has nothing to do with his way of connecting with fan's or anyone. Kenny is just the guy down the street. I agree with the other post Kenny seems down to earth fame has not blown his head up. He truly loves his fans!!
I can't wait till October 14th a new Kenny album is coming. Go Kenny!!

Posted by: Mandy | July 19, 2008 8:39 PM

First, anyone that would call Kenny a redneck clearly has not met a true redneck. There is a differce between a redneck and a good ol boy. Kenny is definitely the later. His songs speak to the soul. He hasn't forgotten where he came from. He's still humble. He is just one of the guys.

Second,he is a very smart business man.

Third, Bald is Beautiful! God only gave those with ugly heads hair.

Posted by: Bridget | July 19, 2008 9:41 PM

As we fans like to say:
"To understand you have to be a fan"

Also, Kenny's fans are far from being all rednecks.

Posted by: Cookielady | July 19, 2008 10:52 PM

its a good time...period

His music isn't anything special, his looks are fading, but if you go to a Kenny concert, you know you will have a good time. Thats what most people go for, not a stunning vocal, or a fantastic performance, its an excuse to hang out and get drunk with thousands of like minded people.

Posted by: gaby | July 20, 2008 6:03 AM

WELL HERE'S MY TWO CENTS!!! I'M FROM MARYLAND, NOT A REDNECK. WENT TO PHILLY LAST NIGHT TO SEE KENNEY, KEITH URBAN, ETC. I SAW KENNY IN BALTIMORE IN MAY- THE WHOLE POINT IS-- HE'S A GUY OUT THERE DOING WHAT HE LOVES AND HE DOES IT WELL. IT'S A FUN TIME TO LET LOOSE AND HANG OUT. WHY KEEP TRYING TO ANALYZE IT????

Posted by: simonsmom | July 20, 2008 10:11 AM

I agree ~ Kenny could sing the phone book and I'd be happy. His voice and songs are like comfort food to me. He sings about life. Everyday normal things that EVERYONE can relate to ~ redneck or not! I also saw him in Philly last night and thought he was incredible! This was the third time I've seen him this summer and his shows just keep getting better! He is just a regular guy who had the guts to reach for the stars and guess what . . . he became one of the biggest ones there is. And as far as being bald ~ Who cares? Bald is beautiful and it has nothing to do with the person he is. Apparently a lot of people "get" Kenny's appeal. It's OK that you don't ~ You are just missing out! Don't over-analyze. Just sit back, relax and enjoy!

Posted by: oldgymnast | July 20, 2008 10:49 AM

He is definitely not an artist or a vocalist. But somehow, one day, he just "connected" with his fans and the rest is history. Forget all your problems and come join me. These are his words.

These are a few things I have to say:
1. He made his shows spectecular.
2. He's just singing so he can run around the stage like crazy and that engages the crowd more.
3. His songs have been played to death (whether listeners really want to hear it or not), so everybody is familiar to them to singalong and enjoy.
4. His songs are catchy. Lots of people can "relate" to the persona/stories (he has created) represented in his songs. His songs represent certain demographics of the population.
5. It's a football game atmosphere before the football season. Summer parties.
6. He has made his concerts an "event" people needs to observe. Like Thanksgiving/Christmas (for example).
7. He is the President's choice. As long as there are people who can't find fault with GWB, Kenny will be the biggest star.
8. He feeds many people. Therefore, he is influential and people have to pay attention to him.
9. He let other artists join his stadium tours. They gained exposure and are indebted to him. He gained their respect and support.
10. Some people see only what they want to see.
10.

Posted by: M. | July 20, 2008 11:06 AM

The only thing I can figure is its a big party, people tailgate and get stinking drunk before the show for hours, he also has great opening acts, I don't think its as much about Kenny as it is the atmosphere the show brings.
IMO if its about his looks or his songs it aint' happening. Mr Chesney looks like a turtle to me and his songs are all the same, he is either talking about beer and Mexico or singing some ballad that sounds just like his last one, I often find myself confused about what song i'm listening to as they all sound the same. Sheeple like to follow sheeple and if one sheeple says its good the rest follow.

Posted by: Denise | July 20, 2008 11:39 AM

If you don't get Kenny, you don't really "listen" to his music and listen all the way through his albums. His first albums could not have been more country. One of his first songs: Grandpa Told Me So, sold me on Kenny and I have not looked back. So what if he has some island sound, plays a little cover music, has lyrics everyone can relate to, he is a solid performer with a good voice and writes great lyrics.I have all of his music loaded on my ipod, listen to it almost every day. It can pick you up, let you relax with the island sounds, or rock out. The person who posted that all his music sounds the same really has not expanded beyond the hits on the radio that are played over and over. KENNY ROCKS and I think he is hotter now than ever before. He's grown into one fine looking man and puts on an incredible show.

Posted by: Fan from album # 1 | July 20, 2008 1:02 PM

I agree with the people who said that Kenny's appeal is mostly because it is obvious he loves what he does and wants to entertain. My music history goes back to the Dead, the Band, and lots of other more "intricate" music from many genres that I still love today. But it's hard to find as genuine a person as Kenny Chesney. Somehow he just oozes fun and I think he is extremely hot! Like someone said before, it is 2 hours (or more if you count the bands before him) you can count on to have fun. And I have been to Kenny concerts totally sober and never too drunk to remember every minute. It's just an experience you have to give in to, relax and roll with it and maybe then you'd appreciate it! Try it

Posted by: A big fan | July 21, 2008 12:08 AM

I've never understood the fame. I believe he sold his soul to the devil in exchange for everlasting fame, adoring fans and unlimited beautiful women.

His voice is medicore, his lyrics provincial and there is NO sex appeal.

For the record, not just anyone in a cowboy hat and jeans does it for me.

Posted by: Tori | July 21, 2008 11:02 AM

I have to say that i love the fans on here posting how much they love kenny, i love reading our so many reasons why we pay so much to see him and why we just adore the little aging man that he is...I love Kenny because no matter what I am doing inside or outside I can put any one of Kenny's cd's in the cd player sit and listen to the entire thing and I can feel every emotion possible while listening to him sing. I just came back from the Philadelphia show where I was in sandbar and nothing compares to that feeling when he is right in front of you singing that song that you have sang to yourself over and over again. He might be balding and he might be the smallest guy in country music and might be old enough to be my dad's friend but at 24 I worship him. I have been going to see him for four years and will continiue to go until he retires. I know after seeing kenny every summer why Toby Keith isn't as popular and why he beats Tim McGraw for awards, there just isn't anyone else in country music that can compare to our Kenny. He tells you to be as you are and enjoy life and who wouldn't love a man who promotes such a positive message.

Oh I wish it was still saturday night in Philly and he was just about to come onto stage again!

See ya next year!

Posted by: melissa gallagher | July 21, 2008 12:30 PM

Plus, he's carrying Sammy Haggar on the tour with him, which is deserving of a few hate rays in and of itself.

Posted by: Ronnie | July 21, 2008 2:49 PM

I WENT TO MY FIRST CONCET EVER IN APRIL OF 06,A KENNY CHESNEY CONCERT.
I MUST TELL Y'ALL THAT IT WAS ONE OF MY WORST NITES EVER!

WHERE I WAS SITTING,AT, THEIR HAPPEN TO BE PEOPLE DRINKING BEHINDE ME AS WELL AS IN -FRONT OF ME. YES THESE PEOPLE WERE WELL ON THEIR WAY OF HAVING A LITTLE TO MUCH FOR MY CLOTHES WERE BECOMMING WET FROM THEM SPILLING THEIR BEER AND OTHER DRINKS ALL OVER ON ME! BEFORE KENNY CHESNEY EVEN MADE HIS WAY TO THE STAGE,SOME OF THESE PEOPLE WERE UPCHUCKING, THROWING UP, ETC, Y'ALL GET THE PICTURE. ONE LADY EVEN FLASHED HER UNDERS.WHEN KENNY CHESNEY FINALLY MADE IT TO THE STAGE, MORE DRINKS CAME MY WAY.

KENNY WAS ONLY ON STAGE FOR ABOUT TWENTY MINUTES AND I HAD DECIDED TO LEAVE FOR I WAS GETTING CHILLED TO THE BONES WITH WET CLOTHES, AND THE SMELL WASN'T NICE FOR MORE UPCHUCKING WAS STILL HAPPENING,SO I HEADED FOR HOME WITCH WAS A FOUR HOUR DRIVE FOR ME.

SO THE QUESTION IS AM I STILL A KENNY CHESNEY FAN? YES I AM AND ALWAYS WILL BE.I WAS ONLY AT HIS CONCERT FOR TWENTY MINUTES AND WITHIN THOSE TWENTY MINUTES I LEARN AND SAW WHAT THE OTHER FANS HAS SEEN.
(1)HE IS A DOWN TO EARTH SOUTHERN GENGLEMAN.HIS FAMILY RAISED HIM WELL.
, (2)HIS SONGS ARE ABOUT EVERY DAY PEOPLE INCLUDING HIMSELF.
(3)HIS FANS UNDERSTANDS HIS MUSIC
AND WE RELATE TO HIS MUSIC WELL.
(4)KENNY SHOWS US HIS FANS THE RESPECT HE HAS FOR US AND WE SHOW IT RIGHT BACK TO HIM.
WILL I EVER GO TO ANOTHER CONCERT? NO.HOWEVER THOSE TWENTY MINUTES OF THE CONCERT WILL ALWAYS BE ONE OF MY MANY MEMORIES WHEN I AM OLD AND GRAY AND SITTING IN THAT OLE ROCKING CHAIR ON THIS BACK DECK OF MINE WHERE I AM AT NOW.
THANKYOU MR. CHESNEY FOR THOSE BEAUTIFUL TWENTY MINUTES OF MY LIFE. SHARON(SRS7878@YAHOO.COM

Posted by: srs7878 | July 21, 2008 4:09 PM

Almost makes the Jonas Bros fans look tame.

Posted by: 23060 | July 21, 2008 4:16 PM

Kenny Chesney's fame did come at a price. He was around along time before he made it big. At the start I think he did want to sing meaningful songs( "That's Why I am Here" is an example). But when his "throw away" songs became big hits I think he saw a gold mine. You can't blame a small town boy for liking fame. So he built a show around it. It appeals to frat boys, suburban moms, rednecks, children, and probably a few convicts. He puts on a show like Garth Brooks. Substance. No. Entertainment . Yes!

Will he go down in the books as an important singer. No. Will he care. No. Will he be able to do this for awhile. Ask Jimmy Buffet- another popular singer who lacks the chops for much else but beach songs. If Chesney was a great songwriter or a great singer his fame would seem more deserved. But he is just an entertainer. The woods are full of those type of show biz people. He is not really doing any harm. If he wasn't popular - someone else would be. The fact that he never performs in small places tells you he knows his audience. And you can't fault people, especially younger people, for feeling the need for a little fun. When I was younger people went to see Buffet and Kiss and a great many other acts that jsut offered two hours of fun music without care or woe. No one ever confused them with Joni Mitchell or Bob Dylan. No one will confuse Chesney with Hank Williams or Johnny Cash.

The only harm that Chesney does is really to himself. I believe that he has darker feelings inside that hinder him from a fuller life. I mean even Buffet was married with children and spent time away from the public. Maybe Chesney is addicted to attention and fame. Or maybe he is trying to avoid something deeper- whatever that may be- by putting on shows all the time.

Posted by: Craig R. | July 21, 2008 5:03 PM

If you don't understand the draw of Kenny Chesney I would like to ask you if you have ever set down and listened to some of his CD's? His music can speak to many people on many levels. Yes a lot of it is fun and goodtimes ( I don't know about you but I could use as much of that as possible) other parts of his music is about love and love lost. He wrote all the songs on an album "Be As You Are" which showed us another side of the man. I have been going to his concerts for the last 4 years and it IS the highlight of my summer!! Us married women can get out there and forget about all worries and cares and to me that is PRICELESS!!!! Why would you question a person who can provide that much happiness to that many people??!!!! My question to you--- Have you been to a concert?? Maybe you just have to be a fan to understand!!! All I know is I am glad I am one!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: Texas Fan!!! | July 21, 2008 11:24 PM

simple - hard work, persistence and the right attitude to never give up on his dream!!!

Posted by: laura | July 22, 2008 8:04 AM

Kenny has a Great Voice and Loves his Fans. At least I can say this about Kenny Chesney, He is Real and Not Chained Down to a Fake Wife like Tim McGraw is. Tim and Faith make me sick and I am so tired of their horny Love Songs!

Posted by: BellePete | July 23, 2008 12:32 PM

Kenny's fans LOVE using CAPITAL LETTERS...and most likely breath and think with their mouths agape...

Posted by: Dogger | July 23, 2008 1:06 PM

You gotta be a fan to understand!
I have seen Kenny Live every year for the last 13 years. It's something that can't be explained. If you don't "feel" it within you.. you will never understand the true meaning of his music.
It sure isn't SUMMERTIME until you see Kenny Chesney! That's all I know. :)

Posted by: Stephanie Ladue | July 23, 2008 5:45 PM

I'm a longtime country fan who thinks Kenny Chesney is one of the most mediocre talents ever to make it big in Nashville. But Nashville is very big at taking these kind of people and making stars of them. He works well within the system, records the kind of songs country radio wants to play (either sappy ballads or "good-time" songs that usually sound more like rock than country), and he aims to please when it comes to promotion. Nashville is good at churning out product and this guy is good product. The best summary I can give of Kenny Chesney is that I've been listening to his music or watching his videos for years now and as I type this, I can't remember one of his songs. Not one. I think many of his "fans" will find themselves in the same boat a few years from now.

Posted by: baltova | July 23, 2008 6:54 PM

I think Kenney C was great at Virginia Beach. He have my grandson his guitar and case at the end of the show and signed it.
My grandson is 11 years old and thinks so much of Kenney. What a loving, lasting empression he made on a young life. He will remember this forever.
God bless Kenney

Posted by: mary c | July 23, 2008 7:30 PM

You gotta be a fan to understand!

Posted by: Beth | July 24, 2008 10:01 AM

He's everyones best friend! For the girls hes The guy you wanted to date, and for the guys he's the guy you wanted to party with. We still do at least one night a year when he comes to town. His songs take you to the places you have been and where you want to go. I thank God for him and his music everyday

Posted by: Anonymous | July 24, 2008 3:52 PM

I agree with comments about Be as You Are. What a great album. Wish he's play the entire thing in concert. See him every year in philly. I agree you need to listen to the whole album. And wish he included more of his own songs.

Posted by: Anonymous | July 25, 2008 9:57 PM

Kenny Chesney came along in the wake of Garth Brooks and very much in the same image. I used to call Chesney Garth Lite. When Kenny met Tim McGraw, other than a few wild times, Tim taught Chesney how to make the most of a limited talent. Garth and Tim will both tell you that they are not the greatest singers, but they know how to market themselves (Garth majored in marketing at college). Chesney learned well from Tim. In more recent years, Chesney latched onto Jimmy Buffet. Hey, I like Jimmy Buffet. I love his music. But it AIN'T country, no matter how many times Chesney tries to make calypso country music. Chesney isn't a great singer or songwriter, but he knows how to package himself (or, more realistically, he PAYS very smart people to package himself). Whereas Garth and Tim are very much liked as people, though, Chesney doesn't have a great reputation in Nashville. He's a twerp. Nobody minds him living in Jamaica or whatever island he goes to because the distance makes running into him less likely. Oh, yeah, there was another person not so long ago who made such an impact on Nashville and sold a TON of records despite having a weak voice and ridiculously juvenile songs. She used to live in Switzerland. Never underestimate country music fans to flock toward a well-packaged so-called artist and turn their backs on little-known but much more talented singers, songwriters and musicians. There is GREAT country music being made, but you won't hear it on the radio or headlining at any stadium near you.

Posted by: Nunaurbiz | July 28, 2008 12:38 PM

To Nunaurbiz, I don't no where you live but in Nashville Kenny is very well respected he's very well liked. Also Kenny went to college at ETSU and got a degree in Marketing, Kenny did tour with Tim and yes I'm sure he learned alot from him but Kenny is a very smart buisnessman his self.
IMO, Kenny is a very talented singer and even more talented songwriter just go buy Be As You Are it's great Kenny wrote every song on it. He also has wrote several other very good songs. Just don't be so close minded..

Posted by: TNgirl | July 30, 2008 7:04 PM

OMG! I am a HUGE Kenny fan! The first Kenny song I ever heard was "There goes my life". It's an amazing song, with a great story. I was not much into Kenny then, but I loved that song. Well...a couple of years ago I was watching the Country Music Awards and I saw him perform his song "Summertime" (which is my FAVORITE song ever). His performance was AMAZING, even on TV! The crowd was so into it, and so was he. So, I thought to myself if I like 2 of his songs then I'm sure there are others that I would like just as much. I was right!!!! His music is so uplifting, and he's such a great storyteller!
Also, I attended my first Kenny concert this year at Turner Field (it will NOT be my last). I was just BLOWN AWAY! Pulling into the parking lot I knew I was in for something special. When hundreds of people show up to tailgate it has to be good! Kenny performed for over 2 hours, and just blew my mind. I learned so much about him by just being there. I learned that he's so NOT about himself! He's TRULY in it for the fans. He's just a regular guy, who loves what he does! And I, for one night, was surrounded by thousands of people who felt like an extended family. It's unexplainable! You just have to experience it.

Posted by: Kristin | July 30, 2008 8:50 PM

I am a Kenny Chesney fan and have been since 2004. His voice may not be the greatest in Country Music's history, but I love it. It is real and you can hear the emotion in his voice. I also like his looks, aging, bald head, shorty, cowboy boot and hat wearing, skinny little strutting guy that he is. He ROCKs my world. He is down to earth and extremely grateful of his fans devotion. He thanks his fans all the time and seems sincere, unlike some other artists out there. His shows are awesome, to see so many people on their feet for his whole 2 hour set, singing his songs back to him is priceless. I have bought all his albums, some of them I have multiple copies of and I plan to buy every album he ever puts out because I "just get" him. He has the perfect country sounding voice for me and his music relaxes me on stressful days and gives me great joy in life. Be As You Are is a great CD, he wrote all the songs and I think he is a good songwriter, singer, and entertainer. Everyone has their own opinions but the people who criticize Kenny and haven't taken the time to listen to all his music, not just what was released to radio, or attended one of his shows really make me mad. They sound like narrow minded people who think you have to have a perfect face and body and a perfect voice to be perfect country artists. The great thing about country artists is that they are all "unique". Johnny Cash, Hank Williams, Sr, and Jr., Merle Haggard, George Jones, and many many more are legends in country music and I think Kenny Chesney will be considered a legend as well! I hope Kenny continues to put music out and tour for many many more years. I'll be there for the ride. Thank You Kenny Chesney!

Posted by: Laura | August 1, 2008 1:42 AM

I am a very big fan of Kenny Chesney. I enjoy his music. I think most of all because his songs take you away from everyday life and make you want to be on the beach with a drink in your hand. He is a good songwriter, but more than that he is an awesome entertainer and that is what we (his fans) want... to be entertained. If you have not experienced his concerts or listened, really listened, to his music, you need to not criticize what you don't know and can't feel. KC sells fun, work hard, play harder.

Posted by: Amie | August 3, 2008 11:30 AM

Kenny is the best! HE ROCKS!

Posted by: Renee | August 10, 2008 1:33 PM

MSTO...yes, its true women who blindly follow trends of what to like in a guy DO give women a bad name. Thanks for being yet another idiot woman who decides that men who are losing their hair MUST NOT be attractive. Heck, maybe both sexes should come to a compromise: You can judge men by a completely uncontrollable genetic condition, and we can judge you by completely controllable weight?

I love hypocrisy...it keeps everyone talking.

Posted by: Richard | August 12, 2008 7:27 PM

Kenny is a guy next door who tried sooo hard he made it on talent. He has the red-blooded all American personality. We all have been attracted to things we feel are the comfortable norm. I am a 45 year old woman in WV who was encouraged by my son (in collee at the time )to listen to Kenny . No matter who you are you subconsciously need/want the down home good feeling that Kenny is able to provide on CD or in person. D.

Posted by: DHand | August 15, 2008 9:39 PM