They Played What, Where? Vol. 1, No. 4/Summer Mixtape, Track 11- "Can You Get to That" - Funkadelic

Hearing good music in retail stores has become such a regular occurrence these days that it's pretty much put an end to this feature. Some recent examples include:

- Spoon's "The Underdog" in CVS (much better than that damn "Give Me the Beat Boys" Doobies song that makes me want to go on a killing spree)

- Depeche Mode's "Enjoy the Silence" in Harris Teeter (complete with Ian MacKaye diaper-shopping sighting!)

- Kathleen Edwards's "I Make the Dough, You Get the Glory" in Trader Joe's (OK, this one actually makes perfect sense).

Still, I was caught off guard yesterday when I walked into my favorite Starbucks and heard one of the handful of songs on my shortlist for Best Song Ever: "Can You Get to That" by Funkadelic.

You don't usually get anything so funky in the 'Bucks, even if it isn't among the most groovin' Funkadelic tunes. But I realized it was a great summer tune, in that it would sound equally fantastic coming out of a car with the windows rolled down or in the backyard with a beer in one hand.

If only the Radiohead barista was working, I could have said, "Now THIS is something I like."

Can You Get To That - Funkadelic

By David Malitz |  July 14, 2008; 7:22 PM ET Randomness , Summer Mixtape
Previous: Summer Mixtape, Track 10: 'Doo Wop (That Thing)' - Lauryn Hill | Next: More on the Hold Steady

Please email us to report offensive comments.

That "Give me the beat boys" song is actually "Drift Away" by Dobie Gray, not the Doobie Brothers. I also dislike it, but not quite to the same degree...

Posted by: Clarence | July 14, 2008 9:27 PM

Now that i know that you call it 'The 'bucks', I don't think we can be friends anymore.

Posted by: Ben W | July 15, 2008 9:25 AM

I think the most annoying/ubiquitous version of that song is the Uncle Kracker cover version.

Posted by: shf | July 15, 2008 10:25 AM

The Trader Joes near me has XM, which I just learned on the last trip there. And as much as I want to defend XM, many of the time I literally cringe as I go shopping there from the terrible music. I should go up and request a different station next time I'm there. At least with CVS you pretty much know you're getting muzak.

My best shopping music was hearing "West End Girls" at Shoppers.

Posted by: MN | July 15, 2008 3:30 PM

Come on people, let's talk about how great this song choice is. I always thought that the Maggot Brain album sounded like one giant, funky house party (maybe excluding the first and last tracks, which are entirely different beasts). A great, happy, rocking get-down of a song this is.

Posted by: Adam | July 16, 2008 10:32 AM