They Played What, Where? Vol. 1, No. 4/Summer Mixtape, Track 11- "Can You Get to That" - Funkadelic

Hearing good music in retail stores has become such a regular occurrence these days that it's pretty much put an end to this feature. Some recent examples include:

- Spoon's "The Underdog" in CVS (much better than that damn "Give Me the Beat Boys" Doobies song that makes me want to go on a killing spree)

- Depeche Mode's "Enjoy the Silence" in Harris Teeter (complete with Ian MacKaye diaper-shopping sighting!)

- Kathleen Edwards's "I Make the Dough, You Get the Glory" in Trader Joe's (OK, this one actually makes perfect sense).

Still, I was caught off guard yesterday when I walked into my favorite Starbucks and heard one of the handful of songs on my shortlist for Best Song Ever: "Can You Get to That" by Funkadelic.

You don't usually get anything so funky in the 'Bucks, even if it isn't among the most groovin' Funkadelic tunes. But I realized it was a great summer tune, in that it would sound equally fantastic coming out of a car with the windows rolled down or in the backyard with a beer in one hand.

If only the Radiohead barista was working, I could have said, "Now THIS is something I like."

Can You Get To That - Funkadelic

By David Malitz |  July 14, 2008; 7:22 PM ET Randomness , Summer Mixtape
Previous: Summer Mixtape, Track 10: 'Doo Wop (That Thing)' - Lauryn Hill | Next: More on the Hold Steady

Comments

Please email us to report offensive comments.

That "Give me the beat boys" song is actually "Drift Away" by Dobie Gray, not the Doobie Brothers. I also dislike it, but not quite to the same degree...

Posted by: Clarence | July 14, 2008 9:27 PM

Now that i know that you call it 'The 'bucks', I don't think we can be friends anymore.

Posted by: Ben W | July 15, 2008 9:25 AM

I think the most annoying/ubiquitous version of that song is the Uncle Kracker cover version.

Posted by: shf | July 15, 2008 10:25 AM

The Trader Joes near me has XM, which I just learned on the last trip there. And as much as I want to defend XM, many of the time I literally cringe as I go shopping there from the terrible music. I should go up and request a different station next time I'm there. At least with CVS you pretty much know you're getting muzak.

My best shopping music was hearing "West End Girls" at Shoppers.

Posted by: MN | July 15, 2008 3:30 PM

Come on people, let's talk about how great this song choice is. I always thought that the Maggot Brain album sounded like one giant, funky house party (maybe excluding the first and last tracks, which are entirely different beasts). A great, happy, rocking get-down of a song this is.

Posted by: Adam | July 16, 2008 10:32 AM