Sorry, Conventioneers: No Bruce For You

There's been plenty of speculation (wishful thinking?) in recent days that Barack Obama supporter Bruce Springsteen is going to perform either just before or after Obama's speech in Denver on Thursday.

The Las Vegas Review-Journal reported Sunday that it was a done deal: "Bruce Springsteen will follow Obama with a solo acoustic performance on Thursday after Obama's acceptance speech at Invesco Field." The Telegraph reported same yesterday, as did the Rocky Mountain News, which said that Jon Bon Jovi will open for Obama with Springsteen closing out the night.

But a source in Springsteen's camp tells The Washington Post that The Boss won't be anywhere near Invesco Field on Thursday.

"He's definitely not performing nor attending and has never planned to do so," says the source, who is privy to Springsteen's schedule.

By J. Freedom du Lac |  August 26, 2008; 8:04 AM ET Politics , Springsteen
Previous: Please Explain to Me ... Rage Against The Machine | Next: From The Dept. Of Huh: Hillary's 'American Girl'

Comments

Please email us to report offensive comments.

Can you blame the Boss? He stuck his neck out four years ago, Kerry lost, and the Democrats who took control of the Congress went right on doing the same thing that the Republicans were doing. Financing an ill-considered invasion, voting to allow illegal wiretapping, justifying torture, refusing to do anything to block Bush's disastrous agenda. Who needs 'em?

Posted by: Gasmonkey | August 26, 2008 9:37 AM

He's already come out really strong for Obama, and if he were worried about getting burned he wouldn't say anything in the first place. I think it's more than he doesn't want to take any of the spotlight right now from Obama. I'm guessing there's going to be a "Vote for Change" tour again this year, so that'll get the politics out there anyway.

Posted by: EricS | August 26, 2008 10:18 AM

I'm pretty sure that Jon Bon Jovi would be much happier if the "party" was being held for Hilary Clinton, but I'm glad to see that he hasn't forgotten his Jersey roots and is maintaining support of the Democratic Candidate. Lord knows this country can't afford to remain under the control of a Republican President. If McCain wins things will just continue to get worse and we will all be doomed.

Posted by: Riann | August 26, 2008 10:24 AM

The Dems should be worried that they might be upstaged next week if they can only pull Bon Jovi. I hear McSame will have Yankee Daddy performing before his speech.

Thank you Yankee Daddy.

Posted by: johnny | August 26, 2008 11:18 AM

There we go: I love it! This election has devolved into a popularity contest between celebrities! This is so 21st century America!

McCain gets Gail O’Grady and Pat Boone, Obama gets Bruce Springsteen and John Legend. I'll take it; I guess the Dixie Chix decided to sit this one out.

Right after we figure out the celebrity roll call, I suppose we'll move on to other either-or choices: One of the candidates shall claim GM, the other Ford; do you suppose Obama will favor McDonald's, or Burger King? Who gets to choose first?

After all, it's a a freedom of choice thing, doncha know.

Posted by: TechGoose | August 26, 2008 12:30 PM

With Ronald Reagan we got a two-for: A celebrity and policy both! Ditto Ahnold. And Freddie Thompson.

D----d efficient, those Republicans!

It is strange that for all conservatives' disparagement of the Hollywood liberal claque, how the Republican Party attracts the politicians from Tinseltown.

While celebrities draw attention and provide diversion -- it is after all their bread and butter -- I fail to see how their endorsements, syncophancy, and support bear any more or less credibility for candidates' qualifications than any other citizens'.

I wish both conventions would keep them out of parties' halls entirely if they are not credentialed delegates.

Their presence makes the gatherings even more circus than deliberative assemblies.

Posted by: Hneftafl | August 26, 2008 1:55 PM

There's no great mystery to this: Springsteen is taking his oldest kid, Evan, to college this week. Simple as that. He's just being a good dad. That's why there's a week off his concert schedule (and why Patti's been absent from most concerts lately): Sometimes you have to be a parent instead of a rock star.

Posted by: Bruuuuce | August 26, 2008 2:30 PM

Eric S said: "If anyone's worried about being burned I would think it would be Toby Keith since he came out for Obama. His fanbase tends towards a more conservative view."

No kidding-he DID? I'm genuinely shocked. I thought he came out for McCain?

If you're right, I guess I'll have to reevaluate my opinion of the guy. I've been such a hater since he was so ugly to my Dixie Chicks!

Posted by: Ella | August 26, 2008 2:32 PM

I didn't realize that Bon Jovi was scheduled to "open" for Obama. Makes you wonder how many people would show up at Invesco Field if it weren't for Bon Jovi and maybe a surprise visit by Springsteen. Does Obama always bring people in with free concerts? Where's the free beer and brats like in Berlin? Can't he attract people just on his own merit? Who is the big draw - Bon Jovi or the Obamessiah???

Posted by: Maribel | August 26, 2008 3:36 PM

Naw Maribel, you got the script flipped. Obama's a bigger rock star than all those cats (well, maybe not Bruce, but still). The man can draw a crowd. He brought like 70,000+ to a rally in Portland with The Decemberists as a support act. Unless if you believe noted indie-rock lovers Fox News, who claimed it was Colin Meloy & co. who roped in the rally-goers.

Posted by: mikef | August 26, 2008 4:28 PM

Springsteen invites you to participate in the vote, no matter which party you are for, all are welcome. He sets an excellent example for the youth of America. He showed his patriotism after 911 with the ‘The Rising.’ It was the first significant musical contribution that answered the call to make sense of the events of September 11th. I knew as soon as I heard the first song that this body of music had the potential for initial healing and, far more important, it would tell the stories. It became invaluable in helping a fragile population sort out the unimaginable in language that was both poignant and sensitive. ‘The Rising’ represented what each and every child needed — hope.
Springsteen’s optimism resonates.
The thing with Bruce is that he’ll show you the dark side but he’s an optimist, perpetually looking for the light. He has such tremendous optimism.

Posted by: roblowson | August 26, 2008 6:12 PM

Roblowson; You are 100% on target! I could not agree with you more! He and his music fill my heart with beauty and blows away the "devils and dust" when needed!

Posted by: Robbie (The Netherlands Europe) | August 26, 2008 7:05 PM

I am sorry to learn Bruce won't participate Thursday at the Convention. Been listening to and singing "The Rising" all day in anticipation. Several of us are planning our Convention Party for Thursday night to watch the big screen together as a group. Same group went to Foxboro, August 2, in thunder storm to watch to the BOSS sing Thunder Road!

BUT, yes, being Dad, and proud of it comes first.

Exactly what we would expect of our Bruuuuce! XOXO

; )

Posted by: Barbara | August 26, 2008 10:50 PM

No kidding-he DID? I'm genuinely shocked. I thought he came out for McCain?

Posted by: Ella | August 26, 2008 2:32 PM
-----------------------------

Abotu 2 weeks ago, I think. He's always been a Democrat of the Blue Dog variety. For all of his occasional bluster he's mostly in the Jimmy Buffet school of music and life. Saw him at Live 8 a few years ago and I was genuinely impressed. At least enough to say let the man be what he wants to be. He's a far sight better than Rascal Flatts.

Posted by: EricS | August 27, 2008 2:08 PM

He's a singer song writer average guitar and piano player. Who cares about what he thinks from a politics standpoint. If you rely on Bruce Springsteen for advice then you should ask the WalMart checkout lady for the same.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 27, 2008 11:48 PM

The WalMart checkout lady is probably educated bettter than Bruce.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 27, 2008 11:52 PM

Bruce is busy this week.His daughter,Jessica, is competing in the Hampton Classic Horse Show,his son Evan is starting school at Boston College,and I think young Sam starts High School.And the on Saturday,the "Magic" tour wraps up.So I'd be very surprised if he showed up in Denver,but I'd be very pleased,too!!

Posted by: rk2this | August 28, 2008 5:49 AM

Stevie Wonder is more better.

Posted by: Harralson | August 28, 2008 3:43 PM

Bruce hasn't been the boss since he pushed the leftist agenda in 2004. I had to throw out all his Cd's.

Posted by: David c Beach | August 29, 2008 5:24 PM