Coming Attractions: Bruce and the E Street Band

wale (Gerald Martineau/TWP file)

Ladies and gentlemen, start your speed dials.

Just announced:

Working On A Dream Tour
BRUCE SPRINGSTEEN & THE E STREET BAND
Verizon Center
Monday, May 18 | 7:30 pm

Tickets on sale Monday, February 2 at 10 a.m.

The on-sale date comes the morning after Bruce and the band do the Super Bowl halftime show -- which is hardly a coincidence, of course.

Springsteen's '-07-'08 "Magic" tour was flat-out fantastic: The first of the two Verizon Center shows -- which happened to be the subject of my very first post on this blog -- was my pick for the best concert of 2007.

And The Seeger Sessions hootenanny at Nissan was my No. 1 show in 2006 -- and, as it turns out, a real all-timer for me.

But I have somewhat diminished hopes this time around, based on the album that's sure to be at the center of this tour's set list.

Simply put, I don't really like "Working on a Dream." The sound and textures intrigue me but the lyrics are relatively anemic. I explained it in greater detail in my "WOAD" review from last week.

Also, I'm just not sure that the lush, spectral sounds of the album will translate live, though "Girls in Their Summer Clothes" worked just fine onstage during the "Magic" tour.

Still, there's no way I'm skipping the show. And no, you can't be my plus-one.

UPDATE: Tickets will be $68 and $98, according to Live Nation.

Also, there's a May 5 show at John Paul Jones Arena in Charlottesville, with the same Feb. 2 on-sale date.

By J. Freedom du Lac |  January 26, 2009; 11:51 AM ET Concerts , On the Road , Springsteen , Ticket Madness
Previous: Live Last Night: Benny Golson | Next: Out: Ryan Adams. In: Todd Snider

Comments

Please email us to report offensive comments.

Wouldn't miss it. For a look at how the 2007 and 2008 Bruce/E Street Tours differed, click and click. (The short answer is that the August 2008 Richmond show was an hour longer, and much looser, than either of Bruce's November 2007 Phone Booth shows, and that a quarter of Richmond's 28-song setlist came from audience requests via sign.)

Also: WTF with that Working on a Dream album cover, Bruce? And most of your album covers, for that matter?

Posted by: ChrisKlimek1 | January 26, 2009 1:46 PM

Yes, by all means, go waste your $70-$100 on this phony, who plays the game of being "Mr. Blue collar working man's hero". In reality, he is a very very rich "has been", who hasn't done anything since the 70's, and he lives off of Clarence his past recordings. He is a political hack, married to a model, and he plays up the New Jersey thing still to the max. I was a big fan of his in the 70's and even the 80's, but his new music is so bad (maybe horrible is the word), that I am absolutely amazed that there are fools who are not only listening to it, but paying very good money to hear it.

Posted by: fly66 | January 26, 2009 1:55 PM

Bruce is really a rock star of our day.The are most singers but we need emotions , ,passion, Revulution. There's a Rock Band called The Fearless of Marco pizzorno with a single song called Please .
It will built a great Hospital for persons withou a Hope. This is a Revolution.
Marco Pizzorno Is a poet and The Fearless are the New Beatles. There's something of Bruce in the Fearless style. but this new Rock Revolution is coming. They are called The Fearless

Posted by: beatles1 | January 27, 2009 12:43 PM

When NBC announced years ago that Conan O'Brien would get the Jay Leno gig, I vaguely recall NBC saying that Max Weinberg would no longer be allowed to skip out to tour with the ESB. Not sure how long this tour would last, but I wonder if it might run over into Conan's takeover of the Tonight Show. Have you heard anything about Max's status, both with the ESB and the Conan show?

Posted by: JoeDalhart | January 27, 2009 12:53 PM

Funny you should ask. David Fricke's latest Rolling Stone cover story on Bruce & the ESB reveals that the NBC legal department refers to Max's special privilege to come and go as he likes as The Weinberg-Springsteen Rule. Fricke's source? Mighty Mighty Max his own tireless self. Bruce, meanwhile, assures Fricke "It's all gonna work out, one way or another."

I just saved you $4.50. Fricke's online interviews with various E-Streeters are better than his Bruce-centric feature anyway.

Posted by: ChrisKlimek1 | January 27, 2009 6:28 PM