Bruce Springsteen's Salvation: Live Last Night

springsteen (All photos by Linda Davidson/TWP)

Bruce Springsteen wasn't about to shuffle quietly into the night. Having already spent nearly three sweaty hours striving for rock-and-roll deliverance Monday at the Verizon Center, Springsteen thundered one last time down that familiar redemptive road.

As the E Street Band roared through an encore version of the rambunctious old warhorse "Rosalita (Come Out Tonight)," Springsteen growled and howled his joyous circa-1973 lyrics about forbidden love and "stone desire." He stood on his tip-toes to punctuate particular guitar licks or vocals. He darted back and forth across the spartan stage, feet and, especially, fists pumping. He exhorted the crowd to sing the final pre-chorus part louder, then even louder still.

"It's the big one!" he shouted. "BIGGER!" The sound inside the arena spiked, as requested, and Springsteen unleashed an impassioned shriek, sending his feverish fans over the edge.

At 59, Springsteen remains one of the most potent live performers in popular music, largely because he's among its most committed practitioners. He drains every bit of his creative energy whenever he's onstage -- all in the service of proselytizing the power of rock-and-roll, in which his faith is unwavering.

"Washington, are you ready to be delivered?" he asked at the outset of Monday's concert, before diving into "Badlands," a breakneck rocker about working-class spirit.

(Read the rest of the review after the jump.)

Later, during a somewhat leaden performance of the title track from Springsteen's new album, "Working on a Dream," the Boss bellowed his mission statement for the show: "We're gonna to take the fear out there and we're gonna build a house of hope!" Also, he promised: Despair would be transformed into love, doubt into faith, sadness into joy and happiness.

Springsteen long ago embarked on an everlasting edition of Brother Love's Traveling Salvation Show, whose guiding principle is to deliver hope and redemption through song. Accordingly, Monday's show featured more than a few moments of redemptive rapture.

But it wasn't necessarily a show for the best-of books, despite the sense of purpose with which the band performed and the generosity of the nearly three-hour set, which spanned 25 songs -- 27 if you counted the instrumental riffs on "Hava Nagila" and "Hail to the Chief," the former requested on a Torah-scroll sign, the latter a nod to another sign's "Rosalita" request, which read: "Obama called, he wants 'Rosie.'" ("By executive order!" Springsteen joked by way of introducing the show-closing song.)

The mix was muddy beyond belief. Opener "Badlands," for instance, was a toxic swirl of cacophonous noise during which the vocals and 10 instrumental parts repeatedly crashed into each other to frustrating effect. "No Surrender," an otherwise terrific mid-80s anthem about war and romantic dreams and lost youth, was a relatively indecipherable and impenetrable wall of sound. "She's the One" suffered similarly once the instrumental parts began stacking atop the clean, simple power chords and Max Weinberg's irresistible Bo Diddley beat.

The set also featured an overabundance of songs from Springsteen's fallow period -- which is to say, from his new album, which is full of lyrical missteps and half-realized or, worse, ill-considered ideas from one of rock's preeminent poets. There were only four songs from "Working on a Dream" in the set, but it sounded like three too many.

Whereas "The Wrestler" was an emotionally gripping character study on which Springsteen sang convincingly of struggle and survival, "Outlaw Pete" was a melodramatic epic that played like a parody of a "Nebraska"-era Springsteen story-song, or maybe like Meatloaf doing musical theater. It came across forced and farcical, especially when Springsteen donned a black cowboy hat. Would you like some cheese with that hamminess?

Yes? Well, "Working on a Dream," whose lyrics sound like Springsteen on autopilot, featured a cheesy whistling interlude.

"Kingdom of Days" was better lyrically, as Springsteen considered the notion of romance making time stand still with his wife, Patti Scialfa, singing by his side. But, as on the recorded version, the musically overwrought live performance sounded schmaltzy.

Still, the set was generally well-considered, with Springsteen mixing some of his greatest hits (the blistering "Born to Run") and oldest misses (the swinging, shifty jazz-blues workout "Kitty's Back") with a handful of superlative recent songs, including "Waitin' on a Sunny Day" and post-9/11 anthem, "The Rising," on which Nils Lofgren's slide guitar soared.

On 2007's Magic tour, Springsteen's set was loaded with songs about isolation, alienation and disillusionment. Monday's theme was more hopeful, with several references to the promised land -- including "The Promised Land" itself -- as well as multiple songs about optimism, as with "The Land of Hope and Dreams," which included an interpolation of Curtis Mayfield's epochal "People Get Ready."

Not that all's well in this American land. Springsteen acknowledged the recession in several songs, including "Seeds," "The Ghost of Tom Joad," an overly muscular "Johnny 99" and a standout cover of Stephen Foster's "Hard Times Come Again No More."

It wasn't the night's only cover, for Springsteen and the E Street Band have been getting in touch with their inner-jukebox lately; on Monday, they revived Eddie Floyd's R&B hit "Raise Your Hand" to stirring, soulful effect and bashed out a wobbly garage-rock version of the Righteous Brothers song, "Little Latin Lupe Lu," upon request.

No audience is more important to Springsteen than the one he's currently trying to win over, and he's connecting with his fans on this tour by soliciting their set-list input at every show. So there he went, racing around the front of the stage, collecting handmade signs with titles on them and then calling out audibles to the band, including titles from their own catalogue.

Most notable was "Out in the Street," an idealistic 1980 song about community -- a fitting theme, as Springsteen performed part of the raggedy rocker while seated at the foot of the stage, right next to the little girl who'd apparently made the request.

She sang with him and held the microphone while Springsteen played his guitar. But he wasn't sitting down on the job for long; soon enough, the Boss was back on his feet, running, gesticulating, mugging, exhorting and hollering, doing everything in his considerable powers to deliver on that promise of salvation.

***
UPDATE: That Obama/Rosie sign? Sister blog The Sleuth reports that Springsteen signed it after the show and sent it to the White House via the Rahm Emanuel courier service.

bruce

brucetour09

bruce

By J. Freedom du Lac |  May 19, 2009; 8:23 AM ET Live Last Night , Springsteen
Previous: 'Idol' Gets KISS-ed?; Pearl Jam to Greet Conan in L.A.; Yoko + Twitter + Haiku = Awesome | Next: Britney Being Britney Is an Expensive Endeavor; Bob Dylan Was a Teen Poet, Don't You Know It?

Comments

Please email us to report offensive comments.

For weeks, the Post has been giving this hack a ton of free press. Enough already - he's been passe for years. Besides, he's from NJ - 'nuff said.

Posted by: adrienne_najjar | May 19, 2009 9:36 AM

One reason for the muddy mix: there are too many people on stage. With Bruce, Steve, Nils, Patty, and sometimes the fiddle player, there are 5(!) guitars strumming along to these songs. That's 3 too many, and a recipe for mush.

Posted by: guyfromjersey | May 19, 2009 9:57 AM

When I see Bruce elsewhere (Charlotesville, Richmond) the sound is fine. When I see him at Verizon, it sucks. Is the problem with the band or the venue? I have not seen other artists at Verizon.

Posted by: vagolfer | May 19, 2009 9:57 AM

The problem is not the "mix". The sound was amazing in Hershey. The verizon center is the problem. having seen hundreds of shows at dozens of arenas around the country, I can confidently say that verizon is consistently among the worst sounding for 90% of the seats in the building. In my not so humble opinion verizon should be prohibited from hosting music.

Posted by: gratefulterp | May 19, 2009 10:00 AM

Glad to know I'm not the only one who thinks the Boss' recent work has been stuck in the mud that lies in the middle of the road (weird mix of metaphors, I know). I went to last night's show with mixed feelings, based on my reaction to the vacuous material from "Working On A Dream". I came away with a better appreciation of "The Wrestler" than I expected, but I was enthralled with the deeper cuts, especially "Kitty's Back". There was a bit of auto-pilot from the band, but overall, an undeniably powerful night of rock-n-roll, which I'm glad I was there to see.

Posted by: BaltoFan | May 19, 2009 10:03 AM

Does it not count as a review unless you criticize the show? I'm at number 22 and thought it rocked! If you don't like the new album, stay home! I'll take your tickets any day! And Kitty's Back a miss? Not one of my favorites, but always a treat...

And Kingdom of Days may have a little shmaltz, but come on, after all the icky rumors about Bruce and Patti a couple months ago, it's really sweet to see them singing a love song like that to each other.

I'm really not sure where comparing Outlaw Pete to a parody of a Nebraska song works... If you look to his early catalog, Bruce has always told those stories, and he had quite a few cowboy songs in his unpublished material--he talks about that in the Rolling Stone interview from when Working on a Dream was released as well...

I thought it was his best performance in DC that I've seen. Maybe it's having his candidate in office finally, but he was into it last night! Here's hoping there's another leg so he'll come back through with the same energy he had last night!

Posted by: saragood | May 19, 2009 10:06 AM

Thanks for the review - I thought it was the best show I've seen over the last three tours. It's not often that a rock concert peaks in the middle of the set, but the "Recession Trio" of "Seeds," "Johnny 99", and "The Ghost of Tom Joad" leading into the sign request songs were all outstanding. Nils's solos during "Ghost" were amazing, and the fret cam was the coolest video effect I've seen at a show in the LONG time. Well done, E Streeters!

Posted by: njdvlsrule | May 19, 2009 10:07 AM

Agreed, gratefulterp. The mix is never the problem with Springsteen; it's that the Verizon Center is absolute crap with live music. Last night wasn't as bad as the last time Springsteen came to DC, but it was still vastly more muddled than his outdoor shows. I wish he'd play FedEx. Now that would be a heck of a show.

Posted by: ladylily | May 19, 2009 10:12 AM

Um...adrienne_najjar

That so called "hack" is probably the greatest rock and roll singer/songwriter/musician you may ever have the privlege of hearing. And while he might be getting older and this show was not one of his best...it's still probably the best show in DC this year. What other band/singer/etc gives you almost 3hrs of show? Talk about bang for the buck!

Additionally, as the saying goes, you either remember every Bruce show or you haven't been yet! Call me...we'll go to the next one.

Posted by: deltaxi | May 19, 2009 10:32 AM

As always at the Verizon Center - Great Show, Lousy Sound. Have seen Bruce and the Band at several other venues and it always sounds better elsewhere. That said, wouldn't have been anywhere else last night!

Posted by: vtvickil | May 19, 2009 10:51 AM

my wife and i saw our 1st bruce show last night. we found him to be very inspirational. he really works hard and puts a lot of heart and soul into the show. the production (lights/flat screens etc) was phenomenal.

great time! we would definitely see him again.

Posted by: terpcentral1 | May 19, 2009 11:06 AM

Was at the show last night. Agree with the comments on the sound in Verizon, but Springsteen puts on the best show in the business today. The place was rocking! Agree with all of the positive comments. Give me your tickets and I'll go every time!

Posted by: jpg63 | May 19, 2009 11:08 AM

I was at the show last night and thought it was amazing! The mix was great and I loved the energy (which I have none of today). Of course there were a few songs I wish that could have been added, but he could have played for 7 hours and I'd say the same thing. The fret cam was really cool. Thanks Bruce for another awesome show and great memories!

Posted by: patrickgama7 | May 19, 2009 11:25 AM

Mr. Springsteen's various recordings and performances have ascended to the forefront of western culture since I was a teenager in the 1970's. No one can dispute his immense popularity, or the devotion of his many fans.

But I never "got it"; I don't personally consider his work of artisitic signficance beyond the mass appeal of it. I realize that I am in a distinct minority on that. But my feeling is anyone who panders as much as Springsteen does, and pushes the same buttons with the same audiences, year after year year, tour after tour after tour, has been on cruise control. Reviewers have been calling his act "redemptive" and "transcendent" and "rock n roll deliverance" and all the rest of it for decades. But he and Clarence and Nils and Steve are no different than Jagger & Richards as those 2 preen their way through an umpteenth "Satisfaction". That's not art either but at least the critics call that one somewhat accurately. Somewhat.

I hope BS performs for his fans as long as he wants and as long as his fans want him to, but its just show business, no more no less.

Now Radiohead, on the other hand, that's a whole different story......

Posted by: jhankin1 | May 19, 2009 11:55 AM

I was wondering if it mattered where you sat. I was screwed by Ticketmaster -- signed on at 10, when tickets went on sale and could not get 2 together anywhere, without being redirected to Tickets.com for $300 seats. I tried one seat, and that went through, but tried to get 2 again instead of buying the one. Again, sent to Tickets.com. Finally, just bought myself a ticket, but by that time, I was in the last row, behind the stage.

Honestly, it sounded like I was listening to the show from the men's room or, at least, the concession stands. Certainly not worth over $70.

And, as the reviewer notes, the band played too many unworthy newer songs. Hard to imagine a show that included only 2 songs off Born to Run. While I love the "E Street SHuffle" album, it's hard to believe he played as many off that album (2) as he did in total off Born in the USA and the River. No Hungry Heart. No Jungleland, Backstreets, 10th Avenue or Thunder Road.

When you can't really hear the words or the music, the fans need songs they can sing along to because they know the words better than their own marriage vows. This show did not deliver. I had fun, but it was hardly the transcendent experience I have come to expect from Springsteen shows.

Maybe the problem is the Verizon Center. Maybe the problem was an inadequate sound system to project clearly to the upper levels...especially behind the stage. I don't know, because I only had my personal vantage point...but, it was a disappointment.

Posted by: fischy | May 19, 2009 11:56 AM

Yes, the Verizon Center is terrible for live music. I did notice the sound issues on some songs, but when I stood there singing Born to Run with Bruce as loud as I could, all was forgiven. I loved that they included a range of musical styles, even drawing from his folk album, We Shall Overcome.

Posted by: TerryMcT | May 19, 2009 12:10 PM

Why FedEx, when RFK isn't used for much and has better access?

Agreed on the terrible acoustics in the Phone Booth, though: it's designed to reflect sound down onto the rink/floor (i.e. as an intimidating venue for visiting teams), not as a music hall. The DC Armory would be better, frankly speaking, if you had to stick to an indoor arena.

Posted by: songfta | May 19, 2009 12:48 PM

Saw the Dead at Verizon in April and came away very frustrated with the quality of the sound--could hardly hear the vocals. Last time I'll see a show there. Glad I took my 15-year old son to see Bruce at Hershey Stadium--beautiful night, under the stars, great sound, Jay Weinberg on drums, and the Boss...singin' and sweatin' like he was 25!

Posted by: GoSteelers1 | May 19, 2009 12:54 PM

I've seen Bruce a couple of times. Sometimes, you can cut the self-righteousness with a knife, but it's generally a good show. However, Bruce is getting way to old to be doing this. That Super Bowl appearance was an embarrassment. He looked like a crazy old homeless guy searching for redeemable cans with a metal detector. And he's the one in reasonably good shape. Clarence looks like he's going to keel over at any moment.

Posted by: cletus1 | May 19, 2009 12:54 PM

No it was the mix, and the mix can't be made right because the venue has awful acoustics. They shouldn't allow musical shows in that place.

Kitty's Back is one of his best in my opinion, not a miss at all.

He's a legend, a master performer, who cares about giving all he can to his audience. He's an excellent guitar player as well. The first two times I saw him he was THE guitar player and it worked very well. (Shady Grove Amphitheater and Carter Barron way back in the day).

But the problem always with performers who have a long life span, and write their own material,is that it is very hard to keep the quality of the songwriting at the same level. I stopped liking Bruces material after Born to Run for the most part. The first two albums will always be his best.

Now it's all about the fact there is no harder working man or band in show business, and it's a revelation to see a 60 year old who makes all of the current crop of acts look like lazy, talentless, nothings.

Posted by: tojo45 | May 19, 2009 12:59 PM

Thank heavens it's not just me hating the sound at the Verizon Center!

At least this time around, I could distinguish what songs were being played.

I'll watch Bruce for as long as he performs, but I'll skip his shows at the Verizon Center. DC may be his town (despite cranky reviewers), but the Verizon Center isn't the venue for music.

Posted by: cfow1 | May 19, 2009 1:04 PM

Well -- that was the first and last time I will see a concert at the Verizon Center.

Posted by: fischy | May 19, 2009 1:28 PM

My first time seeing The Boss live (despite being old enough to own the early albums on LPs) and thought it was worth every inflated cent, despite some disappointment with both the set list and the sound. The energy and exaltation, plus the best songs on the list, left us walking on air.

Have been at just couple of music events at the Phone Booth, including a Bob Dylan show way back in the MCI days, and the sound quality at those exceeded my (low expectations). As a Caps season ticket holder used to the drill at Verizon Center, I have to give points to the sheer ease of getting there for those near the subway. I wouldn't roll the dice for good/dry weather at an outdoor venue in springtime, and nothing takes the glow off an evening than fighting traffic or dealing with the "logistics" of getting to/from FedEx on the subway/bus. No thanks. We don't go to Wolf Trap anymore because the acoustics suck so badly there but would venture Verizon again, at least for Bruce with the E Street Band. Maybe next time Ticketmaster won't be in charge (I'm working on that dream . . .)

Posted by: themermaid | May 19, 2009 1:51 PM

Well...having see Dylan in '07 at Merriweather, I wonder if it's possible tell whether you have good or bad acoustics for his concert. The review of that show was the all-time funniest and best review -- "Mumblin' in the Wind" -- the first half-hour seemed like a practical joke as Dylan didn't sing one word that was recognizable.

Yes, it was convenient to jump right on the Metro. However, unless they do something to improve the acoustics for concerts, you can count me out.

Posted by: fischy | May 19, 2009 2:00 PM

it was a good show; but while the energy was high i walked away flat. the sound was terrible there; i had a very hard time understanding anything and the amount of instruments on stage was overwhelming. it was very muddy.

i've seen other acts there (billy joel, james taylor, coldplay, BS in '07) and they all sounded better than Springsteen did last night. too many chefs spoiled the soup.

bruce's energy is inspiring and he clearly loves his audiences and gives them their money's worth. but i agree with jhankin1: it's just show biz.

Posted by: ThereAreBrainsInBurke | May 19, 2009 2:09 PM

Agree with the comments on the sound quality. How do they let this happen?

I've been to other concerts at the Verizon Ctr (Stones, U2, Peter Gabriel) and don't remember the sound quality being bad. I think Pearl Jam sounded bad as well, maybe it's the "louder" music? That would explain why U2 and Peter Gabriel were ok, but not the Stones. I saw the Stones at FedEx a few years back and sound quality wasn't good either, so there's more to it than just the venue.

Posted by: felipe55 | May 19, 2009 2:11 PM

Horrible review by a horrible music critic. This is the same clown who criticized the Boss's most recent album primarily for the lyrics and then misquoted the lyrics he was criticizing in the review. Johnny 99 was over-muscular? First, what does that mean? Second, it rocked. The sound quality is clearly not the Boss's fault - anyone who has seen him play elsewhere knows that (and one would hope a music critic would as well). I've seen over 40 concerts by the Boss - the man always provides a great show and last night was no exception (despite the nit picking by the self-important clown who calls himself J. Freedom Du Lac).

Posted by: gasucu | May 19, 2009 2:54 PM

Um. Gasucu, read again -- he said OVERTLY, not OVERLY, muscular. Means that Springsteen put a lot of push into it -- made a point of not being subtle. In other words, he made it rock.

Posted by: proxl | May 19, 2009 3:02 PM

my bad. you're right. Overly.

Posted by: proxl | May 19, 2009 3:03 PM

I'm a longtime fan (nearly 35 years now) with many shows under my belt. I loved the show, didn’t mind the muddy sound, and thought the setlist had its highs (Out In the Street, Kitty’s Back, Blinded, Rosie) and lows. The lows are mostly related to Working on a Dream, the only album he’s ever done that I find generally unlistenable. Of the new songs he played last night, Kingdom of Days sounds like it would fit better in a Tony Bennett concert; WOAD would work be perfect for the latter-day Billy Joel; Outlaw Pete is better suited for another genre so far from my tastes that I can't even name an appropriate artist. Maybe a Mexican Mariachi band? Springsteen’s voice, performance skills, and the E St. Band are all in fine form, as always, but this latest musical direction doesn’t work for me at all. Even the show’s video production is getting cheesy, with lots of audience reaction shots instead of band shots. Yes, I know that people smile, sing, and look to be in rapture at his shows but I don’t need to watch that on the screen.

Posted by: theblitz | May 19, 2009 3:15 PM

Great photos by Linda Davidson on this page; keepers for the cover art of the bootlegs we'll all soon have. Too bad they used the worst one on the main story. A shot with a mike stand down the middle? Really?

And yes, the sound always sucks at the Phone Booth. Haven't seen a single show where the band's board staff has made it more than decent yet, like other comentators, see the same bands in other venues and the sound is crisp. Don't ban music here, get the house to invest in making it better!

Posted by: thaumaturgist | May 19, 2009 3:27 PM

Hey fischy, I was at the '07 Dylan show at Merriweather too and agree 100% that the sound was crappy enough to keep us away from that venue ever again. (The 2 hr drive from NVA and missing most of opener Elvis Costello didn't help). The Dylan show at MCI years ago was way better -- it was before he took to keyboards plus zero eye contact with the audience. His Bobness even showed a bit of energy at MCI, and the backing band was impressively tight.

As to the Phone Booth, if they can ever fix the ice quality, maybe there's hope next for the sound. Write to Ted Leonsis.

Posted by: themermaid | May 19, 2009 4:33 PM

"[Bruce Springsteen] is probably the greatest rock and roll singer/songwriter/musician you may ever have the privlege of hearing."

Wow.

Posted by: Minutemenx | May 19, 2009 5:50 PM

Awesome review, dead on. What a moment, with that 9-year-old girl knowing the words and singing along with him on "Out in the Street." What a version of "Kitty's Back." What a "Rosalita"!
I think there are parts of Verizon where the sound is fine, but you have to be either on the floor, or directly in line with the PA system in the 200 or 400 level. Sat in the 200 level at the last show here, sound was crystal. But not like that in the rafters last night.
It's probably also true that there are a heck of a lot of people up there. He's now added two more backup singers, to go with the four (sometimes 5) guitars and two keyboards. "She's the One" was a mess. But he still cares. And we still care. So if he could just be maybe a little more judicious in the songs he releases, he can keep doing this forever.

Posted by: KidTJ | May 19, 2009 6:21 PM

I enjoyed the show but compared to the last time I saw him, it was just so-so. Our seats were in the 200 level, but the sound really wasn't that clear. Verizon Center doesn't cut it for this band.

Also, the guys really are getting old (no one in rock says 60 is the new 40). Max just pounds away with very little finesse, and Clarence is starting to sound a bit stale. Do you remember how Bruce used to jump up on the piano ? Well, now he carefully climbs up there. Heck, half the guys have had hip relacements. Still, Bruce's energy level is amazing and there are so many great songs. Patty is as hot as always-what a classy lady with chops too!

Anyway- even given all of the above minor complaints, I would buy tickets to see him again, and again. In between some of the (relatively) duller parts of the session, there were outstanding guitar riffs and great rock n roll.

Bruce still puts on one of the best shows around. Noone tries harder to please, and for the most part he succeeds.

Posted by: suziesilverado | May 19, 2009 9:20 PM

I was at the show. Maybe the sound system wasn't the best, but witnessing the energy and excitement that Bruce demonstrates just reaffirms my opinion that he's one of the best rockers ever!

Posted by: PhillySixersphan | May 20, 2009 7:27 PM

How long did it take to come up with a lede that so smoothly worked in multiple Springsteen puns?

Posted by: MonsterLobster | May 21, 2009 5:34 AM

The sound quality at Springsteen arena shows has consistently been among the worst of major acts since at least the 1999/2000 Reunion tour. It's not the Verizon Center. The complaints about sound quality at Springsteen shows are wide-spread, regardless of the arena. Sometimes the sound is far worse than at other times, but it's never good anymore in indoor arenas. It's always lacking compared to what some others deliver. For whatever reason, after the 1980s Springsteen stopped using Clair Brothers Audio to do his sound. That's probably the root of the problem. The end result is that Springsteen has gone from being the standard in live sound quality (1978 - 1985) to being among the worst there is with regard to live sound quality. It's truly disgraceful, but they don't seem to care.

Posted by: Mark81 | May 22, 2009 12:41 PM

"Those romantic young boys, (background singers) those romantic young boys, all they wanna do is fight..."

Posted by: markwpa | May 23, 2009 2:54 PM

Corrections and Additons:

Those romantic young boys
Those romantic young boys
All they (ever) wanna do is fight

Those romantic young boys
Those romantic young boys
All they (ever) wanna do is fight

Did I ever tell you about the time I got thrown through unopened bar doors on LBI one time trying to walk backwards into the place where "word" was out the Jukes and Bruce were jammin ?

Yea, I lived in Long Branch one time, everytime I light a fire with a lighter, I think about that place. Anyway goodluck with that golddigger, he may be a nutjob.

Oh and oh nm, nevermind about those days..

Sincerly a Springsteen "Fanatic"

Posted by: markwpa | May 23, 2009 3:42 PM

Gawd, am I over here talking to myself again ?

Done-cha hate it when a song get stuck in your head ? Like my head is going:

"...And Johnny whispered:
Good night, it's all tight Jane
I'll meet you tomorrow night on Lover's Lane
We may find it out on the street tonight baby
Or we may walk until the daylight maybe..."

Now, since those lyrics are copywrited by Bruce Springsteen, does that mean he now owns my head ?

Maybe I think too mushhh, but I bet Johnny never made it home that night and there was a white van stuck in the swamps that was found by the cops ?

Do you remember when an episode of Miami Cops whatever was based on the song Smuggler's Blues ? I bet "someone" could make a movie about this song. You know kind of like Romeo and Juliet upgraded for popular audiences ?

Just a thought or two by a Springsteen Fanatic...

Posted by: markwpa | May 23, 2009 10:56 PM

Jay Lustig of Joisey's Star-Ledger writes:

"...After "The Promised Land," the show peaked again with the rarely played epic, "Incident on 57th Street." Springsteen dedicated the next song, "Kingdom of Days," to Scialfa, who, he said, missed the show because she needed to do something with their daughter tonight..."

toO cOoL...