Bruce Springsteen: Live last night

bruce springsteenBruce Springsteen brought his usual energy to Verizon Center on Monday night. The audience was up to the task of matching his enthusiasm. (By By Toni L. Sandys/TWP)

Live Last Night

By Chris Richards

When the house lights go up at a rock concert, the illusion of magic evaporates. Show's over. Don't forget your belongings on the way out.

Not so at Verizon Center Monday night, where Bruce Springsteen cranked up the lumens in the middle of his set.

When the overhead lights flipped on during the opening bars of "Born To Run," an indistinct mass of fans was suddenly thrown into sharp relief and the audience appeared as real and human as the band sweating it out on stage. The illusion didn't evaporate. It exploded into something profound.

View a gallery of photos from Monday night's show.

Revelatory moments like this are stock-in-trade for Springsteen, who was making his second Verizon Center concert appearance this year. The performance featured a song-by-song rendition of his 1975 breakout album "Born To Run," along with a surplus of career-spanning hits, including "Dancing In the Dark," "Hungry Heart" and "Badlands." (The concert also comes after news that Springsteen will be one of the five recipients of the annual Kennedy Center Honors in December.)

Onstage, the Boss quickly proved that kinetic rock stars beget kinetic crowds. From the sweatiest general admission cluster to the bloodiest nosebleed, fans pumped their fists ceaselessly to The E Street Band's sturdy pulse, as if trying to pound down 20,000 phantom doors. Springsteen pumped his fists, too -- jabs and uppercuts punctuating lyrics as they erupted from his mouth.

(The audience returns the energy, after the jump. Were you at the show last night? Leave your thoughts in the comments.)

bruce springsteenSpringsteen shares the microphone with guitarist Steven Van Zandt. (By By Toni L. Sandys/TWP)

It's almost funny to try and remember this man in hot competition with his '80s pop rivals. Prince and the late Michael Jackson each made live performance seem elegant and effortless, but at the age of 60, Springsteen is still making it look like a labor of Herculean proportions. He still sweats, stomps, roars through every crescendo as if his lungs are about to burst.

The E Street Band served as the connective tissue necessary to hold this muscular set together -- but Springsteen didn't stop them from doing a little flexing of their own. Drummer Max Weinberg slapped out fills like artillery fire, saxophonist Clarence Clemons honked away in a familiar timbre, and guitarist Nils Lofgren soloed as if his Stratocaster were an animal trying to slither from his grasp.

Following a few warm up tracks including "Hungry Heart" and "Working On A Dream," the band tackled "Born to Run" in its entirety -- an album that saved Springsteen's fledgling career back in the mid-'70s. Unsurprisingly, the title track and "Tenth Avenue Freeze Out" earned big cheers, but album cuts "Backstreets" and "Meeting Across the River" were equally striking. If anything, the jazzy cool of the latter gave everyone a chance to slump into their seats for a breather.

Springsteen didn't let them rest for long. He was soon marching down the stage's catwalks, snatching up fan-made posters with song requests scrawled in Sharpie and glitter-pen. (Gotta wonder: Would Redskins owner Dan Snyder have allowed such signage at FedEx Field?) When three posters requesting "Pink Cadillac" materialized, Springsteen led the audience through one of the most spirited singalongs of the night. Bathed in pink light, fans waved their arms from side to side like an army of windshield wipers.

And that's really what made Monday night so powerful: the audience. Springteen was undoubtedly irrepressible, but he and the E Streeters are probably the most reliable combustion engine in rock history. Finding an audience to match that energy seems rare, but this one was firing on all cylinders, showing no signs of fatigue during Springsteen's six-song encore.

It included "Dancing In The Dark" (the house lights on again), "Rosalita (Come Out Tonight)" and the finale of "(Your Love Keeps Lifting Me) Higher and Higher." It's a tired old soul chestnut, but in Springsteen's mouth, it sounded reborn, baptized in gravelly gravitas. The crowd joined right in, and meant every word.

By David Malitz |  November 3, 2009; 7:48 AM ET Live Last Night , Springsteen
Previous: The Boss Is Back With "Born to Run" - What Next? | Next: The Very Best: Live last night

Comments

Please email us to report offensive comments.

Much better and more energetic than the last time around. The sound was much better as well. The entire Born to Run album was flawless, Clarence never missed a note. The crowd requests were great (Stand on It, Seven Nights to Rock, Pink Cadillac and Growin' Up). Encores incredible as well. No let up in the band's energy from beginning to end, and the audience responded in kind. THis show was even better than the last Giants Stadium show on October 9. keep on rocking, Boss.

Posted by: jelevine1 | November 3, 2009 8:12 AM

My hearing is finally getting back to normal after last night's show and I am still as mesmerized by Bruce at 47 as I was at 16 hearing him for the first time at a small club on the Jersey shore. I miss Danny Federici, however - we are from the same town and I remembered on Saturday evening how his mother would hand out cassette tapes of her son's band on Halloween. I wonder how long Bruce and the guys will be able to keep this up - Clarence always worries me, but Max, Garry, Nils, Roy and Little Steven must be doing some things right to be able to tour like this.

Posted by: skipper7 | November 3, 2009 8:23 AM

Wow! The man never stopped the entire night. I thought Backstreets was a revelation. Maybe it's that I've lived with it for so many years that now it is hitting me in a different way entirely, but when he sang he the line "huddled in our cars, waiting for the bell to ring," it brought tears to my eyes and I don't know why. Thank you, Bruce. Church should be like your concerts!

Posted by: LauriK1 | November 3, 2009 8:31 AM

I've been going to Springsteen's concerts since the mid 70's. Last night's show was disappointing. Hearing the entire Born to Run album was a treat. However, other than Pink Cadillac and Growin' Up, the set list was predictable and shorter than most of his recent shows.

Posted by: dave1102 | November 3, 2009 8:44 AM

I saw Bruce for the first time on the Born in the USA tour at the old Cap Center and then again at RFK at the end of that tour. I've tried to see him ever since every time he comes to town. Last night's concert was the best I have ever witnessed. The Born to Run album was fantastic! Sound was awesome. We were in the general admission floor and looking up in the crowd at times was awe inspiring. A great artist that had that crowd in the palm of his hand and rocked them.

Posted by: jpg63 | November 3, 2009 8:51 AM

My husband and I walked out of the Verizon Center thrilled to have seen Bruce again. Fell in love with him when I was 16 and he hasn't disappointed since. So many of the lyrics carry me back with the same feelings of joy, sadness, and hope, bringing tears to my eyes one moment then exhiliration in the next. He proved it all night!

Posted by: maspinella | November 3, 2009 8:59 AM

That was a fantastic show! I grew up listening to the Boss but last night was the first time I've ever seen him live...the most fun I've ever had at a concert! Bruce really is one of the only performers who can pull off turning on the house lights during a performance. We spent the last 5 songs dancing in the aisles and jumping up & down. Rosalita made my year.

Posted by: LMC2083 | November 3, 2009 9:00 AM

Lonesome Day
The Rising
Badlands
* * *
Hard Times
No Surrender
American Land (Ali Weinberg joins on accordion....she is easy on the eyes )
Dancing in the Dark
Rosalita
Higher and Higher

Posted by: 1995hoo | November 3, 2009 9:09 AM

As always, Springsteen and the band put on a terrific show. But "Born to Run" in its entirety was special. What amazed me was how an album that he wrote when he was 25 -- an album that came across as raw, urgent, and a little bit angry and scared when it came out -- could be so utterly transformed without changing a note or a lyric. In the context of Springsteen's iconic career, backed by the same people who recorded the original, and in Obama's Washington, "Born to Run" sounded wise and, well, downright hopeful. I feel lucky to have been there.

Posted by: JeremyB | November 3, 2009 9:11 AM

It was a top notch performance. The energy, enthusiasm and genuine love Broce and the Band have for their fans is amazing.

I've rarely seen a performer give as much to his audience as Bruce did last night.

Great music, great audience, great times!

Posted by: AutumnBanter | November 3, 2009 9:32 AM

Great show as always. I go back to the Darkness tour at Cap Centre. It was the first time since I saw him body surf the crowd. Talk about trusting your fans. The White staff was out in full force with Rahm Emauel with his family, one girl was having a blast, his son could not have been bothered and his youngest went to sleep..kids. How do you get tickets for the Kennedy Center show.

Posted by: RichC3 | November 3, 2009 9:42 AM

I must say I have seen Sprinsteen over 20 times since the River tour. I think last night was one of his best shows I have ever seen. I guess I appreciate being in my 40's seeing a 60 year old man have more energy than than anyone I have ever seen.

I love the "Born To Run" album, so I was really looking forward to hearing it. My absolute favorite song is Jungleland, Bruce and Clarence did not dissapoint on this song.

I wonder if a 20 year old kid gets the same feeling when thay go to a concert and see someone of their generation, it's hard to believe in today's day and age that any artist can put a show on like the Boss.

I almost got the feeling with him playing so many old favorites last night, that he may walk away from touring forever. I certainly hope not, but I am glad to say I saw him in his glory once again. It should be fun hearing him sing the opening lyrics to "Hungry Heart" in Baltimore later this month.

To the "Boss", your the best!

Posted by: ConcertLover | November 3, 2009 9:45 AM

Incredible concert last night. Bruce and the E Street kept going and kept delivering, and the audience kept right with it. The energy wwas just amazing.

Haing Born to Run played in its entirety was a true bonus!

Posted by: RickH1966 | November 3, 2009 9:46 AM

Possibly the best Springsteen show I've seen. Definitely one my top concerts ever. He & the E Street Band never disappoint! I had chills and tears in my eyes at many points of the show. Thank you, Boss!!

Posted by: maretini5 | November 3, 2009 9:46 AM

I was lucky enough to be in the pit right in front of the stage. I got to touch Bruce several times, and feel his sweat drippin on me. Bruce isn't getting older, he's getting better! The energy that he and the E Street Band generate is beyond compare. I grew up listening to Bruce, and, just like when I was young, he has the ability to energize his audience and take us all to a better place! Thank you, Bruce!

Posted by: PhillySixersphan | November 3, 2009 9:57 AM

I was fortunate to see a show earlier in the tour- that night was more festive, relaxed. Last night was tight. Pure. There wss such gorgeous elegance in the entire Born to Run album. The band just shone all night. The rendition of Higher&Higher, with the E-Street backup singers to center stage, brought tears to my eyes. The Boss did not want to leave the stage.

Posted by: RockvilleGirl | November 3, 2009 10:19 AM

My ears are still ringing, but it's well worth it. He always puts on a great show, but the energy last night was off the charts. It may have only lasted 2:45, but they never left the stage and hardly ever slowed down to even take a breath. And "Higher and Higher" was a fantastic way to send us all home happy. Wow. Just wow.

Posted by: Johnny991 | November 3, 2009 10:20 AM

Bruce and the Band were fantastic as always. Due to a personal setback earlier in the day I was debating about going but decided I definitely needed this show. Bruce is always clutch when one is down as I was earlier in the day. I had a great seat in the lower deck to the side and stood the entire show.

He played the entire Born to Run album which was incredible and of course I lost it when Clarence did his sax solo during Jungleland. Couple other tunes where I lost it too but overall I laughed, cried, sang, chanted, bounced up and down and had a fantastic time. Every emotion I had was on display last night.

Great to see Nils and Bruce dueling guitars on Prove It All Night. Seeing them do Growin' Up was great also. The energy he and the band have continues to amaze me. It was just what I needed last night. I pretty much have no voice now. Thank you Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band.

Posted by: bbride1 | November 3, 2009 10:43 AM

It was a real fun show. At this point in the tour I think the Boss and the Band are as much doing each song for themselves as the audience and so I felt their was a lot of variety to old standards. Pink Cadillac and Stand on it were great; Pink may have been the best version I've ever heard of the song.... Kudos Bruce & E Street!!

Posted by: lovinliberty | November 3, 2009 10:56 AM

show was fantastic but about 20-30 minutes shorter than usual. Not sure why. But it was a great thing to hear BTR in its entirety. Nothing beats Jungleland.

Posted by: DreamOutLoud | November 3, 2009 10:59 AM

Took my 24 year old son, Brian, along with two great friends, to see Bruce. For Brian, from here on, any live concert will only be a letdown. Does any other band do what Bruce does?

Posted by: wallyandpat | November 3, 2009 11:25 AM

The concert had everything a Bruce fanatic like myself could want, except decent acoustics. Could Verizon please do something to make the arena a pleasant place to LISTEN to music, so Bruce and the E Street Band's non-stop, high-energy, crowd-pleasing, incredible musicianship can actually sound decent and not muffled? jb

Posted by: jbass2 | November 3, 2009 11:30 AM

"...It's never too late to start all over again..."

Posted by: truthhurts | November 3, 2009 11:49 AM

"..as if his Stratocaster were an animal trying to slither from his grasp"? You're an idiot.

This was my first show and Bruce did what I feared most, played a concert for himself. The Celtic crap after the encore and closing with take me higher and higher? WHO ENJOYS THAT?! It was garbage that no one needs to hear. I may be biased since my fav Boss song, Prove It All Night, was played second, so the rest was a let down, but Bruce, for $98.50 to sit in section 405, don't play what you want, play for the fans.

Posted by: learntowritegooder | November 3, 2009 11:59 AM

The show was fantastic. It was my 3rd Bruce show this year and the best yet including night 2 in the Meadowlands. My voice is gone, my ears are starting to come back and I wish I do it all again tonight. Thank you, Bruce.

Posted by: sbuck1 | November 3, 2009 12:04 PM

Bruce and the E Street Band still have it and are head and shoulders above the rest! No artist can touch his energy and passion, and the connection he has with the band and the audience. This was the best Bruce show I've seen since the '80s. I've seen many great concerts, but Bruce and the band can take it up a notch that others can't quite reach.

Posted by: rme465 | November 3, 2009 12:24 PM

Awesome concert last night, a real treat. I have to say that, in an age of disposable celebrity, it was amazing to see a 60yo rock superstar not sitting on age stroking his ego, but grinding out the bars, sweating to his classics, and really interacting with his fans. The concert was absolutely magnetic, and you can see that the band chemistry you hear in the classics of '75 is still there today. Probably the best show I've ever seen, and has really cemented me as a fan. Thanks Bruce, for giving us some real, genuine, powerful and ego-free entertainment. Hope you come 'round again!

Posted by: ted_kowalsky | November 3, 2009 12:26 PM

Boy oh boy!! Luckily guys like "learntowritegooder" are around to give us all a chuckle. Bruce should have approved the setlist with you beforehand of course, and rolled out a string of greatest hits I guess. Of course, only "Bruce" songs fit at a Bruce show - why was everyone else going nuts to American Land and Higher and Higher when Bruce obviously was playing these "for himself" hahaha. That's funny. He would have been miserable in the old days with those bores like "Good Rocking Tonight", "Rave On", Heartbreak Hotel", Detroit Medley etc etc. If you didn't like Higher and Higher I don't know what we can do for you, poor fella..It sounds like you were one of the few NOT to like it. Oh well..

Posted by: bond1 | November 3, 2009 12:30 PM

I wish you all could have seen the shows at Shady Grove Music Fair, Carter Baron Amphitheater, and Constitution Hall in the 70's. There is no comparison to those places and MCI or any of the huge places he plays now.

At Constitution Hall was where he first played songs from Born to Run, and he wasn't the only lead guitarist. He has always put on an incredible performance. It's amazing that the band is still able to work so hard, and perhaps more amazing that they want to. I wish the new generation of bands would take the hint.

Posted by: tojo45 | November 3, 2009 12:33 PM

Finally, my first Bruce & E Street show. I don't know how I haven't seen him until now - having been a fan since the 70's, Seeing and hearing 20,000 people sing every word of Thunder Road is simply awe-inspiring! I have seen a lot of artists over the past 40+ years or so, but this was something to behold.

Posted by: karlington | November 3, 2009 12:36 PM

I heard the door prize was a scooter from the Scooter Store.

Posted by: askgees | November 3, 2009 12:38 PM

Learntowritegooder - you are in the minority, probably a minority of 1. And please don't complain about the ticket prices The value you get from a Springsteen show is far and above that of any other major act out there who often charge much more.

Go to a few more Boss shows before you start criticizing -- you'll find that you will hear about every song you've ever wanted him to play in no time.

To say that he played a concert for himself when he played an iconic album in its entirety, then added some of his biggest hits like Hungry Heart and Dancing in the Dark, along with other classics like Rosalita, . . well, who is really the idiot here?

Posted by: zorba992 | November 3, 2009 12:39 PM

Tojo - you remember the Carter Barron show? Remember how he "fell" into the orchestra pit and disappeared for a while? Those early shows were great!

I've seen Bruce in Austin and Houston the last two tours with my son,(21) and he has always said that no one will top those concerts - Austin was at the start of this tour, and it was a great great show, where he pulled a sign out of the audience AFTER the encores were through and gave us Glory Days to send us home happy...

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | November 3, 2009 12:48 PM

Last night's show came closer to recapturing the essence of the 70's E-Street experience than any I've seen in about 30 years.

The band built their rep on set lists that paid homage to soul, rock, and folk pioneers. This is the guy who penned half of Southside Johnny's best White Soul albums of the late 70's.

Seven Nights of Rock, Hard Times and Higher & Higher put the E-Streeters back where they started - a working band using the rock and roll that inspires them to inspire others to scream and dance 'till lungs are hoarse and toes are bruised.

No one with a 400 tune songbook can make everyone happy. But for these ears the Verizon show kept the band at the top of their game. Promise made - promise kept. It sure beats the "promote the new album" or "play the greatest hits" formulas that squeeze the soul out of rock and roll.

Viva the barnstormers! How about an "all request" show next?

Posted by: cfp1 | November 3, 2009 12:58 PM

He plays every song as if it's his last. Full vocal effort, tossing his guitars, crowd-surfing, back on his knees with his back inches from the floor and up again. I've never seen so much talent and energy on display and doubt I ever will again.

Posted by: jillg3 | November 3, 2009 1:01 PM

Posted by: marine2211 | November 3, 2009 1:02 PM

Amazing show last night! Bruce and the Band were tight as always but this is the first time I've seen them where they didn't leave the stage before the "encore" It made the 2:45 (ack I didn't even look at my watch once he got on) seem even better!

Verizon is still an awful place to hear a concert but kudos to the staff there who came to where we were sitting (behind the stage on the side (near the tower of cables) and offered to let us move to the front row of the section and to the left for an unobstructed view). When he played to the back we were less then 20 ft away!

Unfortunately as we left the arena I got the feeling that this might be the last one we'll have. Clarence looked very tired (he sounded great though!)and had to be helped to the stage by use of a golf cart and escorted onto stage by an electric lift.

Well if this was the last show it was certainly the best one ever. I just hope that little boy that was brought on stage during "Sunny Day" realizes how lucky he is to have had the opportunity to share the stage with a legend.

Thanks Bruce and the Band for so many wonderful memories.

Posted by: deltaxi | November 3, 2009 1:20 PM

I was there last night and I thought it was an amazing show. I've seen him three times, and last night was the best. The energy was terrific - both the band and the audience. This was the first time I was able to get seats close to the floor and it made a big difference. I won't sit in the 400 level for a show again!! Glad everyone (well, almost everyone) had a great experience just like me!!

Posted by: arl09 | November 3, 2009 1:21 PM

Well, marine 2211, go be a grumpy gus somewhere else.
We've all grown up with Springsteen, he was 25 when Born to Run came out, so his fans were about that age (or younger) in 1975, and that base has added more (and younger) fans with each subsequent record. I saw him in 1978 at the Cap Centre when I was 16. Sounds like you had kids in the 60's therefore he may not speak to 'your generation'. But, he can still bring it in concert. Rock & roll does not have to be a 'young man's game' just because you don't 'get it.'

Posted by: mroulier | November 3, 2009 1:34 PM

marine2211 wrote:

"Is it just me that finds these 60/70 year old "Rock Stars" ludicrous? I admit that I know nothing about the music of these old men, having been too busy rearing a child and working through the '50's and '60's. What I find mind-boggling is that these same fans from that era are still swooning. Doesn't anyone ever grow up?"

The answer to your question is, yes, it is just you, or rather, it is just you and curmudgeonly party pooper losers like you. I was not going to comment, but felt compelled to say what probably a lot of others are thinking--that is, the reason people still enjoy music is because they, unlike you, haven't become so angry and dissatisfied with life that they feel the need to crap all over anything anyone anywhere might find enjoyable. The reason these people still "swoon," is because Bruce Springsteen is still one of the best at what he does, and because great art (whether you understand it or not) means a whole lot to those who have the soul and aesthetic to appreciate it. What you can't seem to understand is that others your age and older also raised children and worked, and managed not to lose their sense of fun and artistic enrichment as you so obviously have (that's assuming you ever had it in the first place). Yes, people can be serious, have serious jobs and responsibilities, yet understand that sometimes it is best not to take yourself or life too seriously, lest you miss the whole point. Get over yourself.

Posted by: joemomma3 | November 3, 2009 1:44 PM

I always enjoy witnessing greatness in all its forms. Last night was one of those nights. I was lucky to see him late last spring at the Meadowlands (Izod Arena). That was a great show too, but very different - like a giant N.J. neighborhood party with the local boy made good.

Last night in DC, on the other hand, was a catharsis, a spontaneous release of emotions. He has more energy than any performer half his age and puts them to shame in every way imaginable. Born to Run the record might have unwittingly been the greatest rock opera ever made, and last night it felt like one, both moving and powerful, both celebratory and emotional. During Backstreets, Meeting Across the River and Jungleland, you could almost see Springsteen channeling Sinatra. Something which really could only happen with age.

And his vocals on Hard Times are a revelation (he out-gospels his terrific gospel-flavored back-up singers).

I echo Skipper's comment about Clarence....because I see why they leave the stage dark now at the beginning. At the end, with the lights up and the rest of the band off the stage, Bruce helped Clarence onto a lift at the side of ths stage, presumably because of his hip problems. I presume the opposite happens when he has to get on stage, and I'm sure that's one reason the band doesn't leave the stage now between the main set and the encore. Let's hope Big Man stays healthy and takes care of himself, and may he receive his share of book royalties. And hope to see Bruce and the band the next election cycle (2012) with a new set of stories and more greatness.

Posted by: roadworrier | November 3, 2009 1:49 PM

DC crowds have a reputation for being dull and lackluster, but last night's crowd was CRAZY GOOD. Blew the May show out of the water, despite running a little bit shorter, and was even better than the two 2007 shows on the last tour. Paperless ticketing really helped to keep the scalping to a minimum, too, so more good seats were available to fans on the on-sale. If you missed this one, try to get tickets to the upcoming Baltimore show.

Posted by: dkp01 | November 3, 2009 2:10 PM

My son was in the front and Bruce gave him a hermonica and a guitar pic. He was the lucky one to sing along with Bruce during Waiting on a Sunny Day. I have been to over 100 shows and in the pit many times .But that will be hard to top !
It was awesome ! If you have any video or photos please email them to LitaandPhilipBrown@verizon.net

Thanks Bruce !!

Posted by: litaandphilipbrown | November 3, 2009 3:40 PM

What a show! I think this was one of Bruce's best shows in a long time! He gets better with age! Did anyone else notice that he's more relaxed and more lively without his wife there? Not sure why she wasn't there, but I enjoyed it much better!
I've been following Bruce for more than 30 years, and he's still got it! Fabulous show!

Posted by: sb0457 | November 3, 2009 4:04 PM

Yes definitely a better performance than the earlier one this year, this time it was just an exuberent and joyous lovefest, culminating in that smashing version of Jackie Wilson's "Higher and Higher". Hearing the "Born to Run" album in its entirety was one of the greatest live music treats I've ever experienced, and to hear "Meeting" going into "Jungleland" was positively haunting and transporting. But the recent songs ("Outlaw Pete" and "Working on a Dream") sound great too. I look forward to more new Bruce music and continued tours into his 60s. Stick around Bruce. We'll stick around for you too.

Posted by: MNRV | November 3, 2009 4:08 PM

Saw last night's show from the pit - AWESOME! My first Bruce concert was Cap Center for the "Born in the USA" tour; this may have been the best show I've ever seen (although the sound quality, as noted, could have been improved). learnhowtowritegooder - I think Bruce didn't play a concert for himself, he played a concert for about 19,995 of the 20,000 people there. Sorry you were in the 5. Oh well, better luck next time. Comment on the price: worth every penny and then some. The man is unbelievable.

Posted by: ArmyBrat1 | November 3, 2009 4:11 PM

Here's a great video of Bruce's crowd surf to "Hungry Heart": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8KvJm0jG-ic

A great show!

Posted by: PC1615 | November 3, 2009 4:13 PM

Springsteen is a mere shadow of what he once was. Very disappointing.

Posted by: dcsportsdude | November 3, 2009 4:33 PM

marine2211 wrote:

How is it that being "grown up" and enjoying a concert are mutually exclusive?

I feel sorry for you and I mean that sincerely. For me, a Springsteen show is like a religious experience, the joy, the passion, the feeling defies. Some of the happiest moments of my life are ones from Springsteen shows.

You have to experience it to understand it, but singing "whoa oh oh oh ooooh" along with Bruce and 20,000 strangers is one of the greatest feelings you can have.

Posted by: lalalu1 | November 3, 2009 5:10 PM

I saw two shows in Philly last month, BTR the first night & Darkness the second. I was stunned by the acoustics at the Spectrum -- it was like hearing a digitally remastered version of BTR.

Verizon Center couldn't match it, but the performance was outstanding. It's like watching the band play it for the first and last time, simultaneously.

And the four-pack of Stand on It/Seven Nights/Growin Up/Pink Cadillac KILLED.

Headed to Ballmer on 11/20 & to Buffalo for the last dance with the E Street Band. Bruce, we hardly knew ye.

Posted by: jennifermadson | November 3, 2009 5:12 PM

First saw Bruce in 1973 and have been a fan since, attending more than 100 shows. He and the band were in fire last nite -- Nil's searing solo on "Prove It" was a highlight, as was "Seven Nights." As always, a high-energy, combustible performance. And that boy who sang "Waitin' on a Sunny Day" will never forget it. Simply the best rock ' roll band around.

Posted by: broooce1973 | November 3, 2009 5:27 PM

Great concert! My only question was where was Patti Scialfa?

Posted by: 28Paws | November 3, 2009 5:35 PM

Great concert. But where was Patti? Guess that's over.

Posted by: karengail | November 3, 2009 5:39 PM

I loved the show last night..My daughter husband and I were there. We had a great time!!! You would think I was still in my 20's...Im 48... my Daughter is in her 20's. I have seen Bruce and E Street band many times..I was at the Capital Center in the 70's when he play for almost 5 hours.... Last night show was one of the best.. Loved the 4 songs played from the sign's he picked,Stand on It/Seven Nights/Growin Up/Pink Cadillac..I had just said to my friends that day how I would love to here Pink Cadillac..and I DID ...I dance the entire show!
Wish I was going to Baltimore on the 20th.

Posted by: lauralie | November 3, 2009 7:46 PM

Oh, What a night! to quote another group of esteemed Jersey musicians. I somehow naively hoped that the Jersey Boys cast could join Bruce onstage in the encores after their show. That is the only thing that could have added to the show. Bruce and the band are at their absolute peak! Transcendant music in every respect! The glorious version of Higher & Higher alone was worth the cost of admission. The sound was loud but clean with a mix that caught all the crucial intricate interplay between the organ & piano as well as the other instruments. If you have the chance to catch the show before the tour ends, do NOT pass it up. You'll never forget it.

Posted by: bsdabest1 | November 4, 2009 11:12 AM

Still in awe. Amazing show. So much energy and talent!!! I was lucky to be in the pit, and I could see he and the band enjoyed that show as much as the audience. They played it straight from the heart and it showed. Pure magic. He certainly built that house of music on Monday, and as he said: we built it together.

Posted by: conflictologa | November 5, 2009 12:44 AM