Tech Podcast
The Bloggers

Fox Responds To Broadcast of Profanity

Frank Ahrens

Today I got an e-mail from Fox spokesman Lou D'Ermilio said that the network did broadcast the "f-word" profanity printed on the t-shirt of a fan during Saturday's NFC playoff game between the Philadelpia Eagles and New Orleans Saints.

D'Ermilio also said the scene was not live -- it was recorded during a play and aired during a replay of the play -- but that it was "definitely unintentional."

"We regret it and apologize," D'Ermilio wrote.

By Frank Ahrens  |  January 14, 2007; 3:28 PM ET  | Category:  Frank Ahrens
Previous: Fox Airs Profanity During Eagles-Saints Game | Next: It's Tech Tuesday In The Post

Add Post I.T. to Your Site
Get This Widget >>

Comments

Please email us to report offensive comments.

Does anyone think this is worth writing about? Another wardrobe problem?

Posted by: Gary Masters | January 14, 2007 5:47 PM

I AM OUTRAGED.. WHERE ARE THE LAWYERS WHEN YOU NEED THEM?

Posted by: legoman@zcloud.net | January 14, 2007 7:00 PM

The shirt said "F..k Da Eagles"

I agree with that shirt 100%

Posted by: Mike | January 14, 2007 9:01 PM

I saw the shirt too. Who cares if it was broadcasted. Our government has too much control over what we can see, hear, etc.

Posted by: Frank Rizzo | January 14, 2007 10:52 PM

Who cares....And where can I get one that has that saying regarding the chiefs?

Posted by: Steve | January 14, 2007 11:47 PM

I think its absolutely disgusting. Where can I buy one?

Posted by: Foiler | January 15, 2007 12:39 AM

That shirt had writing on it? Are you kidding me? Did anyone get a look at the total BABE wearing it? WOW! I don't blame them a bit!

Posted by: Justin in KC | January 15, 2007 12:48 AM

HAHA...THAT WAS MY GIRL WEARING THE SHIRT! I THINK IT WAS FABULOUS, AND I WISH I HAD BEEN WEARING ONE TOO!! F*CK THE EAGLES!!!

Posted by: Anonymous | January 15, 2007 1:19 AM

go bills

Posted by: samson j for president | January 15, 2007 1:46 AM

who cares, if you can rean and find it vulger stop reading!

Posted by: Bryan | January 15, 2007 7:08 AM

next week u saints fans won't be saying anything and hopefully there won't be any Katrina home cooking this sunday!!

Posted by: dr wood | January 15, 2007 7:31 AM

Hey, maybe she was just telling everyone what she did before the game.

Posted by: John | January 15, 2007 9:47 AM

Want to see an obscene broadcast from Fox, just watch their news.

Posted by: Oj | January 15, 2007 10:26 AM

I was watching that game with my young children and now one of my kids won't stop shouting F*** Da Eagles!

Personally, I blame FOX News for airing the segment and feel they should be fined heavily. If Janet Jackson's nipple shield piercing can induce hundreds of thousands of dollars in fines as it's considered "indecent," profanity should be considered indecent as well.

How many children who were watching the game saw this? Millions, I imagine. Shame on FOX!

Posted by: Ray | January 15, 2007 11:01 AM

If i was an Eagles fan i would of had that same shirt that said f**k da saints on it. But im a Panthers fan so i would of still worn it.

Posted by: Ej | January 15, 2007 11:24 AM

That girl was a scumbag. I hope she gets F@#?ed by every loser in that pitiful, disgusting city.

Katrina was the best thing to ever happen to New Orleans.

Posted by: Mike | January 15, 2007 11:39 AM

Big deal, I think we'll all survive this horrific incident.... get over it.

Posted by: Jerry | January 15, 2007 11:48 AM

Who cares My son saw it and didn't even say anything about it. Kids see and here 10X that in school. Parents stop blaming everything on someone else! If your kids follow your rules they will be fine. To the idiot who said that Katrina was the best thing to happen to the city, CLASSY!! Alot of people died we no what kind of person you are!!

Posted by: John | January 15, 2007 12:32 PM

Can't anyone make a mistake anymore? Why does everyone assume that everything that Fox does is intentional? OK, maybe it was, but probably not.
If you're worried about your kids seeing bad things - then don't let them watch live tv and preview everything they watch yourself - and then see if YOU catch all the bad stuff.

Posted by: newmarket2 | January 15, 2007 12:58 PM

F**k Da Eagles. Fox is supporting beastality. I believe that is illegal. Da Bears on next.

Posted by: joshkeaton | January 15, 2007 3:33 PM

I thought it was great!! We need more of that on television - and the chick was hot!!

Posted by: Eric | January 15, 2007 3:56 PM

Ray are you telling us that your son knows how to read but has never heard the "F Word" before??? Your kid might be a closet case Ray - Maybe you should get him out more

Posted by: Eric | January 15, 2007 3:58 PM

That's the best shirt ever!! At least she wasn't throwing things onto the field -- or cheering when players were injured -- or boo-ing Santa Clause. If you want to blame someone, blame the good fans of Philly. F' da Eagles!!

Posted by: Cowboys Fan | January 15, 2007 4:17 PM

We never booed Santa, we threw snow balls at him. Get a hotel room with 88, 81, some hookers and narcotics.

Posted by: Eagle fan | January 15, 2007 6:29 PM

there are pics and video here:

Posted by: f fox and the eagles! | January 15, 2007 7:25 PM

First FOX broadcasts nearly a minute of their baseball announcers mocking a fan's blindness and now replays 4 seconds of profanity on a t-shirt. Yet CBS is the network getting fined $250Gs for a split second flash? Yeah, that sounds "fair and balanced".....

Posted by: Mark H | January 15, 2007 7:58 PM

Seriously, she should hook everyone up with their own version...

"F..k the Favre" for Bear Fans
"F..k the snow" for Florida Fans
"F..k blotched kicks" for Cowboy Fans...

This Girl Could Make A LIVING Off These Shirts

Posted by: ---Tom--- | January 15, 2007 9:06 PM

First, the myths and legends you hear about the Eagles fans being hoodlums are false. A stadium full of fans did not pelt Santa with snowballs, only a handful of fans did. A stadium full of fans didn't boo Michael Irvin, only a handful of fans did. Eagles fans are not the worst in the league... far from it.

Third, it's a damn'd shirt. Who cares if one Saints fan lacks tact or if Fox broadcast it? It doesn't speak for the level of other Saints fans or for the quality of sports entertainment Fox provides. It's an exception to the rule about both, I'm sure.

Posted by: Eagles Fan | January 16, 2007 12:24 AM

By the content of the posts, I can clearly tell who is the good parents, the parents who are sperm donors and incubators, and those who are not parents at all.
I'm with you, Ray.
Kids are shooting people at schools, so does that mean that we should let them shoot people at home, too?
Although I agree with the content of the shirt, some things are better left off the air.
Go Saints!

Posted by: papabradley | January 16, 2007 4:58 PM

The f-word is an obscenity and should NOT EVER be shown on TV - especially during family time (early evening on the West coast.) I ABSOLUTELY will NOT "get over it"! If you think it was okay then I can feel pity for you and for the children you influence. Shame on you!!!!

Posted by: Mike | January 16, 2007 6:11 PM

If you people would do you job and raise your kids this shouldnt effect them at all. My kids know that its wrong to say certain words. And if TV has more influence over your kids then you do I think that is parental problem not a tv network problem.

Posted by: Ryan | January 17, 2007 9:22 AM

"Second, Saints fans are the least worthy of a successful sports franchise. Where were you all the year before the stadium got broke? Or before this year when your team was not good? None of you cared, so stop caring now."

Piss Off!! What the hell do you know? We've been here all along. Some of us, for our whole lives. We've backed our team year after miserable year. Now we finally have an unbelievably great year, and a shot at the big game. We have all the right in the world to celebrate. Sure, there are plenty of bandwagoners... just like every year with all the teams that do well. But this team has, and has ALWAYS had a solid, dedicated fan base.

Posted by: Saints Fan | January 17, 2007 10:07 AM

My young son saw the F*** da Eagles shirt and the next day he went to his school and killed his teacher. I blame the shirt and FOX. Its not my falt for giving my kid a gun and not teaching him wrong or right. Its FOXs fault for showing this shirt!

Posted by: bobwehadababyitsaboy | January 17, 2007 1:08 PM

I cannot believe that this t-shirt of all things, is getting this much attention. I have seen people out in public wearing shirts like that. I agree it is in bad taste for anyone to wear curse words on their clothing, but does it deserve this much attention? NO! I am 100% positive that your kids have heard or used that word and many other "bad words" when you were not around or too busy to pay attention. I unfortunately see the trend of let's blame everything we possibly can on someone else happening more and more. The funny thing is the more money your complaining costs any company (not just television and radio) the more the cost to other comsumers, who actually have a life and something better to do than sit around waiting for something to complain about, goes up. I also would have to say to the guy whose kid won't stop saying it to shut up and be a parent and explain to them that it is a bad word and should not be said. Are you going to confront a random person that says it and your kid picks it up?? GET OVER IT and move on with your uneventful lives. I personally laughed when I saw it! Hey and guess what..Maxim magazine is attempting to contact her. Lucky her and take the money if they offer!!

Posted by: Jenn | January 17, 2007 4:34 PM

freedom of speech thats all

Posted by: pat | January 17, 2007 5:41 PM

Got a problem with the Fox Network? Don't watch it. Problem. Solution.

Posted by: Blake | January 18, 2007 2:31 AM