Tech Podcast
The Bloggers

Apple Makes It Official

Mike Musgrove

Steve Jobs made it official today, announcing the iPhone and Apple TV at the Macworld Conference and Expo in San Francisco.

Oh, and no longer will the company be known as Apple Computer. From here on out, just call them Apple. Click here to read the story on washingtonpost.com.

By Mike Musgrove  |  January 9, 2007; 2:28 PM ET  | Category:  Mike Musgrove
Previous: Howard $tern's Big Payday | Next: Your Favorite Video On TV? Not Always.

Add Post I.T. to Your Site
Get This Widget >>

Comments

Please email us to report offensive comments.

I can't help feeling skeptical, if only because it's so amazing. The first thing I thought about when I saw iPhone was that this is exactly what sci-fi movies make mobile devices look like--fully touch sensitive, ulimited expandability for applications, and seamless integration of every feature. As soon as the network can support it, get ready for a true mobile videophone--it's not like apple doesn't already have the technology for it.

Posted by: jw | January 9, 2007 2:55 PM

The last time I checked, Cingular had poor satisfaction ratings with both J.D. Powers and Consumer Reports. I wouldn't change to Cingular for _any_ phone.

It will be interesting to see how well the iPhone performs in real-world usage, and how durable it is. Among other things, will the touch screen end up getting covered in finger prints and scratches?

Posted by: JohnJ | January 9, 2007 4:21 PM

The one thing that hasn't been answered is whether there will be an unlocked version. The agreement says Cingular is the only service provider that will sell it, but one has to wonder if Apple will sell them unlocked and allow you to take it to any GSM provider you wish.

Posted by: Andrew | January 9, 2007 6:03 PM

Did anyone glean whether or not it would support any sort of VoIP or even if the text messaging could be done over the internet to save on either phone minutes or text charges? If not, do you think that's part of the agreement with Cingular to keep those services from competing with theirs? What about independent added applications, like widgets, being uploadable?

Posted by: choops | January 9, 2007 9:51 PM

There will have to be an unlocked version at some point. Apple is an international company. And we all have access to eBay.

Posted by: Tim | January 9, 2007 10:47 PM

I doubt there will be an unlocked version any time soon. If there's one thing Apple's shown with iTunes, it's that they know how to play the property control game. They're all about corprate deals and protected formats. In the same way that only iPods can connect with iTunes and play downloaded music (without an annoying work-around) I'm sure that Apple will make sure the iPhone only gets used on carriers that they have deals with. Cingular is changing their infrastructure to support iPhone features, so even if you were able to hack the phone, some of the data features probably wouldn't work on a rival network.

One thing I do expect is for Apple/Cingular to come out with a new rate plan that makes more sense than what they offer now. Apple's all about integration, and a rate plan that has separate voice and data pieces isn't very Apple-ish. Maybe they'll find some what to combine the voice and data pieces so that there's just a "use" rate. Kind of like converting data transfer and voice minutes behind the scenes so your bill is just based on one number. So rather than getting a 500 minute plan and a 5 MB plan, you'd get a 750 point plan, where 1 minute = 20 KB = 1 point. Or something like that. Some people will use a lot of data, some people will talk a lot, some people will do both--I expect Apple will have plans that take that into account.

Posted by: jw | January 10, 2007 8:25 AM