Tech Podcast
The Bloggers

Microsoft offers (little) Xbox perks

Mike Musgrove

Microsoft has just introduced a new scheme intended to keep Xbox 360 owners glued to their consoles -- keep playing long enough and the company will give you some little perks, in a promotion the company is launching with Old Spice.

Announced here, the promotion takes advantage of the company's clever "gamerscore" feature.

Basically, an Xbox 360 owner's "gamerscore" keeps rough track of how far they've gotten in various games-- play a game and thoroughly explore every possible nook and cranny and it'll cough up 1,000 points, though getting all those points in one game title usually involves some serious dedication. I've played a few dozen games on the system and racked up just south of 5,000 points over the last year. Score another 1,500 "gamerscore" points during this promotion's two-month period (it kicks off Feb. 12), and I'd be eligible to win, among other similar perks, 100 Microsoft points- that's the official currency Microsoft uses to sell video content for the Xbox 360 or songs at the company's Zune marketplace store.

I said "little" perks, right? This all sounded vaguely exciting to me till I looked up what I can get for the 100 Microsoft points. Turns out I'd get about one song at the Zune markeplace, which sells songs for 79 points apiece-- or, about a buck.

So popular is the "gamerscore" feature as a bragging-rights sort of thing that it has even given rise to a side business of online services that will raise your score for you. At levelmy360.com, one such service, the site offers to raise a player's score 1,500 points for a whopping $120 (or, about 120 songs on Zune marketplace...).

By Mike Musgrove  |  February 8, 2007; 11:14 AM ET  | Category:  Mike Musgrove
Previous: CBS Goin' Mobile | Next: Wal-Mart's Video Download Service

Add Post I.T. to Your Site
Get This Widget >>

Comments

Please email us to report offensive comments.

The strange thing is the tie-in by Old Spice. What kind of message does this send about the 360? Our gamers are so intense they sweat? Or our gamers are so devoted they don't bother to shower.... Well, as they say, you got to play to win!

Posted by: Ken Keniff | February 8, 2007 2:27 PM

"It's Ken Keniff on the Internet, tryin'a get your kids with him into bed..."

Posted by: Anonymous | February 8, 2007 2:34 PM

Dont get me wrong I have an xbox 360 and love it but I think MS is trying to appeal to the older generation like the Wii. Its just that they dont realize even old people dont use old spice anymore.

Posted by: old spicer | February 8, 2007 3:52 PM

I think your jumping the gun a bit. I currently have 8925 GP. And I think any effort from any of these gaming giants is welcomed. And personally I use Oldspice products and I am 25.

I hope everyone that reads this editorial visits the official site and read the specifics. I know I have been dogging on a few games and I really think I can earn the 1100 gp (honestly, not game save loading or buying) to meet the top tier and than an additional 1500 in two months. Which at the top tier is giving away a package worth little over $65 if you can be one of the lucky submissions. Heck at my current rate I could earn 3000 gp.

Posted by: XBox360 Gamer Tag Kaiswil2 | February 8, 2007 5:26 PM

The top tier prize is worth about $65, true-- but keep in mind that about $50 of that amount is a copy of the new Msft game Fuzion Frenzy 2, which has gotten pretty bad reviews.

Posted by: Musgrove | February 8, 2007 6:52 PM

Come on, that's ridiculous. Fuzion Frenzy 2 is one of the best games out there. I'd paint three murals for some of that.....

Posted by: Paper Towels Karl | February 9, 2007 11:35 AM

Send me the wood and I'll build you a cabinet, Karl. The Beastie Boys are the brothers of the King of Rock.

Posted by: Musgrove | February 9, 2007 11:40 AM