Tech Podcast
The Bloggers

Celebrity Magazine 'Premiere' Goes All-Digi

Frank Ahrens

Premiere magazine, which for 20 years applied some rigorous journalism to celebrity and entertainment reporting, will stop publishing an ink-on-paper copy and move entirely to the Web and mobile devices, the mag's publisher said this week.

Hachette Filipacchi Media U.S. , which also publishes Car and Driver, Elle and Shock, said Premiere's April edition would be its last.

The company said that changes in the industry and the way consumers want celebrity news forced the closing of the magazine, which claimed a monthly circulation of just less than 500,000, down 100,000 from the mid-'90s. The mag's editor-in-chief will leave but Hachette did not say if there would be layoffs.

By Frank Ahrens  |  March 7, 2007; 6:00 AM ET  | Category:  Frank Ahrens
Previous: Blogs, Blogs, Everywhere | Next: Gates: U.S. Shutting Out Generation of Einsteins

Add Post I.T. to Your Site
Get This Widget >>

Comments

Please email us to report offensive comments.

That's what happened to Byte.

I miss Byte.

Posted by: wiredog | March 7, 2007 8:14 AM

This is a sad, but not unexpected day. I was a charter subscriber of Premiere until about 5 years ago, when they reduced the size *again* and jettisoned most of their decent staff for all celeb crapola all the time. Just what the world didn't need -- another USWeeklyPeopleStarInTouchHello. So I'll mourn the Premiere mag of the early 90s instead. Remember when Chris Connelly was the respected journalist in Premiere instead of the red carpet gadfly wanna-bee? Me too. Sigh.

Posted by: CallMeSkeptical | March 7, 2007 9:44 AM

I used to subscribe to Premiere when I was doing freelance film reviewing, but have not seen an issue in years. From Frank's blog, and from other comments, it sounds like they long ago gave up real journalism. Even though I have no professional interest any more, I still avidly read Entertainment Weekly because the writing is solid and the pub does not toady to celebs. At least not much.

Posted by: Jack | March 7, 2007 10:43 AM

Premiere didn't deal in gossip really so I don't see how TMZ would affect them. I think it was more their lack of great content. It's sad to see them go. Although I have been reading their rival Fade In Magazine for two years now (which I found at my local Borders after the Post named it Best Movie Magazine). Entertainment Weekly, to me, is like TV Guide.

Posted by: Michele P | March 8, 2007 12:40 PM

Thanks.

Posted by: Mao@bizmail.com | March 8, 2007 9:50 PM

This observation makes no sense: "The rise of Internet-only celeb news sites such as TMZ.com has put the squeeze on glossies such as Premiere."

Premiere isn't a gossip magazine! It has nothing to do with TMZ or those silly celebrity weeklies.

Honestly, this is why I hate blogs. They're not real journalism. No editor would have let you print that ridiculous observation in the newspaper because it's patently untrue. I agree with Michele P. that Premiere's demise can be traced to the shrinking content of the magazine, but also apathy from some longtime readers who gave up their subscription, but certainly not because of websites like TMZ or superficial.

With blogs, it's all about speed. But with speed comes inaccuracy and sketchy statements like yours....

Posted by: Chris W. | March 20, 2007 8:12 PM