Tech Podcast
The Bloggers

iPhone Fever Lights Up Blogs

The iPhone is here! The iPhone is here!

In case you missed it, today is the day that Apple's iPhone arrives. If you're like me -- a daily reader of way too many blogs -- you know there was no way you could miss this news. Over at Valleywag, a self-described Silicon Valley gossip blog, the top five entries today are about the iPhone - including a clip of the Today Show's Meredith Vieira fumbling with one of the "must-have" devices.

On Lifehacker, a blog largely devoted to technology productivity tools that are intended to make life easier, there's a posting on the iPhone's Top 10 applications. Over at ArsTechnica's Infinite Loop, there's an interesting read on a virtual meeting among Apple employees, where chief executive Steve Jobs talks about how the iPhone will forever change the mobile space (and how every full-time Apple employee and part-time employees with a year of service will receive an iPhone).

Matt Marshall, a former colleague of mine who now authors VentureBeat, chimed in this morning to highlight companies that are making iPhone announcements of their own today - some with applications for the iPhone, others offering support for the iPhone and some who are offering tips on how to get out of your current cellphone contract and switch to AT&T Wireless (the only wireless company offering iPhone service.)

I could go on and on - but I think you get the point. The blogosphere has iPhone fever. Truth be told, I initially thought about not adding to the coverage, here on Post I.T., but as you can see, the iPhone, much like Microsoft's Xbox and Sony's PlayStation3 before it, has become one of the most anticipated tech products to hit the market.

Here's a question for you: Is it too much? Was the hype and buildup an overkill of attention? Do you really feel like you need to read anything more about the iPhone? Personally, I'm looking forward to the day I get to take one on a test run. But since I'm not an AT&T Wireless customer (I'm one of those people who likes reading headlines and checking mail on the Metro, which I can only do on the Verizon Wireless network), I've pretty much accepted that I won't have an iPhone of my own anytime soon.

By Sam Diaz  |  June 29, 2007; 3:35 PM ET  | Category:  Sam Diaz
Previous: How Do You Use Your Phone? | Next: Teen Cell Phone Usage Soars in Summer

Add Post I.T. to Your Site
Get This Widget >>

Comments

Please email us to report offensive comments.

You can also access service in Metro tunnels with Spring PCS service, which roams (for free with all plans these days) on Verizon service.

Posted by: Steve | June 29, 2007 4:47 PM

In its current incarnation, the iPhone does look amazing.. but I am not so much interested in a phone as I am an all in one palm device. I cannot wait for any third party applications (commercial, shareware, freeware) that can be used with this.

I don't think of it as a phone, I think of it as a computer, with phone software.

This product can only go up. And I hope that up includes larger hard drive.

Until I see it and hear about it in the market, I will be waiting to purchase it as well... hoping for Iphone 2.0.

Posted by: Steven Mosher | June 29, 2007 5:31 PM

I already decided to pass on the iPhone lines, and greet the 'new models of Deal or No Deal instead! . . . with my Treo!

www.TalkTurkey.us

Posted by: metin | June 29, 2007 6:58 PM

I think the reality on ground was a bit different. The hype was more online and I think mostly on the West Coast.

For instance, I was down at the NYC Apple Store yesterday and the line was not all that long ...less than 34-40 people 24 hours before the phone went on sale. MSM and new media folks were the ones who were stopping by to chat with the folks standing in line and of course there were some curious passersby who wanted to know what the line was all about.

I videotaped and blogged about it on my site: http://kamlabhattshow.com/blog

kamla

Posted by: kamla bhatt | June 29, 2007 7:15 PM

Think your last point sums up the big question for Apple. They bet the i phone brand on the ATT brand. Phone hardware rarely lets people down- Apple better hope its users will be able to say yeah I can hear you now.

Posted by: Allen Adamson -www.brandsimple.com/blog/ | June 29, 2007 9:22 PM

> Was the hype and buildup an overkill of attention?

I think it's worth noting that most of the hype and buildup did not come from Apple.

Apple demonstrated the phone at two of its events -- one of which was a developer conference hardly aimed at the MSM -- and of course published info about the phone on its website.

That's pretty much it. Not much hype there. And unlike its usual practices, Apple had to pre-announce the product -- and has explained elsewhere its practical reasoning in doing so.

The hype and attention you describe were largely beamed out by the MSM and blogosphere.

It's like the Segway. The manufacturer's own promotional efforts were minuscule compared to the mountain of hype heaped onto it by the MSM. Segway and iPhone both are significant in their own right, but nothing could live up to the blather generated by others about them.

Posted by: Ewell JJ | July 2, 2007 12:00 PM