Tech Podcast
The Bloggers

Apple Offers Up The IPhone Rebate

Mike Musgrove

Apple has posted a page at its site where all those early iPhone buyers can get that $100 rebate promised last week.

In case you missed it, people who forked over $600 in order to have one of the first 8-gig iPhones got irate last week when Apple chief executive Steve Jobs announced he was slashing the price to $400, a mere couple of months after the device launched. To make nice with early iPhone owners who felt ripped off, he promised people in the $600 club a $100 rebate.

Getting the rebate is pretty straightforward: iPhone owners basically just need to enter their phone number and iPhone serial number at the site. The rebate can be used online or at Apple stores-- though, strangely enough, that $100 can't be used to buy stuff at Apple's iTunes store.

I just got my rebate; it was pretty easy. While iTunes would be the easiest way to spend some money, there are a few extra gadgets I've been meaning to pick up anyway.

By Mike Musgrove  |  September 14, 2007; 12:49 PM ET  | Category:  Mike Musgrove
Previous: AT&T Touts its Mobile Abilities | Next: Will Telecommuting Save the Planet?

Add Post I.T. to Your Site
Get This Widget >>

Comments

Please email us to report offensive comments.

According to the fine print you cannot use the credit for itunes.

Posted by: cb | September 14, 2007 3:20 PM

I got a $50 Apple store credit from a class action lawsuit regarding the 1G iPod batteries a couple years ago. It couldn't be used for iTunes either. There must be some agreement with the music labels about not allowing credit or something.

Posted by: kevin r | September 14, 2007 3:26 PM

It not about agreements with Music companies. It i a matter profit margins. A major chunk of the iTunes charges must be going to the Music companies, while in-store sales, means the cost is absorbed by Apple alone. Just it is just a write-off on the books against profits. Nothing more.

Posted by: KShah | September 14, 2007 5:16 PM

Pretty straight forward? Really? I bought four and returned one. I never activated the one I have (sold the other two below cost), just using it as an ipod (it is unlocked). I get nothing???? I have to sign up with AT&T the worst mobile phone company I can imagine to get the rebate? That is just BS. I get nothing for buying them in the first place and losing money on each one. How nice......

Posted by: Art | September 14, 2007 5:43 PM

Art -- what?
Why would anybody buy an iPhone for use merely as a music player? (You know Apple sells music devices that aren't also cell phones, right?)
And what does any of that have to do with you buying four of the things?

Posted by: Framp | September 14, 2007 5:55 PM

Just like in housing or tech bubbles, its almost reassuring to see that people are starting to realize that there is a risk in buying(investing in) something with the hope of making a quick buck when there's lots of hype.

Now, if you had your iphone displaying a tulip when the prize cut was announced...the circle would be complete.

Posted by: Doc Hollandaise | September 14, 2007 6:11 PM

Welcome to the marketplace, Art. You speculated, and you lost.

Posted by: Anon | September 14, 2007 6:17 PM

I have a 4g do they have a rebate for that or is it only the 8g?

Posted by: Anonymous | September 14, 2007 6:52 PM

> The rebate can be used online or at
> Apple stores-- though, strangely enough,
> that $100 can't be used to buy stuff at
> Apple's iTunes store.

You may be able to buy an iTunes gift certificate or card for yourself via http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/wa/RSLID?nnmm=browse&mco=19ACBC54&node=home/giftcards/itunes. I haven't tested it (alas, no iPhones in the UK yet) but it may be worth a try.

Posted by: Phil Edwards | September 14, 2007 8:51 PM

The rebate is valid for both 4GB and 8GB models.

Posted by: Michael | September 15, 2007 1:31 PM

The iPhone was worth $600 to me when I bought it, and if it hadn't been, guess what? I wouldn't have bought it! Duh!!! Of course the price was going to come down sooner or later-- who didn't know that?! This always happens with new technologies, and "early adopters" who don't realize it haven't been paying attention.

If you can't *afford* the best device out there, then don't cry about how much it costs-- instead, wait a few months or years and suddenly it'll be in most people's price range (e.g. personal computers, flat-screen TVs, et al.). Sure, it won't be the latest-and-greatest anymore-- but beggars can't be choosers, as they say! If you want top-of-the-line products, you'll always pay more. A Lexus will always cost more than a Ford-- that's just the way it is. Get over it!

As Doc H implied, most of the hue and cry over the price drop is from people who "speculated" on iPhones and probably never intended to use them anyway. Well, boo-hoo. I still love my 8GB iPhone even though it costs $200 less now than when I bought it. Yes, I have cheerfully taken advantage of the rebate... but I would have been just as happy without the credit because it is the easiest-to-use phone I've ever owned, the best *sounding* phone I've ever owned, a *fantastic* mobile internet device, oh-- and, by the way, also the best portable music & video player ever invented!

When the 3G model comes out next year, I'll be back in the Apple store in full "early adopter" mode, fully aware that I'll be paying more for it than someone who buys the same model six months later. In the meantime, I'll get six more months to enjoy the product, which is well worth the extra dollars anyway.

Posted by: Michael | September 15, 2007 2:39 PM

Anybody have tips for exporting Palm info to an iphone ??

Posted by: Woolery | September 15, 2007 3:21 PM

I easily got my 100 rebate this weekend and planned to use it online at the apple online store. unless i missed it there is nothing set up to handle the rebate at the online store, and i was unable to use the rebate!!

did i miss something?

thanks

Posted by: marty | September 17, 2007 11:00 AM

Apple can take a hike. The iPhone is my first Apple product and definitely my last. I bought the phone 17 days before the price break and now hold a non-transferable credit that is of absolutely no use to me. It cannot be used at itunes, nor can it be used to buy an itunes gift card as one reader pointed out earlier. I called customer service and was told that there is absolutely nothing that can be done and that there is no one at Corp HQ who will help. I'm incensed by this whole situation and will never buy another Apple product.

Posted by: Grant | September 17, 2007 5:41 PM

Isn't the bottom line that Steve lied to the customers? I think the rebate is a good deal, but it's not what he promised anymore. They've twisted it so that at worst it will have negligible impact on Apple and at best it will make them more money. Steve said "...a $100 store credit towards the purchase of any product at an Apple Retail Store or the Apple Online Store..". He lied. Here's the open letter: http://www.apple.com/hotnews/openiphoneletter/

Posted by: CJ | September 17, 2007 10:30 PM

Art - your phones are eligible, use the email address on the website and the troubleshooters will get back to you in 72 hours with how to redeem.

CJ - Neither the Retail Store nor the Apple Online Store are the iTunes Store - so where's the lie?

Posted by: insider | September 21, 2007 1:41 PM

wondering if this is a gimmick to stay in the media spotlight?

cheap trick, but sure does the job.

i won't recommend the phone to people anymore.

Posted by: appel | September 21, 2007 8:19 PM

wondering if this is a gimmick to stay in the media spotlight?

cheap trick, but sure does the job.

i won't recommend this phone to people anymore.

Posted by: appel | September 21, 2007 8:19 PM

bow wow lyrics bow wow lyrics [link=http://angellgallery.com/press/pdf/docs/resource-1742.html]bow wow lyrics[/link]

Posted by: bow wow lyrics | August 16, 2008 7:20 PM

pittsburgh central catholic football pittsburgh central catholic football [link=http://kawarthachildcare.com/userfiles/image/icons/comment-1043.html]pittsburgh central catholic football[/link]

Posted by: pittsburgh central catholic football | August 16, 2008 7:21 PM

outdoor chair cushions [URL=http://marcon.tv.it/uploads/tf/styles/news1382.html]outdoor chair cushions[/URL] [url=http://marcon.tv.it/uploads/tf/styles/news1382.html]outdoor chair cushions[/url] [url]http://marcon.tv.it/uploads/tf/styles/news1382.html[/url]

Posted by: outdoor chair cushions | August 17, 2008 1:49 AM

its site that video [URL=http://jakubdolejs.com/artwork/hires/thumbs/news-908-2008-06-18.html]its site that video[/URL] [url=http://jakubdolejs.com/artwork/hires/thumbs/news-908-2008-06-18.html]its site that video[/url] [url]http://jakubdolejs.com/artwork/hires/thumbs/news-908-2008-06-18.html[/url]

Posted by: its site that video | August 17, 2008 1:50 AM

front door mat [URL=http://dryflies.com/fishpics/wpThumbnails/pics/news1462.html]front door mat[/URL] [url=http://dryflies.com/fishpics/wpThumbnails/pics/news1462.html]front door mat[/url] [url]http://dryflies.com/fishpics/wpThumbnails/pics/news1462.html[/url]

Posted by: front door mat | August 17, 2008 8:42 AM