Tech Podcast
The Bloggers

AT&T Touts its Mobile Abilities

Kim Hart

If being the exclusive carrier of the much-hyped iPhone wasn't enough to solidify AT&T's place in the wireless world, the company is launching a new marketing campaign today to flaunt it's mobile-centric attributes.

Since the company absorbed Cingular Wireless last year--a merger that created the nation's biggest wireless provider--AT&T has been making efforts to integrate the brands while eliminating consumers' confusion. AT&T has now adopted orange--Cingular's signature color--for most of it's advertising and billing material.

"We want to send the message that Cingular is actually a part of AT&T," said Wendy Clark, AT&T's senior vice president for advertising. "The merger is about putting the best of both companies together."

She said AT&T is capitalizing on Cingular's "hip and young" reputation. Later this month, the company is releasing a teen-oriented feature that let's consumers build their own "digital personality" by swirling together colors representing their online activities. They can then post their unique color on social networking profiles, blogs and other personalized sites.

It seems AT&T is already considered to be a formidable wireless brand. Once the ads hit the airwaves, let me know what you think.

By Kim Hart  |  September 11, 2007; 7:13 AM ET  | Category:  Kim Hart
Previous: IPhone Price Cut Annoys Some | Next: Apple Offers Up The IPhone Rebate

Add Post I.T. to Your Site
Get This Widget >>

Comments

Please email us to report offensive comments.

Actually it's the other way around: Cingular bought AT&T Wireless..
See: February 17, 2004: 1:41 PM EST
NEW YORK (CNN/Money) - Cingular Wireless said Tuesday it would buy AT&T Wireless Services Inc. for about $41 billion, topping a rival bid from Vodafone of Britain in a deal that would create the nation's biggest mobile phone company.

Cingular, currently the nation's No. 2 cellular service provider, is paying about a 27 percent premium to shareholders of AT&T Wireless, the nation's No. 3 wireless phone provider. Vodafone, which had recently raised its offer to $38 billion, dropped out of the bidding Tuesday.

Posted by: raija | September 12, 2007 10:50 AM

I have more dropped calls than PAST service

Posted by: AT&T dropped calls | September 12, 2007 11:07 AM

Yes, what's more formidable and hip than those $3000 and $4000 AT&T iPhone roaming charges that people people are complaining about on the Apple forums and other blog sites ?

If you are not hip you are un-cool and totally broke thanks to the AT&T iPhone roaming charges.

Marketing their and Apple's defective systems as a hipness factor will quickly show up who is hot and who's not among the younger iPhone set.

This appears to be a brilliant ad campaign strategy even before it's launched.

Oh wait, are they supposed to be providing some reasonable service too ?

Posted by: richard | September 14, 2007 4:08 PM

Hey Richard...

Hello, I'm a Mac, and you're quite obviously a PC.

The only people with $4000 iPhone roaming charges are those who bought the iPhone in the USA, have spent all their time using it *OUTSIDE* the US, and weren't smart enough to sign up for one of AT&T's global voice/data plans for an extra $30 per month ($360/year). Hello-- it's a *domestic* product with a *domestic* phone contract; if you're going to be using your phone primarily *outside* the US, buy or rent a mobile phone in that country! Renting a "local" mobile phone is very economical for shorter international trips, and even having two phone contracts (one domestic, one international) ends up being *much* cheaper than paying roaming if you're spending any length of time outside the US and have to use a mobile phone that much!

I'm also not sure what everyone is complaining about with regards to the AT&T/ Cingular coverage... I've had Cingular/AT&T for years and used my phone all over the U.S., Canada, & Europe without a hitch. Granted, I don't make phone calls on Metro trains underground-- so I guess if you really *need* that feature you're limited to Verizon. Me, I'll keep my iPhone and listen to music or watch videos *on* the trains, then make my calls when I get *off* the trains! (What's more annoying than people talking on the phone in the middle of a crowded train anyway?)

Finally, would those "defective" Apple systems be the ones that are riddled with viruses, worms, program crashes, hardware and driver incompatibilities, and the infamous "blue screen of death"? Nope, sorry-- *those* would be the mighty Windows Vista / XP / Me / 2000 / 98 / 95 / 3.1 / DOS / POS systems that follow-the-crowd lemmings like you swear by (while swearing at them simultaneously).

I've been virus-free, bug-free, worm-free, and crash-free since '92, the year I bought my first Mac. Oh, and so has my computer. ;-)

Posted by: Michael | September 15, 2007 2:04 PM

WE ARE NOW BACK TO THE OLD AT&T. I HAVE NOW HAVE DIFFICULTY RETRIEVING MY EMAIL MESSAGES FOR THE FIRST TIME SINCE THE OLD AT&T WAS IN BUSINESS.

Posted by: GEO CLAPHAM | September 19, 2007 7:51 PM

I got good discounts as I shop for cell phones & wireless accessories products at [URL="http://www.couponalbum.com/coupons/att-wireless.htm"]ATT wireless[/URL] store through [URL="http://www.couponalbum.com"]Couponalbum.com[/URL].....!

Posted by: Alvin | December 17, 2007 7:01 AM