Tech Podcast
The Bloggers

Grand Theft Auto IV Leaked?

Mike Musgrove

Has Grand Theft Auto IV already been leaked to the Web?

Looks like some Xbox 360 owners are already playing the thing -- thanks to the software tools that Microsoft put into its Xbox Live service, it's easy enough to check online and see that at least a few people are apparently already playing the title, which officially goes on sale next week. Alas, it's impossible to tell whether these folks downloaded it or whether they're, say, chums with people at Rockstar, the game's developer.

Game blog Kotaku first reported a rumor that a version had been put up on Torrent sites earlier this week. But that version was only, apparently, playable on Xbox 360 consoles outside the U.S.

This would hardly be the first time a game has been leaked onto the Web before its official release date. Same thing happened to the last GTA game, to pick an example. At the time, Rockstar, the game's developer, issued a statement saying that it was looking into the matter and reminding gamers that piracy is theft.

Microsoft has said it is looking into the issue; Rockstar has not returned a call seeking comment on the matter.

By Mike Musgrove  |  April 25, 2008; 9:50 AM ET  | Category:  Mike Musgrove
Previous: LOLcats: Now Hiring | Next: Bethesda Softworks Parent Goes Global

Add Post I.T. to Your Site
Get This Widget >>

Blogs That Reference This Entry

TrackBack URL for this entry:

Comments

Please email us to report offensive comments.

FFS! people, stop robbing the industries you love, Practice at least 'The Code', If you download something, and enjoy it, support the company, go buy a copy, or convince people you know to buy it, or market the product on forums, and other various blog sites like crazy to make up for your indiscretion, by hyping it up to people... Don't blindly rob the companies you love, I'm a firm believer in digital freedom ie. downloading whatever you want, but consistently taking sales away from developers will crush any industry, and even the 'undergrounders' have to at least respect the companies they love a little bit. Rockstar deserves better.

Note: I suppose because it's Microsoft's console it's ok, I'd assume they rob the public, and Government on a general enough basis, Their system deserves low GTA sales, so that they cease to appeal to partnerships, (conspiracy theory: Are Sony faithfuls finally fighting back against MS, using MS manufactured "Dirty Tactics"?)
360 Fanboys might want to jump ship now, before more developers start to see 360 as a lose-lose situation.

Posted by: Truth | April 25, 2008 12:32 PM

That's if of course the 360 piracy goes un-attended, and snowballs into something that can't be slowed down.

Basically if the 360 piracy continues, look to my previous comment for the best solution... jump over to ps3.

Posted by: Truth | April 25, 2008 12:36 PM

It's only available on Linux.

Posted by: Rockstar | April 25, 2008 12:48 PM

Truth, you are totally straw-manning the piracy situation. If you believe in digital freedom, then you have to come to the conclusion that these people are taste-testing. They won't have the online functionality a real version will have on xbox live, and how are they supposed to buy it when the game isn't out yet? What's this thing about jumping ship for fanboys? The fanboys are the ones doing this, out of love for the system. Don't worry, they will buy it. I already have mine pre-ordered and paid. Think of it as just playing the extended demo!

Posted by: Falsehood | April 25, 2008 1:24 PM

My friend already has his legit special edition copy... this is not special, or necessarily indicative of theft.

Posted by: T | April 25, 2008 2:48 PM

My 12 year old nephew is an avid gamer and has had this game, no doubt pirated, for almost a week now. We are in Texas and he got it from his on- line gaming pal in Kentucky.

Posted by: dionysis | April 25, 2008 3:03 PM

These kids are smarter than the engineers. One whiff of a new game and they all have it. You cannot beat these kids. They have been trying for years and the kids are smarter than ever before. Give it up.

Posted by: deano | April 25, 2008 3:06 PM

- I'm not sure why a 12-year old has the game. Does his parents know what he is playing? One of the worst games for adult oriented content. The kid shouldn't touch it for 6 more years. Yeah, I'll have it when it is released (on order) but my 12-year old knows not to touch the M-rated games. No, I can't be there all the time nor at his friend's house but he knows why he isn't allowed to play them. As a parent all you have to do is play them for 5 mins and you will see why they are Rated-M.

Posted by: RamHawk | April 25, 2008 3:52 PM

you dumbasses. drama drama drama

Posted by: dumbass finder | April 25, 2008 11:17 PM

IMO Download the game if you will commit to buying it on the official release aswell.

Myself, I have a modded 360 but I'm a dedicated R* game player so I am waiting for a midnight release monday/tuesday.

Posted by: Tom UK | April 26, 2008 7:06 AM

I played it last night (26th april), the guy who has it has had it for the last 2 days. Proof? Don't ride a motorbike into a car, you'll go through the windscreen.

Posted by: Bazz | April 27, 2008 3:45 AM