Tech Podcast
The Bloggers

IPhone: Data Outage Problem?

Mike Musgrove

Update: AT&T just called me back to say this morning's problem has been fixed. It was a "routing issue where traffic was being routed incorrectly," a spokesman said.

Any other iPhone owners out there having accessing data from AT&T's wireless network today?

Apple's support page is lighting up with complaints about a possible outage.

One Apple user posts this:

"There are multiple reports of a widespread AT&T data outage affecting both 3G and EDGE networks. Phones show as connected to 3G or EDGE, but cannot access data. Voice, visual voicemail, and SMS are unaffected."

Sounds like the same experience that my iPhone-owning friends and I are having. Anyone else out there?

An AT&T spokesman I called to ask about the issue says he's looking into it.

By Mike Musgrove  |  September 3, 2008; 11:01 AM ET  | Category:  Mike Musgrove
Previous: Chrome: Google's New Browser Launches | Next: Spore: Carnivore Seeks Company

Add Post I.T. to Your Site
Get This Widget >>

Blogs That Reference This Entry

TrackBack URL for this entry:

Comments

Please email us to report offensive comments.

Yep. Out in St. Louis. Voice works fine, but no email or web via EDGE. Wifi access is fine, and is the work-around. Set email access to "manual" or iPhone battery life will be shortened.

Posted by: Joe in St. Louis | September 3, 2008 11:44 AM

Same problem here. I can get both icons showing E or G but no data from safari, mail, etc... bummer. Other sites are showing long forums where folks are complaing about the same. Looks like there is a pretty big outage.

Posted by: David T | September 3, 2008 11:44 AM

My Husband has the new 3G Iphone and my daughter and I have the older model using the edge network. None of the phones access the internet using the networks. My husband is in New Jersey today, his doesn't work there, My daughter and I are in Eastern PA and our's don't work here. WiFi works fine.
"Houston, we have a problem!"

Posted by: Diane B. | September 3, 2008 11:50 AM

Me and my 3 iPhone using friends are all down here in Wilmington, DE. Have been since I got up this morning.

Posted by: Kurt Tappe | September 3, 2008 11:57 AM

It's Back!

Posted by: Diane B. | September 3, 2008 11:58 AM

My iPhone browsed fine using 3G and Edge at about 1 a.m. last night, but this morning I couldn't access any data services. Thought it was a phone problem and restarted several times. I can get on with a wi-fi connection, but ATT networks give me no data, even though the phone shows full bars for 3G.

Posted by: D. in washington | September 3, 2008 11:58 AM

Call AT&T and ask for a credit. People are getting $20, $25.

Posted by: Karl | September 3, 2008 12:13 PM

It's back now. I called ATT, waited 24 minutes only to be connected to iPhone support at the smallest mention that I am an iPhone user.

I then had to wait another 20 or so minutes. After that, the iPhone representative said that power is down from Texas and east of it.

It's something that ATT Wireless could have told me! iPhone is such a great product. But ATT is making this $199 dollar super mobile phone look like a joke.

Read about two separate lawsuits in Alabama and California against ATT and Apple. I think Apple delivered the product perfectly, had updates ASAP, etc. ATT, however, has screwed up the whole thing.

It is back now but very choppy. I rarely end up REALLY 3G. Other times Edge has a quicker connectivity than 3G at half the battery usage. ATT is rediculous.

Posted by: Archie | September 3, 2008 12:41 PM

Nope still down in Richmond VA.

Posted by: Darrell | September 3, 2008 12:47 PM

I was headed to an appointment this morning and was counting on the GPS on my 3G iPhone to take me there.
As time went on, I realized there was a problem. I had to call my wife at work to have her use google maps to guide me there.
I am headed out of town today for business and I scheduled an appointment at the apple store to have them take a look.

I see that data seems to be working again but is extremely slow.

It's funny how much we count on our phones and when stuff goes down it like we are crippled.

For the record, I do not have the same confidence level in my iPhone 3G as I did with my BB or my trio in the past.

I am still having problems with lag with my phone. I find mail to be much slower than what I experienced on the BB as well.

Apple and ATT got this 3G phone about 75% right.

This phone is not ready for the enterprise yet. It is about 1 generation away.

Posted by: Faris | September 3, 2008 1:16 PM

My Verizon Wireless 3G service is fine. :)

Posted by: Ron | September 3, 2008 1:40 PM

Still down in VA. This morning since email and web were inaccessible and I did not have the phone number to call, I went to the Apple Store in Tysons and they said they had no appointments until 1:00, but didn't tell me there was an outage. I then called Apple and was on hold for an hour (with no announcements) until the very knowledgeable tech told me AT&T had a serious outage and it would be 24-48 hours until it was back up. He did say to turn off 3G and see if it improved my phone reception (see below).

I love Apple and would have paid whatever the price was for the original iPhone which we still have and for the 3G which I got a month ago, but I expect more from the product and the service provider. The 3G is far less reliable than the original for email connectivity, and these have been the worst two telephone call-droppers I have ever used. Maybe they will fix it now, but truly this is not yet ready for business use.

Posted by: Dan | September 3, 2008 4:45 PM

Honolulu Hawaii had it three weeks ago starting the afternoon of Aug. 13 and lasted almost that long. In the ensuing 18 days, my friends and I (all iPhone users) called AT&T daily, which initially admitted there were some issues Statewide. As the calls progressed, they started to dodge the issue and bounced us off to Apple support a couple time. We knew the issue was with AT&T, because the situation gradually improved from area to area, with downtown Honolulu being the last, and my office was probably in the dead zone the longest. As of last Friday, no data connection could be had still, but the system seemed to have recovered over the Labor Day weekend. We are good now, but imagine for 3 weeks straight with no Internet and email and AT&T kept denying their problem. AT&T's customer service really need to come clean sooner.

Posted by: John | September 3, 2008 9:42 PM

My iphone has been down all day. no internet or email. im in California. The outage is nationwide. help.

Posted by: alejandro de Castro | September 4, 2008 1:14 AM

I have the original and mine's been down since yesterday. NorCal and LAX

Posted by: Winter Fox | September 5, 2008 11:58 PM

Same thing happened to me in Central California last week (Labor Day) and it is happening to me now in Southern California (9/7) What's with this?

Posted by: Chris | September 7, 2008 4:39 PM