Tech Podcast
The Bloggers

Gears of War 2 Launches

Mike Musgrove

No doubt, the big video game launch of the week is Gears of War 2, which is hitting retail shelves today. I got a chance to play a few chapters yesterday and I'd say it seems as gripping as the first one, so far. (Some early highlights: Trying to blow incoming mortars out of the sky before they hit a gigantic tank vehicle you're riding on, and trying to shoot some quick-moving possum-sized critters that explode if they get too close to you.) The feel of the game and the basic gameplay is exactly the same as in the original game. Good stuff.

If you're a Gears fan looking for something other than the reviews, which all seem to be positive, I recommend this New Yorker profile of Epic Games and Gears producer Cliff Bleszinski. According to Bleszinski the Gears world is supposed to feel like a "sci-fi" hybrid of London and Washington, D.C. Who knew?

If anybody got a copy and wants to post their impressions here, please go for it.

By Mike Musgrove  |  November 7, 2008; 11:47 AM ET  | Category:  Mike Musgrove
Previous: Obama Picks High-Tech and Washington Veteran to Transition Team | Next: Call of Duty's History Lessons

Add Post I.T. to Your Site
Get This Widget >>

Blogs That Reference This Entry

TrackBack URL for this entry:

Comments

Please email us to report offensive comments.

I was able to get my hands on a copy of Gears of War 2 last night at midnight. The game is waaaay better than the 1st. Definately worth standing on that line for my copy. I only played act 1 and went to sleep (due to class the next day) but I will definately enjoy myself tonight when I get home.

Posted by: JAZapata312 | November 7, 2008 2:23 PM

AMAZING game!! 10/10. Much better than the first game.

Posted by: kse6992 | November 7, 2008 6:50 PM

I've made it to midway through the 3rd Act of campaign on Hardcore as well as playing a lot of multiplayer. The Horde mode is everything the positive reviews said and more. Also nice is the ability to have bots fill a room and keep teams even for you in multiplayer and xbox live games. When a friend joins they will just take the place of one of the bots, if a friend leaves a bot gets put into place. Try out the submission (meat flag) game type.

Posted by: markhorn | November 8, 2008 2:46 PM

You said "No doubt, the big video game launch of the week is Gears of War 2". I wonder if you are aware that World of Warcraft: Wrath of the Lich King" is being released on Thursday. I doubt that millions of people will be at stores at midnight and also taking the the day off from Work or School with the release of Gears of War.

Posted by: PriestGoodbar | November 11, 2008 4:57 PM

Gears of War is far superior to the original. The ai is far more intelligent and resilient, but the character development is by far what stands out above other game play changes. Without any knowledge of the original, anyone could pick it up and immediately feel immersed into the game. The graphics are amazing as usual, and the storyline is multifaceted and complex. There is also a puzzle based aspect added similar to the Half-Life series that adds another level of game play. Definitely a solid follow up to the original on all levels. 9.5/10 for some small in-game graphics quirks

Posted by: td_photog | November 12, 2008 7:49 AM

"Trying to blow incoming mortars out of the sky before they hit a gigantic tank vehicle you're riding on" -- "mortars" aren't incoming -- "mortar rounds" are.

Posted by: rangerjim1 | November 13, 2008 3:19 PM