Tech Podcast
The Bloggers

IPhone 3.0 Software: It's Here, Finally.

Mike Musgrove

Update: Oh yeah. I am stuck in emergency mode once again, courtesy of the 3.0 update. Seems like some of you below are stuck there, too.

Personally, I tried calling Apple support and here's what they told me: My 3.0 update probably installed fine, but the phone now needs to connect to iTunes to verify my account information. Right now, everybody with an iPhone is trying to connect to iTunes and "our servers can only take so much traffic."

Not sure if this is the same problem a few of you guys are having, but Apple's advice, basically, was: Wait for a while and try again later.

If you haven't tried to download and install the 3.0 software update, I'd say holding off for a while is probably a good idea.

In the meantime, I'm glad I still have a landline.

_ _ _ _ _

Well, that took long enough.

Apple had promised to release the latest major update to the iPhone's operating system today, but the company didn't specify what time users could expect to download OS 3.0. Last time around, Apple released its iPhone update in the morning, an event that turned into a minor fiasco for the company when its servers were slammed and many were left with a phone stuck in the almost entirely useless "emergency" mode.

I'm downloading and installing the update right now; hopefully things don't go south this time...

The new iPhone software introduces some features that likely should have been incorporated into the device when it was released a couple of years ago. Users can now "cut, copy and paste" text from one application to another, for example, and use a new search function to look up information parked in various application databases. One new feature allows users to incorporate a picture into their text message (though, whoops, AT&T, the only carrier with the iPhone, doesn't support this just yet. That's coming later this summer).

Users will now also be able to record voice memos and buy more stuff directly from the iTunes store. Apple is touting a new, enhanced stock checking application (as of this writing, AAPL is down two cents today).

The update is free for iPhone owners and $9.99 for owners of the iPod Touch.

If you're an owner of one of these devices and hit a glitch, please post away. Otherwise, see you on the other side.

By Mike Musgrove  |  June 17, 2009; 1:49 PM ET  | Category:  Mike Musgrove
Previous: Twitter Users And The #IranElection | Next: ZeniMax Media Acquires Id Software

Add Post I.T. to Your Site
Get This Widget >>

Blogs That Reference This Entry

TrackBack URL for this entry:

Comments

Please email us to report offensive comments.

Donwloading it now (9 minutes remaining)! Are you still looking to get the 3GS, probably worth it from a 1st gen user, not worth it for us "original" 3G owners? Buy the new Macbook instead, although now I wish I had one with the Firewire (since that is what my camcorder supports and not USB). Otherwise happy.

Posted by: mafflerbach | June 17, 2009 2:15 PM

I'm having the same problem some had with the last update: I'm stuck in emergency mode. I've tried restarting the phone (4 times now) and removing and dusting off the SIM card (a solution I found elsewhere), all to no avail.

Anyone have any suggestions? I have an appointment at a Genius Bar for later this afternoon, but I'd rather not have to go....

Posted by: rubinjb | June 17, 2009 3:04 PM

No joy. Continously getting "The IPhone cannot be updated at this time because the IPhone activation server is temporarily unavailable." Apple will never get this right--I'm convinced they just don't care. The IPOD/IPhone is an amazing product, but the support is the WORST in the industry. And not holding AT&T's feet to the fire to deliver services at launch--completely unacceptable. This is the best phone I have ever owned, but if the service does not improve, I will not remain loyal much longer. ITUNES is just about the worst software I have ever used. Couple that with the repeatedly lousy Apple support during various lauches and you have the reason I have not purchased ANY Macs.

Posted by: jbrown98 | June 17, 2009 3:11 PM

Just installed the 3.0 update. And I'm stuck in emergency mode...

Posted by: davidrfoote | June 17, 2009 3:13 PM

i got stuck in emergency mode too, and i thought my phone might have been bricked for some reason so i followed an unbricking tutorial that worked... what you need to do is put the phone in recovery mode by turning it off. next hold the home button (while the phone is still off) and then sync it. Do not let go of the home button until you see the connect to itunes screen, then just follow the remaining itunes instructions, it worked for me...

Posted by: keegler | June 17, 2009 3:21 PM

Downloaded and installed with no problems on my original iPhone 1 with 4gb. I had been monitoring phobos.apple.com and looking for when 3 appeared. Very smooth process overall. Copy, cut, and paste works great. Call log now shows time and other demographic info.

Posted by: rogernebel | June 17, 2009 3:38 PM

No problem here, either. Cut, copy, paste implementation is particularly spiffy! Some apps work out of the box, others will need updates. Random House's free dictionary app did NOT work with 3.0--they have a new version that does, yet oddly the App Store app reported all apps up to date!

Even though my update went smoothly, I'm sympathetic to those having trouble. Hope you all get things fixed soon.

Posted by: Astrogal | June 18, 2009 5:56 PM

Upgrade went fine. But won't getting past 75% of the backup on sync ever since.

Posted by: filmjoy | June 19, 2009 7:19 AM

befor going for an iphone OS 3.0 update you might want to look here..

Posted by: katrinak1 | June 24, 2009 10:32 AM