Network News

X My Profile
View More Activity

Another incident, another company withdraws, validating Go Daddy's move out of China

An Australian domain name registrar said last week it would stop taking new accounts in China. And the Web site of Foreign Correspondents Club of China recently experienced two days over continued cyber attacks.

Those events were among the scattered episodes in recent weeks that reaffirms Go Daddy's decision to stop business in China, said executive vice president Christine Jones. Go Daddy and Network Solutions are domain name registrars that have stopped new business in China following that government’s push for tighter controls over online content. Last week, Net Registry, an Australian domain name hosting company said it would also stop taking new accounts but would continue hosting existing .CN Web sites.

“Each time see story like that, it’s confirmation that we did the right thing,” Jones said in a telephone interview over the weekend.

She said the episodic attacks or firewalls such as that Google experienced last week on its Hong Kong site, indicates Go Daddy, Network Solutions and Google could be in for a long standoff with the Chinese government over Internet censorship.

“Meanwhile we will hurry up and wait. Whether it takes months or years, no final resolution will be reached until there is action via Congress or the U.S. Trade Representative and big business together,” Jones said. She said the issue of online censorship in China and other nations needs to be part of a bigger dialogue on trade relations between the U.S. and other nations.

Those companies have been the few to alter course in China. And while business in China represents about 1 percent of revenue for Go Daddy and Google, the country of 400 million Web users is seen as an important market to growth their businesses.

Separately, last week, the Foreign Correspondents Club of China shut down its Web site last Friday after continued denial of service attacks. In an email to its members that it was unclear if the denial-of-service attacks on their Web site last week were from the Chinese government. But the attacks stemmed from within the U.S. and China. The event came days after foreign journalists said they discovered their Yahoo email addressed had been breached. They said it was unclear who had hacked into their accounts and that Yahoo hadn't explained the circumstances around the episode.

"We do not know who is behind these attacks or what their motivation is," the organization said in the letter about the recent Web site attack.

By Cecilia Kang  |  April 5, 2010; 9:00 AM ET
Categories:  Google , International  
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Gloves off, telecom giants to FCC: It's on!
Next: Google's chief Internet evangelist to FCC: Share use of spectrum, make sure everyone gets on

Comments

Cecilia are you retarded? Why would any government suddenly attack a press organization? It can simply legislate laws to outlaw it if need be?

Go back to journalism school

Posted by: evilmang0 | April 5, 2010 6:18 PM | Report abuse

Another side effect of all this is that the China domain registry is also restricting .cn registrations to those providing a china-based business license. According to EnCirca.com, this effectively prevents foreign trademark owners from protecting their trademarks in China.

Posted by: washingtonpost57 | April 6, 2010 11:23 AM | Report abuse

The comments to this entry are closed.

 
 
RSS Feed
Subscribe to The Post

© 2010 The Washington Post Company