Readers tell stories of reconnecting on or rejecting Facebook

Thank you, readers, for sharing your Facebook stories.

Some of you thought the exercise was silly, calling the site and relationships formed there shallow and "inane." Others have experienced profound reconnections and formed new relationships on the site. But one thing's for sure: The six-year-old site, soon to reach 500 million users, has struck a nerve. (Disclaimer: Washington Post Co. Chairman Donald Graham sits on the board of Facebook.)

One reader learned of her sorority sister's death there, and another learned that a school pal he thought had died was alive. One man met his wife on Facebook, and others have connected with old friends on the site. Call it an online cocktail party, or a waste of time, the stories kept coming. My colleague, Rob Pegoraro, writes up how regardless of membership, users say the site isn't delivering the best customers service.

As you read through some of the contributions below, I'm reminded of an extraordinary story written by my colleague, Michael Ruane, that I thought was worth revisiting. It's about a woman who found the two rescuers who saved her as an abandoned baby 20 years ago.

Here are some of your posts that caught our interest. Thanks for sharing!

the best thing that has happened to me re Facebook is that my long lost daughter (who was born and raised in Paraguay) was able to locate me using Facebook.
We use it to "chat" for an hour or more almost every day ;)_
Posted by: markmayhew | July 20, 2010 2:36 AM | Report abuse

I'm a former MySpace user and reconnected with an ex on that site. Our messages there didn't last long, so I figured he just wanted to see how I was doing and then get back to life-after-us.

Fast forward to now, 4 years later, when he found me on Facebook. When he mentioned disappearing from the MySpace community, I asked why it happened. It turns out his son read our messages on MySpace about whether or not we would meet up for coffee over Christmas holiday. The kid assumed his dad was cheating on his wife with me and changed my ex's profile to Hello Kitty (?!?). I doubt we'll keep in touch now, but apparently not a holiday goes by without them exchanging something related to Hello Kitty. It seems my memory will live on through a terrible, dated character.
Posted by: beverhart8 | July 19, 2010 10:47 AM | Report abuse

In grade school, I met a cute little girl that I really liked, we were good friends, but had our separate group of friends, she was one year older than me, so often I was not invited to the same gatherings, school functions, etc. as we entered High School, we grew apart, and went our separate ways. Almost 20 years later, I found her again in Facebook, we started talking every day through email, and then on the phone, we quickly made plans for me to make the 3 hour drive to visit with her. On this visit I fell in love with her all over again, we dated long distance for almost 5 months, each time we parted it was harder and harder so to say goodbye, shortly after I transferred jobs within my company, we lived together, and by the end of that year we were engaged. We are now married and working on our first child together. We love each other very much, and thankful that there was a Facebook to bring us back together.

I have since disabled my Facebook page, over the privacy concerns, and over the direction that the site has started to take, my wife and I do not agree on this issue, but I am still thankful for the one very positive change it has had on my life.
Posted by: chazeb | July 19, 2010 12:33 PM | Report abuse

Not connected at all, don't have Facebook. I have a life and real friends who don't care what I do every 30 minutes, only we get together, in person (how weird, isn't it?).
My only concession is Linkedin, that's for professional reasons of course.
Posted by: eaglestrk01 | July 19, 2010 12:54 PM | Report abuse

I'm a young widow with two kids at home. There aren't a lot of support groups or people who understand what it's like to have lost the love of your life before you really have gotten your life going.

I found an online bulletin board especially to support young widows, and many of the people there are on Facebook. We cheer each other up, cheer each other on. We remember each other's birthdays and wedding anniversaries -- when nobody else wants to.

No, I don't know all these people in "real life" but they offer me more strength, courage, and understanding than 99% of the people I see every day in the neighborhood and every week at church.
THANK YOU, FACEBOOK!

By Cecilia Kang  |  July 20, 2010; 12:40 PM ET
Categories:  Facebook
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Reforms urged in federal Universal Service Fund for rural phones
Next: FCC says broadband not expanding fast enough; telecoms criticize report

Comments

Fantastic stories. Thrilled with great inner soul feelings while reading the stories. I assume these to be true stories, not the cooked up ones. I am not doubting WP. My only concern is that are the people who have shared their stories with WP are having real stories or they have created one just to share with WP? not sure.

Anyways, I happy to see the amount of response Facebook has got. Social Networking has brought two individuals together without any borders or boundaries and connecting them together suppressing all the restrictions the human race has in the real world.

Posted by: nikhilnarayan | July 21, 2010 7:40 AM | Report abuse