Posted at 2:54 PM ET, 02/23/2011

Obama names Facebook, Intel and Comcast execs to new jobs council

By Cecilia Kang

President Obama named Facebook chief operating officer Sheryl Sandberg, venture capitalist John Doerr and Comcast chief executive Brian Roberts to his council on jobs and competitiveness, highlighting the administration's emphasis on high-tech and media firms to help shape economic policy.

The White House named the members of the council after previously announcing AOL founder Steve Case would head the committee. The appointment of Paul Otellini, CEO of Intel, was announced last week.

Here are other tech members:

• Steve Case, founder, AOL
  • Kenneth I. Chenault, CEO, American Express
  • John Doerr, partner, Kleiner Perkins Caufield & Beyers
  • Paul S. Otellini, CEO, Intel
  • Richard D. Parsons, current CEO, Citigroup; former CEO, Time Warner
  • Brian L. Roberts, CEO, Comcast
  • Sheryl Sandberg, COO, Facebook

See a full list of the members of the Council on Jobs and Competitiveness here.

Related stories:
At Obama private tech meeting, even Twitter couldn't tweet

Intel CEO, new jobs adviser, announces new chip plant

Obama touts ambitious wireless Internet plan

By Cecilia Kang  | February 23, 2011; 2:54 PM ET
Categories:  Comcast, Facebook, Intel, Tech for Development
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: The Circuit: Huawei wins injunction, Netflix and CBS team up, Google revises SSN policy for kids
Next: The Circuit: Assange can be extradited, Apple succession proposal fails, Disney buys kids' social network

Comments

Well, we could've saved a lot of money on the budget by NOT hiring this very top $ people!

What a lot of show and no meat. They are just going to create companies that hire overseas rather than using Americans.

If we want jobs to stay in America, we have to make America attractive to Foreign buyers and make constructing corporations in foreign countries financially unattractive by taxing the bejuju out of them. Money is the language; let's use it.

Of course that won't happen because the politicians are owned by corporations. We citizens just foot the bill.

Posted by: hebe1 | February 23, 2011 4:38 PM | Report abuse

I bet every one of them supports bringing in more H1B workers.

Posted by: gbooksdc | February 23, 2011 7:01 PM | Report abuse

Too funny, if his hidden intel opens they could be in trouble for colluding with the Fraud - in - chief.
If they are smart they will run not walk away from this.

Posted by: dottydo | February 23, 2011 9:18 PM | Report abuse

Obama's rabid ferrets sent to watch over the innocent chicks. This collect of job outsourcing traitors, abusers of the H1-B visa, should be going to prison, not in some position where they can do further harm to American workers. Only someone as self centered, stupid, and amoral as Obama would even imagine that these cockroaches would pass public muster.

Posted by: mibrooks27 | February 24, 2011 12:22 AM | Report abuse

Ok, so I'm 60 years old, 30 years in IT, over 15 years in health care and laid off.

I have wanted to become a GE consultant AT MY OWN EXPENSE and was told that GE doesn't accept private consultants.

Has anybody done an extensive study of all these companies on Obama's job council to determine:
Exactly what programs they have for providing jobs.
Are any of them investing in training?
What programs do they have for over 50 year olds?

I bet the answers would be very surprising.

Power to the People!!!

Posted by: pgobe | February 24, 2011 3:12 AM | Report abuse

It does have an element of preaching to the choir.

It's not like the Tech industry has 15% unemployment.

Posted by: DogNabit | February 24, 2011 5:54 AM | Report abuse

these are all outsourcers...
will the recommend bring more indians to America...
why can't obama get it right...

Posted by: DwightCollins | February 24, 2011 6:11 AM | Report abuse

I don't think we CAN fix this. I was one of the idiot's who got sucked into voting and campaigning for Obama. I viewed him as the best chance to get rid of job outsourcing and free trade. Well, all of the time, this nasty scumbag was planing on keeping the Bush, Clinton, Wall Street gravy train for the wealthy running. I model the economy and everything I see shows a complete meltdown, a collapse of not just the economy, but our social fabric. I would assume that Obama has people running models who have been telling him the exact same thing, so I am left trying to figure out what this phony is up to, what Washington is up to. This crowd of Obama appointees are the same breed of cockroaches as Geithner, Summers, that new swine from GE, and all of those former (and future) Goldman Sachs robber barons. One way or another, our economy collapses sometime this year.

Posted by: mibrooks27 | February 24, 2011 10:45 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: mibrooks27 | February 24, 2011 10:51 AM | Report abuse

Comrades: What do these electron pushers BUILD? Oh, Facebook . . . yakking on cell phones . . . watching Opera donate gadgets to the audience . . . real job creation, all!!

Posted by: rep15 | February 24, 2011 10:54 AM | Report abuse

Obama had better be VERY careful how much he chooses to believe the words and agendas of these corporate tycoons.

It is these same corporate leaders who invented and developed outsourcing, and also asked for H1B visas so that less paid foreign workers could replace American tech workers. I saw all this when I worked at Microsoft.

Posted by: JamesCaroll | February 24, 2011 3:11 PM | Report abuse

A jobs council with only executives on it. Unions, labor, workers not represented at all.

Is there a difference between Obama and Bush on jobs?

Posted by: geezjan | February 24, 2011 8:42 PM | Report abuse

I find that Brian Roberts on this panel is very upsetting. I work for comcast we used to pride ourselves on being able to tell our customers"you will always be able to speak to someone local or at the very least after certain hrs someone in US" not anymore, there are major chages going on, and we have outsourced call centers springing up everywhere. I can not tell you how many customers have voiced their concern when speaking to me, but I guess as long as they are saving money on labor cost that is all that matters.

Posted by: mrodriguez1427 | March 2, 2011 7:03 PM | Report abuse