Northern Region First and 10
With the football season beginning this week, let’s take a by-the-numbers spin through the Northern Region.
1. Returning first-team all-region players on offense, defense and special teams: Annandale junior wide receiver Melvin Robinson, Oakton senior defensive back Andrew Leonard and Madison senior kicker-punter James Devens (first team at both spots last year).
2. New coaches: J.T. Biddison (West Springfield) and Bill Lapthorn (Marshall). Lapthorn, a Marshall assistant, replaced Biddison. Biddison left Marshall to take the reins at West Springfield following the resignation of longtime coach Bill Renner.
3. Teams in different districts this season: Hayfield went from the Patriot to the National. W.T. Woodson went from the Liberty to the Patriot. And Fairfax went from the Concorde to the Liberty.
4. Consecutive years in which Edison and Stone Bridge have met in the Division 5 region final: Stone Bridge has won three of the games, including 35-6 last year. Also the number of wins for Hayfield since neighboring South County opened in 2005. The move to the National should steadily increase that total.
5. A repeat from last year’s list, but such a concentration of power bears repeating: Schools that have won the Division 6 region title the past 13 years: Chantilly (1996, 2006), Robinson (1997, 2001, 2004), Centreville (1998, 1999, 2000), Oakton (2002, 2005, 2008) and Westfield (2003, 2007). That’s the current Concorde District, minus Herndon.
6. Teams that have not reached the playoffs this decade: Fairfax, Falls Church, McLean, Stuart, T.C. Williams and Wakefield. They were a combined 12-48 last season. Washington-Lee dropped off the list from last year.
7. Games last season in which Paul VI Catholic running back Idreis Augustus -- now a senior at Lee -- either rushed for more than 100 yards (six times) or scored four touchdowns (once, on an 84-yard night).
8. Players with the first name Connor in the six-team Concorde District: Centreville’s Coward, Culleiton and Howell; Oakton’s Anderson and Johnson; Robinson’s Riley and Westfield’s Kirkham and McCeney. That’s a lot of Connors for a name that was the 80th most popular boys’ name in 1992, around the time that these guys were born. Apologies to Oakton’s Conner (with an e) Pearson. I already had an item for No. 9 but needed one for No. 8, so I went with Connors with an 'o'.
9. Playoff teams from 2008 on the Centreville schedule -- Annandale, Edison, Yorktown, South County, Mount Vernon, Herndon, Chantilly, Oakton and Westfield. The only non-playoff qualifier is Week 10 opponent Robinson, which went 5-5 and is ranked 17th in the preseason Top 20. Centreville was 1-9 last year.
10. Consecutive non-losing seasons for Edison, the third-longest such streak in the region. The Eagles have gone 88-25 during that time. Robinson has gone .500 or better for 19 straight years and Oakton has done it the past dozen. Ten is also the number of starters Chantilly graduated on each side of the ball.
September 4, 2009; 9:00 AM ET
Categories: AAA Concorde District , AAA Liberty District , AAA National District , AAA Patriot District , Football , Northern Region | Tags: AAA Concorde District, AAA Liberty District, AAA National District, AAA Patriot District
Save & Share: Previous: South County Scorer Off to Fast Start
Next: Renner's 5-Wide Attack Fuels Lake Braddock
The comments to this entry are closed.