Print Columns   |   Web Chats   |   Blog Archives   |

Bye-Bye Hecht's Warehouse

I'm not surprised. I knew it was coming. In fact, I even mentioned it in a column a while back. Having bought Hecht's, Federated Department Stores finds it doesn't want the distinctive art deco warehouse that has graced New York Avenue NE since 1937.

You know what, though? It's probably better that they're selling it, since converting it to Macy's--as they're doing with many of the Hecht's stores--just wouldn't be right. I don't think I could ever bring myself to call it the "Macy's Warehouse." The term "Hecht's Warehouse" is ingrained in our collective brains from countless radio traffic reports.

Here's hoping it can be transformed into something cool, something befitting its stylish exterior. I'll bet a lot of those commuters who creep up and down New York Avenue have an idea: condos. If you lived there, you'd be home by now.

[[And just for the record, this is John Kelly a-bloggin' here. Join me at 1 p.m. today for my online chat.]]

By John Kelly |  March 24, 2006; 6:14 AM ET
Previous: Overwhelmed by Minutiae | Next: Accidents Will Happen; Punishments Should

Comments

Please email us to report offensive comments.

Although I'm a big fan of Marc Fisher, I'm going to miss you in this space next week. Perhaps you could convince the Post to increase your salary by, say, 30% and then create your own blog.

Of course, if I have one more Post blog to read, I may lose my own job!

Posted by: THS | March 24, 2006 6:57 AM

Ah, memories! Peoples Drug Store. Pappy Parker Fried Chicken. I don't care for Macy's. I'm more of a JC Penny or Target person.

Posted by: Worker Bee | March 24, 2006 7:55 AM

How about the idea of creating a little "artsy retail village" within the warehouse?? Lease the space to indie entrepreneurs who can have shops containing one of kind clothing articles, accessories, art work, jewelry. Throw in some little cafes, maybe schedule some music or poetry for after work...the list could go on. I bet a lot of young career professionals would frequent a place like that.

Posted by: maggie | March 24, 2006 8:46 AM

Using the art-deco warehouse building as a warehouse is a waste. Better to convert the gem of a building to offices or condos and move warehouse uses out of the city.

www.dcbubble.blogspot.com

Posted by: dcbubble | March 24, 2006 8:48 AM

It's a distinctive building, sure, but the location on that seedy commuter strip is sub-prime for condos. Who'd want to walk out of their front door onto a narrow sidewalk bound on one side by a monolithic wall (the warehouse) and heavy traffic (NY Ave)? Heck, is there even any room for a row of shade-trees? If it's to be retail, how would we get people communiting to and fro to stop *there*?

Posted by: location location | March 24, 2006 10:05 AM

new york avenue rt 50 was always out to the beaches as a kid so we would pass that as kids. location location is right, it is an awkward piece of land wedged near the rail tracks a whole bunch of run down motels etc. but crazier redevelopments have happened...

Posted by: memory lane | March 24, 2006 12:12 PM

It' might be tough to convert to condos without adding windows and ruining the whole look of the place.

Posted by: Gunnar | March 24, 2006 2:09 PM

I like the idea of an artsy retail village, provided there's ample parking. Maybe it could be our version of the Torpedo Factory.

Posted by: John Kelly | March 24, 2006 2:10 PM