Print Columns   |   Web Chats   |   Blog Archives   |

And The Winner Is...Shout!

Thanks to the many of you who entered the Guess the Last Oldie contest.

Unfortunately, though your guesses were considerably more creative than anything the folks at Clear Channel were able to come up with, nobody picked the final song, or even any of the songs played in the last half hour. I'll use the judge's prerogative and award the prize to the entry that came closest in spirit, which was Marci W's "Louie, Louie," which is pretty near to "Shout!" in era and type of song. Marci, please email me at marcfisher@washpost.com with your postal address and I'll get the prize out to you.

Here's the station's last half hour of songs in the old format:

Shout! Isley Brothers 4:56pm
Danny's Song Loggins & Messina 4:52pm
Make Me Smile Chicago 4:49pm
Time of the Season Zombies 4:45pm
Sweet Mary Wadsworth Mansion 4:42pm
I Heard It Through the Grapevine Gladys Knight & The Pips 4:39pm
All Right Now Free 4:35pm

The new station opened, predictably enough, with Bachman-Turner Overdrive's "You Ain't Seen Nothing Yet," followed by Elton John's "Bennie and the Jets" and the Eagles' "Hotel California." So you can see where they're going--a more pop version of the classic rock menu now heard on 94.7 The Arrow.

More in the morning from The Post's Paul Farhi, and I'll explore the switch in my next Listener column on April 16. Thanks for playing. Any initial reactions to the new station?

By Marc Fisher |  April 3, 2006; 4:51 PM ET
Previous: Goodbye Oldies, Hello What...More 'Classic Rock?' | Next: Lesson #1 From the Final Four: Big Game, Easy Ticket

Comments

Please email us to report offensive comments.

One hour in and gawd this station is boring. Another station playing songs we've heard 1 million times. I liked the previous "oldies" format because I'm 43 and sometimes I'd hear an oldie that reminded me of summers in my childhood or early teens. Sometimes I'd hit the station for a few minutes in the hope that I'd hear "Ferry Cross the Mercy" as I did once by accident when I was just scanning the dial.

Do these programmers have no idea why satellite radio is winning?

Posted by: Anonymous | April 3, 2006 6:08 PM

(Um...Isn't it "Ferry 'Cross the Mersey"? Dunno for sure.) Anyway, the definition of "oldies" seems like the definition of "antiques" - a moving target. Amusing to this 56-year-old to see rap mentioned in the same breath as oldies or classic.

Also amusing is the intimation of niche music as new. Offhand, I can think of eight genres that had developed by 1970. About five of those, you could hear only on WHFS.

And surely by 1980 there were dozens more, if only in the "dance" subcategories, but I wasn't paying much attention to it by then, thank you disco (but no thanks) and how about them BeeGees? When an artist or a band switches genres now, I read they're branching out. When the BeeGees issued a disco tune, we said they'd sold out.

Peace

Posted by: Exile2WV | April 3, 2006 10:27 PM

Ain't no such thing as the "Back of the Rack". Same songs, different station. Which is annoying but not painful, if you're like me and only listen to music for a half-hour a day or so.

Posted by: Mark | April 3, 2006 10:51 PM

I'll be blunt. This totally sucks.
First WARX, one of the world's amazing oldies stations, now WBIG. What is this ,a game of Survivor?
I don't even live in the area. I live in Baltimore. And frankly,I'll only be here for 2 more weeks before moving back to Maine.
But I still care and am still disturbed.
I listened to WARX online; I can get WBIG in Baltimore. I go to DC monthly and always enjoyed listening to WBIG when I went. Now DC, like hundreds of cities across the country, following in Baltimore's footsteps from last spring, has no oldies station.
And then there were none...
I'm amazed my hometown (Portland ME) has been spared so far - we'll see how long that lasts.

Posted by: Kate | April 4, 2006 2:45 AM

At the risk of starting a storm here, I quit listening to WBIG not because I didn't like the music (I love oldies), or because I disliked the morning team (although I didn't like them!), but because they're a Clear Channel station and I loathe Clear Channel. I dislike them because they eat up smaller stations, because I believe they make larger markets into soulless clones -- and I disagree vehemently with their politics. So, I vote with my radio dial and I vote not to listen to a Clear Channel station, any Clear Channel station -- ever, even if it means I turn the radio off! Ain't America grand?

Posted by: Arlington, VA | April 4, 2006 8:27 AM

DC hasn't had a good music station in years, many years. Smaller market music stations still play that deep variety, even when it comes to classical music. Our classical station is stodgy too. Bye, bye Oldies on 100.3FM, you were a pale reflection of what you could have been anyway. Sigh!

Posted by: Phil | April 4, 2006 8:28 AM

The new format isn't that bad. I usually listen to 103.9 The Eagle.

Posted by: WB | April 4, 2006 8:58 AM

I stopped listening to Classic Rock 94.7 years ago when they started carrying ads for gun shops in Prince William County. I realized that as a 48-year-old suburban white mom, I was not the right demographic for that station.

I was so much happier not listening to "classic rock" and felt like I was moving on with my life. I went back to WHFS and started listening to Z104 to hear new music and liked what I heard. Alas, they're gone now.

Moving from Oldies to Classic Rock reminds me of the luddites my age who refuse to learn anything new. I say to them: get an iPod! Explore iTunes and buy new songs one at a time! Get your kids to fill your iPod (that's lots of fun)! Listen to NPR, or better yet... Washington Post Radio! Do something different with your life! Stop living in your high school years.. they were not the best years of your life!

Posted by: TBG | April 4, 2006 5:57 PM

"Hotel California" was the THIRD song they played?!? Gaah!!

If there was more DIVERSITY on the classic rock stations I'd listen sometimes. I can think of a few dozen songs at least that I used to hear all the time on Boston's WBCN when it was *good* (I'm thinking the 1978-83ish era) and that are *never* played anymore, anywhere (maybe not even on XM).

And yes, as I've gotten older I do explore music that's new to me -- Celtic rock and delta blues among them.

Posted by: Patty | April 4, 2006 7:29 PM

To TBG, what type of music should white women listen to? While you're living in your mini-mansions in the suburbs and fiddling with your ipods, I choose not to be go through life with my nose up in the air and telling others how to live. Rock on!

Posted by: WB | April 5, 2006 10:33 AM

I have long given up on local radio. Thank goodness for internet radio!

Posted by: dc dude | April 5, 2006 2:59 PM